Not possible digging that deep.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Sea level has gone up about a foot or less since 1700, depending on which source one cites.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That would last have been in the Pleistocene - 12,000 to 110,000 years ago when the glaciers tied up sufficient water that the land was further below current sea level.

Trouble is there would have been a mile of ice over Nova Scotia at that time. When it receeded it likely dug the sink-holes that are under that part of Canada.

Last edited:

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there's a lot of things they did back then we cant do now--- just look at a lot of the ancient structures around world, the pyramids for example. They did more years ago than we do now.
=======================================================
Baalbek, Puma Punku, Malta, Nan Madol, Golbeke Tepe ,,,,,,,,
To name only the most well known.
Siberia, in the Urals, there are countless "constructions" of size that cannot be duplicated as well.
Yep,,, We are/were not even close to being at the "pinnacle" of anything.

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nah.. That might be what Von Daniken says but we've figured out and reproduced most of the ancient engineering works using contemporary tools.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With enough forced labor they could have easily dug the money pit and everything else. It's not like anyone says 5 guys did all in a weekend. May have taken weeks or months to do but "could" have been done with a couple hundred people working in the different areas.. There is the theory that the dead were buried on an island close by.. Did anyone notice when Mrs. Restall was on the show a year or two ago and they showed them looking out from I think it was the swamp area to the next island over, there is a pretty big difference in distance from the pic in 1965 to current.. ( whick means the land they would standing on has moved/changed quite a bit in just 50 years ) Just last week on the show they said the water level/ tide line was probably/maybe 2-3 meters lower a couple 100 years ago.. I'm not sure anything is still there but I do believe there was something going on there years ago.. Heck may have just been a party island for all I know as the ships came by!!!

OP
OP
R

Rock22

Sep 9, 2013
Erie Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to enjoy this show once again but week after week it lets me down. I really like the brothers but the look on their faces when they saw circular saw marks on that wood that was pulled up by that pac-man thing was priceless. They are finding more stuff like we do with that metal detector on the other side of the island. It's time to give up! Oh wait... The swamp! Here we go again. I will keep watching.

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course they could dig that deep...the platforms found every ten feet are structural bracing to keep the walls from collapsing, plus could be used for a bucket brigade to stand on to take out the spoils, much faster than hauling a couple of bucket fulls up that far with a rope... as long as they pumped air to the diggers, digging ten feet down or 300 would be no different except for the climb in and out .

The question is 'why' anyone would choose to dig that deep unless they are after something, minerals, etc. To dig that deep to simply bury anything from being found is a little far fetched

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still waiting for absolute proof of any tunnels on oak island. Why has no one dug to prove/disprove the existence of the supposed man made flood tunnels running from the cove?

They are digging hundreds of feet into an island that is maybe 50' above sea level. Flood tunnel booby traps are not required.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course they could dig that deep...the platforms found every ten feet are structural bracing to keep the walls from collapsing, plus could be used for a bucket brigade to stand on to take out the spoils, much faster than hauling a couple of bucket fulls up that far with a rope... as long as they pumped air to the diggers, digging ten feet down or 300 would be no different except for the climb in and out .

The question is 'why' anyone would choose to dig that deep unless they are after something, minerals, etc. To dig that deep to simply bury anything from being found is a little far fetched

Keep in mind that no evidence ever existed as to the presence of platforms every 10 feet. The platforms only existed in stories that companies working at the site put out in an attempt to get more investors to give them money....

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are digging hundreds of feet into an island that is maybe 50' above sea level. Flood tunnel booby traps are not required.

+10....along with the natural below ground caverns, its not rocket science as to why the holes flood...

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read about the Oak Island Money pit for many, many, years and was hoping that it was real. In looking at all of the actual evidence produced/not produced in the last few years as well as the history channel show, I've come to the conclusion that many others have arrived at over the years. The Oak Island Money Pit is and has always been a hoax.

For those who still believe something is there, good luck.

I will continue asking the hard questions as well as requiring empirical evidence before just buying into someone's "researched story", "rocks found with Templar symbols indicate the money pit is real", etc.

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind that no evidence ever existed as to the presence of platforms every 10 feet. The platforms only existed in stories that companies working at the site put out in an attempt to get more investors to give them money....

I agree, I was only giving an answer into 'how' anyone could dig that deep and what role platforms would play...a method...not subscribing to any unfounded 'evidence' that there actually were timber platforms at the money pit

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
My...My...You Youngsters Have Forgotten...What Two Men With A Shovel Can Do!

I've read about the Oak Island Money pit for many, many, years and was hoping that it was real. In looking at all of the actual evidence produced/not produced in the last few years as well as the history channel show, I've come to the conclusion that many others have arrived at over the years. The Oak Island Money Pit is and has always been a hoax.

For those who still believe something is there, good luck.

I will continue asking the hard questions as well as requiring empirical evidence before just buying into someone's "researched story", "rocks found with Templar symbols indicate the money pit is real", etc.

My Grandparents and Many Settlers on the Canadian Prairies could dig a 100 foot water well in a week with nothing less than a Pick and Shovel!

deep water well.jpg

My Post # 11 to this thread shows that the Cornish Miners of this era would have had no problem doing the "Tunneling Described"!

Never Say Never...To a Cornish Tin Miner!

Cornish Tin Miner.jpg Cornish Tin Miner.jpg

Last edited:

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that is the true answer to any "pit" that was there, is that it was a tin mine or exploratory shaft looking for tin...Since NS has other tin mines, it makes it more plausible that this shaft and any adjacent tunnels were also one rather than a treasure hideout that has never produced any proof of real treasure.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
So the Shaft Was Just a "Tin Can"?

I think that is the true answer to any "pit" that was there, is that it was a tin mine or exploratory shaft looking for tin...Since NS has other tin mines, it makes it more plausible that this shaft and any adjacent tunnels were also one rather than a treasure hideout that has never produced any proof of real treasure.

There has never been...One Ounce of Tin...Found on "Oak Island".

Tin Can.png

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Grandparents and Many Settlers on the Canadian Prairies could dig a 100 foot water well in a week with nothing less than a Pick and Shovel!

There is a difference between digging in the soil of the prairies, where you could dig 100' without hitting one rock, and digging in the glacial till and bedrock of NS.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread