Oak Island the Strange, the Bizarre, and Maybe the "Truth!

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If we assume someone did actually dig the Money Pit to over 100' way back when. They were digging in virgin soil and might could have been done. Now with no telling how many holes, shafts, tunnels have been dug over the years since and just left. There are all kinds of cave in possibilities like they are currently having from the loose soil of the back filling etc....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If we assume someone did actually dig the Money Pit to over 100' way back when. They were digging in virgin soil and might could have been done. Now with no telling how many holes, shafts, tunnels have been dug over the years since and just left. There are all kinds of cave in possibilities like they are currently having from the loose soil of the back filling etc....

I notice that you start with the "premise" : "money pit". Which implies: Money-in-a-pit. Eh ? Ie.: That starts with a given implicit starting point premise of : Treasure and/or "money" in a pit. Right ? Then in that case (given the starting "givens"), then yes: It "might/could have been done".

In the same way that it might be ridiculous that I could decide to walk backwards, heel-to-toe, from San Francisco to New York. Yet ........ theoretically ....yes.... it's *possible*. Right ? And if you thought long enough and hard enough, you could concoct a reason/scheme why someone would ever want to do such a scheme.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
And so then we can easily jump from "could have" to therefore "did" . Right ?

And humorously, here's what happens next (the "wack-a-mole" game) : The skeptic will attempt to poke holes in the "ability" theories. Eg.: Whether or not it's possible to walk backwards, heel-to-toe, from SF to NY. (Eg.: 20 pages of debate over coconut fibers). And at a certain point, someone with an ounce of brains says to themselves: WAIT A MINUTE: What does this have to do (ie.: how does this "prove") a treasure vs no treasure ??

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was JUST trying to get the point across that a hole could have been dug to 100' or more if your the first people digging in well compacted soil and be lucky enough to not hit water. Then every hole/tunnel there after whether they hit water or not ( of course hitting the water and flooding the shafts/tunnels makes it that much more likely ) will make it more likely to cause cave in and will be easier to hit water etc... So many people on here say there is no way for anyone to have dug a hole that deep to start with... It is highly possible in my opinion for the first diggers regardless if they put treasure in the hole or not... Keep in mind an island is NOT a floating object...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I was JUST trying to get the point across that a hole could have been dug to 100' or more if ........ So many people on here say there is no way for anyone to have dug a hole that deep to start with .... .

Yes. All the different details of the story and subsequent searches (ie.: depths, etc....) *could* technically be possible. Just as it's *technically possible* for me to walk backwards from SF to NY, heel-to-toe.

There are millions of things are *possible*. Given enough manpower, engineering know-how, conspiratorial reasoning, etc... But none of them equates to there being any sort of necessity that: "Therefore, it had-to-have-happened"

Lest: if the fact that it COULD have happened, means it DID happen, then all I can conclude is: Therefore you must equally conclude that Tom-In-CA walked backwards from SF to NY. After all , it's *possible* and you "can't prove" I "didn't" do it. Right ?

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your missing my point altogether. I guess your one of the skeptics that think a hole could not be dug that deep regardless of the reason and not hit water?? Is that what your trying to say in a round about way as your walking from SF to NY that no one could dig a hole on the island and not hit water..

Sodabob

Jan 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I apologize if this observation has already been discussed (and I'm by no means a mining expert) but it appears to me if the miners of the Comstock Lode in Virgina City, Nevada were able to dig to depths of 3,200' feet between about 1859 and 1879, that similar forms of mining could have been done on Oak Island to depths of only 200' feet?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comstock_Lode

Comstock Lode Virginia City.jpg

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes. All the different details of the story and subsequent searches (ie.: depths, etc....) *could* technically be possible. Just as it's *technically possible* for me to walk backwards from SF to NY, heel-to-toe.

[/I]Lest: if the fact that it COULD have happened, means it DID happen, then all I can conclude is: Therefore you must equally conclude that Tom-In-CA walked backwards from SF to NY. After all , it's *possible* and you "can't prove" I "didn't" do it. Right ?

Much more likely for the former then the latter, therefore, why must you conclude anything equally?

Now if you are actually saying either is equally possible I guess I would have to disagree!

Cheers, Loki

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Run...Forrest...Run...Backwards!...Forrest Gump Part 2...Nah...Done That.

In the same way that it might be ridiculous that I could decide to walk backwards, heel-to-toe, from San Francisco to New York. Yet ........ theoretically ....yes.... it's *possible*. Right ? And if you thought long enough and hard enough, you could concoct a reason/scheme why someone would ever want to do such a scheme.

Been There...Done That

Walk backwards.jpg

Plennie Lawrence Wingo (January 24, 1895 — October 2, 1993) walked backwards from Santa Monica, California to Istanbul, Turkey (about 13,000 km/8,000 miles) from April 15, 1931 to October 24, 1932 at the age of 36. He remains the Guinness record holder for "greatest extent of reverse pedestrianism".

Reason...Scheme:
Wingo overheard some children say everything had been done, there was nothing left to do.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I apologize if this observation has already been discussed (and I'm by no means a mining expert) but it appears to me if the miners of the Comstock Lode in Virgina City, Nevada were able to dig to depths of 3,200' feet between about 1859 and 1879, that similar forms of mining could have been done on Oak Island to depths of only 200' feet?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comstock_Lode

View attachment 1685659

The Comstock Mine started at over 7,000 feet above sea level in Nevada. If it was 10 ft above sea level on a 140 acre island with 150 ft of glacial soil over the bedrock . . . maybe not so deep? :dontknow:

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ahhh, but No No No : You're not getting the logical order of all this correct. You must START with the assumption (the "premise") that a fabulous treasure exists there. And then make all the insane crazy ingredients and hardships work into the narrative. You are going about it backwards: You are looking at the "most logical" and "most plausible" explanations first. With O.I. : The order gets reversed, and THEN it will make perfect sense. Even if you introduce an elephant into the story, there will be *some* way to make it fit with the story, guaranteed.

But, the elephants were used to start the siphons. 5 of them using their trunks to reduce the pressure in the drains enough to get it flowing. The elephants were fed coconut fibers along with the local grasses as it kept them from getting colic.

Bill

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Been There...Done That

View attachment 1685699

Plennie Lawrence Wingo (January 24, 1895 — October 2, 1993) walked backwards from Santa Monica, California to Istanbul, Turkey (about 13,000 km/8,000 miles) from April 15, 1931 to October 24, 1932 at the age of 36. He remains the Guinness record holder for "greatest extent of reverse pedestrianism".

Reason...Scheme:
Wingo overheard some children say everything had been done, there was nothing left to do.

Umm, this may sound kind of dumb, but how can anybody walk (backwards or frontwards) from North America to Turkey?

Cheers, Loki

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Umm, this may sound kind of dumb, but how can anybody walk (backwards or frontwards) from North America to Turkey?

Cheers, Loki

The Official Guinness Book Rules would allow any participant to partake of any vehicle or vessel where walking backwards was incapable or restricted..

The participant would be bound by rules to not walk forward while proceeding in this manner.

The distance covered while in this manner would not be credited to his/her final tally.

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Mining Above Sea Level...That's Babies Work For A Canadian Miner!

The Comstock Mine started at over 7,000 feet above sea level in Nevada. If it was 10 ft above sea level on a 140 acre island with 150 ft of glacial soil over the bedrock . . . maybe not so deep? :dontknow:

Glace Bay, Cape Briton Isle.

mining 2.jpg

MinersMuseumCliffs.jpg

The ocean that you see in front of you.....some of the mines went out miles under the ocean floor. Yes, not only did the miners work underground, some of them mined under the ocean floor.

Miner.jpg

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And you know why you know that? Because they were LARGE operations that left LOTS of evidence above and in the ground.

Unlike Oak Island . . . were they might have been a shallow depression but we're not sure where now.

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
And you know why you know that? Because they were LARGE operations that left LOTS of evidence above and in the ground.

Unlike Oak Island . . . were they might have been a shallow depression but we're not sure where now.

So You are saying...they could do it here...But not at Oak Island...Also here...Only because we know it was done here?

Last edited:

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Depositors seem to have done just that, without hitting water...I guess that makes them...Smarter...than most Posters here!

You were there to verify that they did not hit water know that is really amazing a time machine wow better watch who you call stupid on this thread.

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
You were there to verify that they did not hit water know that is really amazing a time machine wow better watch who you call stupid on this thread.

How would they have found the 90 foot stone...If they hit water...really did they have deep sea apparatuses then?

Come on...cyzak...Think...Think!

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
....I guess your one of the skeptics that think a hole could not be dug that deep regardless of the reason and not hit water....

Nope. I'm not "one of those skeptics". I learned my lesson not to enter into the game of wack-a-mole. Any of the salacious details that a skeptic tries to prove is "not possible", will simply end in defeat, with the "wack-a-mole" game. The believer needs to merely find *SOME* extreme contingent way (given enough slaves and enough years and enough conspiracy reasons). Eg.: "They built the pyramids , didn't they ?" "Cornish miners dug that deep didn't they?".

And then what happens next is comical: When the engineering feats get shown to be *possible*, it's as if that somehow proves a treasure exists.

Why is that ? Even if we grant all the crazy details are *possible* (for sake of argument, to avoid the wack-a-mole game), it STILL doesn't prove a treasure. And it still doesn't prove that more plausible explanations were't at-play for the various legend details (ie.: just because it's POSSIBLE doesn't mean it ..... of necessity ....... HAPPENED)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
....it appears to me if the miners of the Comstock Lode in Virgina City, Nevada were able to dig to depths of 3,200' feet between about 1859 and 1879, that similar forms of mining could have been done on Oak Island to depths of only 200' feet? ....

.....some of the mines went out miles under the ocean floor. Yes, not only did the miners work underground, some of them mined under the ocean floor....

Wack-a-mole game in action :) And poor Charlie is getting sucked into it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions