Apr 21, 2016
UK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett EuroAce
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No criticism intended, Imagine imagine imagine

I don’t see we have much alternative but to imagine based on what we have. So, let’s imagine we’re intelligent, and go back three hundred years to a time when there were no banks or safe deposits. It was common enough practice at that time to bury valuables to keep them safe. We’re intelligent people, and we know a few things about people in general. So, we know that we have to take precautions.

We don’t want to be seen burying our loot so we hide it in an out of the way place. We want to make depositing our treasure fairly easy, and also its recovery, so we perhaps store it in sturdy chests (not canvas bags). We may not keep it all in one place, spreading the risk of discovery. But unless we work entirely on our own, somebody else is going to be in the know. So, we have to keep the secret close. We don’t want somebody to stumble across our treasure, so, we cover our tracks, leaving no trace of our presence, and certainly no trace of the hole we’ve put it in.

Now come into the future, to Oak Island. What’s wrong with this picture? We know immediately that we weren’t responsible for the Oak Island deposit because the originator broadcast to everyone exactly where on the island the treasure was deposited, and made damned sure that when somebody stumbled across the spot they would, by their predictable response, make it near impossible for us to retrieve it ourselves!

It seems that we’ve suddenly ceased to be intelligent, or maybe we've ceased to think! It’s not that we fail to apply this reasoning to Oak Island - we do - but then we simply ignore the conclusion. We want to believe in the Money Pit, so we introduce special arguments to overcome the obvious fact that if the record of the discovery is correct then it’s highly likely that if there’s something there at all then it’s probably peanuts (though maybe still worth digging up in the present day).

The obvious implication is that if there’s a really huge treasure on Oak Island then it’s somewhere other than in the Money Pit. Superficially, that’s not a great help, because there’s a lot of somewhere else on the island. However, we should be intelligent enough to appreciate that were we the depositors, and were we leaving the loot for our heirs, we might leave them instructions, if not a map.

We should also be intelligent enough to appreciate that our map can’t be written in everyday language; it has to be written in such a way that only our heirs will understand it. It also has to be precise. This means we can’t use a unit as vague as a pace, we wouldn’t use a magnetic compass, but true bearings, we should use precise markers, and we should expect these to be permanent.

The point is that such ground markers have been found on Oak Island, but nobody seems to want to believe that they're present simply due to there being a map, or maps, that use them - because the idea of a treasure map is a thing of fiction, and definitely for the weak minded. And we certainly wouldn’t want to be considered weak minded.

Petter Amundsen has come up with a map he suggests was hidden in the text of the First Folio of the works of Shakespeare (1623). On this very forum, Robot has come up with a map in plain sight that he believes dates to a deposit in 1762. We’re intelligent people, intelligent enough to come up with hundreds of different maps for our own deposit, but we’re far too intelligent to apply to Oak Island cryptic instructions on maps previously linked to the island that have now been in circulation for some eighty years, and predate the discovery of some of the ground markers they may well refer to

It makes far more sense to believe in a deposit in the Money Pit, and to spend millions to dig it out. Let's do that, because we certainly wouldn't want to explore far-fetched hypotheses! After all, I imagine we’re all intelligent people.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure the Lagina brothers get "flooded" with theories of this that or the other. I hope they do try to look into some of them just seems they never finish anything before moving on. Not sure how much of that is them personally, the show, EPA stuff, and or rules/laws regarding what they can and can't do on the island.. Most people seems like on here at least have ruled out the Money Pit from having anything of value left atleast. Old man Blankenship has them convinced there is something down his hole 10x. I'd love to see them dry it out and get someone down there to see, to either completely rule it in or out. Then maybe they'd start looking into some of the stuff you speak about but right now I feel they are blinded by their own personal thinking, which is their right to do, they are paying for this but maybe once they see get done looking into their beliefs they'll take a more serious look into some of the other theories, maps, etc..

OP
OP
G

gjb

Apr 21, 2016
UK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett EuroAce
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure the Lagina brothers get "flooded" with theories of this that or the other. I hope they do try to look into some of them just seems they never finish anything before moving on. Not sure how much of that is them personally, the show, EPA stuff, and or rules/laws regarding what they can and can't do on the island.

I think there's a lot in that, but they do seem to be looking outward, particularly Rick, though he's not paying the bills! It's a refreshing change from their predecessors. It’s long been hoped that there might be documentation on the project. I believe there was, and thirty years ago I may have come within an ace of it, but the attitude and outlook of Triton Alliance caused them to miss out on gaining access to it. At that time, this was, after all, a treasure hunt, not a search for answers.

It's said that Dan Blankenship would bin any suggestion that came his way, seeing that these came from cranks. I read that he favoured the guidance of an American Native Indian spirit. Whatever gets you there!

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm sure the Lagina brothers get "flooded" with theories of this that or the other. I hope they do try to look into some of them just seems they never finish anything before moving on. Not sure how much of that is them personally, the show, EPA stuff, and or rules/laws regarding what they can and can't do on the island.. Most people seems like on here at least have ruled out the Money Pit from having anything of value left atleast. Old man Blankenship has them convinced there is something down his hole 10x. I'd love to see them dry it out and get someone down there to see, to either completely rule it in or out. Then maybe they'd start looking into some of the stuff you speak about but right now I feel they are blinded by their own personal thinking, which is their right to do, they are paying for this but maybe once they see get done looking into their beliefs they'll take a more serious look into some of the other theories, maps, etc..

As I mentioned on another thread, Marty Lagina is under contract with the History Channel and they call all of the shots. Certainly, anybody who was hiding anything would not leave a block and tackle hanging in a tree. I don't think there is anything on Oak Island except evidence of a passing medieval group using the Island as a temporary port.
Cheers, Loki

OP
OP
G

gjb

Apr 21, 2016
UK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett EuroAce
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:oki my friend, are you forgetting the wooden platforms? or am I mistaken, as is usual.

Aren’t we in danger of forgetting that there really are a number of possibilities? Such as, there never was a treasure on Oak Island, there was and it’s still there, and there was and it’s not. I’m not sure what the answer is, but I’m intrigued by the fact of there being seawater in the Money Pit and huge workings at Smith’s Cove apparently to achieve this end.

None of this actually puts a treasure on Oak Island. However, I’m prepared to imagine there might be one, or might have been, but I just can’t imagine a huge treasure sensibly having been put in the Money Pit. This leads me to wonder if this assumed, or imagined, treasure might be somewhere else.

I have to concede that there are other thoughts explaining the Money Pit. Such as it might have been constructed by people looking for the treasure, and the fact that it had platforms may have been simply because that would make it easier to open it up again if the treasure hunters came back. In this scenario, they could have compromised the flood system, and caused water to enter their excavation.

I’m more intrigued by Smith’s Cove than by apparent treasure platforms. What was that all about? It seems it may have been important to someone to run seawater into a shaft at the east of the island and then maybe into tunnels leading inland. That doesn’t mean there’s a treasure on the island protected by water, but I take it the water had some significant purpose. On this, other than treasure, I’m currently at a loss.

I’m even more intrigued by the ground markers, and my take on these can't have been missed. I look for a possible purpose for them, and come up with maps. After a number of assumptions concerning the apparent undertaking, I then ask myself, if the maps apply to Oak Island, and the markers apply to the maps, then what might they tell us?

Oak Island could have been a medieval staging post, but it’s intriguing to think that someone else may have used it later, though I reckon that's an unnecessary complication. Anyway, we can muse all we want, as I’m with Loki in believing the History Channel is currently calling all the shots with respect to content. When ratings fall, we may find Rick and Marty go their own way - or maybe sell their interest in the island on the back of all the interest generated by the series!

Last edited:

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wooden platforms lets us know someone did something there in a pretty big way. What that is, is the question.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eventually the history channel will report the truth....the money pit was a salt reclamation system.

OP
OP
G

gjb

Apr 21, 2016
UK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett EuroAce
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wooden platforms lets us know someone did something there in a pretty big way. What that is, is the question.

Whoever dug the shaft didn’t simply fill it in by throwing the soil back into it. The fact that there were wooden platforms could be because whoever dug the shaft wanted to be able to get back to the bottom in the quickest possible time. Hence, the platforms weren’t a barrier to excavation, they were an aid.

If it was the originator who did all this then maybe he hadn’t finished the job. So, it’s possible that all that’s in the Money Pit is what he left, and needed, in order to continue.

We seem to attach huge significance to the platforms, apparently, ‘because they were there’. We seem to conclude that because the water appeared on removing them that this was intended to happen. Not an accident. Then we massively conclude there had to have been a really huge treasure in the Money Pit because of the platforms and the flood!

It’s not exactly a simple choice to decide which way to go, but in the end it really is just a preference whether you attach any great significance to the platforms. It could simply have been useful to fill in the shaft that way, and they had a practical and mundane purpose. The 'treasure platform' is a huge assumption. It could have been a 'storage platform', but the original diggers were after treasure and preferred not to see it that way.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; My curiousity is that why is it they they do not WIDEN that 27" hole that supposedly goes into 10X. They have sent divers down only to be thwarted time and again. I don't understand that with today's technology that they can not get to the bottom of 10X. We can dig mines thousands of feet deep but can't dig a hole 300'??? It does not make sense unless the Owners are making more money on the PR than going after any treasure at all. I await. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
G

gjb

Apr 21, 2016
UK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett EuroAce
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; My curiousity is that why is it they they do not WIDEN that 27" hole that supposedly goes into 10X. They have sent divers down only to be thwarted time and again. I don't understand that with today's technology that they can not get to the bottom of 10X. We can dig mines thousands of feet deep but can't dig a hole 300'??? It does not make sense unless the Owners are making more money on the PR than going after any treasure at all. I await. PEACE:RONB

I'm not really sure of the answer to that, but I don’t have a great deal of faith in 10X, and it wouldn’t attract me as a sensible route to take, considering the investment involved. Remember, it wasn’t widened and reinforced all the way down simply because the money ran out. Maybe you have to have Dan Blankenship’s belief in 10X to take that route rather than go for the Money Pit.

Incidentally, I have no real knowledge of why 10X is where it is (just people's guesses). Does anyone have any sound information on this? Just what made this test hole so significant?

Last edited:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; About that 27" hole. They stopped because they ran out of money. Well, here are the brothers pouring TENS OF MILLIONS into it. I would think that would have been more than enough to get the widening job DONE once and for all. It does not make any sense at all. Focus on ONE SPOT and go for it. I don't know. I await. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
G

gjb

Apr 21, 2016
UK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett EuroAce
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; About that 27" hole. They stopped because they ran out of money. Well, here are the brothers pouring TENS OF MILLIONS into it. I would think that would have been more than enough to get the widening job DONE once and for all. It does not make any sense at all. Focus on ONE SPOT and go for it. I don't know. I await. PEACE:RONB

I doubt they’re pouring tens of millions into it just yet! And remember, 10X isn’t the Money Pit, and it isn’t necessarily a route to the Money Pit. It’s just one man’s guess at somewhere to dig, and the Lagina brothers may just be humouring him in the hope that something might turn up. It seems nothing did. Again, it 'just happens to be there’. It’s not part of the original workings. You have to have real faith in order to pursue it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gjb

Apr 21, 2016
UK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett EuroAce
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ssW, not so. They scrape out large shallow ponds near the source fill them with salty water, and let mother nature evaporate the water.:laughing7:

Hey! - salt pans - that's really a great idea! We could make millions if it wasn't considered so unhealthy to eat salt. Have another :coffee2: and think of some other way of making us rich. Like finding the Oak Island :treasurechest: :laughing7:.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I'm sorry but that logic strikes me as just plain STUPID. Spend MILLIONS just to humor dad.!!! Come on. There is more to this SCHEME than they are letting on. From their own bios they are not idiots. I stopped watching it because the logic makes o sense at all. I'll wait until they scream -- WE GOT IT.!!! PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
G

gjb

Apr 21, 2016
UK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett EuroAce
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I'm sorry but that logic strikes me as just plain STUPID. Spend MILLIONS just to humor dad.!!! Come on. There is more to this SCHEME than they are letting on. From their own bios they are not idiots. I stopped watching it because the logic makes o sense at all. I'll wait until they scream -- WE GOT IT.!!! PEACE:RONB

The whole point is that they’re not spending millions 'just to humor dad.' They're spending smaller amounts to humor the public. They probably spent what they did partly because it would make good television. They obviously failed to impress you, they failed to impress me, and they failed to impress a lot of other people. But some thought it was great! My admiration goes to the divers.

Marty Lagina and Craig Tester are businessmen. They may be prepared to invest relatively small sums in testing hypotheses with some chance of revealing something worthwhile. The second core drilling at the Money Pit was a case in point.

They also put some money into investigating 10X, and time will tell whether they think the results worthwhile spending millions to explore it further. Opinion seems against it, and I simply doubt it’s going to happen. It could be that the brothers simply don't believe it's worth spending more than they have done on such tremendously long odds.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; During one episode they stated that they had spent"Millions" on it. Maybe that was BS as well. Anyyways, I'll way until the real dirt hits the fan so to speak. It WAS interesting at first but not now. PEACE:RONB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread