Season "3" of Curse of Oak Island

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
I see two sides to this coin - one side is that it's a couple of guys having fun doing what they love doing, as we all do - Treasure hunting. More power to them! Now the other side - it's a reality show and with reality shows comes high ratings which adds a lot of commercial interest so there is potential for some things to be not so true. Kind of like all the monster shows popping up all the time with claims of more and more beasts living among us like the batsquatch, sheepsquatch, jersey devil whattyamacall it, and endless other fabricated beasts, even one that if you stare into it's eyes, you will turn into one. Then there is the monster where if you apply salt to it, it will explode. "Reality tv" at it's finest.

I'm guessing the brothers aren't at all stupid. They spend their summers pursuing something that has interested them all their lives. (Who here wouldn't like to be able to do that) "Leasing" CAT equipment makes for pretty decent product placement for Caterpillar (note that they blur out names on non-paying equipment - no free advertising for you!) and saves the brothers a bunch of money on equipment. Working with a "reality" show film team most likely got the History Channel to foot a portion of the expenses as well. The less they spend, the more summers they can do what they enjoy. A win-win for everybody but us vicarious sots that have to yawn through the typical "reality" show program format. Too many commercials, too much repeating what they did right before the commercials (must think we have the retention of a gnat), and not enough meat-and-potatoes DIGGING.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
That's another throbbing red flag. It's assumed that the loot was first buried, then protected with booby traps that would flood the vault with an unstoppable flow of sea water that would stymie anyone trying to recover the treasure. Fine. But if so, how did the guys who buried the treasure in the first place figure that they would be able to recover it themselves, once the "floodgates" were activated and the vault was unreachable? They "were very smart", you say?

Here's another one. The "carved stone" at 90 feet down. According to lore, it basically says, "Keep digging. Money 40 feet below." Really? Why the message? Is someone who's dug 90 feet going to quit? And why bury money 130 feet deep? Wouldn't 10 or 20 do? Oh, and what if it's the Ark of the Covenant down there? Why would the Knights Templar risk innundating, and likely destroying, such an important artifact in a hundred feet of sea water and sludge? None of this makes sense.

One of the theories is that whatever is down there was places by the Knights Templar (or, rather, what remained of them after their slaughter by the church). If so, the 'engineering' was likely done by the Masons - probably the best engineering skills of the time. I would expect that as the designers, they also had a plan as to how (and where) to thwart their own booby traps. One of the things about most historical 'legends' is that there is usually SOME basis of truth to them, although it is often exaggerated over time. The water-filled cavity at the bottom of 10-x appears to contain man-made objects. Whether miners tools left in a long-abandoned shaft or 'treasure', who knows. One thing some may have missed in the last episode was a reference Rick made to having contracted the diving salvage team to finish cleaning out 10-X. Will we get to see another attempt to dive to the bottom this year ? I hope so. But if they did, and if they found 'treasure' that would pretty much be the end of the show. Not good for the History Channel. So, there would be an incentive for them to drag this out even longer.

I've wasted more than an hour a week on worse things in my life. I'll keep watching.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was reading some other articles when I saw that 10X spot was originally decided by the use of divining rods. I have read many articles saying these things are just rubbish. Any independent tests that are carried out have shown them not to work. Here for example
Most dowsers do not consider it important to doubt their dowsing powers or to wonder if they are self-deceived. They never consider doing a controlled scientific test of their powers. They think that the fact that they have been successful over the years at dowsing is proof enough. When dowsers are scientifically tested and fail, they generally react with genuine surprise. Typical is what happened when James Randi tested some dowsers using a protocol they all agreed upon. If they could locate water in underground pipes at an 80% success rate they would get $10,000 (now the prize is over $1,000,000). All the dowsers failed the test, though each claimed to be highly successful in finding water using a variety of non-scientific instruments, including a pendulum. Says Randi, "the sad fact is that dowsers are no better at finding water than anyone else. Drill a well almost anywhere in an area where water is geologically possible, and you will find it."
dowsing (a.k.a. water witching) - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com

I remember seeing some testing done in Australia many years ago where a large cash prize was available for proof that this worked and none that tried could even get close to winning the prize (ie pipes underground running water and changed etc

Even on this show we saw Dan Blankenship say there were tunnels somewhere and when they dug there were no tunnels.

Why don't they use that electric pulse thing they we using the other show (Where they were looking for gold) that is proven technology to test for underground caverns/tunnels.

divining rods as a way of finding anything appear to be just blind luck...

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Season "3" of Curse of Oak Island

Hiring a dowser might seem reasonable to a) the uninformed, b) can't afford a geologist

Whatever happened with that Nolan's Cross story angle ? Or is it true that "Nolan" himself later admitted to moving boulders around to "support" his ancient cross story ?

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hiring a dowser might seem reasonable to a) the uninformed, b) can't afford a geologist

Whatever happened with that Nolan's Cross story angle ? Or is it true that "Nolan" himself later admitted to moving boulders around to "support" his ancient cross story ?

they still mention the Nolan's Cross thingy occasionally :tongue3:
but
Like you mentioned, Boulders can also be moved to convince others to contribute.

seriously though I hope they don't give up on the Pirate Theories.
they have the heavy equipment , I say start digging the areas that weren't touched in the past.

digging Privy pits would be more Productive.
that is as long as they don't imagine Magic boxes & water traps in them :tongue3:

Last edited:

NostraDanis

Feb 16, 2014
The Bluegrass
Primary Interest:
Other
I think Ryano brings up a good point; what about ol' Fred Nolan? He's been on that island a looong time. I think it would be very interesting to know his opinions, etc, unfortunately, it seems the Nolan/Blankenship War is still being waged. I heard from the researchers on Astonishing Legends podcast series that the Laginas are actively trying to engage Nolan and get him involved with their work. That would be quite the accomplishment, and may prove very interesting.

Speaking of that podcast, I highly recommend it to anyone who can invest the time to listen to it. It is the most exhaustive, and thorough presentation of the history of the money pit that I've ever heard. It takes an in-depth look at just about every theory and facet of the legend and discusses the known, provable facts vs the lore. I found it to be much more credible than most of the "research" that can be found linked here and in other places regarding O.I. And, it's presented in an entertaining way.
Additionally, the podcast spends time discussion how "confirmation bias" can poison research and discussion of topics like Oak Island. I think we see a massive amount of that around here at times; not to mention all-out agenda-based posting.

Anyhow, I would love to hear what Fred Nolan knows, and if anyone is interested, check out the Money Pit series on the Astonishing Legends podcasts.

petetherocker

Jan 20, 2015
Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The show's producers hint that any/all tunnels they find are immediately attributed to the supposed "treasure trove" and never mention that it could be attributed to the 1,100+ tonnes of iron pyrite that Martin Frobisher mined beneath OI:BangHead:

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The show's producers hint that any/all tunnels they find are immediately attributed to the supposed "treasure trove" and never mention that it could be attributed to the 1,100+ tonnes of iron pyrite that Martin Frobisher mined beneath OI:BangHead:

Martin Frobisher never mined on Oak Island!

Cheers, Loki

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Press Release
Nativo Wins Gold for Best Use of Native Advertising at the Industry's Renowned Pearl Awards Gala in NYC

LOS ANGELES, CA--(Marketwired - Nov 30, 2015) - Nativo, the leading native advertising platform, received top honors by The Content Council with a Gold award for Best Use of Native Advertising at the annual Pearl Awards in New York City. Nativo was the only technology solutions provider recognized among The Pearl Awards' brand and publisher winners. This award recognizes Nativo's collaboration with Horizon Media and HISTORY Channel for their engaging branded content campaign for the reality series The Curse of Oak Island.

"I'm very proud of the innovation we've achieved together with Horizon Media and HISTORY, and being recognized by The Content Council," said Justin Choi, CEO at Nativo. "Nativo remains dedicated to enabling both brands and publishers to create engaging, non-interruptive user experiences. Our work with HISTORY represents a perfect example of how true native advertising can serve to align brand goals with user experience, while delivering value to loyal consumers."

Nativo's platform enabled HISTORY to scale The Curse of Oak Island's true native campaign. With this campaign, HISTORY delivered fully integrated brand content experiences within each of their publisher partner's organic content environment, and leveraged Nativo's real-time dynamic optimization technology to reach the most receptive audiences with the right creative assets. As a result, HISTORY achieved an overall campaign click-through rate of 59% over benchmark, and average time spent on content 44% over benchmark.

The Pearl Awards celebrate the best in content marketing from around the world. Winners were picked from nearly 500 entries from leading brands, publishers and agencies. Experts judged entries simultaneously in five different locations on overall effectiveness, creativity, visual captivation, and more.

"The array of submissions we received this year made the judging process difficult," said Andy Seibert, Chairman of The Content Council and Managing Partner of Imprint. "This year's nominees encapsulated the evolution of the content marketing industry, putting forward campaigns that exemplify strategic innovation and adept execution."

For more information about The Content Council and the Pearl Awards, visit Pearl Awards 2015.

About Nativo
Nativo is the leading advertising technology platform for brand advertisers and publishers to scale, automate, and measure native ads. For brands, Nativo is the ultimate content marketing platform that delivers native content with unparalleled reach, engagement, and intelligence. For media companies, Nativo provides a complete native ad solution that makes it easier to sell, deploy, and optimize native ads across sites and across screens. Nativo combines a dynamic content management system with advanced content ad serving capabilities, allowing publishers to create, manage, and monetize truly native executions without compromising their users' experience. More than 400 brands and 400 publishers leverage Nativo's platform to power their next-generation digital advertising. Learn more at Nativo: Scalable and automated native advertising platform.

About The Content Council
The Content Council is the premier, non-profit organization representing content marketers globally as the definitive resource for content marketing insights and thought leadership; it is focused on promoting the growth and vitality of this dynamic marketing discipline. The Content Council is also an excellent resource for connecting brand marketers with the best content agency to meet their specific needs. Through creativity and strategy, its members build content programs that deliver results. For more information, please visit: Home

Media Contact
Nikki Reyes
WIT Strategy for Nativo
(408) 499-0033
[email protected]

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is tonight the night the brothers find all the treasures, so we can watch other TV shows? I hope so.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is tonight the night the brothers find all the treasures, so we can watch other TV shows? I hope so.

My prediction tonight is all about a different spot on the island they haven't touched till now.
so when the season ends there are just more Questions

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Nativo's platform enabled HISTORY to scale The Curse of Oak Island's true native campaign. With this campaign, HISTORY delivered fully integrated brand content experiences within each of their publisher partner's organic content environment, and leveraged Nativo's real-time dynamic optimization technology to reach the most receptive audiences with the right creative assets.

I'm unfortunately passingly familiar with buzz words, but this paragraph went right over my head. Does anyone here know what in the hell this even means?

Apologies for the slight detour, but this stuff just makes my head hurt.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do believe in the story, while there is treasures deep down, I do not believe the brothers will bring any up. Good digging and good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm unfortunately passingly familiar with buzz words, but this paragraph went right over my head. Does anyone here know what in the hell this even means?

Apologies for the slight detour, but this stuff just makes my head hurt.

Hi Dave,
It appears in a "Nut Shell" that the History Channel has procured the advertising services of Native to promote their series "The Curse of Oak Island".

Here is a small recap of how they are using this service to increase their ratings.

It must be working as this "Series" is now in their "Top Ten" view list.

Horizon devised a plan to promote the second season of The History Channel’s reality series, “The Curse of Oak Island,” that involved creating content to be distributed across Nativo’s publisher network, including sites like Perez Hilton, the Examiner and IFL Science. The campaign ran from October to February, both in the lead up to the premiere and throughout the season.

By using the publisher network, Horizon could distribute its content widely without countless man hours devoted to optimization. Because the campaign was native, Horizon expected higher engagement – and the campaign delivered.

“The time spent on content averaged over two minutes, when a pre-roll spot is 15 or 30 seconds,” Hadari said. “That was a strong consumer connection, and that engagement metric was most meaningful for us.”

The content also boasted a click-through rate of 1.99%.

History Channel Taps Native For ?Curse Of Oak Island? Tune-In Campaign | AdExchanger

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well it looks to me like season 3 will start with discussion on them continuing to try and find a diver :laughing7:
by the time they find someone suicidal enough to make the dive,
they could have dug trench down.

as for the boulder they wasted time going to see.
I'll guess there is someone Laughing Hysterically because they carved it back in the 70's . looks like they tried to add a pot leaf and it is being mistaken for tobacco leaves.
the cross is definitely not templar (lopsided iron cross ?) but like Wolter.
he isn't going to believe that. even so... what did that have to do with Oak Island ?

hunting Hitler is slowly getting to be more interesting .
and has more potential to make sense .

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions