Oak Island the Strange, the Bizarre, and Maybe the "Truth!

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Evidence!...You Cannot Handle The Evidence!

evidence 3.jpg

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Does wood rot more slowly in the Atlantic than the Pacific? It's an honest question. We had an awful lot of piers around the Puget Sound 100 or so years ago; they're gone now, and the pilings are not in the greatest of shape today. (The later ones that were treated with creosote are holding up pretty well, but I don't think that creosote was a thing a few centuries ago.) Even the ones that were not treated with creosote (and weren't the result of a pier burning to the waterline) are in roughly the same or better shape than those, and they're only about a century old, give or take.

I'm not going to begin to speculate about the woods used, the water temperatures, bacterial action, etc. I'm simply asking the easy question: does wood in the NE rot like wood in the NW? If it's at all similar, the dating of those structures may not be as old as some think. Generally speaking, even with constant human attention, wood does not last long against the ocean in tidal conditions on the scale of centuries.

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Pass The Salt...Please!

Does wood rot more slowly in the Atlantic than the Pacific? It's an honest question. We had an awful lot of piers around the Puget Sound 100 or so years ago; they're gone now, and the pilings are not in the greatest of shape today. (The later ones that were treated with creosote are holding up pretty well, but I don't think that creosote was a thing a few centuries ago.) Even the ones that were not treated with creosote (and weren't the result of a pier burning to the waterline) are in roughly the same or better shape than those, and they're only about a century old, give or take.

I'm not going to begin to speculate about the woods used, the water temperatures, bacterial action, etc. I'm simply asking the easy question: does wood in the NE rot like wood in the NW? If it's at all similar, the dating of those structures may not be as old as some think. Generally speaking, even with constant human attention, wood does not last long against the ocean in tidal conditions on the scale of centuries.

My findings along with some others are that "Salt" acts like a preservative on wood...not only preventing oxygen from interacting with the wood, but also dissuades the Toledo Worms from destroying it.

The Oceans around Oak Island are one of the Saltiest in the World.

Salt Water of Oceans.jpg

https://www.livescience.com/30802-earth-ocean-saltiness-new-map.html

Last edited:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Looks to be tidal fish kiddle ,fishgarth , fish weir. Native Americans did use them ? TP

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Water Water Everywhere...But Not A Drop To Drink...Because It Is Too Darn Salty!

Not in the coastal regions, they're not. Offshore, sure.

The area around Oak Island are subject to some of the Highest Tidal Shifts...in the World.

Salt Water of Oceans 3.jpg Salt Water of Oceans 2.jpg

With each of the World's Saltiest Gulf Streams meeting at the doorstep of Mahone Bay...these Tides suck all that salty water onto their shores.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
The area around Oak Island are subject to some of the Highest Tidal Shifts...in the World.

I've read that the tides in the Bay of Fundy are indeed the largest in the world. However, this isn't the Bay of Fundy. The tides for Mahone Bay appear to be <2m - about half of the tidal shift that we see here at Puget Sound.

With each of the World's Saltiest Gulf Streams meeting at the doorstep of Mahone Bay...these Tides suck all that salty water onto their shores.

I'm not saying that you're wrong or you're right, but the Aquarius salinity map appears to show that the salinity in the area is rather low...roughly equivalent to the Puget Sound. It's also worth noting that the difference between the most saline and least saline water seems to be around 10g/kg. I'm not sure that this would make the difference between pilings lasting for half a century and pilings lasting for multiple centuries.

591162main_pia14786-43_full.jpg

I'm unconvinced that salinity is a factor here. I'm not saying that there's not some other difference between the northern Pacific and Atlantic oceans that causes a significant change in the rate of deterioration, but I am saying that I've been unable to find one yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Here Is Someone...From The Several Billion...Answers...On Oura!

I've read that the tides in the Bay of Fundy are indeed the largest in the world. However, this isn't the Bay of Fundy. The tides for Mahone Bay appear to be <2m - about half of the tidal shift that we see here at Puget Sound.

I'm not saying that you're wrong or you're right, but the Aquarius salinity map appears to show that the salinity in the area is rather low...roughly equivalent to the Puget Sound. It's also worth noting that the difference between the most saline and least saline water seems to be around 10g/kg. I'm not sure that this would make the difference between pilings lasting for half a century and pilings lasting for multiple centuries.

View attachment 1784662

I think the answer you seek depends on the organisms that live in the fresh or salt water, not so much the water itself. In a wooden boat, it is the damp wood above the waterline that rots the fastest, because oxygen that supports fungal and microbial rot is available. In salt water, teredos and other organisms burrow and damage the wood.
Wood that is under water in the absence of oxygen survives for a very long time. A young lady from B.C. has had contract operations in Costa Rica and elsewhere to ‘mine’ the ancient logs that were so dense they sank on the way to mills centuries ago. Gorgeous hardwoods in perfect condition. Wood of quality you cannot get today from living forests.

I'm unconvinced that salinity is a factor here. I'm not saying that there's not some other difference between the northern Pacific and Atlantic oceans that causes a significant change in the rate of deterioration, but I am saying that I've been unable to find one yet.

I think the answer you seek depends on the organisms that live in the fresh or salt water, not so much the water itself. In a wooden boat, it is the damp wood above the waterline that rots the fastest, because oxygen that supports fungal and microbial rot is available. In salt water, teredos and other organisms burrow and damage the wood.
Wood that is under water in the absence of oxygen survives for a very long time. A young lady from B.C. has had contract operations in Costa Rica and elsewhere to ‘mine’ the ancient logs that were so dense they sank on the way to mills centuries ago. Gorgeous hardwoods in perfect condition. Wood of quality you cannot get today from living forests.

Robot

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used

Agreed. We have something of an industry like that around here, people dredging up logs from the turn of last century. We won't see wood like that from live forests for a few hundred years. It's hard to believe how long wood can last when it's kept submerged, and how quickly such wood degrades when it's allowed to dry out. I've read that this is a very real problem when historic shipwrecks are recovered - they have to spray them with salt water to keep them wet until they can chemically treat them, and there's some other stuff that has to happen.

That's not what we're talking about in this case though:

This gets wet and then it dries out, and then it gets wet again...like our rotted out piers out here in the Sound, which don't last that long. (Unless treated with creosote, anyway.)

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Top TV Series...Again!...Believers...Just Can't Get Enough of...This Show!

A steady outing put “Curse of Oak Island” at the top of the Tuesday cable ratings this week.

Top.jpg

Top 25 original cable shows among adults 18-49 for Tuesday, January 21, 2020
ShowNetTimeTotal viewers (000s)18-49 rating
CURSE OF OAK ISLANDHISTORY9:00 PM3,2630.7

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
“What Is The Measure Of A Man?”...Better Yet…What Is The Unit Measure Of A Man?

Measurement.jpg

Similar to my post #1574

It is Strange...that many finds on Oak Island...May have been ignored of a very important Clue!

The Logs and Wrought Iron Spikes are just a few items, that may have left their Finger Prints as Evidence as to “Where these Culprits were from, Who these Depositors may have been, and When these Freemasons were there”.

Season 7 Logs.jpg Oak Island - Chisel.jpg

If I designed and built a deck in North America, it would be in Imperial Measurements... whereas a deck in Europe or Australia would be in Metric.

From these deck's measurements it could be possible to show where and who might have built it.

The same could be said for the Engineered Projects found in Smith’s Cove.

What was the measurement used for these massive undertakings?

Season 7 Logs 2.jpg

If these Measurements used were prior to the 19[SUP]th[/SUP] Century's change to the Metric System then the time and country of origin may be possible to identify!

England - Ell = 45 imperial inches

Scotland - Ell = 37.06 imperial inches

France - Pied Du Roi = 12.79 imperial inches

Spain - Vara = 32.91 imperial inches

South America - Vara = 34.1 imperial inches

Portugal - Vara = 43.5 imperial inches

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The Logs and Wrought Iron Spikes are just a few items, that may have left their Finger Prints as Evidence as to “Where these Culprits were from, Who these Depositors may have been, and When these Freemasons were there”.

View attachment 1794523
View attachment 1794524
Those logs appear to be a cordoury road that were common in Nova Scotia during the 19th century.
No Templars or Freemasons were involved in their construction.

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Appearances Can Be Deceiving!

Those logs appear to be a cordoury road that were common in Nova Scotia during the 19th century.
No Templars or Freemasons were involved in their construction.

Appearances Can Be Deceiving.jpg

What proof do you have to make such a statement!

``A proof is sufficient evidence or a sufficient argument for the truth of a proposition. The concept applies in a variety of disciplines, with both the nature of the evidence or justification and the criteria for sufficiency being area-dependent.``

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1794967

What proof do you have to make such a statement!

``A proof is sufficient evidence or a sufficient argument for the truth of a proposition. The concept applies in a variety of disciplines, with both the nature of the evidence or justification and the criteria for sufficiency being area-dependent.``

A very simple Google search of cordoury log roads in Nova Scotia will provide you with sufficient evidential proof of my statement.
*NOTE* many of those sites contain photos.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread