Oak Island the Strange, the Bizarre, and Maybe the "Truth!

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Characteristics of Acacia leaves, as per Britannica.com:

"Acacias’ distinctive leaves take the form of small finely divided leaflets that give the leafstalk a feathery or fernlike (i.e., pinnate) appearance. In many Australian and Pacific species, the leaflets are suppressed or absent altogether, and the leafstalks (petioles) are flattened and perform the physiological functions of leaves. The leafstalks may be vertically arranged and bear thorns or sharp curved prickles at their base. Acacias are also distinguished by their small, often fragrant flowers, which are arranged in compact globular or cylindrical clusters. The flowers are usually yellow but occasionally white and have many stamens apiece, giving each one a fuzzy appearance. The fruits are legumes and are highly variable in appearance, depending on the species. Acacias are often confused with members of the closely related genus Mimosa."

So of the 800 or so species of acacia, their leaves come in two forms; the pinnately compound leaf that I showed above, or as a flattened leafstalk. Neither form can be confused with an oak leaf.

The Bur Oak was native to Oak Island and there are still species of this Tree on the Mainland.

Cite your source. If it is the case (and it isn't), how is it relevant to anything? Your theory was that an African species of acacia was planted on Oak Island, and was confused as being an oak.

White oak -- not present in NS according to any range map I have seen, nor have I seen white oak in NS in all my years of forestry field work in the province.

Scarlet oak -- not native to NS.

Black oak -- not native to NS.

Pin oak -- not native to NS.

... but all that is irrelevant, because regardless of the species of oak, no one is confusing it with an acacia.

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes..All these Oaks are available in the Maritime Provinces...According to "Experts"

Characteristics of Acacia leaves, as per Britannica.com:

"Acacias’ distinctive leaves take the form of small finely divided leaflets that give the leafstalk a feathery or fernlike (i.e., pinnate) appearance. In many Australian and Pacific species, the leaflets are suppressed or absent altogether, and the leafstalks (petioles) are flattened and perform the physiological functions of leaves. The leafstalks may be vertically arranged and bear thorns or sharp curved prickles at their base. Acacias are also distinguished by their small, often fragrant flowers, which are arranged in compact globular or cylindrical clusters. The flowers are usually yellow but occasionally white and have many stamens apiece, giving each one a fuzzy appearance. The fruits are legumes and are highly variable in appearance, depending on the species. Acacias are often confused with members of the closely related genus Mimosa."

So of the 800 or so species of acacia, their leaves come in two forms; the pinnately compound leaf that I showed above, or as a flattened leafstalk. Neither form can be confused with an oak leaf.

Cite your source. If it is the case (and it isn't), how is it relevant to anything? Your theory was that an African species of acacia was planted on Oak Island, and was confused as being an oak.

White oak -- not present in NS according to any range map I have seen, nor have I seen white oak in NS in all my years of forestry field work in the province.

Scarlet oak -- not native to NS.

Black oak -- not native to NS.

Pin oak -- not native to NS.

... but all that is irrelevant, because regardless of the species of oak, no one is confusing it with an acacia.

What Trees "Might You Say" are in this Picture of "Oak Island"?

Oak Island -oak trees 2.jpg

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Who is going to confuse these two trees?...I Believe You Already Have!

My guess would be red oak.

Red Oak Northern.jpeg

The Northern Red Oak is one oak tree native to Nova Scotia and may have been the oak tree that early residents and you confused with the Madagascar Acacia Tree.

Red Oak Leaf

Red Oak leaf 3.jpg

Acacia Leaf 4.jpg

Acacia Leaf

The leaves may be confused, but the Northern Red Oak lacks the height and umbrella shaped top of the Acacia, as shown in the pictures.

Oak Island - oak trees.jpg acacia tree.jpg

Last edited:

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1437355

The Northern Red Oak is one oak tree native to Nova Scotia and may have been the oak tree that early residents and you confused with the Madagascar Acacia Tree.

Red Oak Leaf

View attachment 1437356

View attachment 1437358

Acacia Leaf

The leaves may be confused, but the Northern Red Oak lacks the height and umbrella shaped top of the Acacia, as shown in the pictures.

View attachment 1437354 View attachment 1437359

1. No one would ever confuse an oak with an acacia. To suggest otherwise would be to assume that those people were ignorant of the natural world around them. They were not.
2. How tall are the trees in your Oak Island photo, and how did you come to that height?
3. Red oak do occasionally have that crown structure. Examples can be seen on Magazine Hill, in Bedford, NS.

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Like A Mighty Oak!

1. No one would ever confuse an oak with an acacia. To suggest otherwise would be to assume that those people were ignorant of the natural world around them. They were not.

Ignorant...Seems you have!

2. How tall are the trees in your Oak Island photo, and how did you come to that height?[/QUOTE]

I'd guess as tall as King Kong in the movie I am watching ...which is being disturbed!

https://xmovies8.ru/movie/kong-skull-island-2017.23764/watching.html

3. Red oak do occasionally have that crown structure. Examples can be seen on Magazine Hill, in Bedford, NS.[/QUOTE]

Show me the picture!

NewAge

Jan 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bark on a acacia looks nothing like oak bark ......not even close

Acacia barks looks a little like hickory or hard maple.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has any wood, bark or evidence of an acacia tree, which would die in that climate the first winter, EVER been found on Oak Island?

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Were The 1779 ad Oak Island Immigrants...Barking Up The Wrong Tree?

The bark on a acacia looks nothing like oak bark ......not even close

Acacia barks looks a little like hickory or hard maple.

Barking Up The Wrong Tree.jpg

The early Immigrants from New England were not arboriculturist, but they had "Only" a vague idea of what the Chestnut Oak and other species of Oak Trees they remembered from Massachusetts may look like .

This is why they misdiagnosed these Acacia Trees to be Oak Trees.

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
To Test Something?...Stay Tuned!

Has any wood, bark or evidence of an acacia tree, which would die in that climate the first winter, EVER been found on Oak Island?

Test Something 2.png

The "Supposedly Oak Log" found in the "Swamp" is to be tested.

Oak Island Swamp Log pics.jpg

Acacia trees in winter!

Acacia Tree in Winter.jpg

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's probably an image from Acadia National Park in Maine and not an Acacia tree (native to Africa and Australia).

You are just full of memes and images but no substance. No evidence. No facts.

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh Charlie...That's Just Cold!

That's probably an image from Acadia National Park in Maine and not an Acacia tree (native to Africa and Australia).

You are just full of memes and images but no substance. No evidence. No facts.

acacia-tree-winter-covered-ice-cold-49279496.jpg

I can supply picture after picture of Acacia Trees in Winter...In the similar environment as "Oak Island".

or

You can just go to... https://www.google.ca/search?q=acac...69i59j69i60.4581j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

and

See them for yourself!

Smithbrown

May 22, 2006
If the island was renamed Gloucester Island in 1778 that is going to be after the younger brother of King George, the Duke of Gloucester and nothing to do with Shakespeare or Bacon. The dukedom of Gloucester was used by younger sons and brothers of the royal family since the Middle ages.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1437628

I can supply picture after picture of Acacia Trees in Winter...In the similar environment as "Oak Island".

I can supply picture after picture of lots of nonsense from Google Images.

Yeah. The Internet is a wonder place. Acacia trees are native to Africa and Australia and live in the tropical and sub-tropical savanna. No doubt some have been artificially transplanted and nurtured in zoos or conservatories.

That is different from a "grove" thriving long term on a Canadian island.

giraffe_playing_in_snow_postcard-r4a512d02f39e4c9abee5e431e51d2243_vgbaq_8byvr_324.jpg

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
If the island was renamed Gloucester Island in 1778 that is going to be after the younger brother of King George, the Duke of Gloucester and nothing to do with Shakespeare or Bacon. The dukedom of Gloucester was used by younger sons and brothers of the royal family since the Middle ages.

Shakespeare's King Lear was the Earl of Gloucester not the Duke of Gloucester.

Smithbrown

May 22, 2006
And your island is called the Earl of Gloucester? No. It is called Gloucester. After the Duke of Gloucester- brother of the King- as a complement, as often happened, like Halifax.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would have been Prince William Henry (Duke of Gloucester and Edinburgh) at the time des Barres used the name on the map of 1776.

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
You Say Tomato...I Say Tomato!

And your island is called the Earl of Gloucester? No. It is called Gloucester. After the Duke of Gloucester- brother of the King- as a complement, as often happened, like Halifax.

Tomato.png

Colonel Joseph Frederick Wallet Des Barres (22 November 1721 — 27 October 1824 (or 24 October 1824) Named the island Gloucester.
He was a cartographer who served in the Seven Years' War, in part, as the aide-de-camp to GeneralJames Wolfe.
He also created the monumental four volume Atlantic Neptune, which was the most important collection of maps, charts and views of North America published in the eighteenth century

If as you indicated it was named after the King's brother then "My Island" would need to be called..."Gloucester and Edinburgh Island"...as that was his title!

The Kings brother's title was Duke of Gloucester and Edinburgh!
Prince William, Duke of Gloucester and Edinburgh, KG PC FRS (William Henry; 25 November 1743 — 25 August 1805), was a grandson of King George II and a younger brother of King George III of the United Kingdom.
Duke of Gloucester and Edinburgh was a British royal title (after Gloucester and Edinburgh) in the Peerage of Great Britain; the sole creation carried with it the subsidiary title of Earl of Connaught.
The only creation was for the brother of King George III, Prince William; there had previously been Dukes of Gloucester and of Edinburgh, but Prince William's full title was "Duke of Gloucester and Edinburgh".

The last Royal Member to be styled with the name Duke of Gloucester was Frederick Lewis 1718-1726 after which he was created Duke of Edinburgh and Prince of Wales.
Frederick Lewis, Prince of Wales, KG (1 February 1707 — 31 March 1751) was heir apparent to the British throne from 1727 until his death. He was the eldest but estranged son of King George II and Caroline of Ansbach, as well as the father of King George III. Prince Frederick was styled Duke of Gloucester between 1718 and 1726,

I personally like that "My Island" was named after William Shakespeare...Which my theory states is buried in his Tomb...on what is today called...Oak Island!
Earl of Gloucester from William Shakespeare's play…King Lear
Robert Fitzroy, 1st Earl of Gloucester (before 1100 — 31 October 1147) was the son of King Henry I of England and like Sir Francis Bacon was rejected to be King of England.

Smithbrown

May 22, 2006
Of course the Earl of Gloucester in King Lear had no claim on the throne. Now if you actually knew your Shakespeare, you would know he did write about a DUKE of Gloucester who did attain the throne.

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Of course the Earl of Gloucester in King Lear had no claim on the throne. Now if you actually knew your Shakespeare, you would know he did write about a DUKE of Gloucester who did attain the throne.

But of Course: Shakespeares' "Richard III"
Richard III is a historical play by William Shakespeare, believed to have been written in approximately 1592. It depicts the Machiavellian rise to power and subsequent short reign of King Richard III of England.

But!..."If you actually knew your"...Sir Francis Bacon or read any of my previous Threads on this matter..."you would know" that his life related more to the Earl of Gloucester in King Lear, than the Duke of Gloucester!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread