Maybe better not to think ...

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
You're overlooking the key part of the research: “I went back to the earliest reports and, for example, they say the logs went all the way down every 10 feet, and that’s simply not true.”

So, now we know! Tar kilns it is!

It has always been Believed... that the "Planking" was done from the Bottom...Up!

This would be "Logical" as with a 10 Foot Ladder you would Fill and then Pack, and then Seal with Putty, to create a perfect Air Lock Seal... then Repeat!

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're overlooking the key part of the research: “I went back to the earliest reports and, for example, they say the logs went all the way down every 10 feet, and that’s simply not true.”

So, now we know! Tar kilns it is!

Makes a heck of a lot more sense than most of the theories presented here, that's or sure.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to ask myself repeatedly why people believe there is something worth wild in the "Money Pit". I believe "Jean Lafitte" said it best, "Man can be lead down bad or false paths". You know strategically, having a "Decoy" shaft with no way of reaching the bottom ensures the longevity of the legend and focus peoples attention to that pit. Think about this, if the "Cave-In Pit" had not collapsed then no one would have a reason to look there. They would focus their attention on the "Money Pit" until they had there answer and if no treasure was found they would probably look elsewhere off that island.

Especially since the money pit and the entire area around it has been dug up as deep as 200 feet during the many excavations with heavy equipment. If anyone found anything, they kept it a secret. Nothing there now but a TV show stage for those who want to believe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread