Oak Island the Strange, the Bizarre, and Maybe the "Truth!

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Truth is Stranger than Fiction.jpg

Like the majority of “Treasure Legends”, Oak Island is shrouded in Folklore and Strange Stories”.

Logic dictates that a purpose was served with the telling of bedtime stories to children and folklore to others.

Stories like “Little Red Riding Hood, Hansel and Gretel, etc.” scared children from straying far from home, as did “Folklore and Ghost Stories” act as warnings to inquisitive searchers not to venture into areas deemed off limits.

During my research, I have come across many of these stories and would like to list some here, as “The National Enquirer” would say “Enquiring Minds Want to Know”.

Mark Twain stated "Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't."

It just might be that some of these “Strange Stories” are “True” and are the “Key” to unlocking the “Mystery of Oak Island”.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The "Mystery Man" of "1870"

"In 1870 a stranger appeared in the Mahone Bay area. Dark complected and speaking with an accent, he bought a sloop for $2500.00 and hired two local fishermen to sail it.

He took the boat thirty miles out to sea to a point south of Halifax.

There he took a sight on the sun and set a northwest course back to the mainland.

As the sloop approached the shore he took out an ancient chart and studied it intently.

This he kept mostly concealed from the fishermen but they reported the writing on it was something like Yiddish or Script German.

The course he set brought him not into Mahone but to St. Margaret’s Bay a few miles northeast.

He kept this up almost every day until fall and returned to repeat the performance the following spring.

Apparently he never found what he was looking for because he disappeared soon afterward.

It may be worth mentioning that modern hydrographic charts show that it is possible to sail a due northwest course into Mahone Bay and make a landing on Oak without touching any of the hundreds of other islands."

first posted 1953 by Penn Leary

O

Old Silver

Probably not so strange that someone would show up and test their theory about the Oak Island story. But who knows.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
“Oak Island Giants” may be traced to 18th Century “Irish Giants”

Oak Island - Large Shoes.jpg

800px-Charles_Byrne;_James_Burnett,_Lord_Monboddo;_William_Richardson;_John_Bell;_Baillie_Kyd_by.jpg

Royal Navy Charles Byrne (1761–1783) or "The Irish Giant", lived in an area of Northern Ireland that scientists consider a hot spot for pituitary adenomas.

In a study published in today's New England Journal of Medicine, scientists in the United Kingdom looked at four modern-day Northern Ireland families, and noticed the same genetic mutation in these families as they found in the 18th-century Irish Giant.

Using DNA extracted from Charles Byrne's teeth, the researchers speculate that they could trace the roots of the Irish study participants and the Irish Giant's inherited gene mutation for gigantism to a common ancestor who lived an estimated 1425 to 1650 years earlier -- or 57 to 66 generations ago.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
My work shoes (Nautilus 1800, in case you're wondering) measure 13 3/4". My flip-flops measure 12 5/8".

Am I actually an Irish giant?

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
My work shoes (Nautilus 1800, in case you're wondering) measure 13 3/4". My flip-flops measure 12 5/8".

"Dave" Have you done a recent "Genealogy Trace", maybe you "Are"!

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Guess it depends on your height.......

if you have big feet and are short.....they used to call you a Hobbit......

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Guess it depends on your height.......

if you have big feet and are short.....they used to call you a Hobbit......

An excellent question, and one that I'm more than happy to answer. I'm 6'1". No one has ever called me a hobbit that I can remember.

Am I an Irish giant? The theory was that shoes larger than 12 inches in length implied an Irish giant. I merely pointed out that my shoes are longer than that, I'm not Irish, and I don't consider myself to be a giant. Let's get back to the theory though. Am I an Irish giant?

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Dan Blankenship's "Faith like a Treasure Hunter"

Dan Blankenship - Faith.jpg

One day a group of "Reporters" were following "Dan Blankenship" around on “Oak Island".

"Dan" has been "Searching" for the “Treasure of Oak Island” for some "50 Years".

They noticed that Dan had dug a shovel full of dirt on the Island and proceeded to dig another.

The "Reporters" started "Laughing and Ridiculing" Dan, had he not noticed how large "Oak Island" is and how long it would take to dig up the "Entire Island".

Dan answered, "Yes you are Right", but now I know that there is "No Treasure in this Shovel Full of Dirt".

Dan stated to them that there is a whole lot of work needed to be done to find “The Treasure of Oak Island” but "Only" if you aim for "Nothing" will you surely get "100% Results".

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An excellent question, and one that I'm more than happy to answer. I'm 6'1". No one has ever called me a hobbit that I can remember.

Am I an Irish giant? The theory was that shoes larger than 12 inches in length implied an Irish giant. I merely pointed out that my shoes are longer than that, I'm not Irish, and I don't consider myself to be a giant. Let's get back to the theory though. Am I an Irish giant?

LOL I've got size 13 shoes & am about 5' 6" & not Irish (I'm american) ,
Not a Giant nor a Hobbit ( hobbits are between two and four feet)
just saying to Me a "Giant" needs to be at least obviously taller then any
"known for a fact" living Man past or present that there is a Photo & measurements of

But as You say
Let's get back to the theory

Last edited:

New Gold

Nov 25, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Robot what do you think of a member of the Grand Lodge stating that he thinks the treasure is of Templar origin? That kind of undermines your theory doesn't it?

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there is more to Oak Island than even to those who are there now working it. From the items I have read about people finding there and what it shown on the TV show I have come to the conclusion that there is MORE THAN ONE "treasure" hidden there. The object(s) that they are seeking in the "money pit" I feel are different from the supposed "pirate" treasure. From the coins that have been found to the inscriptions on the missing stone found at the 90" level.

Something is not adding up,, to me anyway. Like I said, I feel there is more than one hidden "treasure" there. You know the feeling,,, a "gut" feeling that there is more to the story.

Man I love this stuff :)

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Robot what do you think of a member of the Grand Lodge stating that he thinks the treasure is of Templar origin? That kind of undermines your theory doesn't it?

Not at "All"

As long as he is not inferring that the 14th Century "Templars" buried it!

My "Theory" has the 18th Century Freemasons burying all the "Treasures" entrusted to them over Centuries: Shakespeare's manuscripts, Francis Bacon's written knowledge, Historical documents, Knights Templar treasures, and the gold, silver, and jewels from the sacking of Havana.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I have, and no, I'm not.

A Giant, maybe not! - But a "Big Man", Yes!

The estimated mean height of 18th Century English, German, and Scottish soldiers are 163.6 cm – 165.9 cm (5 ft 4.4 in – 5 ft 5.3 in) and 145 lbs.

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king"

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not at "All"

As long as he is not inferring that the 14th Century "Templars" buried it!

My "Theory" has the 18th Century Freemasons burying all the "Treasures" entrusted to them over Centuries: Shakespeare's manuscripts, Francis Bacon's written knowledge, Historical documents, Knights Templar treasures, and the gold, silver, and jewels from the sacking of Havana.

My "Theory" it was slowly plundered from the club houses by members &
sold off or destroyed as the
plunderers themselves died & their families got rid of it.
and in some cases fires destroyed things.
and small Museums got some which they threw in Boxes till they Rotted etc.
from floods & time too

Last edited:

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Of course there is the ancient fortress discovered by Joan Hope in 1972 located some 20 miles upstream on the Gold River which has its mouth a short distance from Oak Island!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread