Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Live in the southwest I am somewhat familiar with Spanish treasure methods. +The treasures are never easy to find. There are always death traps. And markings for those who understand the signs. Every Spanish site or mine is completely sealed and man traps everuywhere.

Where there is water, you can bet a water death trap is around. the Spanish explorers used Native labor. HUndreds if needed. And maps were always updated and bills of lading and transport documents always made.

Death traps are set ff by humans. Could be massive rock slide, buried unescapable vaults. IMHO when the detector guy found a strong sognal in the cove water and then it was gone means something. My guess is the treasure is under water. Strange

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know where you got your info, but death traps are exceedingly rare. More people are killed by bee stings every year than have EVER been killed by a Spanish Death Trap in the history of man. Treasures are out there, and finding them takes either a great deal of luck and/or research and wearing out boot leather.

Best of luck - Mike

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone ever found treasure by following signs or a "map"?

Ever?

Anyone?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody has been watching the movie Goonies too many times! :dontknow:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone ever found treasure by following signs or a "map"?

Ever?

Anyone?

To answer your question, YES. many people. And since I know the next question, one name is Willie Doughit (pronounced Doth-it). In 1928 he either deciphered a map or murdered a kid named Jack Reynolds who had deciphered a map. Willie and his friend Buster Ward found a cave in the Caballo Mountains in N.M. with over 2,000 x 40 pound gold bars. He was kidnapped twice and tortured by people trying to find the location of the cave. After the second kidnapping, he took all the gold he could manage, moved to San Diego. Changed his name to Lawrence Foreman, and lived there until his death in 1998. He never had a job from 1933 until 1998, but when he died, his estate was still $3.5 million (that may or may not include the $1.5 million in cash his girlfriend took from his home.

Milton Ernest "Doc" Noss, Supposedly using information from Willie's Map, Doc found a cave system in the San Andres Mountains in NM. In this cave were cases of jewels and old artifacts. In a lower cave were stacks of metal bars he thought were "pig iron". When he brought up one of those pig iron bars, he nicked an edge, and it turned out they were gold dore bars. Long story short, when trying to blast a boulder out of the cave for better access, he sealed it shut. Soon after, it became part of White Sands Missile Range. An MP Captain named Orby Swanner signed a notarized affidavit, stating that he was part of the military recovery team in 1961, and personally witnessed the military flatbed about 93,000,000 (yes 93 million) troy ounces of gold from Victorio Peak.

In Sonora, Mex. a friend of mine was contacted by a small town to help them decipher a letter left by a local military commander in 1723 that described (in code) how to find the wealth of a small mining town that was being abandoned due to hostile Indian attacks. We spent several months going over the letter and carvings on a low wall in the town. The first step to finding the wealth, was to find the mission bell.

sonmissionbell3smxi9.jpg sonmissionbell1nx0.jpg

Because the area in question for many years is being fought over by Narco Trafficers, and the corrupt nature of the Policia and Federales, they decided to keep everything under wraps. That was about seven years ago. I don't know what (if anything has happened since then).

...............and yes. Following a trail of signs cut into (and made out of) rocks, I found an old sealed Spanish mine. It was a very low grade gold sulphide vein that ran through it (which explains why the Spanish didn't work it to death). Due to the location, working (or claiming) it is impossible. But inside the mineshaft, I found a rotten leather sack with 22 gold and silver coins inside. The newest was 1788. Worth a total of about $20K. I kept a 1 Escudo Gold and an 8 Reale Silver. This was in 2000. I still carry the 8 reale every day.

I know of a bunch more, but for all intents and purposes, there is treasure out there to be found. You just have to get off your butts. HAHAHA

OH ........ and about the death traps. I have personally seen one in twenty-two years. I have pictures of another one that is beyond doubt authentic (it hid a rich gold mine in Mexico). I know a story about one in Spain in a tunnel under a castle.

Best - mike

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah yes the old Spanish Treasure Trove Death Traps

Death Traps

View attachment 1081134

HAHAHA Thanks for the link to my website.

Enjoy!

Here are some pics of the one protecting the gold mine in Mexico:

The big clue at the top of the ridge above the mine (man's silhouette looking down at the mine).
silohette.jpg

Before digging it out.
DeathTrap1.jpg

After clearing away the debris.
DeathTrap1a.jpg Death-Trap-numbered.jpg

The way it works is: #1 very large boulder balanced on the tip of a point of bedrock. #3 is a 6 foot long rock blocking the entrance of the mine (entrance is behind the big boulder). #2 is the face from the silhouette and keeps the big boulder pushed against the opposite side. When you climb behind the big boulder to get into the mine, you find your way blocked by #3. When you move #3 out of your way, it releases #2, which in turn lets #1 roll off the tip of the point of bedrock. Gravity makes it fall behind the point. So, if you are not crushed by the boulder, then it traps you behind it. The point of bedrock prevents you from rolling it out of your way, and you are trapped forever unless you have friends still outside.

Those pics were given to me by Mike Pickett, and two of them used to be on his now defunct website treasurehuntersuniversity.com.

Mike

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
3,188 tons of gold? 80 large tractor trailers carrying 80,000 pounds each (not counting the weight of the substantial containers that would be needed)? I'll need more than one mans rumored affidavit for the volume as we didn't build a second Fort Knox, but we can assume something was found. So that's two (same treasure found by two people only counts as one). ;-).

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3,188 tons of gold? 80 large tractor trailers carrying 80,000 pounds each (not counting the weight of the substantial containers that would be needed)? I'll need more than one mans rumored affidavit for the volume as we didn't build a second Fort Knox, but we can assume something was found. So that's two (same treasure found by two people only counts as one). ;-).

Do the research instead of just asking someone else to prove it to you. THAT'S what I and several other people have done. I spent more than twenty years chasing down leads, talking to people, finding old out of print books, newspaper articles, and translating Colonial Spanish Documents. I just gave some examples that answer your question. Don't believe me, that's fine. Do the research yourself. Spend all the time and money I did checking out different stories.

What I posted is the tip of the iceberg regarding treasures found. I have been fortunate in that in the twenty odd years I have been doing this, I have met several people who got their great wealth from finds made in the US and Mexico.

Don't just expect everybody else to just puke up decades of personal research. I promise you though, that if you spend the time and effort, you will find much of the same I have found.

Mike

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

READING IS FUNDAMENTAL! The two people knew each other, but their treasures were in two separate mountain ranges (Caballos and San Andres). Two separate caches.

Mike

O

Old Silver

Do the research instead of just asking someone else to prove it to you. THAT'S what I and several other people have done. I spent more than twenty years chasing down leads, talking to people, finding old out of print books, newspaper articles, and translating Colonial Spanish Documents. I just gave some examples that answer your question. Don't believe me, that's fine. Do the research yourself. Spend all the time and money I did checking out different stories.

What I posted is the tip of the iceberg regarding treasures found. I have been fortunate in that in the twenty odd years I have been doing this, I have met several people who got their great wealth from finds made in the US and Mexico.

Don't just expect everybody else to just puke up decades of personal research. I promise you though, that if you spend the time and effort, you will find much of the same I have found.

Mike

Guys like Charlie don't really want to know the facts, all they care about is being against something. They always ask for proof, but even when they get proof they find ways to discredit it. It's sad to think that some people don't have the ability to believe things unless they read it from a text book.

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they hid a clue.........look what I found when looking at your photo more closely

View attachment 1081465

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im still a believer though

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To answer your question, YES. many people. And since I know the next question, one name is Willie Doughit (pronounced Doth-it). In 1928 he either deciphered a map or murdered a kid named Jack Reynolds who had deciphered a map. Willie and his friend Buster Ward found a cave in the Caballo Mountains in N.M. with over 2,000 x 40 pound gold bars. He was kidnapped twice and tortured by people trying to find the location of the cave. After the second kidnapping, he took all the gold he could manage, moved to San Diego. Changed his name to Lawrence Foreman, and lived there until his death in 1998. He never had a job from 1933 until 1998, but when he died, his estate was still $3.5 million (that may or may not include the $1.5 million in cash his girlfriend took from his home.

Milton Ernest "Doc" Noss, Supposedly using information from Willie's Map, Doc found a cave system in the San Andres Mountains in NM. In this cave were cases of jewels and old artifacts. In a lower cave were stacks of metal bars he thought were "pig iron". When he brought up one of those pig iron bars, he nicked an edge, and it turned out they were gold dore bars. Long story short, when trying to blast a boulder out of the cave for better access, he sealed it shut. Soon after, it became part of White Sands Missile Range. An MP Captain named Orby Swanner signed a notarized affidavit, stating that he was part of the military recovery team in 1961, and personally witnessed the military flatbed about 93,000,000 (yes 93 million) troy ounces of gold from Victorio Peak.

In Sonora, Mex. a friend of mine was contacted by a small town to help them decipher a letter left by a local military commander in 1723 that described (in code) how to find the wealth of a small mining town that was being abandoned due to hostile Indian attacks. We spent several months going over the letter and carvings on a low wall in the town. The first step to finding the wealth, was to find the mission bell.

View attachment 1081111 View attachment 1081112

Because the area in question for many years is being fought over by Narco Trafficers, and the corrupt nature of the Policia and Federales, they decided to keep everything under wraps. That was about seven years ago. I don't know what (if anything has happened since then).

...............and yes. Following a trail of signs cut into (and made out of) rocks, I found an old sealed Spanish mine. It was a very low grade gold sulphide vein that ran through it (which explains why the Spanish didn't work it to death). Due to the location, working (or claiming) it is impossible. But inside the mineshaft, I found a rotten leather sack with 22 gold and silver coins inside. The newest was 1788. Worth a total of about $20K. I kept a 1 Escudo Gold and an 8 Reale Silver. This was in 2000. I still carry the 8 reale every day.

I know of a bunch more, but for all intents and purposes, there is treasure out there to be found. You just have to get off your butts. HAHAHA

OH ........ and about the death traps. I have personally seen one in twenty-two years. I have pictures of another one that is beyond doubt authentic (it hid a rich gold mine in Mexico). I know a story about one in Spain in a tunnel under a castle.

Best - mike

great story, are the pics on a thread?

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have alluded to the story before, but since there were promises not to reveal locations, I have not told the full story before this post:

Sonora Cache

Mike

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, I don't care about the location I just wanna see the old coins

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whatever. You said "Milton Ernest "Doc" Noss, Supposedly using information from Willie's Map" so I jumped to a misassumption that the treasure was the original Willie had found and lost and not a second titanic treasure that he had just left unattended to.

Yep. I'm big time skeptical. Show me the money.

A weather balloon goes down in the desert and everyone talks about it for 70 years. 93,000,000 troy ounces of gold drives out of the desert with what must have been hundreds of soldiers involved and not a peep for 50 years? Skeptical here. :hello:

Life is easier for pessimists because we are frequently pleasantly surprised. Optimists are frequently disappointed. Do I try to crush dreams? No. If yours were any good I wouldn't make a bit of difference. I'm just groping for facts and evidence.

I appreciate if wealth is found mumm is the word. PT me the images of your Audi Quatro and villa on the ocean and I'll be mumm. Scouts honor.

Last edited:
O

Old Silver

Life is easier for pessimists because we are frequently pleasantly surprised. Optimists are frequently disappointed. Do I try to crush dreams? No. If yours were any good I wouldn't make a bit of difference. I'm just groping for facts and evidence.

And then there are those of us who try to keep an open mind and believe in POSSIBILITIES. Our porridge is not too hot, or not too cold, but it's just right. Try walking the middle of the road and you might find some excitement without the disappointment.

But you don't need any reason to doubt. It's just your nature.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Goes along with my blood type: O negative.

Which, by the way, I have given 106 pints to the Red Cross because I feel an obligation to help strangers. Like beeping your horn when you see another driver weaving erratically and maybe nodding off.

Beep! Beep!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread