My abbreviated theory for the Knights Templar treasure in Nova Scotia

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
That is what makes so many of what is posted on these threads questionable.
Believing without a solid foundation based on actual hard facts is not evidence providing proof for many of the one liner statements posted as fact in these threads of which you have done many times over.
If all these claims of Templars, Sinclair, and de Sudeley voyaging to North America were indeed factual, they would be accepted and have written reviewed papers by the professional community of historian academics and scholars.
Instead all this proclaimed "revolution" of known history comes from self published books or niche pulp publishers all written by non historians for profit.
Which brings us this point; if one presents information as fact, one should be able to support that information with fact.
Telling a reader to believe what they will does not provide credibility at all, just makes one question the integrity of the information.

OP
OP
L

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
While you are conjecturing and not claiming solid proof, why would the Templars sail to Nova Scotia and not Newfoundland or further south along the Eastern seaboard?
The same can be questioned concerning Henry Sinclair?
Those who allege that Ralph se Sudeley made the voyage across the Atlantic arrived somewhere along the New York coastline and maybe up the Hudson River. Why didn't he land at that hot resort spot of Nova Scotia?
All these pseudo books of speculation never really explain the why or reason for the chosen destination.

I "think" Nova Scotia may have been the Viking "Vinland" of the Icelandic Sagas. And no I don't have any proof of that. It could also have been because they thought the Native Girls were pretty. In reality I have no idea why they picked Nova Scotia, although after many trips there I will say it is a beautiful area.
I do know that the clues that came back to France indicate a certain location near Annapolis Basin a site I did visit.

One might ask, why did the Vikings found a settlement further North in a much more desolate location?

Cheers, Loki

Last edited:

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Vikings...Just Went With The Flow!

I "think" Nova Scotia may have been the Viking "Vinland" of the Icelandic Sagas. And no I don't have any proof of that. It could also have been because they thought the Native Girls were pretty. In reality I have no idea why they picked Nova Scotia, although after many trips there I will say it is a beautiful area.
I do know that the clues that came back to France indicate a certain location near Annapolis Basin a site I did visit.

One might ask, why did the Vikings found a settlement further North in a much more desolate location?

Cheers, Loki

Salt Water of Oceans 3.jpg

Why fight it...when the current will drop you off...at Oak Island!

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1799129

Why fight it...when the current will drop you off...at Oak Island!

What are you attempting to claim was "dropped off" at Oak Island, Vikings, Templars, Sinclair, coconut coir, manila hemp ropes, eel grass, message in a bottle, various flotsam and jetsam?
You do realize that ocean currents have several streams that create variables in the flows of the Gulf Stream and Labrador Current, which also meet off of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina with many things dropped off along that coast.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ,What about migrating marine mammals and sea birds ? Not thought just dodo TP

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The Knight's even made trips to Onteria (Nova Scotia) in the 12th Century.
You are claiming that after Hugues de Payens formed the Knights Templar in 1119 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land, that found the time to sail to Nova Scotia in the 1100's?
Where and how do you arrived with this information?

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You are claiming that after Hugues de Payens formed the Knights Templar in 1119 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land, that found the time to sail to Nova Scotia in the 1100's?
He pulled it out of his @$$

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There were 56 years between the formation of the Knight's Templar and the Journey to Onteria.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He was not necessarily wrong; just overly indecorous in presenting his observations.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
I "think" Nova Scotia may have been the Viking "Vinland" of the Icelandic Sagas.

I disagree, but there's enough wiggle room in the interpretation of the Sagas to allow for this possibility. Barring a very lucky archaeological discovery, we'll probably never know exactly where Vinland was. It's a real shame.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Newfoundland is much more likely the "Vinland" of Norse sagas; as that is where the archeologists have found evidence of Norse activity from around 900 to 1,000 AD.

OP
OP
L

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Newfoundland is much more likely the "Vinland" of Norse sagas; as that is where the archeologists have found evidence of Norse activity from around 900 to 1,000 AD.

Except that Newfoundland didn't have the vines and the grapes, whereas, a little further South and before the Little Ice Age Nova Scotia or New Brunswick would have fit the bill. Not probably worth a discussion, but its my opinion.

Cheers, Loki

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Frost Grape (Vitis riparia) is native as far north as Quebec; and also Nova Scotia. Which is is the western border of Newfoundland, and the grape is found there as well. There are several other northern wild grapes.

The Frost Grape was even use by the French to strengthen their vines from fungal infections.

You're also assuming the "vin" of Vinland refers to a grape-based wine rather than other fermentables. What were the naive grapes of Norway and Sweden in 1,000 AD?

We seldom picture a Big 'ol Dane with iron mounted helm quaffing Merlot from a silver-banded drinking horn.

The same root of "Vinland" gave us vinegar (vyn egre: "sour wine"). Vinegar is made from many things other than grapes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Frost Grape (Vitis riparia) is native as far north as Quebec; and also Nova Scotia. Which is is the western border of Newfoundland, and the grape is found there as well. There are several other northern wild grapes.

The Frost Grape was even use by the French to strengthen their vines from fungal infections.

You're also assuming the "vin" of Vinland refers to a grape-based wine rather than other fermentables. What were the naive grapes of Norway and Sweden in 1,000 AD?

We seldom picture a Big 'ol Dane with iron mounted helm quaffing Merlot from a silver-banded drinking horn.

The same root of "Vinland" gave us vinegar (vyn egre: "sour wine"). Vinegar is made from many things other than grapes.

All good points Charlie!

My point would be that to name an area Vinland if it did mean lots of grapevines, they would have to be extremely abundant.

Cheers, Loki

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It had been long assumed Eric meant grapes or grape vines for his calling it "Vinland". Literally "Land of Wine". But the Old Norse word for grape was "vinber" and grape vine was "vínviðr" (would sound like "vinviedr" - good luck).

So if he meant land of grapes or land of grapevines he, logically, would have called in "Vinberland" or "Vínviðrland" instead of "Vinland". Grapes are not really a Scandanavian thing, but any fruit makes wine. Apples, cherrys, raspberries and currents, gooseberrys, etc.

And who knows? The Shetland Islands (Norse for "Hilt Land") above Scotland was likely not named because hilts were found there. But, perhaps, because at that point the raiders grabbed their hilts. So Wine Land may have been named because it's time to break out the wine and celebrate if you survived that trip!

OP
OP
L

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It had been long assumed Eric meant grapes or grape vines for his calling it "Vinland". Literally "Land of Wine". But the Old Norse word for grape was "vinber" and grape vine was "vínviðr" (would sound like "vinviedr" - good luck).

So if he meant land of grapes or land of grapevines he, logically, would have called in "Vinberland" or "Vínviðrland" instead of "Vinland". Grapes are not really a Scandanavian thing, but any fruit makes wine. Apples, cherrys, raspberries and currents, gooseberrys, etc.

And who knows? The Shetland Islands (Norse for "Hilt Land") above Scotland was likely not named because hilts were found there. But, perhaps, because at that point the raiders grabbed their hilts. So Wine Land may have been named because it's time to break out the wine and celebrate if you survived that trip!

My source for my own opinion is from Adam of Bremen's implication c.1075 that the name Vinland refers to an area of actual grapevines, his own source being King Svend Estridsson of Denmark. It was also claimed in the Sagas that there were at least two areas one of which was a summer site of large trees and grapevines. I certainly agree that this is all conjecture until more evidence is found, but the original site of L'anse aux Meadows did prove at least part of the sagas.

Cheers, Loki

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread