Vikings in Newfoundland

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Columbus thought the World was round…The Vikings perceived the Atlantic was round?

Columbus believed if he proceeded directly from his starting point he would eventually return back to where he had begun, having circumnavigated the World.

Although his theory was right, he did not accomplish his task due to underestimating the distance involved.

It may have been that the Vikings thought that the Atlantic Ocean was round, like a huge lake.

If one was to follow the Shore eventually one would go around it and return to their starting point.

From watching the TV Series “Vikings” it was presented that they were first Raiders, then Explorers.

Raiders would want to follow the Shore to locate any potential plundering locations.

It was also portrayed they followed their Seasons as to when to Raid.

This was from Ice Break Up to Ice Freeze Up within the Fjords leading into the inlets to their villages.

It showed in the Series, that they would return back to their villages with their plunder prior to Freeze Up.

My calculation is this time frame would be from March to October in the Scandinavian regions.

This may mean they could have sailed for 4 months out before they would need to safely return.

It would be interesting to know when the Dragon Harold Fairhair left its Scandinavian port and how far it progressed in 4 months.

My theory would lead me to believe that Newfoundland would have been this 4 months reach.

The Vikings would have known in order to progress any further around the circle they would need to build a settlement to accomplish the next leg.

I believe this next leg would have brought them to the Mexican Yucatan.

It was told by the Maya as Legend of a blond haired, blue eyed man (KuKul Kan…The Plumed Serpent), and his followers arriving in a strange serpent vessel and staying among them.

While living in the Yucatan, I visited the northern city of Tizimin, where some of the people are blond and blue eyed and are claimed to be of Viking descendants.

In the Pyramid at Chichen Itza there is a carved picture of what appears to be a Viking ship.

From the Yucatan and then Belize it is not clear how much further on their circle they ventured before perceiving that this huge Lake may be an infinite River with no end in sight.

For those interested this Canadian Long Holiday Weekend… in Binge Viewing… the entire “Viking TV Series” …Commercial Free…be XMovies8.tv... guest!

Vikings-Fjord-boat-ship-shot.png

Free movies for search: "vikings"

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This may mean they could have sailed for 4 months out before they would need to safely return.

It would be interesting to know when the Dragon Harold Fairhair left its Scandinavian port and how far it progressed in 4 months.

[/url]

The Dragon Boat left Norway May 24th and after stopping at the Shetland Islands for a few days to fix some rigging then visiting the Faroe Islands for a few days and the same in Iceland, they are at this moment about 100 miles off the coast of South Greenland. Iceland to Greenland being one of the longest legs it will take them a little over 4 days to complete. IMHO,if they had not stayed several days at each port the whole trip to Greenland could have taken less then 3 weeks with another week to Newfoundland. This makes a premised Templar voyage using the same route quite feasible.
Another reason the Vikings and also the much premised Templars Island hopped was for drinking water. They couldn't carry enough in their small boats for extended sea voyages with large crews (the Dragon Boat has a crew of 32).

Cheers, Loki

Last edited:

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Lokiblossom, I just made it back from New Ross and that is the last time I go there on Friday 13th. The nats or black flys were hungry. I never seen so many blood sucking flys in one area. Then up in the field above the castle site we had millions of black spiders and red ant hills. Then it rained. We spent over $120 on bug sprays and I got more bites then my workers. The back yard of Joans house is beyond a mess its more like a junk yard. Over all the trip was a success and we plan to return soon. We located over 100 hand cut stones and most are key stones with one up to 2' high. On our next trip we plan to fly in and have a Remote 3D scan done. Our research is done now its time to dig.

Upnorth42

Sep 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Lokiblossom, I just made it back from New Ross and that is the last time I go there on Friday 13th. The nats or black flys were hungry. I never seen so many blood sucking flys in one area. Then up in the field above the castle site we had millions of black spiders and red ant hills. Then it rained. We spent over $120 on bug sprays and I got more bites then my workers.

Those would be the dreaded black flies. The good news is they have a short season and will all be gone soon. They certainly make going in the woods difficult. They are very widespread. The closer you are to the ocean the less of them there will be. Inland especially around water which is everywhere in Nova Scotia they are around in huge numbers.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure what kind of coinage they used, but wouldn't that be a smoking gun if found at any suspected location?

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Lokiblossom, I just made it back from New Ross and that is the last time I go there on Friday 13th. The nats or black flys were hungry. I never seen so many blood sucking flys in one area. Then up in the field above the castle site we had millions of black spiders and red ant hills. Then it rained. We spent over $120 on bug sprays and I got more bites then my workers. The back yard of Joans house is beyond a mess its more like a junk yard. Over all the trip was a success and we plan to return soon. We located over 100 hand cut stones and most are key stones with one up to 2' high. On our next trip we plan to fly in and have a Remote 3D scan done. Our research is done now its time to dig.

Good luck! The last time I was there the black flies were bad (also in the spring).
Cheers, Loki

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions