jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the end of the show the had a remote camera/vehicle. I have been wondering why they never sent one down instead to waiting on a diver.

if they do , they will stir things up first so it will be too cloudy to make anything out

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I forgot to watch last night. Did they find the treasure?

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Marty said...Stay tuned for Season "4"!

I forgot to watch last night. Did they find the treasure?

Curse_Oak_Island.jpg

Every since they were kids Rick and Marty Lagina have shared an insatiable desire (Rick a little more than Marty) to solve the mystery surrounding Oak Island, a 140-acre island off the coast of Nova Scotia believed to be the resting place of ancient treasures dating back to the Knights Templar (some even believe the Ark of the Covenant is located there). The legends about deadly curses and glorious treasures have fascinated explorers for over 200 years. It’s been a maddening process but they are determined to see it through.

9pmET/8pmCT). The Michigan-based brothers fielded our questions on if they get to the bottom of the money pit, who is paying for all of this and more.

Are we going to get to the bottom of this pit this season?
Marty: Rick, why don’t you answer that?
(Publicist interjects — no spoilers)
Rick: Let’s put it this way. Five months we were up there, and we did a lot of exploration. Let’s leave it at that, and you’ll have to tune in.

OK, I get it. In regards to just the money involved in pursuing this dream, I mean where is all this money coming from?
Rick: Boy, you managed to hit the two forbidden topics in the first two questions.
Marty: You know it’s coming from us. We’re financing it. That’s basically where the money is coming from – us.

Well, the island has a long history of people losing their fortunes — people who have sunk all their money into pursuing this – so how do you prevent yourself from falling into a similar trap?
Marty: The first comment about that, I find that very instructive because when we look back to the history, one of the things we worry about is – is it a hoax? Was the data misreported? But hoaxers don’t do what you just described. They don’t spend their whole lives there, and their entire fortune, looking. The history kind of bears out that everybody was truly intrigued, was truly reporting real findings, and that’s a very significant thing. As to how we make sure we don’t have the same fate, I’m not so sure, Rick?
Rick: What we endeavor to do is that every situation, it’s a financial risk/financial reward within the context of finances, if you will. It’s a judgment call. If you feel like you can’t make progress, of course, then you have to either abandon or limit your activities. That’s basically the parameters under which we’re operating.

I meant no offense by asking the question, it’s just like “man, let’s figure this out.” If money wasn’t a factor what would it take to drill three thousand holes on that island and solve this thing once and for all?
Rick: That’s a really good point too, and we saw it by bringing state of the art technology to bear, we figured we would figure this out in a week. [Or a summer, Rick adds]. It proves to be a formidable adversary. You’re right, others had suggested that. Dig the whole thing up. Well, there’s some limits, financial, environmental, to doing it that way. We’re trying to get to the bottom of it, believe me nobody wants to get the final answers better than us, but we made some damn significant progress, I think, this year, and some interesting revelations.

Have you envisioned coming to an end to this story? Like getting to the bottom? What do those dreams look like to you guys?
Rick: I don’t know about the dream, but of course the goal is to solve the mystery – it’s not so much of a treasure, my brother might differ a bit on that, but there is a wonderful story written there. I’d like to put pen to paper and tell that story. We asked our father prior to his passing: “Dad, if there’s real treasure on Oak Island, what should we do with it?” My father didn’t hesitate. He said, “Do good with it.” I guess that would be the end game, if treasure were involved, and I believe that there will be.
Marty: It’s such a puzzle in front of us, I think that’s as far as we thought of it. It’d be a very happy problem, I hope, if we unearth something that big and that historically important. We would have to deal with that then, I guess.

When and how often do you go to Oak Island? I know it’s over the summer season, but how long are you really there?
Rick: We spend the amount time that we can. I’m retired, and Marty still has business adventures ongoing, so he splits his time. We were there overall five months this year. Family and friends come up. Our sisters have come up with their families. Marty’s son, Alex, has participated in the process, and so have our nephews, Peter and David. They’re all somewhat invested. Not all of them believe however.

DeerStalker

May 11, 2012
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In response to post #137... I was recently watching an episode of "Myth Hunters" (I believe that was the show) where the subject was the Capt. Kidd map. According to that show, the Kidd map is of an island in the China see off the coast of Vietnam. Seemed pretty valid as to how the real island matched the one in the book. But, who knows. Templar, pirates, British staging area for the Revolutionary War??? I just hope they find something!

DeerStalker

May 11, 2012
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, another thing that bugs me. In one episode Rick says something about pumping the water out of 10x, but Marty tells him no because the chamber could collapse. Fine, but why not at least pump it out of 10x down to the 27" hole? Then you can send a diver down and it won't be a 200 + foot dive. Just doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, another thing that bugs me. In one episode Rick says something about pumping the water out of 10x, but Marty tells him no because the chamber could collapse. Fine, but why not at least pump it out of 10x down to the 27" hole? Then you can send a diver down and it won't be a 200 + foot dive. Just doesn't seem to make much sense to me.
Yep.. Thought the same thing myself... Last night it was great they found that other old shaft that should help them pinpoint the original Money pit. It was also very positive that it pointed in the same direction where they dug the hole and may of hit the corner of Chapel's vault. I can see why they do not just dig for fear of water flooding everything. There was another group who were going to invest in finding the money pit but it fell apart with the bursting of the dot com bubble. There plan was to freeze the ground like they do when digging tunnels and have water problems. It seems like a good idea to deal with water problem.

I also do not know why they did not get the dive team of professionals they had to make the dive they seemed experienced and had the right equipment.

I quite enjoy all there investigating of the legends and myths surrounding the pit and do not begrudge them including it in their TV show (although I feel the frustration of wanting to know the answer). What really hits home to me is how big a job it is to do something like this. Everything is hard and full of unanticipated problems.

I find the show really fascinating and would love to be a part of a treasure hunting adventure like this.

I really hope they find something that is truly amazing but I would not be betting a whole lot of money on it.

Looking forward to the next show.. The season is 13 episodes so I imagine the big finds will not be revealed until the last couple of episodes.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Season 34: Surviving Brother finds pirate Lincoln Head Cent!

old+metal+detectorist.gif

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't start watching the show until 15 minutes before the show is going to end, and then turn it on. Wait until the next group of commercials comes on, and there will probably be a preview of next weeks show, and that will show the highlights for the next show.............Done, ya just saved 45 mins. a week!:BangHead:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if they do , they will stir things up first so it will be too cloudy to make anything out
The same things that would happen if a diver went down. Stay turn for next week, if you want to waste your time. It is outrages, that they spend time looking at a rock.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
If removing that last half a piece of piping was so important, then why did they NOT attempt to finish the job ? They had the equipment in place, they had the dive team assembled, all that was lacking was for another diver go back down and attach that "Grip" hook that came off. They had one firmly in place. When they suddenly decided to pull the plug on all their efforts, it just seemed like they keep jumping from one location, or task, to another without sticking with the one at hand and seeing it though so they could conclusively write it off.
All in all,I agree with digger460.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my understanding they are now afraid if the pull the pipe all the way out it
will make the hole more susceptible to collapse .

My guess that position of the pipe now will be the excuse why no body will attempt the dive

and getting to the bottom of 10X will have to be extended to season 3 (4,5,6,7 ?)

I hate to sound like a broken record, but if it is this complicated to get in there, what makes them think
it was a walk in the park for a knights templar 500 years ago who needed to hide something quickly.

captain1965

Apr 12, 2015
Mesa
Detector(s) used
fisher gemini 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my understanding they are now afraid if the pull the pipe all the way out it
will make the hole more susceptible to collapse .

My guess that position of the pipe now will be the excuse why no body will attempt the dive

and getting to the bottom of 10X will have to be extended to season 3 (4,5,6,7 ?)

I hate to sound like a broken record, but if it is this complicated to get in there, what makes them think
it was a walk in the park for a knights templar 500 years ago who needed to hide something quickly.

Who said that the Templar needed to hide something quickly?
It could have taken many years.

Last edited:

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
These shows are nothing more then the 21st century version of the old 10 cent movie shows. Each show gave you a tidbit and then left you hanging, till the next episode. Will Tonto save the Lone Ranger, will Roy rescue Dale, did Lassie push Timmy in the well? Come back next week to find out! Same Bat time, same Bat channel.

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These shows are nothing more then the 21st century version of the old 10 cent movie shows. Each show gave you a tidbit and then left you hanging, till the next episode. Will Tonto save the Lone Ranger, will Roy rescue Dale, did Lassie push Timmy in the well? Come back next week to find out! Same Bat time, same Bat channel.

Ha, good analogy ! I loved all those old shows too, couldn't wait until next Saturday morning to find out if Roy would get the bad guys, would Penny tell Sky King in time to save the orphans etc. Those were the good ol' days. I think you are right, this type of show has replaced the old serial TV shows.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions