Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
History Channel Taps Native For ‘Curse Of Oak Island’ Tune-In Campaign

the-curse-of-oak-island-featured-show-image-AB.jpeg
by Sarah Sluis // Thursday, June 25th, 2015 — 9:41 am
Share:
Native Curse of Oak IslandHorizon Media had done plenty of direct-to-publisher native campaigns to promote shows for its entertainment clients, including The History Channel.
But the campaigns lacked scale.

“Curating these experiences in a way where we can impact scale is vitally important when we’re trying to drive a [Nielsen] ratings number,” said Joe Hadari, SVP and managing director of Horizon Media.

When running native programs curated directly with a publisher, Horizon faced “diminishing returns for how able we were to scale,” Hadari said.

With that in mind, Horizon devised a plan to promote the second season of The History Channel’s reality series, “The Curse of Oak Island,” that involved creating content to be distributed across Nativo’s publisher network, including sites like Perez Hilton, the Examiner and IFL Science. The campaign ran from October to February, both in the lead up to the premiere and throughout the season.

By using the publisher network, Horizon could distribute its content widely without countless man hours devoted to optimization. Because the campaign was native, Horizon expected higher engagement — and the campaign delivered.

“The time spent on content averaged over two minutes, when a pre-roll spot is 15 or 30 seconds,” Hadari said. “That was a strong consumer connection, and that engagement metric was most meaningful for us.”

The content also boasted a click-through rate of 1.99%.

Because The History Channel is already a content creator, it prefers opportunities to showcase its own content, rather than slapping its name on someone else’s product. That made Nativo, which focuses on distribution of content, a better fit than going to a publisher’s content studio.

“What we like about native is it capitalizes on partners’ environments, and allows us to integrate in a really organic way across publishers,” Hadari said. “We didn’t want it to feel inauthentic when we expanded the native offering.”

Nativo’s optimization algorithm will optimize toward the content that works best within a publisher’s site, addressing that issue of authenticity.

“We ran 50 versions with different permutations of imagery, headlines and content,” Hadari said, noting that Nativo’s tech optimized to match the best creative to the best environment.

In this campaign, the same type of content rose to the top no matter the environment. Readers engaged most with content that emphasized the themes of the show, namely mystery.

“It was good to prove out that you don’t need to be as explicit about what you’re saying” vs. a brand display ad, for example, where tune-in messaging needs to be more clear-cut, Hadari said.

The native placements functioned as the top-of-funnel part of the campaign, while video pre-roll further raised awareness. Retargeting reached readers who had viewed the content to remind them of their interest in the show.

The Publisher Point Of View

Over the course of the “Curse of Oak Island” campaign, Nativo moved placements to top-performing sites while also optimizing within them. For the Examiner, one of the top-performing sites in the campaign, that led to a 2x increase in time spent and a 6x increase in successful calls to action — for example, clicking “Watch now.”

The Examiner has been working with Nativo since the fall, and it welcomes the revenue that comes from Nativo advertisers. As VP of revenue operations for the Examiner, Julie Butler looks for “advertising opportunities that are high-quality, that our users will like and [that] will bring in high CPMs.”

Nativo, the first native provider the Examiner has worked with, fit those criteria. The publisher typically sees about 30 campaigns running through Nativo’s marketplace at a given time. Advertisers pay Nativo on a viewable CPM and publishers receive payment on the same basis.

To better attract readers, the Examiner experimented with different placements for the native ad units. Discovering that the bottom of the page performed poorly, the publisher now focuses on putting units at the top of the page, such as in the right rail — a placement that’s not in-feed, per se, but mirrors the look of articles.

“[Readers] seem happy with well-integrated visuals vs. invasive banners,” Butler said.
That’s what Horizon is trying to achieve, too.

“With native, it’s beneficial to the publisher and advertiser to make it more relevant to the consumers,” Hadari said.

The challenge for publishers, however, will be to scale native “in a tempered way to make sure they’re maintaining the value of their product in the native space,” he added.

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were at Oak Island last week ( June 16,17,18. )and no film crew in the area. When did they start filming.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2013. Probably did all the site footage for the first two seasons then and possibly the third as well.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2013. Probably did all the site footage for the first two seasons then and possibly the third as well.

That is highly possible, I didn't really think of that. I always thought it looked like they only spent a couple of weeks their each year anyway...

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
That is highly possible, I didn't really think of that. I always thought it looked like they only spent a couple of weeks their each year anyway...

Man, that would suck....They bought into the island only for that little bit of time......

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be back in Nova Scotia next week and try to see if they are done filming or what's up.

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A quick review of my email showed no signs of anyone in the industry doing anything worthwhile.

Wanna bet there is more interest than quality programming these days......?

Time to buy my own camera and scanning equipment.

Leila

Jan 12, 2014
Southern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just thinking about Oak Island today and wondering if there would be a 3rd season. It would be disappointing if there wasn't and Oak Island continues to be a mystery. I was so hoping that with all the modern technology, we'd finally get some answers.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
. . . we'd finally get some answers.

The answer has been found and repeated a hundred times: "Nuttin to see here folks - move along".

Now we're reduced to looking at the junk left by prior lookers.

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you like their facebook page you will get updates

rowanns

Jan 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
According to HON. DENISE PETERSON-RAFUSE The honourable member for Chester-St. Margaret's.

".....I understand they have a five-year contract, so last year was the first of that series."

Assembly 62, Session 2 / Hansard / Proceedings / The Nova Scotia Legislature

Well, as a Nova Scotian, let me just say that if the NS government gets involved, nothing will ever be found, progress will be halted, and everything will become a great big mess. We have a long history here of governments that can't even find their way out of a paper bag. Nothing good will ever come from this bunch getting their mitts into what is happening on Oak Island. Stewardship my left butt cheek - you can't even find a coin on a beach up here of any substantial value without this gang claiming it as somehow belonging to the "Province". The government needs to be quiet and back off. If Americans want to know what a true nanny state looks like, come here.

The Oak Island team needs to hire an archaeologist who can assist with what they have found, but for god's sake, don't take one the government offers. No disrespect to those archaeologists - they are great, but their masters are not.

Last edited:

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arent' those Canadians tricky......take their names and titles and switch them up so nobody can tell what they are referencing.

They even went from 'First Nations' to 'Aboriginals' last I heard......

I was thinking, oh great here we go again, avoiding the issue

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
Arent' those Canadians tricky......take their names and titles and switch them up so nobody can tell what they are referencing.

They even went from 'First Nations' to 'Aboriginals' last I heard......

I was thinking, oh great here we go again, avoiding the issue
Aboriginal! Did I miss a show?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread