I believe i found the reason for the pit on Oak Island and it wasnt for treasure.

applecrack

Jan 22, 2014
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Whites XLT
Whites TM808
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I love the mystery of Oak Island and have for a long time wondered what may be buried there. Well after many long hours of thought I came to an idea and everything seems to be coming together but not for treasure hunters im sorry to say. And I also have a question, is there a reward or something for discovering the real reason for the pit on Oak Island? I hate to sound like that but I really believe I am on to something and I don't want someone taking my idea and running with it. Is that wrong of me? I am a Police Officer and I looked at the mystery as I would a cold case. Because the mystery is on an island I was able to start from the outside and work in towards the pit. And because of this I was able to see what the pit may have been used for and why coconut fiber was on the island and in great supply. Most people seem to start at the pit or close to it and that's not the story, the story is the beaches. Why would someone stop there? It wasn't on purpose I would bet. And one of those coves is man made. Think, why would you make a cove???? Its not for treasure, perhaps it was to repair a large ship. And before you repair a large ship it was emptied of all its cargo which was all wrapped in coconut fiber as they used to do to make the ship lighter. But you need a way to put the water back in the cove once you drained it. And the fill in the pit, all the materials they cut down to make the cove. And all the fibers were also left there and also thrown in the pit. That's whys its on the beach and in the pit. Someone crash a ship there and repaired it in a manmade cove. No one digs a pit that big unless its to keep men busy while they were stranded on an island. They drained part of the cove and then refilled it and sailed away leaving coconut fiber, logs and debris in the hole they dug. No one digs a hole that big. Have you tried to dig a hole before??? Its not easy and one that big is almost impossible to even think of, unless your ordered to do it. Im willing to bet that someone left evidence on those beaches. Think about the food and drink necessary and sleeping quarters required. People need to stop looking in the pit and look for evidence of people surviving on the island long enough to dig a 90 foot deep hole. That's just my opinion but its better then thinking someone dug 90 feet to drop a couple chests of gold that you cant retrieve. Just a thought.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I'll go along with all of it except that I see no reason for the pit if your theory is correct. Just to keep the men busy ? To what end ? It would make more sense to keep them busy building shelter, actually working on repairing the ship, etc. A hole that deep just to pass the time ? I don't buy that part. I'm also not convinced there was ever any treasure though. I believe the "artifacts" that have been found were simply lost by previous treasure hunters. What I might by as far as the pit is concerned is that it was a well dug to supply them with fresh water.

OP
OP
A

applecrack

Jan 22, 2014
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Whites XLT
Whites TM808
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I don't think I said this well but I was trying to say that they dug the hole to drain the cove.

OP
OP
A

applecrack

Jan 22, 2014
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Whites XLT
Whites TM808
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Since the drain holes were dug above the bottom on the pit I believe they had a certain depth they were going for. This would mean they had a certain something they were trying to fill it with.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A big flaw there is that all the water naturally occurring on the island is fresh. The water in the Pit and 10X is salt. That only means that the water from the cove was used to fill the Pit.

Remember, the Pit was dry for the first 90 feet. When the platform containing the engraved rock was passed, the Pit flooded. That is why they think the hieroglyphs on the stone was a code used to tell how to dig without the pit flooding.

Too far from me to delve too deeply into it, but it is a great story.

Mike

mudd

Mar 16, 2013
Kansas city,KS
Detector(s) used
a 50$ Silver seeker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A big flaw there is that all the water naturally occurring on the island is fresh. The water in the Pit and 10X is salt. That only means that the water from the cove was used to fill the Pit.

salt and fresh water

Remember, the Pit was dry for the first 90 feet. When the platform containing the engraved rock was passed, the Pit flooded. That is why they think the hieroglyphs on the stone was a code used to tell how to dig without the pit flooding.

YEP

Too far from me to delve too deeply into it, but it is a great story.

Mike

it will be cool if they find it, but what is it

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome appleC :thumbsup:

the unfortunate thing is, I believe we have already explained the money pit.

it's a hole dug by treasure hunters,
out of the romance of finding buried riches beyond belief.

and the tunnels are just natural occurrences that helped feed the fury by happy accident :thumbsup:

add a little greed in between somewhere.

the coconut fiber either to try to block the flow of ocean water in,
or from unrelated happy accicdent also.

started by a lonely kid being told stories from his parents of pirates and
buried treasure, used his imagination to keep from going nuts on a small island
actually got believed, at some point and it spiraled into what we have now.

I wonder how many kids out there watched a movie about pirates,
and went outside searching for pirate treasure after.

back then, it was bed time stories, which told to a child,
by a parent he emulated, were probably even more convincing.
so much so, he probably found signs of pirates, and convinced others
it's there. :laughing7:

Last edited:

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Also, small point: the water in the bigger holes is brackish, not seawater.

Geologists can explain this quite easily. Treasure hunters cannot. Geologists can actually explain most of the island quite easily, but not everyone seems to be interested in what they've been saying. Limestone erosion and sinkholes just don't seem to draw the investors these days.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'd afternoon Ladies and guys, coffee??: May I suggest that most early ships utilized the tidal changes to ground a ship then lay it on it's side to overhaul, repair it., including caulking with fibers - coconut? -

As for the sink holes, while quite logical, fails, if indeed there were platforms every so many ft ???

Don Jose d eLa Mancha

. p..s. Apple crack, I was a fed copper. Hi. A bit of OIRISH extra in your coffee?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might add that coconut fibres were preferred by many Capitans since Nature had used it to spread coconuts throughoutthe tropical seas. by floating. This of course often neede years of floataion to accomplish, so naturally it was considered as a natural for caulking, many times just as it is, others mixed with Tar.

DonJose e La Mancha

Last edited:

aliciakay1981

Dec 9, 2013
north carolina
Detector(s) used
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya'll got it all wrong.......if they ever get to the bottom of that pit they will find a society of crab people (from southpark) living there:tongue3:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eShapeToroidal.jpg

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
With every unexplained issue from ghosts to treasure to aliens there are believers as well as skeptics. Sometimes both sides are so sure they are correct they become irrational and become foolish. It could be something no one has even considered the possibility of yet. That is what makes the world so exciting as well as fuels the hearts of kids and adults alike...

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
G'd afternoon Ladies and guys, coffee??: May I suggest that most early ships utilized the tidal changes to ground a ship then lay it on it's side to overhaul, repair it., including caulking with fibers - coconut? -

As for the sink holes, while quite logical, fails, if indeed there were platforms every so many ft ???

I hadn't considered the ship refit aspect of it, but that's an excellent point. If my ship badly needed a refit and the nearest drydock was several thousand miles away, a beach would do. I'd try to find a location that wouldn't be pounded by the Atlantic's full attention - a cove would be ideal. If I was in an area that I had no business being in, or I was concerned about hostile natives, I'd opt for an island over the mainland. I admitedly did not know that coconut fibers were used for caulking and have not even verified this, but it makes absolutely perfect sense logically - particularly since it was already in use for packing materials and ropes, two things already common on ships. Hmmm...

It's worth noting that applying the terrestrial carbon exchange reservoir calculations to an sample that was exposed to the oceanic carbon exchange reservoir for extended periods of time would probably swing the age around 400 years older than it actually was, indicating fibers from the 17th century. The island was uninhabited at that point. Might be a good place for someone to do a quick-and-dirty ship refit if they didn't want to be found. No idea who or why, but this is at least a hypothesis that I can't shoot down with five minutes worth of research, so I will happily and proudly call your ship refit theory plausible.

As for the platforms, I'm not convinced that they ever existed. All physical evidence of them (and all of the other "discoveries" it seems) no longer exists. How did they lose all of this stuff?

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'd morning Dave, join me for coffee in the patio? to save you a bit of unnecessary trouble -->

During the 13
th
century there was evi
dence of coir yarn being used in building ships in

the Persian Gulf. When Portuguese Admiral Vasco da Gamma sailed in to Kerala, in the
late 15th century, he must have seen this multipurpose fibre. Some where in the historical
archives in Lisbon, there should be reference to coir. Coir is used for caulking, for sealing
the space between the planks and for making ropes for sails and hawsers to tie ships and
hold them during the tidal waves

Coconut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut

... which nails were never used. The 'know how' of coconut ... fiber from The husk of The coconut) is used in ... caulking for boats, and as stuffing fiber .

Coconut husks (coir) are used to make brooms, ropes, mats, brushes, sacks, caulking for boats

Generally okum was used, but in the new world that was not available so naturally they turned to cordage materiel found there, among which was Coconut fibre (Coir) was particularly good, since Nature had constructed it to be practically imune to normal rotting.

Don Jose

p.s.
[h=3]Careening - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/h] en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Careening Careening a sailing vessel is the practice of beaching it at high tide. This is usually done in order to expose one side or another of the ship's hull for maintenance ..

Last edited:

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That deserves a cup of my finest Kona coffee.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Good stuff as always, sir.

I believe that the Arabs were writing about coir around the 11th (?) century; it may have made its way to Europe shortly after that due to cross-pollination, but it took time for things to gain popularity before the advent of electronic communications and highways.

Obviously any fiber would work for caulking (particularly when combined with tar), but a fiber that was engineered to resist seawater...yeah, that would be just what the doctor ordered in the age of wooden ships. A very interesting angle. It unfortunately excludes a few popular treasure theories however.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions