OP
OP
TheCoinKid

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems like the Oak Island forum contributors, as a whole, are long on theories and short on facts. Guess that's why they're called theories. What about written accounts of pre-search activities on the island? Anything in that arena that approaches hard evidence supporting the existence of treasure?

Regards,

TCK

Last edited:

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
Seems like the Oak Island forum contributors, as a whole, are long on theories and short on facts. Guess that's why they're called theories. What about written accounts of pre-search activities on the island? Anything in that arena that approaches hard evidence supporting the existence of treasure?

Regards,

TCK

The only thing that I would trust as fact when it come to "Oak Island" is the carbon dating of the coconut fibers and the north African oak trees. The African Oak Trees on that island is very significant because they would have stuck out among the North American Oaks. I believe that they were chosen because of their height, and uniqueness making that island "Stick Out" as it were. Those trees wouldn't be so hard to see from a ship.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Lokie, just what facts can there be? A block & tckle found hanging over what apppeared to be an xcavation. the rest is modern venture.

I believe the whole story starting with the block & tackle and the boys dug under it. The brothers will dig only water, and not dug up the treasures below. Good luck and good hunting.

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The African Oak Trees on that island is very significant because they would have stuck out among the North American Oaks. I believe that they were chosen because of their height, and uniqueness making that island "Stick Out" as it were. Those trees wouldn't be so hard to see from a ship.

What is your source for the existence of these African oak trees?

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
This was take from a UK Oak Island Treasure forum

"The reason the island was called Oak Island rather than it's first name, island number 28 or Gloucester Island or Smith's Island, is because of it's grove of unusual looking Oaks on the eastern end. The name it carries now came about prior to 1790, or so the story goes. Many of the islands have Oaks on them, but OI is the one with the tall spindly looking ones. Sources inform that the last of them were gone in the 60's after a Black Ant assault on the remaining trees.

When I worked there, in the early 70's, none remained standing. There are Oaks on OI that are in the neighbourhood of 200 years old, I have seen them and taken photos of them too, but they are typical of the Oaks that grow around here. None on the island have the high umbrella like canopy seen in the early photographs. "

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Just the Facts...Ma'am!

As a Detective like "Joe Friday" one must be willing to look at all the facts with an "Open Mind"!

joe_friday.jpg

Dragnet was an American radio, television and motion picture series, enacting the cases of a dedicated Los Angeles police detective, Sergeant Joe Friday, and his partners. The show takes its name from the police term "dragnet", meaning a system of coordinated measures for apprehending criminals or suspects.

Oak Island has produced 100's of facts of evidence which support that something very "Unusual" happened on this island.

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
The claim was made that these were African oak trees. As a professional forester, I'd be interested in verifying this. The idea that an oak species from Africa growing that vigorously on an island in the North Atlantic seems odd to me.

Why would it be odd?...I mean beside the fact that it's not an indigenous specie to this part of the world. Whose to say that a specie of tree that is able to exist in a harsh environment would not thrive in that environment. My bigger question is can anyone verify the specie of tree from those pictures. I am not a Botanist so I have no idea, but someone thought they were "Some kind of Oak".

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
Not that I read too much into anything, it is good to know symbolism...

"Fruit-bearing trees are symbols of physical and spiritual nourishment and fertility. They have been central to religion and culture dating back to the biblical reference of Adam and Eve and the "tree of life." While the symbolism associated with pear trees varies slightly from culture to culture, in some form, it invariably stands for life and longevity."

"Because it can produce fruits for decades, the pear tree also represents longevity and comfort. In Christianity, the pear tree frequently appears in connection with Jesus Christ and alludes to His love for mankind. It epitomizes the Christian promise of salvation and eternal life. Similarly, the ancient Chinese believed that the pear tree was a symbol of immortality. The destruction of a pear tree, in turn, symbolized tragic, unexpected death."

"Pears are considered a sacred fruit, most commonly linked to three goddesses in Greek and Roman mythology: Hera, Aphrodite and Pomona. The three goddesses are all notable for their affinity to the gardens and harvest time. Homer, the classic Greek poet, referred to the pear as a "gift from the gods."

So is it not believed that some of the gifts from God lie on that island....Just Fruit for thought....

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would it be odd?...I mean beside the fact that it's not an indigenous specie to this part of the world. Whose to say that a specie of tree that is able to exist in a harsh environment would not thrive in that environment. My bigger question is can anyone verify the specie of tree from those pictures. I am not a Botanist so I have no idea, but someone thought they were "Some kind of Oak".

It would be odd because a tree that evolved to grow in the conditions found in Africa (a hot, dry climate) would be ill suited to grow in Nova Scotia (a wet, cold climate). For the sake of argument, let's say that these are African oaks on Oak Island --- and I don't believe for a minute that they are. The trees in the photo you linked to have grown quite well on an island that is close to the mainland. Oak being a tree species that germinates its seed easily ... why wouldn't there be African oaks growing on mainland Nova Scotia? Acorns would easily spread off the island, floating on the tide, carried by birds and animals, etc... Hundreds of years after the Templars or Vikings or aliens or whomever planted these trees on Oak island, there would be a population of these trees on the mainland... and there is not. Were there any samples taken of the wood of these African oak that can be examined? Even in the 1960's when, as you claim, these African oak were still on the island, the existence of hundreds of year old oak trees of a species only found on the other side of the world would have been noted.... but there is nothing mentioned anywhere.

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
It would be odd because a tree that evolved to grow in the conditions found in Africa (a hot, dry climate) would be ill suited to grow in Nova Scotia (a wet, cold climate). For the sake of argument, let's say that these are African oaks on Oak Island --- and I don't believe for a minute that they are. The trees in the photo you linked to have grown quite well on an island that is close to the mainland. Oak being a tree species that germinates its seed easily ... why wouldn't there be African oaks growing on mainland Nova Scotia? Acorns would easily spread off the island, floating on the tide, carried by birds and animals, etc... Hundreds of years after the Templars or Vikings or aliens or whomever planted these trees on Oak island, there would be a population of these trees on the mainland... and there is not. Were there any samples taken of the wood of these African oak that can be examined? Even in the 1960's when, as you claim, these African oak were still on the island, the existence of hundreds of year old oak trees of a species only found on the other side of the world would have been noted.... but there is nothing mentioned anywhere.

Hold on a minute....The "Idea" of them being "Oaks" were place on observations of pre-1790 AD. If you had read down a little you would have noticed what I believed them to be which is the "Pearwood Tree". As for the early occupants of that area, they would have based there observations on what they knew and that I'm sure was limited. Now granted the only thing I "Claim" is that there was a "NON-Indigenous" specie of "Tree" that was on Oak Island and no where else around Nova Scotia. Now as for a botanical expedition to a "Private Island" with rumored treasures somewhere on that island, I don't believe that they were to concerned on what type of tree they had. If anything, the trees were probably in their way. The photo has been confirmed by many to be "Smiths cove" and the photo would be of the "Peninsula" or what they refer to today as the "Elephants Trunk". That is where the "tree's" were planted and the other tree's on that "Peninsula" would have been cut down as to ensure ample sunlight and nutrients. You talk of them noticing these tree's, they have just noticed the "Stone Carvings" in Overton and on the south end of Mahone Bay on the second peninsula. They moved the stone markers on Oak Island without so much as a question of why they were there. According to the Nova Scotia Forestry Association who were not formed until the early 1940's, and according to the article, the last couple of tree were destroyed by "Black Ants" in the early 60's so really, there was only a 20 year window. Don't dismiss stuff so quickly, look at every angle....I'm just saying.....

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for the early occupants of that area, they would have based there observations on what they knew and that I'm sure was limited.

They may not have been botanists, but farmers, fishers, woodsmen and shipbuilders would certainly be able to differentiate an oak tree from a pear tree. Hence "Oak Island" and not "Pear Island". I can't see anyone confusing a pear with an acorn.

According to the Nova Scotia Forestry Association who were not formed until the early 1940's, and according to the article, the last couple of tree were destroyed by "Black Ants" in the early 60's so really, there was only a 20 year window.

There are three universities in NS which were established in the 1800's, in addition to UNB in Fredericton, NB which was established in 1785. Were there these non-native trees growing in this populated area of the province, there would be some academic record of it.

Now granted the only thing I "Claim" is that there was a "NON-Indigenous" specie of "Tree" that was on Oak Island and no where else around Nova Scotia.

Any tree species capable of thriving on Oak Island would have spread to the mainland in the hundreds of years between the original individuals being planted by whomever, and the last couple being destroyed by 'black ants' in the 1960's. There is not. Just look at the black locust. It is a tree that was brought to NS in the mid-1700's by the New England Planters following the ethnic cleansing of the Acadiens. Trees were planted in farm yards, and now there are small stands of these locusts right through the province. Or apple trees. They were brought to the area by the first settlers, and now I see them in the middle of the woods, miles from the nearest settlement.

They moved the stone markers on Oak Island without so much as a question of why they were there.

Dismissing and disrespecting First Nations petroglyphs has been an issue since day one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread