Oak Island the Strange, the Bizarre, and Maybe the "Truth!

will7782

Dec 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
i will try and be nice here

PAY ATTENTION boys.

not once have i made, or supported the suggestion of Templar involvement. NEVER. you are only proving your BiaS and lack of ability to have an open discussion.

i guess you will resort to your usual strategy and change the topic.
OK, sorry, this topic has had Templaritis for way too long.

will7782

Dec 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not because of me.

So, my previous question. Hundreds or even thousands of man hours to save 5 minutes of walking time????

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Not because of me.

So, my previous question. Hundreds or even thousands of man hours to save 5 minutes of walking time????
That would depend on if the property owner allowed others to use his land as a roadway

will7782

Dec 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are using "speculation" to prove your point.

So are you suggesting it was built AFTER lots were surveyed? There are records of cabbage production from that perion: but no road building.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You are using "speculation" to prove your point.

So are you suggesting it was built AFTER lots were surveyed? There are records of cabbage production from that perion: but no road building.
Land ownership existed prior to the land being surveyed, the survey was just to sell off plots of land, but someone owned it before that, who knows what the situation was back then, you are right, it is all speculation.
as for the cabbage records, cabbage was a product that was sold, so there would be tax records, but the road may have been for personal use, so there would not necessarily be any record of its construction, definitely no permits.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep. Two fish merchants from New York City "owned" the island before it was divided up.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

will7782

Dec 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets think this through with some common sense. Maybe "practical" is a better word.

First, do you agree that the paved road would be a tremendous undertaking on a tiny island? For what benefit other than saving a few minutes of walking. The island is 140 acres, the swamp about 10 judging from the map. I own 11 acres and can walk 3 sides of it in about 5 minutes. No sane person would invest the time and energy to build a path THROUGH the swamp when it is easily skirted. (don't fret I'll get to feuding neighbors).

Second, if OI had originally been two islands, wouldn't excavating the north and south shores reveal those construction efforts? (see, I'm being objective)

Third, I don't know when the "shore road" was built, but putting the path there would have been far easier, faster, better and cheaper than fighting a swamp.

Fourth, If it is determined that the path terminates in the swamp and does not go THROUGH the swamp, how would you explain that away?

Lastly (for now), the idea that one land owner wouldn't allow another to cross his land. This idea is a rabbit hole of "what ifs" and assumptions. The simple question woul

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
With that stated, will7782, what do you believe was the purpose of the stone road in the swamp?
Are you aware that there once was a corduroy log road crossing that same Oak Island swamp, and photos of this have been posted on several of these OI threads.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets think this through with some common sense. Maybe "practical" is a better word.

First, do you agree that the paved road would be a tremendous undertaking on a tiny island? For what benefit other than saving a few minutes of walking. The island is 140 acres, the swamp about 10 judging from the map. I own 11 acres and can walk 3 sides of it in about 5 minutes. No sane person would invest the time and energy to build a path THROUGH the swamp when it is easily skirted. (don't fret I'll get to feuding neighbors).

Second, if OI had originally been two islands, wouldn't excavating the north and south shores reveal those construction efforts? (see, I'm being objective)

Third, I don't know when the "shore road" was built, but putting the path there would have been far easier, faster, better and cheaper than fighting a swamp.

Fourth, If it is determined that the path terminates in the swamp and does not go THROUGH the swamp, how would you explain that away?

Lastly (for now), the idea that one land owner wouldn't allow another to cross his land. This idea is a rabbit hole of "what ifs" and assumptions. The simple question woul

I agree with your post, but i wonder if it was put there to drag something from the water, where the elevation, or slope was just right.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It seems simple enough for me, a small island where crop land is premium and swamp land is unusable. Why waste good land on a road.
second, horses get better traction on stone cobble roads than they do on wood plank or dirt, especially when pulling a load.
the island had a boat dock...no doubt
supplies were delivered to the island from the mainland.....no doubt
those supplies needed to be transported from the boat dock by wagon....no doubt

so far....I do not see any indication of a treasure existing.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those logs appear to be a cordoury road that were common in Nova Scotia during the 19th century.
No Templars or Freemasons were involved in their construction.

Hope the pic comes in with this. Here is one of your cordoury roads and even you say they were common in the 19th century. The rock path in the swamp is "believed" to be much older then that... So you can't compare the 2...

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
l

I would think that this would need to be known before any speculation about the road and the swamp were entertained.

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with your post, but i wonder if it was put there to drag something from the water, where the elevation, or slope was just right.

Like the gigantic stones of Nolan's cross? How else to move them from the water onto the land? You'd need to build a substantial base to get them onto solid ground from a ship.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems simple enough for me, a small island where crop land is premium and swamp land is unusable. Why waste good land on a road.
second, horses get better traction on stone cobble roads than they do on wood plank or dirt, especially when pulling a load.
the island had a boat dock...no doubt
supplies were delivered to the island from the mainland.....no doubt
those supplies needed to be transported from the boat dock by wagon....no doubt

so far....I do not see any indication of a treasure existing.

depending on the time frame there might not have been any crops on the island at the time the stone road was built. We don't know that's just it.
if your regularly getting supplies from mainland would you not just build a dock close to where you want your stuff to end up. I'd think you'd be using a small boat for everyday supplies no needs to build a massive rock road for that...

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
depending on the time frame there might not have been any crops on the island at the time the stone road was built. We don't know that's just it.
if your regularly getting supplies from mainland would you not just build a dock close to where you want your stuff to end up. I'd think you'd be using a small boat for everyday supplies no needs to build a massive rock road for that...
You bring up a good point, if the dock was for mainland supplies, it would have been built on the other side of the island. However, a dock for ocean fishing vessels would have been built on the open water side.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing is we don't know how or when exactly the swamp formed. Was it really 2 islands with a pass thru between them, or was it just a cut out area there that boats could access into alittle ways and then closed off at some point which created the swamp..

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The thing is we don't know how or when exactly the swamp formed. Was it really 2 islands with a pass thru between them, or was it just a cut out area there that boats could access into alittle ways and then closed off at some point which created the swamp..
The core samples taken indicate that it was never two islands. I suspect that the swamp was a seasonal wet area until the coast road was built, then it became a swamp proper.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

If it is a cobble rock road than there could be some evidence of what it was used for in the width of the depressions for the wheel or skid ruts (rocks settle under load). If there are no ruts . . . what makes them think it was a "road". I haven'tseen an image.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread