I believe i found the reason for the pit on Oak Island and it wasnt for treasure.

rowanns

Jan 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The retreat of the glaciers has enabled land masses to rise, which has put downward pressure on coastlines. Add to this the historical FACT that ocean levels have risen over the past centuries and it would only take less than a foot to turn what was once a dry area into a flooding beach. The artificial components of Smith's Cove could easily, easily, have been dry hundreds of years ago. We can't talk about rising ocean levels without talking about glacial retreat. The two do not exist separately.

rowanns

Jan 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay probably not related but a question and a thought. How much higher is the ocean level now vs when all this was supposed to have happened?
Just thinking that traps of flooding tunnels were not. Way back when they weren't flood tunnels, they were dry. The rising ocean levels have just slowly flooded them.

Even without the ice melt to raise it, how many ships, planes, bullets, bombs, and just plain old trash have been dumped in the ocean? That alone would raise the ocean level slightly. So today, places that were dry are now wet. Pits that were dry are now flooded.

Even if sea levels along coastlines have risen only an eighth of an inch annually, we are talking about a significant change when we start talking about hundreds of years.

rowanns

Jan 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Though the series is over for now on the History Channel, there is one more tidbit I'd like to throw out to folks. Interestingly enough, there are two islands here called Oak Island - the one in the Mahone Bay area, but another on the other side of the province in the Bay of Fundy. This not at all famous Oak Island is not an island anymore because of the dyking effort of early Acadian settlers in the area. During its time, however, it was an island and the only island in the area that had oak trees growing on it, identical to the more famous Oak Island. Both islands lie near rivers that would take one inland to the same area, or at least to the same watershed area. Coincidence?

skumpa

Mar 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone know how big the tree (with block and tackle) was? How big was the limb? How much weight could it have held?

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone know how big the tree (with block and tackle) was? How big was the limb? How much weight could it have held?

The evidence, objects and clues found all pointed to one logical explanation.

That being the "truth" - The Freemasons built it!

“… when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth…”

Start by eliminating the "impossible" as to who could not have built it.

This lies with the "probable" time line of construction

It is claimed that the three discoverers found the pit in 1795 ad

If the information as to the large mature Oak Tree capable of supporting the Block and Tackle hanging over the Pit is correct than it would have been a tree of at least 75 years of age.

Experts state that Oak trees (not of old growth oak forests) have a tree life span of from 100 – 150 with 125 being the middle years.

This would place the earliest construction of the Money Pit at around 1745
ad

The Oak wood from the platforms carbon tested in 1981 to 1670 ad – 1780 ad

http://www.oakislandtreasure.c...

The use throughout the Pit and Tunnels of Coconut Fiber would prove that no construction earlier than the 1700 ad would have been possible.

Coconut Trees were only introduced outside of Malaysia after 1550 ad and the Coconut Fiber was not possible for use until the latter part of 1600’s with no known industry producing the coconut fiber.

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-on...®ion_ID=8&page=spread& ref=coconut

Other items located on Oak Island support 18th century:
Boatswains Whistle
Wrought Iron ruler
Wrought Iron Scissors
Wrought Iron Nails
Iron Fragments
Cornish Poll-Pick, Axe
Shoe
Block and Tackle
Parchment Fragment

This all supports a time line of around 1750 ad and eliminates Vikings,Druids and Knight Templars as being possible builders.

Pirates would also have been unlikely to have constructed a Treasure Vault on Oak Island.
It would have been an unnatural behavior for Pirates to go to this extreme and leave any sort of treasure for any length of time.
Oak Island is located 40 miles south of Halifax, Nova Scotia, in an enclosed Mahone Bay
After the 1600's, Halifax was England's central location for its Royal Navy in the New World.
Mahone Bay would have been a one way trap for any Pirate going in or out with them being very conspicuous.

Oak Island in 1762 ad, was a fortunate and planned choice for the Freemasons, as It was far easier to conceal their treasure in the New World with the help of the
Royal Navy and the Masonic organization presently there.

Noted New world Freemasons:
Johnathan Belcher – Lieutenant Governor of Nova Scotia (1760 – 1763)
He was based in Halifax Nova Scotia and was in charge over the Royal Navy at what is Oak Island.
His father was Jonathan Belcher senior, first Freemason of North America and the “Senior Freemason of America”

John Mitchell – creator of the Mitchell map 1755 ad
He was stationed in Halifax and provided a very concise map showing the islands around Nova Scotia and what is today Oak Island.

The "true" builders of Oak Island Treasure Pit who had the motive, opportunity and the best ability were the "Freemasons".

NostraDanis

Feb 16, 2014
The Bluegrass
Primary Interest:
Other
Though the series is over for now on the History Channel, there is one more tidbit I'd like to throw out to folks. Interestingly enough, there are two islands here called Oak Island - the one in the Mahone Bay area, but another on the other side of the province in the Bay of Fundy. This not at all famous Oak Island is not an island anymore because of the dyking effort of early Acadian settlers in the area. During its time, however, it was an island and the only island in the area that had oak trees growing on it, identical to the more famous Oak Island. Both islands lie near rivers that would take one inland to the same area, or at least to the same watershed area. Coincidence?

I love big, juicy coincidences like this.

Where exactly, on a modern map, would one find this former-Oak Island-to-the-West?

rowanns

Jan 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi there NostraDanis!

I have a picture in one of my books referencing Oak Island and a couple of months ago I went to the area of NS first settled by the French, now referred to as Acadians. I think I found the landlocked island, but can't be 100% sure. Give me a moment or two to track down what book I have it in and get the coordinates from that. It isn't an island anymore so a modern map won't be any good. I may be able to track down an older one in our archives up here. If so, I'll send you the link. I don't know if there is anything to it, but it is fun!

NostraDanis

Feb 16, 2014
The Bluegrass
Primary Interest:
Other
That would be wonderful , Rowanns. And, yes it is fun, which is what this is all supposed to be about, isn't it!

I, also, have heard of this other Oak Island somewhere before, but I can't remember where, either! If you can recall what waterway that fed inland was nearby, that would probably do the trick.

Happy hunting!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never understood why the approach of a "strip mine" spiral pattern dig was not thought of as an option... let alone attempted.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It may very well be, but only if the rich brother has his solid proof. Such an undertaking would be very expensive.

rowanns

Jan 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi there NostraDanis,

Here is a google link to that other Oak Island on the other side of Nova Scotia. I think it's important to remember that obviously there was an island at one point in what is now a dry area, or the name wouldn't still stand. We are in strong Acadian country in this area, as well as the epicentre so to speak of Glooscap's deeds. Nearby is the Avon River, as well as the St. Croix. The interesting thing about the province, and it is known that this occurred frequently in the past, is that it is possible to cross it at a number of locations using rivers and lakes - we are loaded with lakes. If wanted wanted to speculate in a certain direction, one could suggest that this other Oak Island was a signpost to go inland at that point, using the rivers and lakes, to come out at the other side near the other Oak Island, which it is completely possible to do.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.1183402,-64.2571168,1731m/data=!3m1!1e3

Cheers!

Last edited:

NostraDanis

Feb 16, 2014
The Bluegrass
Primary Interest:
Other
Outstanding, Rowanns, my a friend!

So, let me pass along a couple of thoughts that are pure speculation and ramblings of a novice after briefly checking out the link to the "other" Oak Island:

At some point in time in the past, there were two small, rather unremarkable islands off the shores of N. S. (or whatever it may have been called at the time) that were named "Oak Island."

It seems in dispute, at the very least, whether Oak trees were indigenous to the area, if not, it would make it a strange name to give an island - much less two.

Each of these Oak Islands are next to a significant waterway leading inland;The Gold River & Gaspereau Rivers. Gaspereau, according to my friend Google, is of French (Acadian) origin and refers to a kind of fish. I would be interested to know what this waterway's name was before the Acadian/French name.

If you follow these rivers inland they come together in the middle of Nova Scotia; you might say that this is where these two rivers intersect, or... cross. This is in and around a little town called New Ross.

I wonder if there are any interesting archaeological sites, or local legends in that area. (wink - wink)

There sure seem to be alot of things here that make you go, "hmmm". But, isn't it fun?
Thank you so much for the link, Rowanns. I believe you live in a very interesting and old part of the "New World".

Blue skies and following seas!

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a scenario no one has mentioned.

What if there was a treasure there, and one of the many searchers found it, and simply kept Quiet?

It's what you are supposed to do......avoid law suits, taxes, claimants, etc. It would cheat everyone out of an explanation, but couldn't this be a possibility?

O

Old Silver

Here is a scenario no one has mentioned.

What if there was a treasure there, and one of the many searchers found it, and simply kept Quiet?

It's what you are supposed to do......avoid law suits, taxes, claimants, etc. It would cheat everyone out of an explanation, but couldn't this be a possibility?

I think it has been mentioned already, but yes, that's a possibility. In my opinion, as in most other treasure leads, there are too many possibilities. As someone once wrote, "when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

goldenrecoveries

Oct 6, 2014
I Forgot
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome appleC :thumbsup:

the unfortunate thing is, I believe we have already explained the money pit.

it's a hole dug by treasure hunters,
out of the romance of finding buried riches beyond belief.

and the tunnels are just natural occurrences that helped feed the fury by happy accident :thumbsup:

add a little greed in between somewhere.

the coconut fiber either to try to block the flow of ocean water in,
or from unrelated happy accicdent also.

started by a lonely kid being told stories from his parents of pirates and
buried treasure, used his imagination to keep from going nuts on a small island
actually got believed, at some point and it spiraled into what we have now.

I wonder how many kids out there watched a movie about pirates,
and went outside searching for pirate treasure after.

back then, it was bed time stories, which told to a child,
by a parent he emulated, were probably even more convincing.
so much so, he probably found signs of pirates, and convinced others
it's there. :laughing7:

I really wish I would have saved my documentation that showed that it wasn't even three BOYS, that started digging the money pit. It was actually three young men/farmers, who were some of the original modern settlers on the island. Then ONE person wrote "boys", instead of young men. Ever since then every "writer" picked up on "boys", and ran with it, citing as documentation the story that originally referred to "boys", as if it were true. In other words, one error, referred back to the same error! As a side note, it was VERY common in those times to refer to young men as "boys". Sometimes even older men were referred as "boys". Even today's we have the saying "good old boys".

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Here you go. The Oak Island Legend

Yep the main "boy" was in his 30's according to records of the time frame that they found the pit.

AARC, miners are not dumb folks, when they strip mine they already know for a fact where the goodies are, and the costs involved to get to them, and get them to market. At least on my property, before they stripped it, they dug a whole lotta drill sites to check for locations and amounts of coal.

Strip mining the island, would involve going through all the trash and previous digs (some with heavy equipment) just to get to virgin soil to look for what ever might be there. I don't think any mining company would go in blind for such. They would want all their ducks lined up and not a bunch of stories without proof, before turning a shovel.

The Brothers are nothing more then a TV show, they are not miners in any sense of the word. No way would they dilly dally around like that in real life. They'd be broke doing a job like that pretty darn quick.

Last edited:

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt the EPA will allow strip mining on the island regardless if some how some way they knew exactly where the was a treasure... There are just alot of rules/laws in place that are making it tough for the Brothers and or anyone else to go about searching the way they'd like too. Be nice to damn up the ocean where they think they found some direction rocks out front of the swamp to hopefully find the water trap feeds and just dig backwards to the pit and be done with it but you can't do that now... Everything has to be approved and signed off of. You can't just go in and do whatever you want anymore like the good ole days..

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you follow these rivers inland they come together in the middle of Nova Scotia; you might say that this is where these two rivers intersect, or... cross. This is in and around a little town called New Ross.

They don't intersect ... or cross. One flows north, the other south. For them to intersect, they would have to flow uphill.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread