Not possible digging that deep.

Rock22

Sep 9, 2013
Erie Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the show but... It is NEVER talked about how these people of long ago might have dug such deep holes! They have millions of dollars in digging equipment today and high tech stuff but struggle to get down there. I laugh every time they talk about boobie traps with sea water flowing in to stop them. They are nuts! I do believe there might be some treasure there on the island but these guys are beyond dreamers. We all fantasize about finding amazing stuff, it keeps us interested in this hobby but I almost feel bad for them. Lots of lost sleep I would bet. The treasure that may be there is most likely small and buried about 10 feet down. If someone out there can explain the digging process of ancient people please help me understand this.

Thanks, Rock

fishnnut

Jan 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have wondered the same thing...They never bring this up.. The show has been interesting but starting to think it's all a fairy tale anymore. Like you say how the hell would these people have dug down 100 or 200 feet or more back in the day when they are having a hell of a time even with modern high tech equipment? I am sure the topography probably was a bit different back then but I don't think 200 feet of topsoil would have been gained even after this many years..Be great if they could find something but starting to think it's a dead end...Makes for a good suspense thriller though. LOL

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the two comments. I believe the story and the pirates dug tunnels so others can not dig it up. Wait until next week.

OP
OP
R

Rock22

Sep 9, 2013
Erie Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a hard time digging a hole in my yard trying to plant a new shrub. There would have been some sort of left over dirt that would have been piled somewhere. Think about when we dig a small hole to get a coin out. There is a lot of packed dirt in there! Sometimes it is tough to get it all back in level without stomping on the filled in hole. I will keep watching the show but I am loosing more and more interest every week.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There might have been. That whole island has been tossed multiple times since the Civil War era. One guy (Dunfield) took it down 230 ft with heavy equipment. Very likely NOTHING on the surface hasn't been disturbed . . . repeatedly. That's why they don't know the location of the pit itself and keep playing in one of the wells dug in the 70's. The Laganis Brothers have shown up with a knife to a gunfight that happened decades ago.

oakisland.jpg

buc1.jpg

Last edited:

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Hmm, hanging out on this post out in the field gives you a lot of time to ponder things. Like when the boys found the depression in the ground under the tree with signs of a block and tackle having been attached. Was it used to install or remove something? Was it bare dirt from digging, or grown over from happening so long ago?

And later now, after what a couple hundred years of folks digging up the place, ending up with heavy equipment obliterating any landmarks or other type of signs, how the heck do these guys have any idea where something might have been?
They seem to be more inclined to be digging up stuff left over from the previous diggers then actually finding anything. The way they bounce from place to place it's like they have no clue as to where to look. It's what ever this weeks episode's "expert" tells them to look at.

Honestly, what might have been is probably lost to the ages, unless something is found due to pure dumb luck.

As for the show, as long as the History channel is making money on this and folks keep watching, they'll foot the bill and ride this horse to the ground.

Had to add this, I rate this adventure right up there with the Bigfoot show. Those folks don't have a clue as to what it would take to track/ hunt something.
Wondering willy nilly, crashing through the woods at night, talking to each other, with their night vision cameras, and film crew. Try shutting up and sitting still for once and you'll have a better chance of seeing something out there, be it animal or human. :tongue3::tongue3:

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rock22

Sep 9, 2013
Erie Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not realize that island had been that beaten up. No chance!

fishnnut

Jan 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just sitting here thinking about another possible theory here and ya know they now have been looking for Hilter in Argentina and spain and maybe here all along he ended up having all his loot in the money pit and died trying to get to the bottom and therefore that's why there is a supposed body down there and could answer where the all the supposed treasures came from? This could clear up a lot of things:laughing...Now it all makes sense...:laughing7:

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's see....all the speculation that the "vault" was at 140 feet but yet previous hunters went down to 230 feet and found nothing (or did and secreted their find away). Why waste anymore time or money?

oldsmith

Mar 13, 2014
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold, Garrett propointer, teknetics t2 se, tessoro sand shark,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to mention the tremendous amount of manpower too undertake diggin the tunnel systems. With what, shovells and buckets? How many men would have been needed to do this, were they slaves? If so, were they killed after the project was completed? I'd expect that they would have found a pile of bones somewhere nearby. Too many questions not enough answers. Love the story and have since I was a young boy, but this is getting old fast.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Never say Never...To a Cornish Tin Miner!

the-memorial-statue-to-tin-miners-at-redruth-in-cornwall-uk-d8k528.jpg

It has been stated that the "Tunneling" on Oak Island could not have been done.

That it would take too many men, time and obstacles to build what has been presented.

The Money Pit, Water Tunnels, and Treasure Vault on Oak Island were nothing new to the Miners from Cornwall used by the Freemason Admiralty.

The "Treasure" plundered from Fort Morro, Havana and I believe placed on Oak Island was sacked from the Fort in one week, by tunneling from the shore up under Spain's fortifications by these miners.

Many a mine in Cornwall was deeper, harder and fraught with more danger than that on Oak Island, all it took were men of brawn and the will to accomplish it.

drawingofminelayoutbig.jpg

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still waiting for absolute proof of any tunnels on oak island. Why has no one dug to prove/disprove the existence of the supposed man made flood tunnels running from the cove?

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the story, and hope something is found, but something that has always bothered me, is why was the block and tackle left hanging over the depression?

If you go to all the work to hide a treasure, why would you leave such an obvious sign??

Even if only a limb with grooves was found, why not cut it off, hide the evidence? If you can dig over 100' deep with hand tools, I'm sure you could rig up a head frame for recovery.

It has always sounded somewhat like a mine to me, with platforms at 10'.:dontknow:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I love the story, and hope something is found, but something that has always bothered me, is why was the block and tackle left hanging over the depression?

If you go to all the work to hide a treasure, why would you leave such an obvious sign??

Even if only a limb with grooves was found, why not cut it off, hide the evidence? If you can dig over 100' deep with hand tools, I'm sure you could rig up a head frame for recovery.

It has always sounded somewhat like a mine to me, with platforms at 10'.:dontknow:

The most likely answer to those obvious questions is uncomfortable for the true believers: the discovery story was fabricated from the beginning. There was no block and tackle above a depression. Yeah, it's a great story, but unfortunately most likely nothing more than a treasure hunting investment scam.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They can't do it now and there's no way on God's green earth they did it several hundred yrs ago.
Even if they had the "Professor from Gilligan's Island" they couldn't have done it waaay back then.:laughing7:

Last edited:

D.C.

Greenie
Mar 3, 2015
Detector(s) used
mxt 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They can't do it now and there's no way on God's green earth they did it several hundred yrs ago.
Even if they had the "Professor from Gilligan's Island" they couldn't have done it waaay back then.:laughing7:

there's a lot of things they did back then we cant do now--- just look at a lot of the ancient structures around world, the pyramids for example. They did more years ago than we do now.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
there's a lot of things they did back then we cant do now--- just look at a lot of the ancient structures around world, the pyramids for example. They did more years ago than we do now.

What part of the pyramids can't be done today?

iMatt25

Greenie
Nov 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if they had the "Professor from Gilligan's Island" they couldn't have done it waaay back then.

That cracked me up!

I too have been skeptical of anyone at any time digging that deep to bury something. Then I heard this theory (which I posted in the show thread as well): If sea level has been rising over the years, is it possible that at some point in the past---when the water level was 150-250 feet lower than it is today---that someone dug horizontal tunnels from the shore to the area under the Money Pit? Those tunnels might appear to be booby-traps/water traps to the modern digger assuming the entrance was from the top of the chamber.

A find on the last episode caused my eyebrow to raise regarding this theory: the stone triangle on another stone triangle under the water. If that is a man-made marker, that looks way too big to have been constructed under water. If it was built on dry ground, how many centuries ago would that have been possible? That bathymetric scan of the waters off Oak Island was really fascinating. What was the shape of the island and what was sea level 500 years ago? 1000 years ago?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread