the Charing Cross connection

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most don't know this but the old name for what is now simply called "The Cross" at New Ross, used to be called "Charing Cross". Today it is thought the name comes the point where the two roads meet in the village, but this name seems to have originated before there were two roads. I have a photo of a World War I, field gun on a concrete stand with the name Charing Cross. And now a memorial stands in its place with the same name.
In London, within a 1000 yards of Temple Church (English headquarters for the Knights Templar) is another Charing Cross, this one now simply a train station, but it used to represent a memorial placed there upon the death of Edward I's Queen, Eleanor of Castile.
When she died near Lincoln, Edward had arranged for her remains to be carried to London for burial. The trip took twelve days, and at each stop the King had a memorial cross erected, the last and greatest of these was called Charing Cross. Now this is where all distances to and from London are determined. It is believed that Edward had originally called this memorial "Chere Reine" which is French for "Beloved Queen".
This from a 1593 play by George Peele called "Chronicle of King Edward I" "Erect a stately carved cross, wheron her stature with glory shine; and henceforth see you call it Charing Cross. For why, the chariest and the choicest Queen, that ever did delight my royal eyes, there dwells in darkness".
There is an Old survey from 1002 AD that mentions a point called Cyrringe, and it is now thought that the name simply refers to a bend in the river Thames at that point and Charing Cross is indeed near a 90 degree bend in river. But, certainly after the King dedicated this memorial cross to his Eleanor the location would have taken on the new meaning of "The Chere Reine Cross" at least in the minds of those attending which also would have included representatives from the Temple.
A decade later some of these same Templars were on the run from both the Pope and the King, and as I premise met some of their brothers in Western Scotland whom had brought their own beloved queen in the form of "The Holy Grail". A select few (the inner circle) took this Grail and other treasures to Nova Scotia, building their own Charing Cross.
As Joan Hope said, nobody really knows where the name came from but it seems to predate the settlement of New Ross.

Last edited:

New Gold

Nov 25, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the best explanation I have seen for the name Charring Cross.

It follows a logical path that is easy to understand, my favourite kind of theory.

New Ross also happens to be at an intersection between the Gold river and the Gaspereau river, two main waterways of the province.

If Mahone Bay was the arrival point, New Ross would be a logical place to build a sanctuary.

It is my belief that the castle at New Ross will soon be confirmed to be of fourteenth century origin.

I don't believe that this is where the templars would have left their treasure.

Loki believes that the treasure is in a third final resting place, neither Oak or New Ross. While I am not privy to the details of his theory, it is my belief that simplicity is always better.

The process of moving a treasure is the riskiest part. This is when the movers have the highest chance of getting robbed, someone committing a betrayal, or damaging the cargo.

The Oak Island vault is so ingeniously constructed from a psychological point of view that the harder we try to crack it, the harder it becomes to crack.

For the past two hundred years man's lust for gold has helped cloud the mystery beyond recognition.

The architects designed the vault so that only those privy to it's secrets would be able to re-enter it.

The booby trap is psychological. The entrance to the vault is destroyed when you dig too deep by the flood tunnels. It only had to happen once to be effective.

Something that was surely prophesied by the architects.

All this is why I believe the Ark is still buried on the island.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey blossom!! Quite Interesting!! Thanks for the insight!! Been to the Charing Cross Station!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its called charing cross because the cross De Molay was burnt at the stake upon was Charred, or burnt with him.........

symbolic of the death of christianity and the rise of tyrants into the ranks of the Holy See of the Vatican

I also see the words Caring Cross, for the Hospitalers, who cared for the sick. Or even Sharing Cross....a more merciful form of Christianity.

OP
OP
L

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is the best explanation I have seen for the name Charring Cross.

Loki believes that the treasure is in a third final resting place, neither Oak or New Ross. While I am not privy to the details of his theory, it is my belief that simplicity is always better.

All this is why I believe the Ark is still buried on the island.

I simply followed very easy to find clues that were actually created after the treasure and religious artifacts were moved. The clues were found in David Teniers the Youngers' painting called "The Temptation of St. Anthony" the petite version, Nicolas Poussin's "The Shepherds of Arcadia" version two, the quatrain 6-97 of Nostradamus, and items from Berenger Sauniere's little church at Rennes-le-Chateau which had been dedicated to Mary Magdalene.
Using these clues and on my third visit to Nova Scotia I believe I recently stood on the site near Annapolis Basin where these objects lie.

I personally don't believe the Templars ever found the Ark of the Covenant, although I do think that was their main objective during the first few decades of their existence. They were searching for religious objects for the relic hungry Church, and that being one of the most sought after of all of them would probably have been turned over and would now rest in some Great Cathedral. What they more than likely found was something that they could not give to the Church.

Loki

New Gold

Nov 25, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally don't believe the Templars ever found the Ark of the Covenant, although I do think that was their main objective during the first few decades of their existence. They were searching for religious objects for the relic hungry Church, and that being one of the most sought after of all of them would probably have been turned over and would now rest in some Great Cathedral. What they more than likely found was something that they could not give to the Church.

Loki

It is my belief that the templars did in fact locate the Ark on their expedition to Jerusalem.

The Ark in my opinion is the greatest artifact of them all, one that could certainly not have been given to the church.

The Great Pyramid of Giza contains a granite box that is the perfect dimensions according to the bible to seat the Ark.

The Ark has been described as having a mysterious power. The initiates of the temple of Solomon were required to anoint themselves with oil and follow strict protocols when approaching or else they risked death.

Moses took the Ark from Egypt when he left with the Israelites. That is why the Pharaoh suddenly gave chase after granting Moses permission to leave with his people.

It is with the power of the Ark that Moses was able to part the Red Sea.

The Rod of Aaron is a means of channeling the power of the Ark.

The Ark was given to man by God. It is a form of technology that is beyond our grasp.

This is the Holy of Holies. It is far more important than an urn full of ashes.

Whoever possesses the Ark likely controls the world. This is why the templars had to bury it somewhere very very safe.

Smithbrown

May 22, 2006
LokiBlossom, I don't follow your logic on this one. You have stated elsewhere that the Templars fled England. So why would they choose to call a piece of their new homeland after a monument to the wife/mother of their persecutors and the wife/mother of Robert de Bruce's enemies? I suspect Charing Cross got its name on Nova Scotia at a much later date than the 14th century.

New Gold

Nov 25, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The original Charing Cross was a well known monument to a queen near the Templar church in England.

The templars built their own Charing Cross tongue in cheek, as a resting place for their own beloved queen, Mary Magdalene, the Holy Grail.

OP
OP
L

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
LokiBlossom, I don't follow your logic on this one. You have stated elsewhere that the Templars fled England. So why would they choose to call a piece of their new homeland after a monument to the wife/mother of their persecutors and the wife/mother of Robert de Bruce's enemies? I suspect Charing Cross got its name on Nova Scotia at a much later date than the 14th century.

You must have missed, "brought their own beloved Queen in the form of the Holy Grail."

And you certainly have a right to suspect Charing Cross got its name at a later date.

Smithbrown

May 22, 2006
No, it is not that near the Temple Church. And what is the earliest reference to it as "Charing Cross" as opposed to, say, Queen's Cross? I don't think it would have been much before the Templars were suppressed. Not enough to have got onto the Templar's radar.

OP
OP
L

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No, it is not that near the Temple Church. And what is the earliest reference to it as "Charing Cross" as opposed to, say, Queen's Cross? I don't think it would have been much before the Templars were suppressed. Not enough to have got onto the Templar's radar.

It was almost two decades between the time the Queen died and when the Templars who wished to packed up and left. It was less than a 1000 yards from Temple Church to the Charing Cross site, across open fields (at the time). They certainly would have attended the dedication of the Cross and those Knights that didn't attend would have watched. They probably all watched as it was built.
You also missed the part about it perhaps received the name Cyrringe ( for a bend in the river) before 1000 AD.

New Gold

Nov 25, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is within a thousand yards of the Temple Church. Meaning it's within walking distance, so pretty damn close.

"Charing" comes from "chere reine" which is french for beloved queen...
So in a way it was called "Queen's Cross"

Smithbrown

May 22, 2006
But there other things which are closer. The Eleanor crosses were erected some years after the queen's death, so not two decades. You misunderstood the point I was making. When is the earliest reference to the exact phrase "Charing cross"?

OP
OP
L

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
But there other things which are closer. The Eleanor crosses were erected some years after the queen's death, so not two decades. You misunderstood the point I was making. When is the earliest reference to the exact phrase "Charing cross"?

According to George Peele, the day Edward I ordered it built, probably sometime early in 1291. If you have a source that contradicts that please post it.
It was erected between 1291 and 1294 btw.

New Gold

Nov 25, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stand corrected. The location named Charing Cross in London was named "Cherring" at least a hundred years before Eleanor's death.

The word likely comes not from "chere reine" but from old english "cierring" meaning turning, which was a name used to describe a bend in the river Thames.

Charing Cross is also considered to be the exact center of London. Interesting because New Ross is considered the center of Nova Scotia.

The provenance of the word "Charing" is not as important as what the location eventually housed, a monument to the late queen Eleanor.

By establishing their own Charing Cross the templars were, in a way, poking fun at the monarchy.

http://archive.museumoflondon.org.uk/medieval/People/147014/

EDIT I have unearthed a mighty clue:

http://newross.ca/organization/charing-cross-garden-club/

Last edited:

Smithbrown

May 22, 2006
Ok, let's try once more. I know that the area was called Charing in the early middle ages. Agreed
I know that King Edward I ordered a cross to be built there for his wife Eleanor of Castile in the early 1290s. Agreed.
But what I asked was what was the earliest reference to the EXACT PHRASE "CHARING CROSS". Not Charing, not the cross at Charing, but "Charing Cross". That's all, quite simple, earliest know reference?

And no, I don't think the Templars are "poking fun at monarchy". I would think they had other things on their minds in 1307.

New Gold

Nov 25, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smithbrown, your question has already been answered by Loki. After the "cross" was built at "Charing", the location became known as "Charing Cross". Akin to naming a street "Church street" because there is a church on that street.

It's a tongue in cheek reference to their own beloved queen. That part seems fairly obvious.

Smithbrown

May 22, 2006
Sorry, place studies are way more complicated than that. Still waiting for the earliest date of the EXACT PHRASE "CHARING CROSS". With references, please.

New Gold

Nov 25, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Erect a rich and stately carved cross,

Whereon her statue shall with glory shine;

And henceforth see you call it Charing Cross."

George Peele The Famous Chronicle of King Edward the First (1593)

This was written 300 years after the cross was erected. Peele in this instance is speaking from King Edward's point-of-view.

"Erect the cross. And henceforth see you call it Charing Cross."

This is an observation that after the cross was erected, people began calling it Charing Cross.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread