Oak Island the Strange, the Bizarre, and Maybe the "Truth!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It certainly was the "end of days" a few hundred years ago for any life orbiting binary star(s) KIC 9832227.

Kind of egocentric to think it was put on for our benefit here on Earth.

Relax. No one predicted this before 2013. A similar event occurred in another star system in 2008 and we weathered that without indecent. Novas pop up all around us and have for billions of years. That's where every element with an atomic weight over carbon was formed. You want more gold? Wait for a super nova.

And, if everything is scheduled to end in 2022 - what would you do differently? And then ask yourself why you aren't doing it anyway even if the world wasn't going to end in 2022.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The end of the world has been predicted a few times that I can remember Charlie. I do not buy into them. I was quoting the "interesting" parts from the link.

Here are a few that I recall.

Comet Hale-Bopp... the world was doomed... nothing happened.
Y2K... the world was doomed... nothing happened.
The end of the Mayan calendar... the world is doomed... nothing happened.

petetherocker

Jan 20, 2015
Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding the end of the world, I get a kick out of people who 'deciphered' the end of the world.

Mark 13:32

But of that day or hour no man knoweth, neither the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but the Father.

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Disclaimer: “Oak Island” the “Strange”, the “Bizarre”, and “Maybe” the "Truth”!

Then read the disclaimer at the article's end.

This Thread was started, where Posters could Post Strange and Bizarre Stories and Theories about Oak Island, there are numerous Threads on Treasure Net where one can debate the Merits of Proof and Evidence... For and Against the existence of Treasure on Oak Island!

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
This Thread was started, where Posters could Post Strange and Bizarre Stories and Theories about Oak Island, there are numerous Threads on Treasure Net where one can debate the Merits of Proof and Evidence... For and Against the existence of Treasure on Oak Island!

Don't forget the "Maybe" the "Truth"​ part. That's where we seem to be running into problems here, generally speaking.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you saying that only fictional accounts and theories are to be discussed on this thread?

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Part of the Templar Fleet has been found off the coast of Florida!!!

According to the article:

Roman numerals carved onto the ribs of the ship were also somehow preserved on the centuries-old ship.

4AAEE06000000578-5561047-image-m-116_1522379274460.jpg

And in this picture it shows an 'X' carved on the beam. The second on from the right. Could this be the famed Hooked X and prove that this ship is Templar?

Historic hull of 18th century ship washes ashore in Florida | Daily Mail Online

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Keith!

It def has a Templar feel to it. The wreck was centuries old and has been hailed as the 'holy grail' of shipwrecks.

I think I can make out Sinclair's sig on a couple parts of the ship. This means the OI treasure is actually in Florida.

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Tangibly Held or Photographed Items...Show Something Strange...Happened Here!

With over "100's of Tangible or Photographed Items"...Some saying 1000's, having been located around "Oak Island" ...I would like to show some here and explain how these may be linked to the Freemason's Mid 18th Century Escapades.

These numerous activities...all located on a rather small remote and desolate island... located among'st hundreds of similar islands... may show how Strange and Bizarre this island really is, and Maybe what Truths may be revealed for the Treasure of Oak Island.

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
“A tree fears an axe because its handle is made from it.”

Axe Head Found on Oak Island

Z-1.jpg

Appears to be an 18th Century British Felling Axe

Their cutting edge was flat and not sharpened to a bevel.

These are the type supplied to 18th Century British Navy Ships and may have been used on Oak Island to cut the trees necessary to build the Oak Island Shaft, Tunnels and Treasure Vault for the Original Builders.

This Axe below was found on a sunken British 18th Century Navy Ship

Z-105.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used

Maybe. It's hard to tell what that first one is. It seems very small to be a felling axe, though. Assuming that it is, is it unbelievable that an 18th century British axe might be found where British settlers were in the 18th century?

Can you explain this more fully?

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you explain this more fully?

I believed I learned something with my research on the ingenious type of sharpening that a felling axe had.
It was not sharpened to a keen edge as this would embed the axe into the wood and with each stroke one would have to expend energy to retrieve it back.
Rather it had a blade that would bite out chunks of wood allowing it to progress through the tree.

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1574124

These are the type supplied to 18th Century British Navy Ships and may have been used on Oak Island to cut the trees necessary to build the Oak Island Shaft, Tunnels and Treasure Vault for the Original Builders.

View attachment 1574141

Or, given that the island was settled during that time, and even had a working sawmill on it, the axe could have been left by anyone. A few comments about your post, though, as someone who has used and collected axes for quite a few years.

1. As Dave said, that axe is too small to be a felling axe. Felling axes tend to be over 5lbs. With an axe that small, you'd be swinging all day to fell one tree.

My own English felling axe ... 19th century, though. Seven pounds. A 18th century British felling axe would have had a less substantial poll, but probably would have had lugs, too.
IMG_20160309_150328.jpg

2. Shipbuilding axes were of a completely different pattern than the one in your post. Most of the time they were flat one one side, and beveled on the other, as in this British piece (used for smaller work, not necessarily shipbuilding):

IMG_0053.JPG

Actual shipbuilding axes, used for squaring large timbers, were quite large themselves, like this one (19th century broad axe of New Brunswick manufacture):

IMG_20170722_142905.jpg

3. I have never heard of swinging blunted axes. To me, it doesn't make any sense. You swing a blunt axe at a tree (especially something hard like an oak), and it will bounce off and take your leg off. I'd like to see where you found this information. I doesn't sound right to me ... in fact it sounds inefficient at best, and dangerous at worst.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Older axes were typically forged with a harder bit of steel for the bit. When initially forged the cutting edge can be hammerred into a flat taper from the eye to the edge without a bevel. But they are still very sharp. I've never come across reference to an intentionally dull ax. You want to lift chips out when felling. That requires sharp.

94d2495cdd7ff385cda5ab288908c657--forge-blacksmithing-blacksmithing-projects.jpg

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Give Me 6 Hours to Cut Down A Tree...And I will Spend the First 4 Sharpening the Axe!

abrahamlincoln1-2x.jpg

I did not intend to say the Felling Axe should have a Dull Blade...Only its Design is one in which Proper Sharpening is Required.

Off Oak Island Topic:
When I first moved my family away from the hustle of City Life in Vancouver, up to the remote parts of Northern British Columbia, I found that to heat my outdoor Boiler (a stove heated by wood which heats water piped into the house), I required 20 cords of chopped wood each year.

Running my 2 International Computer Robotic Companies from home was no longer a problem with today's Satellite communications.

My logic was always to look at a design and then try to improve on it.

When I tried this with my Axe, my first impression was to use modern day sharpening equipment and give it a razor sharp edge, sharp enough to fillet a fish.

With each swing it sailed deep inside the wood and stuck there.

Now after each swing, I was forced to spend the time and energy trying to remove the head of the Axe.

Today, sharpened in this manner, it is still better used to fillet fish then cut wood.

Moral of the Story:

I may have designed Mechanical Robotics and Super Computers for the World's Lumber Industries and that these designs would have totally perplexed the 18th Century Lumbermen...But...Their practical design and manner of sharpening an Axe, will still be today's most efficient manner!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Pennies from Heaven…Or was that from Havana?

Showing only a small portion of the coins found on Oak Island.

Z-96.jpg Z-95.jpg
Most of these coins were found by metal detecting on the lots located west of the Money Pit in rather shallow ground.
Z-7.jpg Z-87.jpg Z-89.jpg
My theory states that while the Commanders were sacking the French and Spanish Cities along with Havana Cuba, their officers and crewmen were plundering the local population for themselves.

While the Royal Navy Freemasons returned to Oak Island to deposit their Treasure in the Vault, their crew deposited numerous chests and satuals on various locations within the island to await their return home.

After scuttling the Spanish and English Ships, they prepared the designated Ships for their voyage home.

Unfortunately the crew brought back with them along with Treasures, the pandemic of Yellow Fever which had ravaged their compliment of Soldiers in Cuba.

Many a crew member never returned for their sack of coins nor returned home to England.

These Treasures usually buried under a tree, were slowly broken up by the elements and roots and later scattered around the island.

gr88bd

Dec 11, 2017
Grove City, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, Divining Rods, brass pendulum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1574124

View attachment 1574141

Top photo is an ordinary hatchet head ... used them on the farm to chop points on stakes, trim limbs, and split kindling for fires.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
I did not intend to say the Felling Axe should have a Dull Blade...Only its Design is one in which Proper Sharpening is Required.

That's where you confused me, and why I asked for clarification. Yes, the edge geometry is going to be completely different for different axes and different uses, but a sharp edge is never a drawback. At worst, it's simply unnecessary, and I can only think of one case where that's true - the splitting maul, although even those can be made quite sharp with care. (Ten or fifteen years ago on another forum, I actually sharpened a maul to the point where it would shave hair fairly easily simply to prove a point on the importance of a polished, even edge for push cutting. It did not split wood any better with that edge, but it didn't split it any worse either.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions