Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

SSR

Sep 24, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry... I think your reasoning here is 95% projection 5% relevance. There is a reference to pirate treasure in Chester Bay but nothing here pointing to OI and nothing that could provide any clue if it were on OI where. I'm not sure why you think this book is so helpful.

Relax.That's not true at all. There isn't a reference to pirate treasure in this book. There is the repeated suggestion that there is no pirate or French treasure in Chester Bay presented to us at the same time there is a suggestion that there is in fact a mystery there. This book was written before there was searcher activity in the 1848-49 period. There is no other treasure story associated to this area in 19th century NS. The one Haliburton involves in his allegory (this is not a historical recounting of anything) is the only one we know. I can assure you he's talking about the OI story because in volume II he introduces a character named John Smith (based on the settler who lived on lot 18 on OI) which he portrays allegorically as being Francis Bacon. You will recognize in that little expose an account to clues that are associated with John Smith's chimney. That later becomes the 90 foot stone put into John Smith's chimney in OI mythology. Haliburton refers back to 40 years before he wrote this book to the period of the alleged 1803-04 searcher events that no one has ever been able to verify actually happened. His characters "the old General and the old Admiral" refer to two of the alleged men involved. Almost every detail in the earliest OI stories are dealt with in the first volume allegorically. If you have read a bit about this and have not gone deeply into this book then please do not speak as if you have and have some scholarly authority about. All the characters in this book relate to the OI mystery in symbolic ways. I have about 200 pages of notes on this book, which is probably enough to get a Doctorate in literary studies with if I wanted to pursue one. Don't dismiss this book. It is talking about things that haven't yet even circulated as OI legend yet. Thomas Haliburton was no slouch. He was a leading NS figure and a great writer in his own right. He did something here that no one has really looked at closely. This work you should recognize as being very close to the earliest works of European religious allegory.

Last edited:

SSR

Sep 24, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You picked up on a gross error that I won't go back and edit it to make you look bad. Thanks for highlighting it. That's supposed to be Halliburton, not Bacon. Constance is his cousin Jessy's daughter. He lived with the family prior to publishing "The Old Judge". His high society London relatives went by the name Burton. They were among the first to change their name to Burton to hide their Scottish roots. Haliburton's cousin and companion James later switched back to Haliburton when he was disowned by the family. Do look it up. It' s good that you verify the things I say. Sorry for this mistake.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread