The Templars left a map to the treasure!

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Oh dear God, if you had read the history of the island you would know what is implied and I believe you do...

Believe what you like. Given the sometimes outrageous things written on this forum, I take nothing for granted.

Just below the sand and dirt at Smith's Cove lies Coconut fibers...Better?

Sure.

They have been talking about the coconut fiber since the 1800's and it has been proven that there is still fibers there and you want to know how many...in the show they have dug twice there in Smith's Cove and found coconut fibers and you think it's a coincident, what are the odds of digging two separate holes and finding those two rogue coconuts under ground?

If the people doing the digging had placed those coconuts there the night before, I'd say that the odds would be very high. But never mind that. How much fiber is under there?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fairly new? Carbon-14 dating was favored in the 1940's but is now obsolete. Doesn't work very well for samples under 500 years old or those submersed in seawater (because it assumes an "air" atmosphere to decay in without other sources of dissolved carbon - CO2).

There are many more modern isotope combinations used now.

OP
OP
T

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
If the people doing the digging had placed those coconuts there the night before, I'd say that the odds would be very high. But never mind that. How much fiber is under there?

You tell us that it is possible that the current Oak Island treasure hunters had dug the holes the night before and place the coconut fibers in the whole the night before just so it looks good on camera but didn't fill us in on where they picked up 600+ year old coconut fiber. Then proceed to ask a nonsensical question as to "How Much Fiber", which you know the answer doesn't exist.

OP
OP
T

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
Fairly new? Carbon-14 dating was favored in the 1940's but is now obsolete. Doesn't work very well for samples under 500 years old or those submersed in seawater (because it assumes an "air" atmosphere to decay in without other sources of dissolved carbon - CO2).

There are many more modern isotope combinations used now.

Lets look at it this way, the ability to Carbon date has been around since 1940's. Yes it has gone through changes but really the ability to do it has only been here for what 77 years. Was it cost effective to have it done? What information in the carbon dating could get them to the bottom of the shaft quicker? Out of all the possible suspects in this quest to find out "Who did it", fits the time frame based on the Carbon Dating Finding?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
True - not a thing would be proven with an accurate date of some surface fibers.

But then - they're playing around in Borehole 10-X that isn't even on the site of the original "pit" - which has been dug into a dozen times and with heavy equipment.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
You tell us that it is possible that the current Oak Island treasure hunters had dug the holes the night before and place the coconut fibers in the whole the night before just so it looks good on camera but didn't fill us in on where they picked up 600+ year old coconut fiber.

I haven't checked eBay yet, but it's a rare day when I can't find someone, somewhere in the world that can't give me exactly what I want. To be fair, I'd probably have to hit some forums to source something like this.

Are you saying that it's impossible? If you want some 600-year-old coir, I can probably get you some. I will not do it for free though. You'll pay me for the product, and (here's the main expense here), you'll pay me for my time. We'll also need to go over a few other things as well, as I have certain rules that I have to follow if I'm working for someone other than my employer.

Then proceed to ask a nonsensical question as to "How Much Fiber", which you know the answer doesn't exist.

The answer certainly exists. There is X amount of fiber on that island - no more and no less. I don't need to know the exact amount though. A ballpark figure would answer a lot of questions. If someone were to excavate 40 yards worth of Smith's Cove and they turned up 30 yards of fibers, that would pretty much settle this particular line of thinking. If they turned up a few yards on other beaches...well, now we're dealing with a real mystery.

If they managed to get some fibers with intact DNA and figured out whether we're dealing with Indian or Pacific coconuts, we'd have a potential game-changer.

OP
OP
T

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
I haven't checked eBay yet, but it's a rare day when I can't find someone, somewhere in the world that can't give me exactly what I want. To be fair, I'd probably have to hit some forums to source something like this.

Are you saying that it's impossible? If you want some 600-year-old coir, I can probably get you some. I will not do it for free though. You'll pay me for the product, and (here's the main expense here), you'll pay me for my time. We'll also need to go over a few other things as well, as I have certain rules that I have to follow if I'm working for someone other than my employer.

So you are saying that it is more plausible that someone had purchased rotten coconut fiber from someone on Ebay that by the way has access to carbon dating or a really uncanny sense of smell that can date by the stench of decay!?! or does it seem maybe a little more plausible that somebody by design purposely placed it there 600+ years ago for reasons that are still in question?

The answer certainly exists. There is X amount of fiber on that island - no more and no less. I don't need to know the exact amount though. A ballpark figure would answer a lot of questions. If someone were to excavate 40 yards worth of Smith's Cove and they turned up 30 yards of fibers, that would pretty much settle this particular line of thinking. If they turned up a few yards on other beaches...well, now we're dealing with a real mystery.

So where did you find the answer to the fiber count?

If they managed to get some fibers with intact DNA and figured out whether we're dealing with Indian or Pacific coconuts, we'd have a potential game-changer.

According to you it should only tell us where they bought it on Ebay.

OP
OP
T

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
True - not a thing would be proven with an accurate date of some surface fibers.

But then - they're playing around in Borehole 10-X that isn't even on the site of the original "pit" - which has been dug into a dozen times and with heavy equipment.

Yeah, Dan Blankenship dug 10X because of "Dowsing Rods"...That is great because he found water...The only reason why they're still messing with 10X I'm sure has to do with their contract with Dan.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
So you are saying that it is more plausible that someone had purchased rotten coconut fiber from someone on Ebay that by the way has access to carbon dating or a really uncanny sense of smell that can date by the stench of decay!?! or does it seem maybe a little more plausible that somebody by design purposely placed it there 600+ years ago for reasons that are still in question?

I don't know for sure. Do you know for sure?

Just to clarify (and I think that I already have, but you seem determined to discuss it anyway), I don't believe that this is what happened. I just can't disprove that it did.

So where did you find the answer to the fiber count?

No. But to be fair, I haven't really been working the problem. Honestly, I was hoping that someone else with more invested in this already had an answer.

According to you it should only tell us where they bought it on Ebay.

Admittedly a bit of a problem for someone trying to prove the nature of the treasure there, which I am not. I don't think that there was ever a treasure there to begin with. I do appreciate that you gave the issue some critical thought, though. You must now understand the magnitude of the problem.

Yeah, Dan Blankenship dug 10X because of "Dowsing Rods"...That is great because he found water...The only reason why they're still messing with 10X I'm sure has to do with their contract with Dan.

Are you implying that dowsing doesn't work?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, a boatload of guys tried to introduce coconuts to Oak Island. Peeled off the husks and planted them . . . but nothing grew.

So they left disgusted.

Not a very exciting treasure tale.

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So, a boatload of guys tried to introduce coconuts to Oak Island. Peeled off the husks and planted them . . . but nothing grew.

So they left disgusted.

Not a very exciting treasure tale.

Possible, yes, but if so it was still well before the 15th century, unless you can believe that they tried to plant centuries old seeds. Who would have brought coconuts to plant during a time period when they could only have existed in the Eastern Mediterranean or Pacific Basin? Still a mystery no matter how you look at it.
Cheers, Loki

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The process of Carbon 14 dating is also unreliable for anything LESS than 60 years old. It compares the ratio of Carbon-14 to Carbon-13 (C14 deteriorates to C-13). But the Hydrogen bomb tests put a lot of C-13 into the atmosphere.

If you test a sample of seawater from the surface today it tests to be 440 years old using the assumption of a pre-1950 sample.

So if the fiber was from the 1960's . . .

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's what happens when you use the Templar Decoding Ring but forget the key letter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread