Oak Island Artifacts: Just the Facts

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been interested in Oak Island pretty much my entire life, and have been watching the History Channel show from the beginning (I have the same opinion of many on this forum: Much fluff and filler, far too little substance).

Given that, I'm interested to learn/compile a list of pre-search era (1795 and back) evidence/artifacts found on the island that is/are known to exist today, and which is generally viewed as credible. I.e., what tangible/touchable proof do we have today that MIGHT support the assertion of treasure on the island?

To my knowledge, we have:

1. Parchment paper fragment pulled up by Chappell on a drill bit in 1897,

2. Spanish scissors dated to the 1600's,

3. A shoe with wood pegs dated to around 1700,

4. Chain link fragments, with a metal content tested to be of pre-1750 origin (not referring to the rumored gold links),

5. A 1600s 8 Maradevis Spanish coin found by the Brothers,

6. Coconut fiber dating to the 1300's,

7. The oak trees, themselves, which are not indigenous to the area.

Anyone have more to add?

The above list suggests 1700s and prior European activity on the island, but doesn't really tell a treasure tale. The smoking guns, such as the 90 foot stone and the gold chain links, I guess have have been lost to history, if they ever existed at all. The Nolan's cross stones and the various triangle stones don't really do much for me. The offshore Roman sword find, in my opinion, is dubious at best. Most of the other finds appear to be early evidence of the hunt, itself.

Basically looking for physical facts supporting the Oak Island treasure story (or, should I say, the Oak Island treasure story du jour).

TCK

Last edited:

AOTC

Greenie
Jul 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2/3 boatswains whistles made of bone or ivory found in Smith's Cove(undated),I steel rule(Smith's Cove)from 10X Steel chain dated 1700s,Swedish make/slivers of brass/timber dated mid 1500s,that's all I can think of at the moment

celtic fox

Nov 8, 2015
surrey uk
Detector(s) used
ctx3030 , deus lite , garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wonder will they ever work out what is or isnt there

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why do you think Oak Trees are not indigenous to Nova Scotia (or Canada)? What kind is there on Oak Island that isn't on the surrounding islands and mainland?

The carbon dating of the coconut was not handled correctly. A loose sample was presented to a lab. There was no control over the chain of custody from the site to the lab and it was a single sample taken from an undisclosed position (as claimed) from the site. Was it exposed to seawater/sunlight or other conditions that skew radiocarbon dating? Proper testing would involve the lab representative collecting multiple samples from the site in sterile containers.

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Why do you think Oak Trees are not indigenous to Nova Scotia (or Canada)? What kind is there on Oak Island that isn't on the surrounding islands and mainland?

The carbon dating of the coconut was not handled correctly. A loose sample was presented to a lab. There was no control over the chain of custody from the site to the lab and it was a single sample taken from an undisclosed position (as claimed) from the site. Was it exposed to seawater/sunlight or other conditions that skew radiocarbon dating? Proper testing would involve the lab representative collecting multiple samples from the site in sterile containers.

There were three different identifications and datings of the coconut fibre, which one are you referring to? Seawater or sunlight do not have a significant effect on the process , at least not to take it out of the ballpark. When it is submerged to a significant depth it can than be effected by seawater. The test that was mentioned here earlier was done by Woods Hole and although they were led to the sample they tested it correctly.
It was insinuated that someone planted the sample, IMHO it does not seem possible that a sample of coconut fibre 700 years old was found by somebody to mislead. This at a time when nobody even knew of a Knights Templar theory concerning Oak Island, IMHO, of course?
Cheers, Loki

Last edited:

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

====================================================
The "OAK" trees that were on the island were apparently of the North African species. With umbrellas at the top of the canopy versus a "wide" canopy up the entire length of the trunk.
And I quote
why are oak trees on oak island? | History Heretic - Hutton Pulitzer
"Using a dendrological database of visual inspection of species of oak trees around the globe one finds something interesting. The type of Oak which is depicted in the OakIslandSociety.org Archives shows what seems to be a specific specie of AFRICAN OAK. Further, this African Oak has over twice the utensil strength and load bearing nature of any other oak on the planet (great to build ships with and maybe shore up mine workings?) AND it grows long from it’s base to its upper branching making for very linear usable lumber AND they grow to TOWER over all the native trees and can BE SEEN FROM MILES AWAY (we have always said the oak trees on Oak Island were navigational markers meant to be seen from a distance). WOW, look what happened changing the “period” on “Oak Island has Oaks” to “What was so special about Oak Island’s oaks?”

OP
OP
TheCoinKid

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other

Re: The oak trees not being indigenous to the island. This is an assertion made on the show and many other sites. I listed it because it appears to be a generally accepted fact. I have no personal opinion on the validity of the assertion.

Re: Coconut fibers. Listed because it is a tangible, presently existing relic, which the show asserts to date back 700 years. Again, I have no personal opinion on the topic, or relevance to the search.

I am attempting to learn/compile a list of hard evidence/relics that is/are known to exist today. Evidence that has some archeological/scientific backing and MIGHT support treasure activity on the island. Not interested in theories or the esoteric.

Notwithstanding the above, I believe opinions on artifacts or other hard evidence is meaningful to the discussion.

In a nutshell, I haven't seen anything tangible that persuades me that treasure exists, or once existed, on the island. Word of mouth or stories by old men (and I'm not a young man myself) don't do it for me.

Thanks,

TCK

OP
OP
TheCoinKid

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
2/3 boatswains whistles made of bone or ivory found in Smith's Cove(undated),I steel rule(Smith's Cove)from 10X Steel chain dated 1700s,Swedish make/slivers of brass/timber dated mid 1500s,that's all I can think of at the moment

The 1700s steel chain is likely my list item No. 4, the rest are new to me. Are all of these presently accounted for? Thanks

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your link is regarding the "foreign" oak theory presented by Jeffry Hutton Jovan Pulitzer Philyaw? Please. Discredited many times over. He's the guy that produced the bogus Roman Sword purchased off the Italian ebaY.

Saltwater does mess up Carbon 14. That's why fish bones can't be dated using Carbon 14. The accumulation and decay statistics are based on the level in the atmosphere. Immersion in seawater changes the outcome because ther levels are different from the baseline startsitcs used in dating.

Here is a report on the "Reservoir Effect" and why Carbon 14 is a poor choice for the marine environment. I realize they are not in the same level of expertiese as Pulitzer/Philyaw (HAHAHAHAHAHA!) Never trust a bozo who wears a baret that either isn't French or currently active in the special forces. ;-)

http://www.radiocarbon.com/marine-reservoir-effect.htm

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: The oak trees not being indigenous to the island. This is an assertion made on the show and many other sites. I listed it because it appears to be a generally accepted fact. I have no personal opinion on the validity of the assertion.

Re: Coconut fibers. Listed because it is a tangible, presently existing relic, which the show asserts to date back 700 years. Again, I have no personal opinion on the topic, or relevance to the search.

I am attempting to learn/compile a list of hard evidence/relics that is/are known to exist today. Evidence that has some archeological/scientific backing and MIGHT support treasure activity on the island. Not interested in theories or the esoteric.

Notwithstanding the above, I believe opinions on artifacts or other hard evidence is meaningful to the discussion.

In a nutshell, I haven't seen anything tangible that persuades me that treasure exists, or once existed, on the island. Word of mouth or stories by old men (and I'm not a young man myself) don't do it for me.

Thanks,

TCK
==================================
Your link is regarding the "foreign" oak theory presented by Jeffry Hutton Jovan Pulitzer Philyaw? Please. Discredited many times over. He's the guy that produced the bogus Roman Sword purchased off the Italian ebaY.

Saltwater does mess up Carbon 14. That's why fish bones can't be dated using Carbon 14. The accumulation and decay statistics are based on the level in the atmosphere. Immersion in seawater changes the outcome because ther levels are different from the baseline startsitcs used in dating.

Here is a report on the "Reservoir Effect" and why Carbon 14 is a poor choice for the marine environment. I realize they are not in the same level of expertiese as Pulitzer/Philyaw (HAHAHAHAHAHA!) Never trust a bozo who wears a baret that either isn't French or currently active in the special forces. ;-)

Marine Radiocarbon Reservoir Effect, AMS Dating - Beta Analytic
===========================================================
After a deeper inspection of old photos from Oak Island I MUST CONCUR with you Charlie.
I made an error I believe.
This picture of Smiths Cove circa 1931 has the supposedly "Oak" trees present.
A Scrapbook of Me: The Curse Of Oak Island
I THINK they are in reality ACACIA trees, but this reinforces the theory of "something" being there.
As the silhouettes of these trees indicates to me,,,at least they are in fact Umbrella Thorn Acacia.
Which appear to be from the savannas of North Africa.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Umb...ved=0ahUKEwis_-Skq5rKAhWIaT4KHeL_AE4Q_AUIBigB
I stand corrected.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You don't think they are Oak trees that were part of a large stand that was cleared so only the upper canopy flourished? But when the neighboring trees were cut that left tall but narrow individual trees?

Instead they are miraculous tropical African trees thriving in Nova Scotia? Oh yeah, that makes better sense. Easy to verify because Acadia trees have huge thorns that are very durable and would survive in the mast of the "forest" floor. Has a bit of Acadia wood, leaf, or thorn been found?

Bozo.png

Last edited:

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be like that Charlie,,, for sure.
The Oaks where I live, and I live in the woods,, have tall straight trunks but the canopy is not the same, not close.
At least where I live.

I am just going off the silhouettes that were shown in those old pics.

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Marine Radiocarbon Reservoir Effect, AMS Dating - Beta Analytic

Berets are also worn by Paratroopers of most nations, I know because I wore one. Red for Paratroopers, green for Special forces, but I do have to agree with you on that particular one.

Your reference is interesting because Beta Analytic did the 1993 carbon dating of the coconut fiber, and you are talking about sea life that lived in the ocean, not coconut fiber sitting on the beach, apples and oranges as one poster recently told me.
Cheers, Loki

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for your service. Your distinction is correct but I intentionally didn't capitalize "special forces" because I meant to include any qualified military branch or unit. I suppose I could have said "military focus groups" but that sounds like a committee rather than military special mission units. I guess even "run of the mill" G.I.s are entitled to the black beret now.

Bless 'em all. :thumbsup:

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for your service. Your distinction is correct but I intentionally didn't capitalize "special forces" because I meant to include any qualified military branch or unit. I suppose I could have said "military focus groups" but that sounds like a committee rather than military special mission units. I guess even "run of the mill" G.I.s are entitled to the black beret now.

Bless 'em all. :thumbsup:

Thanks Charlie! It seems that recently any special operations unit is now called special forces by the media, having worked with Special Forces I still prefer to only use that distinction for them.
Cheers, Loki

LJB

Jan 9, 2016
Southern Ontario
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Berets are also worn by Paratroopers of most nations, I know because I wore one. Red for Paratroopers, green for Special forces, but I do have to agree with you on that particular one.

Cheers, Loki

Depends what country you serve in. In most Commonwealth countries green berets are worn by ordinary infantry units and SF units wear a tan/beige beret.

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Depends what country you serve in. In most Commonwealth countries green berets are worn by ordinary infantry units and SF units wear a tan/beige beret.

What I had meant was that paratroopers from most countries wear red berets and US Special Forces wear green berets. I know Canadian paratroopers wear red berets because I have worked with them.
Way off subject though, I won't post any more on this.
Cheers, Loki

Last edited:

LJB

Jan 9, 2016
Southern Ontario
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I had meant was that paratroopers from most countries wear red berets and US Special Forces wear green berets. I know Canadian paratroopers wear red berets because I have worked with them.
Way off subject though, I won't post any more on this.
Cheers, Loki

No problem. I'm just a nitpicker about some things.

As for Oak Island, its been a part of Canadian folklore for ages. I first remember hearing about it in the late 60s/early 70s.

While many of the theories about the island are interesting, I've always had a hard time with the pirate buried treasure scenario. After all piracy was a pretty dangerous lifestyle and any day could be your last.

So the idea that pirates would bury their treasure, knowing that they may never live to return to it, has always struck me as being unrealistic. I would suspect that any pirate who amassed any booty is probably going to blow it on booze and women the first chance he gets.

Also, I'm not an expert on the history of Oak Island and the local area during the 18th century when piracy was in its heyday, but I understand that this part of Nova Scotia was pretty well inhabited by settlers, so the idea of pirates coming ashore and burying some treasure without being seen seems unlikely.

Anyway, my 2 cents worth.

OP
OP
TheCoinKid

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
No problem. I'm just a nitpicker about some things.

As for Oak Island, its been a part of Canadian folklore for ages. I first remember hearing about it in the late 60s/early 70s.

While many of the theories about the island are interesting, I've always had a hard time with the pirate buried treasure scenario. After all piracy was a pretty dangerous lifestyle and any day could be your last.

So the idea that pirates would bury their treasure, knowing that they may never live to return to it, has always struck me as being unrealistic. I would suspect that any pirate who amassed any booty is probably going to blow it on booze and women the first chance he gets.

Also, I'm not an expert on the history of Oak Island and the local area during the 18th century when piracy was in its heyday, but I understand that this part of Nova Scotia was pretty well inhabited by settlers, so the idea of pirates coming ashore and burying some treasure without being seen seems unlikely.

Anyway, my 2 cents worth.

I have to agree.

Personally, I'm a guy who would love to believe in buried treasure on the island, and would love to see treasure found. However, as time passes, that seems less and less likely. That's why I created this thread; to see what story the tangible evidence might be able to tell, and maybe make me a believer again. Three years watching the show has served only to push me in the other direction.

Regards,

TCK

Coemgenthesilent

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2016
Lancaster, pa
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Any one know of templar astronomical techniques or how they figured the lat. and long. Lines to be where they were on their maps? If so I'd like to know, please send me a private message and I wouldn't mind sharing some valuable information ( so I think ) on the subject of oak island however mine is based off of a templar connection and not so much a buried treasure definitely not on oak island. The island is too obvious of a focal point that its borderline comical to watch people suffer through it. Oak island is important in so much as it is a clue to a larger puzzle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions