Oak Island - The contrarian views thread! Ver.II arrgggg! arrgggg!

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This thread is designed for contrarian views to all currently aired theories on Oak Island series TV show,
and for people who can think for themselves and not rely upon what other so-called experts have said
so far. They are theories and nothing more. If the hunters on Oak Island follow every theory from every
self-appointed expert on this subject - they are in for quite a circus ride through the fun house.

This thread is for contrarian views - be they sound possibilities or so completely off the wall they may
actually be closer to the truth than we've heard so far. This thread is NOT for the 'FREEMASON fanatics or their
theories', Templar Knight fanatics, Rosicrucian fanatics, Phoenicians fanatics etc.
By fanatics - we mean people who are convinced they are right, everyone else is wrong, and will listen
to no other idea because they are closed minded on the subject; and in some cases, actually go around the Internet
arguing on every site they can find - with anyone who doesn't buy their theory. We have one here and they have been
placed on my 'ignore' list. This is not a tread for people who think that the treasure has already been removed from
Oak Island. If you wish to prove to the world your 'brilliant' theory about any of the above mentioned topics - start
your own thread and gather your crowd to listen! I'm interested in intelligent people who can think for themselves,
and believe there is actually something of value to still be found on Oak Island.

Also, let's cover some ways to retrieve the treasure that perhaps Rick & Marty Lagina have not considered yet.

I've been recently watching this, seen most episodes now and it just gets stranger and stranger.
Some humorous moments from my viewpoint:
The guy MD'ing on beach finds some colonial coppers and they comment, 'oh the English must have been here.'
My response: "I've found coins older that this in PA! The colonists in the 13 colonies used this as money,
as did the folks up in Novia Scotia!"

The MD'ing signals found and then lost in swamp.
My response: "When dealing with water or water saturated ground, you can and will get false signals!
Where did they go? They were bogus signals!"

They drill into cement like substance, horizontal placed wood, and then vertical placed wood. Someone who drilled
before described drilling cement like substance, horizontal placed woodian for 7" and then 7 feet to next wood
sample.
They assumed it was a treasure vault. They claimed gold flecks on drill bit - I think they made that up to get
investors interest. Sounds somewhat fishy to me but it could have been true.
Gee, this sounds a lot like a mine shaft with a wooden floor and not necessarily a vault of any kind.

The most interesting story regarding that island for me is that it is full of Fool's Gold. Some explorer
mined tons of Fool's gold from Nova Scotia and took it back to Europe - only to find out that it was not real gold.
If he was mining for gold on Oak Island, as some believe - that would explain the underground carverns supposedly on
this island. That would explain why anyone would go to that extreme, digging deep holes in the island - they were
struck by the 'gold bug' and thought they were mining gold. When they discovered it was pyrite - they abandoned their
back-breaking quest.

Perhaps local pirates or privateer discovered these underground caverns and did cache some treasure chests on this
island.

At some point, one or all of these caverns got filled with water. Was it booby-trapped as they seem to think?
It is quite possible the answer is "NO". With all the drilling and digging that has gone on - they could have
unknowingly created a booby-trap for themselves by creating holes that allowed water to enter the caverns from
the ocean, or the swamp, or an underground water supply. Would pirates just simply place chests of gold at the
deepest cavern point on island, and not try to hide that location? Doubtful but would they go to all the trouble
involved of digging a channel of water from the ocean to where the Money Pit is located and at the depth indicated?
I sincerely cannot believe that at all - they were pirates not stone masons.

Another theory I've considered is that the large stone tablet discovered 90 feet below ground was created by
Capt.Kidd or some brilliant privateer -
and properly translated by Professor of Languages James Leitchi who said it says:
"Forty Feet Below, Two Million Pounds Are Buried." Wow, wouldn't that be nice!

I'm an occam's razor thinker on all this - a line of reasoning that says the simplest answer is often correct.
Who had lots of ill-gotten trove in this area? What do you do when there is a too much to spend? You might think
the Capt. of a pirate ship was just a thug but to navigate by the stars, command a successful campaign on the
ships full of treasure along the east coast of N. America heading back to Europe - you had to be an 'educated'
man and probably smarter than the average sword, welding marauder. Some likely genius in their own right.
The occam's razor answer is PIRATES or privateers were most likely behind what is buried at Oak Island.

So it is my theory that the island has been used for multiple purposes by multiple groups. First, someone mined it
for gold and abandoned project. Then others discovered the caverns and decided a perfect place to store trove.
Who is to say it wasn't all recovered? No one has proved that either way. Let's hope it still exists!

The TH'ing dreamer in me hopes that the two brothers spending all this money find something of value to offset
what they have invested. But it's looking more and more like it is possible that all the theories about the Templar
Knights, The Holy Grail, The Ark of the Covenant, Solomon's Tree of Life, the Phoenicians etc. - are amazing stories
but have no foundation in them whatsoever. My best guess - pirates/privateer treasure was cached after someone else

worked
the island for fool's gold. I do hope they find the motherload and before Dan passes on. I wish H2 network would stop
promoting 'seven people must die' before they get down 235 feet to the present chamber area the team is working.
235 feet! It's a long way to finding anything in a water filled hole possibly fed by the ocean. Time will tell.

Retrieval method 'outside the box': get down to where treasure is located, use robotics to drill into side of any
chests and see what is inside there? Then split open any chests with underwater robotics or underwater explosives,
then use traditional ocean floor vacuums commonly used by treasure salvagers - to remove all coins, use robotics to
carry up larger objects such as gold bars or silver bars. No life is put at risk, no one dies or gets hurt.

So do you have a serious contrarian view or idea to most of what is being peddled as the best and only possible
answer to this puzzle on The Series and here on T-net? We'd like to hear it.

A good site with a historical timeline of TH'ers so far:
Oak Island Money Pit - The Last Great Unsolved Mystery

The historical record of searches on Oak Island says:
1849 (gold found)
"Beneath the layer of settled dirt, the Truro Company noticed that the auger then penetrated a series of strata
consisting of 4 inches of oak, followed by 6 inches of spruce, before entering seven feet of clay. To the crew, the
oak and spruce represented more than just a new configuration of wood platforms. After so many failed attempts, this
could finally be a chest containing the riches they sought. When the operators withdrew their probe from the pit,
they were given even more reason for excitement. Attached to the auger, the men of the Truro Company found three
small links of gold chain (Lamb, 2006)."

1897 (traces of gold found)
"Another discovery made during that excavation only came to light many years following the summer of 1897. As
indicated by Lamb, during that fateful excavation, drill operator William Chappell found traces of gold sediment on
the auger after drilling into the Money Pit (2006). Similar to James Pitblado, formerly of the Truro Company,
Chappell hid his valuable discovery from fellow crewmembers. It was not until 1931 that Chappell's findings would
come to light
."
Never be afraid.JPG

addendum:
Rick and Marty team - if you're reading this post: There's a guy on this site who is a Freemason theorist (Royal
Society of London, Baconist (primary), and Alchemists). He'd really like an audience with your team. Hence, he finds
'anyway necessary' to post on every thread on this site that is about Oak Island. Perhaps your team could invite him
to your 'war room' so he can explain to you how there is no treasure now and why. That'd be great for us because then
maybe we could have a string of posts that do include what this tread was designed to be about. I tried to be nice
about it and clearly spell that out on the first post - that didn't work the first time or the second time (no real
surprise there); and he has his own thread on oak island on this site dated Dec 02, 2014 02:47 PM. Thoughtful
consideration of this request and it's implied 'real meaning' will surely help you understand the deal here with
this somewhat odd scenario. :)
Robot_banned2_013015.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pyrite or Fool's Gold was mined at Oak island
"1577: Captain Frobisher's Second Voyage.
The purpose of the first voyage was to explore for a northwest passage to the riches of the Far East. This purpose, in the second voyage, was subordinated to the Queen's order that Captain Frobisher secure and exploit the new found gold mine in Meta Incognita, and then return to England with 100 tons of gold ore for further testing and refining in Bristol Castle and the Tower of London. Wisely, Queen Elizabeth had requested the Duke of Saxony to send someone to London who was a metallurgist and experienced in mining operations. The man sent was Jonas Schutz and that summer he had supervision over the mining operation and the construction of dry docks for loading the gold ore at Oak Island. His management resulted in 160 tons of ore being shipped to London for refining and testing. Frobisher's charter also enabled him to continue his search for the passage to Cathay, but that goal was less important than securing and exploiting the Meta Incognita mine."

http://forum.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1191

Fools & Gold.
"So it is reported the 1,100 tons of ore, turned out to be worthless, causing many investors to go bankrupt thus Frobisher's reputation was ruined.

Shortly after all this, Frobisher returned to piracy and along with Francis Drake, Frobisher is said to have begun raiding Spanish ships and settlements in the Caribbean. 'Pirates' - you wouldn't believe it! Soon after that he returned to England with 60,000 pounds of pure gold [960000 ounces @1250 US$1,200,000,000] when much of the [most] share went to the Queen."

"Edward de Vere: Crossed the Queen and the Earl lost out big time, over the timeline rumours suggest that over 20-30,000 pounds (weight) of gold went missing and the family thought the Queen pinched it all.
Interestingly the 17th Earl and his numerous Vere Sons and Cousins all together funded these expeditions with dual purposes to seek out profit and find a northwest passage - trade route. Interestingly the Earl may have been on one of these trips as he went missing for 7 years.

The connections between missing Gold, what happened to the Oxford family, issues surrounding Nova Scotia, pirating and lost treasures, accounts of Oxfords missing of 2 million pounds or 32000000oz of Gold are all now emerging out of the shadows of history."
http://www.houseofvere.com/Crown_Gold_Heist.php

Capt. Kidd link?
"Excavations continued through the early 1900s. In 1931, excavator William Chappell uncovered an axe, an anchor
fluke, and a pick. Because the area had been littered by equipment from the previous excavation attempts, it is
unknown who these artifacts belonged to. In 1928, Gilbert Hedden, a steel fabricating operator, had learned of the
island and became fascinated. After much research, he believed he found a link between Oak Island and a map found in
Harold T. Wilkins,’ book: Captain Kidd and His Skeleton Island. Hedden ultimately purchased the southeast end of the
island, and began digging in 1935, although his efforts were unsuccessful."

http://www.ancient-origins.net/unexplained-phenomena/lost-treasure-oak-island-and-centuries-old-quest-find-it-002427

Mystery stone at 90 feet
"It was not until the 1860s that an academic was able to examine the symbols and provide a credible translation. Although this fact, like many involving Oak Island, remains disputed, many believe that Dalhousie University Professor of Languages James Leitchi successfully decoded the tablet's inscription.
"Forty Feet below two million pounds are buried."

http://www.oakislandmoneypit.com/

So to recap this:
Edward de Vere funded Martin Frobisher's expeditions in search of the Northwest Passage and fortune.

'Frobisher set sail in 1578 with 15 ships, 300 Cornish miners and enough Oak lumber to build a colony. It was the largest Arctic expedition in history.'

Captain Frobisher mined tons of Fool's Gold from oak island. This created the underground caverns - mining caverns.

Frobisher returned to piracy and returned to England with 60,000 pounds of pure gold! Did he stash some for himself
and Edward de Vere? He already knew about oak island and the caverns from mining.

Edward de Vere - Crossed the Queen and 20-30,000 pounds (weight) of gold went missing, and on one of his trips he could have been missing for 7 years! Where was he?

Now at this point it is interesting to note that the Oak Timber used in the Money Pit has been C-14 carbon dated around 1575.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkCoUA0RxdM#t=511

Mystery stone found at 90 feet below surface translated to "Forty Feet below two million pounds are buried."

Are all these things mere coincidences?

I've pretty much layed out why I think my theory is quite possible, and most of my important cliff notes have now been recorded above
but I may add more.

Last edited:

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The (Untold) Story of The Oak Island Money Pit

The Oak Island Money Pit was constructed by the “powers that be” that were and still are to this day, the secret force that controls the course of mankind on earth.
This organization was made up of - Members of the Royal Society of London, Alchemists and Baconists.

The story of The Oak Island Money Pit begins in the 1760’s
It was conceived by a number of Britain’s high ranking naval officers, who were also members of the Alchemists, Baconists, with the majority members being from The Royal Society of London.
These Men were members of the Whig Party opposed to the next successor to the throne, the unstable King George III.
The members were:
Washington Shirley, 5th Earl Ferrers – Vice Admiral - Royal Society of London
George Anson, Baron Anson – Admiral of the Fleet - Royal Society of London
George Keppel, 3rd Earl of Albemarle - Commander-In-Chief - Royal Garter and Royal Society of London
Augustus Keppel, 1st Viscount Keppel – Rear Admiral – Brother to George Keppel - Royal Society of London
William Keppel – Lieutenant-General – Brother to George Keppel
George Pocock – Admiral – Commander of the Invasion of Havana
and
Benjamin Franklin – Founding Father of America and member of the Royal Society of London, who met in 1760 with Washington Shirley.

Their plot originated after King George III’s destruction of the Whig’s political power with his redirection of this power to the Tory Party, and their concern of the imminent invasion of England, during the Seven Years’ War, by the joint forces of France and Spain. Spain outlawed all forms of secret organizations.

Their plan was to redirect a fortune to the “New World” (North America), to enable the transfer of their belief, if and when these fears materialized.
The plan entailed the capture of Havana in 1762.
Havana’s Morro Castle was the Fort Knox of Spain, holding the South and Central America’s gold supply prior to its shipment to Spain.
The invasion of Havana was under the command of George Keppel, with Admiral George Pocock and Keppel’s two brothers Augustus and William Keppel, commanding the actual attack. They were successful with the capture of Havana and Fort Morro and its unprecedented amount of treasure. They also captured a number of the Spanish Fleet, which was needed to accomplish their plan. Accordingly, Admiral Pocock returned to England with the main English fleet carrying a portion of the treasure, while Augustus and William Keppel along with their crew and engineers all sworn to secrecy, manned the 8 Spanish Galleons and the 2 British Man of War. This treasure was diverted to a small island off the coast of New England and Nova Scotia now called Oak Island.

At Oak Island the treasure was buried based on their design of (Enoch’s Temple) consisting of nine arches going down nine levels by way of a main shaft (The Money Pit) which was dug down to the bedrock. From the ninth level another tunnel was constructed which ran back up to a point above the known water level, roughly 20 feet underground and at this point an enormous cavern was built to hold the treasure. The treasure was carted down the main shaft and placed up into this cavern. To conceal their plot they had the 8 Spanish ships dismantled with all the wooden parts not used in the construction of the shaft, tunnels and cavern burnt and all the metal parts (canons, anchors and bolts) were placed at the bottom of the main shaft. Flood tunnels were built out to the ocean to booby trap any treasure seekers attempts to follow down the main shaft. A large stone was placed at the air lock (8th level) as bait to activate the flooding. This stone had strange engravings on it to entice any unworthy treasure seekers to pause and take the bait (stone) away for deciphering, thus allowing time for the tunnels and main shaft to fill with water and be destroyed forever. They knew exactly by their calculated mark above ground where the treasure cavern below ground was located, and could access it by digging down 20 feet.

Once the treasure was secured in the cavern and all the evidence was hidden from the island, it was documented that the Keppels sailed back to England with 2 ships and a small portion of the treasure. They claimed that the remainder of the fleet had sunk in a hurricane on route.

This group left several markers on the island to relocate the treasure.
1 large triangle or more precisely a crude Sextant
2 drilled holed stones
1 large stone cross
These combined markers along with the Star Map are used to cross triangulate and a set degree on the sextant point to the “X” where the cavern is today located.

Is the treasure still in this cavern?

I believe it was removed in 1795

One of the three original discoverers of the Money Pit was Daniel McGinnis, who stated he was drawn to the island when he noticed strange lights appearing on the island just prior to his discovery.
These lights were made by the American Navy when they returned for their treasure.
This party was headed up by George Washington, President of the United States .

The treasure’s vast fortune was used, as planned, to further the power of their new design, in their new world, with them becoming “The New World Order”.

Last edited:

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I "sometimes" think the same thing about McGinnis seeing the lights and that whoever that was "may" have been retrieving the treasure.. What keeps me from believing it whole hardily is 1: why would they have covered/filled their holes back in. Get the treasure and get out of there.. 2: if they did fill their holes back in, it would have been obvious to the boys as they played on the island before noticing an impression in the dirt that later became known as The Money Pit. If the boys were on the island just after seeing the lights and IF someone filled their holes in it would be a mound of fresh dirt, or another impression in the ground ( as the money pit was ) with fresh dirt.. BUT the boys never mentioned the Money Pit impression being fresh dirt from their top view, we are lead to believe that the impression fit in with the surrounding dirt and they only noticed it from the impression they saw.. Until they started digging and realized it was back fill. SO either the people with the lights knew of a secret way to get the treasure without disturbing and or leaving a noticeable spot where they went in, or the boys really didn't get over to the island for "awhile" after seeing the lights and the filled in dirt had time to blend in with the surrounding dirt.. Would have thought if there were a "boat load" of people on the island it would have been more noticeable to the boys and or other towns people. Maybe see their boats, see them during the day on the island etc...

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a natural glacial sinkhole on an island that saw Portugese fishermen in the 14th century, later British and French. Is situated between two forts that were French and captured by British; so logging, hunting, scouting occurred at various times.

Dug at in 1795 by a group of teenagers. Later they purchased sections of the island and dug further. Found nothing and sold out to what has become a long series of drillers and excavators.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Robot, how far away from the money pit do you think the enormous cavern was? 20', 50', 100' keep in mind that I think it was Tobis that dug a roughly 100' x 100' pit down to the point where water came in as usual.. I would have thought they would have either found the treasure or an empty cavern if that theory was correct.. Plus someone over those early years, should have found loose dirt in the money pit where they tunneled out to the treasure cavern..

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's a natural glacial sinkhole on an island that saw Portugese fishermen in the 14th century, later British and French. Is situated between two forts that were French and captured by British; so logging, hunting, scouting occurred at various times.

Dug at in 1795 by a group of teenagers. Later they purchased sections of the island and dug further. Found nothing and sold out to what has become a long series of drillers and excavators.

I sort of agree with you, but believe it would have been Knights Templars in the 14th century (1308) and Basque fisherman, not Portuguese, a little later.
cheers, Loki

Last edited:

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
A Rose by any other name would smell as sweet?

Pirates of the Oak Island money Pit.jpg

The seven men who conspired and designed "The Oak Island" Shaft, Tunnels and Treasure Vault and along with the American's who came to retrieve this treasure were men more than what a name can depict.

What could describe them is what this Thread is about.

If caught by the Crown of England the charges would have been one of "Piracy".

The definition of Piracy is:

Piracy is typically an act of robbery or criminal violence at sea. The term can include acts committed on land, in the air, or in other major bodies of water or on a shore.

These men plundered the Spanish Ships and Forts accumulating treasures which they then robbed from the Royal Navy and the British Crown to keep this profit for their gang and individual needs.

The Americans raided a sovereign country to retrieve this treasure.

This in fact makes them "Pirates" and as masters of their own vessels "Captains".

On this Thread I will hereby refer to them as "The Pirates of the Oak Island Money Pit" and when addressed individually as Pirate Captain Shirley, Pirate Captain Anson, Pirate Captain Keppel, Pirate Captain Keppel 2, Pirate Captain Keppel 3, etc.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The Curse attributed to Oak Island has to do with the 7 Conspirators from my Theory!

the-curse-of-oak-island-featured-show-image-AB.jpeg

The Seven Pirate Conspirators, Pirate Captain Shirley, Pirate Captain Anson, Pirate Captain Keppel, Pirate Captain Keppel 2, Pirate Captain Keppel 3, Pirate Captain Pocock and Pirate Ben Franklin, through their "Greed for Gold" brought on "The Curse of Oak Island that Seven Must Die Before the Treasure will be Released".

This is confirmed by an old Pirate Folk Song sung amongst the Seafarers of Nova Scotia.

It goes something like this...

Seven men on Oak Island be..

brought the gold with all it's greed.

Seven Men on a Dead Man's Chest...

six are gone with one to rest.

Then this Treasure will be free...

from it's Curse beneath the sea.

Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum...

Shiver me Timbers for what's to come.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The Intelligence Shown by "Some Pirates"!

I "sometimes" think the same thing about McGinnis seeing the lights and that whoever that was "may" have been retrieving the treasure.. What keeps me from believing it whole hardily is 1: why would they have covered/filled their holes back in. Get the treasure and get out of there.. 2: if they did fill their holes back in, it would have been obvious to the boys as they played on the island before noticing an impression in the dirt that later became known as The Money Pit. If the boys were on the island just after seeing the lights and IF someone filled their holes in it would be a mound of fresh dirt, or another impression in the ground ( as the money pit was ) with fresh dirt.. BUT the boys never mentioned the Money Pit impression being fresh dirt from their top view, we are lead to believe that the impression fit in with the surrounding dirt and they only noticed it from the impression they saw.. Until they started digging and realized it was back fill. SO either the people with the lights knew of a secret way to get the treasure without disturbing and or leaving a noticeable spot where they went in, or the boys really didn't get over to the island for "awhile" after seeing the lights and the filled in dirt had time to blend in with the surrounding dirt.. Would have thought if there were a "boat load" of people on the island it would have been more noticeable to the boys and or other towns people. Maybe see their boats, see them during the day on the island etc...

Celestial Map.jpg Map.jpg

The answer is "A"
"SO either the people with the lights knew of a secret way to get the treasure without disturbing and or leaving a noticeable spot where they went in"

The "Pirates of the Oak Island Money Pit" constructed their Treasure Vault some distance away from the Money Pit.
This Vault is located roughly 50 feet off of the coast of the North/West part of this island.
The retrieval of their Treasure after 1790 ad, was quick and easy, in that all they had to do was dig an inclined hole from the shore down into this Vault.
Once the vault entrance was breached, they brought their ships from hiding behind Frog Island and loaded them up.
The dirt was placed back into this small opening which was then hidden by rocks and vegetation.

Unlike some Pirate’s Map written on a piece of paper with trees and rocks for markers, my research shows that these 18th Century Pirates of The Oak Island Money Pit were far too intelligent to rely on any man made printed maps or natural markers to relocate their Treasure Vault.

The treasure they buried was far too precious to be subject to possible destruction from the actions of man or nature.

These Pirates were navigators, astronomers, and mathematicians who I believe used indestructible Celestial Markers for their map.

I believe from my research that they used such a map for their Treasure Vault at Oak Island.

The Celestial Map was derived from their past esteemed member of the Royal Society of London, Sir Francis Bacon.

Francis Bacon left many clues to where this treasure would be located and on following these I believe I have located where the Treasure Vault at Oak Island is.

I used my computer’s 18th Century’s Celestial Program with the time and dates supplied by Bacon’s clues to reconstruct the markers left behind, showing the location of the Money Pit and the final destination of the Treasure Vault.

Final proof would require persuading the Lagina brothers or Fred Nolan (if this specified location is on his property) to proceed with digging the necessary 20 foot hole.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
One needs to think like a Smart Pirate "Not" like the Coyote to solve this Mystery!

Robot, how far away from the money pit do you think the enormous cavern was? 20', 50', 100' keep in mind that I think it was Tobis that dug a roughly 100' x 100' pit down to the point where water came in as usual.. I would have thought they would have either found the treasure or an empty cavern if that theory was correct.. Plus someone over those early years, should have found loose dirt in the money pit where they tunneled out to the treasure cavern..

In 1957 John Whitney Lewis showed a "Circular Tunnel" breaking off of the main shaft and I would presume this "Tunnel" proceeded roughly 500 feet to the Treasure Vault located at the North/West tip of the island.

The "Pirates" would use the Cornish Miners to pull the treasure up this inclined ramp of a tunnel on wooden sleds.

One of these Sleds was said to have be found.
coyote digging.jpg

The frustration experienced by treasure hunters and followers of the Money Pit exploration has been just according to what was planned by these Pirates of Oak Island.

This shaft was intended to be a diversion away from where the real treasure vault was located.

These Pirates knew that it would be only a matter of time before this island was searched by the local people and natives living there and they preferred that Searchers would come knocking first at their impregnable door.

Once this shaft was used as the entry tunnel leading to the vault and the treasure was secured up into the vault, they refilled and booby trapped it.

This is much like a Ground Squirrel digs his main tunnel leaving a mound of dirt at the entrance to entice where the coyote is to dig all along the Ground Squirrel is up in his cavern sleeping and can leave at any time via his concealed alternate exit.
Once the coyote gives up he does not return to dig at the same hole.

These Pirates had connections with the Royal Navy out of Halifax and they would have kept an eye on this island for them.
Anyone spending time searching may have quickly disappeared, as legend spoke about this island being haunted.

These Pirates were very intelligent men who were members of the Royal Society as astronomers, mathematicians, naval navigators and
civil engineers.

To recover the location of the treasure vault one would need to think how they thought and naught like the coyote, blasting, drilling and digging at will.

Last edited:

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All sounds possible to me. Though I have never heard anyone say they found and old sled.. 500' tunnel is a dang long tunnel to be hand dug. Would have taken a long time and some very brave men to do it..
1 Question for anyone who knows. I can't remember the guy who supposedly found tons and tons of fools gold on the island, but assuming he did. What was he originally on the island doing. Was he there just out of the blue looking for gold??? and dug a bunch of tunnels in the process?

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
There were no Greater Fools like those who mined "Fools Gold"!

All sounds possible to me. Though I have never heard anyone say they found and old sled.. 500' tunnel is a dang long tunnel to be hand dug. Would have taken a long time and some very brave men to do it..
1 Question for anyone who knows. I can't remember the guy who supposedly found tons and tons of fools gold on the island, but assuming he did. What was he originally on the island doing. Was he there just out of the blue looking for gold??? and dug a bunch of tunnels in the process?

Fool's Gold.jpg
His name was Martin Frobisher and during the 16th Century he made trips to Canada, mainly Newfoundland and Nunavut 3000 kms from what was Nova Scotia and he also was stated to have mined in Greenland.
Martin Frobisher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The people who claim that he mined or even mining was done on Oak Island do the treasure searching reputation of Oak Island a grave injustice.

The best article I can locate which states why Gold mining would not have been practical or even attempted is by Chesterbound:

Oak Island Gallery

"There are a number of areas within the province of Nova Scotia where considerable quantities of gold were once mined underground, and some where gold continues to be won. But could Oak Island have been the site of an underground gold mine as has been often suggested? Prior to the advent of the mechanical drill in the latter half of the nineteenth century, all underground metalliferous mines, virtually without exception, commenced with the discovery of outcrops of ore at ground surface. These outcrops were then followed underground. The richest goldfields in the world, those of the Witwatersrand of South Africa, began by working an outcrop discovered in 1852. Since then South Africa has produced half the world’s gold.As evidence of underground activity at the Money Pit was first noted in 1795, well before the invention of the mechanical drill, it may be supposed that any gold mining on Oak Island would have commenced with inclined shafts, or adits, driven from a rock outcrop. Unfortunately, there is an absence of any mention in the early historical records of derelict mining headgear existing on Oak Island in the vicinity of the Money Pit. The legendary tackle block suspended from the limb of the ancient oak, as reported by the boys who discovered the Money Pit, though suggestive of underground excavation, cannot be considered as headgear for a commercial mining enterprise. The inevitable adjuncts of such an operation would be piles of spoil and waste rock, and of these there is a total lack. Furthermore, the geological profile of the island, as determined by a deep borehole put down in 1983 (see Part IX), showed the soil overburden to consist of dense glacial till to a depth of 181 feet, which overlaid a 180 foot thick stratum of gypsum/anhydrite, which in turn was superimposed upon slate bedrock at a depth of 360 feet. The glacial till is most certainly devoid of any worthwhile gold in concentrated form, and in view of the geological processes involved in the deposition of gypsum/anhydrite, which are not conducive to gold deposition as this is an evaporite, any gold in the sequence of soil/rock strata beneath the Money Pit would be confined to the slate bedrock at considerably greater depths than that to which the Money Pit appears to have been excavated (210-230 feet). In view of the solubility of the gypsum/anhydrite bedrock any mining activity below sea level which penetrated into or through the gypsum/ anhydrite would be fraught with peril as we have seen (see Part IV). A brief comment may be made regarding exotic elements such as uranium and radium, as the suggestion is quite interesting. These are extremely reactive metals and never occur in their native states. It was not until the end of the nineteenth century that their existence was first suspected, and this eventually led to their isolation. Though both elements are widely distributed, they are also very minutely dispersed. The yield of radium from one metric ton of pitchblende is only 0.0001 gm. The isolation of both elements is a lengthy, expensive process even with modern technology."

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Rendering of 18th Century Sled (Not the actual Picture)

wooden sled.gif
The Wooden sled was located underground on Smith Cove by Dan Blankenship June 1970

May
Golder borehole 201, 100-feet north-northeast of Borehole 10X, finds metal pieces embedded in sand from 84.5-86.5 feet depth. [5.121]
May 25
Dalhousie University issues a report on samples from Borehole 103 at the Money Pit from 193-198 feet. The report indicates the samples show a mix of recent pollen types in with glacial till, indicating man-made soil infilling. [5.109,204]
June
Golder boreholes 202 and 203 are drilled close to Borehole 10X. Wood and metal fragments are recovered from about 150 feet. [5.123]
(month unknown)
A 400-foot long cofferdam is built around the perimeter of Smith's Cove, 50 feet further out than earlier dams. After it is built, a large U-shaped wooden structure is uncovered below low tide. It is made of several 2-foot thick logs, 30-65 feet long, notched at 4-foot intervals, with Roman numerals carved beside each notch. The notches had been bored and some contain 2-inch thick wooden dowels. Experts conclude this was an ancient wharf or remains of workings in construction of original cofferdam. [4.162] [5.111]
Excavation of Smith's Cove also exposes a heart-shaped stone, a pair of ancient wrought-iron scissors, a small wooden sled, a 12-inch long segment of an iron ruler, and iron nails, spikes, and tools. [5.117]"

Chronology of the Oak Island Treasure Hunt (1960-1972)

It has also been documented by numerous other sites.

The 500 foot tunnel would have been no problem for these Cornish Tin Miners.
They have been recorded to have dug tunnels in excess of 3000 feet.
This was all accomplished during the 1 year leave that the Keppels, Cornish Miners and the missing Canadian Grenadiers were supposedly away in the Caribbean.

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
read post #2 on this thread to find out who dug the Fool's Gold and perhaps the smoking gun. It's been rewritten and was a placeholder to get my point across right at the beginning of this thread before the self-appointed expert of Oak Island arrived trying to convince us all of his fool-proof theory. Shame you have to do that but that's ok. :laughing7:
oh and don't miss the addendum added to my original post on this thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
placeholder #2

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
placeholder #3
Another possible theory - The Mayans had the engineering skills to build a booby trapped Oak Island Treasure Vault. I remember seeing long ago that a turtle rock was found on Oak Island. Turtle rocks were used by the Mayans. They were also used by the Spanish to mark where they thought a gold mind existed or did actually exist.

"Inca or Maya treasure - during the conquering of the Americas by the Europeans in the 17th and 18th centuries, much of the wealth of the Incas and Mayas disappeared. Usually rumored to have been buried or sunken at the bottom of lakes, some researchers believe that it's possible that a group of Incas or Mayas, possible with the help of sympathetic Europeans, stole away with the wealth and buried on Oak Island out of the reach of the conquerors."

http://www.activemind.com/Mysterious/Topics/oakisland/theories.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
placeholder #4
The Secret Treasure of Oak island by D'Arcy O'Conner (p189) discusses gold mining on Oak Island. Unfortunately
the link that Charlie P. (NY) provided in his post was lost, when my original thread with this title was
deleted. Anyway, it mentions Fool's Gold being mined on Oak Island. This seems like a rather large piece of
this puzzle.

A turtle monument or rock was supposedly found on Oak Island. As I said before - the Spanish used these
to mark mines but the MAYANS used them too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
placeholder #5
"Evidence presented earlier points to British Government involvement upon Oak Island during the period 1752-54, and
considerable effort has been made to seek documentary evidence from that period in open file.The results though
sketchy, have been adequate enough to forge a link (see Part X) but, nevertheless, insufficient for that link to be
considered indisputable."

Part X
"The concept of the Flood Tunnel, at least in principle, can be associated with Colonel Thomas Lascelles (1670-1751).
Because of his death the task of translating concept into reality would have devolved upon John Henry Bastide, a much
younger man, and one well suited to the task by his already lengthy experience of military works in Nova Scotia.
Because of the secrecy and importance of the project it may be expected that Bastide would have supervised all on-
site engineering while the bulk of the work was in progress. Strangely, Bastide is listed in the records as being ‘on
vacation’ between 1751 and 1754, while other documentation shows him to have written letters from Annaplois Royal.
Other subordinate engineers, such as William Bontein and William Cowley, would have undertaken specific tasks in line
with their specialist engineering capabilities, i.e. tunneling and marine construction respectively.

A support group would have been necessary to provide the general labour, much along the lines of army pioneer corps

today. Evidence has been presented in The Oak Island Treasure: The Military Cover-Up 1752-54 that this was provided
by companies of Lascelles’s Regiment (47th Foot) who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1750. The commander of the 47th was
Colonel Peregrine Lascelles, who appears to have been a relative of Colonel Thomas Lascelles, the Chief Engineer of
Great Britain. Another member of the family who appears to have had a connection with the work, but remains a shadowy
individual, was William Lascelles. Three members of the Lascelles family in the same place at the same time is surely
suggestive of clandestine purpose!

The total workforce on Oak Island, during the excavation of the Flood Tunnel and the intake facilities within the
Smith’s Cove Cofferdam, would have amounted to in excess of a hundred persons. Wives and children are also likely to
have been present, swelling the numbers. With an overall project period of two years, or possibly somewhat longer
allowing for initial preparation work and subsequent demolition, the presence of a large number of people on the
island for that period would have left an everlasting legacy in the form of cesspits. These are likely to have been
concentrated in the vicinity of a barracks/stores area. No matter how meticulous the clean up of the island after the
project came to a successful conclusion, the cesspits would have remained. A useful exercise would be to map the
island with this objective in mind."

http://www.chesterbound.com/Oak_Island/scribes corner - 35.htm#part:3210

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
placeholder #6
Theory #2
Military engineered (British) - they built Money Pit and booby trapped the island.

Then a huge treasure was placed there from the wreck of the Concepción, or privateer operations raiding Spanish ships and settlements in the Caribbean, or something of this nature.

The question remains why would they leave it there? Would it have started a war with Spain if brought back to British Isles at that time?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread