NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Well if you watch his broadcasts he will show you information he has gathered straight from archives and researches he has done on and for Oak Island.

1 instance that just happened. The TV Show, shows the guys digging in the cove and uncovering a structure with total amazment.
But yet Hutton shows a picture of Dan himself back a few decades. On the exact same spot excavated out. With Dan himself standing next to the exact same structure. Trying to do the exact same thing in locating these flood tunnels or what. Then to no luck. Filled the hole in.
Now the brothers are hear doing the exact same thing.
So what does that tell you.
The show is so scripted to drag you along

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
8cd6c024bb0b7a850ca2428da188e267.jpg
8ea72006f8c0867d174122b5dece7192.jpg
408c43c01442e3b22298d65926129e7c.jpg
1ba8458a76493dd6f5a313c77b971337.jpg

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yeah, he's still grumpy about the brothers exposing his Roman sword as a hoax, so he's trying to get back at them by 'exposing' what everyone already knows: reality TV is scripted.
No i dont beleive that for a second. Everyday he will go out of his way to commend the brothers and he clearly still has high appreciation for them. So i dont beleive that for a second. He was snubbed because he wanted the fans of the show 8.5m of them to get involved with the search. Share information finds. He even put it to the brothers to them to invite 100 metal detectorist fans to the island to detect the whole island. But the brothers didnt like the idea. Because it would take away from their hunt.

I wouldnt go as far to say the sword was a hoax. It wasnt his sword. He didnt bring it from home. It was brought to the brothers from a local not from HP.
As for the metalurgy test. It doesnt prove anything but the metal content of the sword. When compared to 300 of the other same types of swords that have been found. The metal content is very alike.
Despite what many people may think.
Ore does not come out of the ground pure. It will contain on average atleast 3 other types of metal in the same sample. Thats why they have to refine it.
I could go out and dig up a big gold nugget. It wouldnt be 100% pure gold. It would also contain silver. Copper. Zince and whatever else.
So university logic would say it was made in the 1800s because of the other minerals in it

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If Hutton said the true he had a 5 years contract. The brothers cancel the contract before season 3.

Philyaw/Pulitzer badly wants his own TV show.

CueCat Inventor Serves Up Craziest Video You'll See All Day - D Magazine

He's bordering stolen valor by calling himself "commander" and wearing a beret with his "Monkey Division" style treasure emblem.

He tried to distance himself from the sword now it is discredited - but read this article from the Chronicle Herald from a year ago.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1333135-oak-island’s-roman-sword-saga-unsheathed

"Whoever these Romans were, they disappeared from Roman history,” Jovan Hutton Pulitzer, a self-declared forensic historian who appears on the show, told The Chronicle Herald in a recent interview. "So they left Spain and the United Kingdom, came across using a particular method of island-hopping, and they never returned home. We know the latest this probably occurred might have been 198 AD."
Pulitzer and his fellow members of the Ancient Artifact Preservation Society say they will prove their claims in a white paper they will release this spring.

I'd like to know his archaeological accreditation and where he earned his degree.

Last edited:

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for the metalurgy test. It doesnt prove anything but the metal content of the sword. When compared to 300 of the other same types of swords that have been found. The metal content is very alike.
Despite what many people may think.
Ore does not come out of the ground pure. It will contain on average atleast 3 other types of metal in the same sample. Thats why they have to refine it.
I could go out and dig up a big gold nugget. It wouldnt be 100% pure gold. It would also contain silver. Copper. Zince and whatever else.
So university logic would say it was made in the 1800s because of the other minerals in it

The university test proved that the sword was a modern creation, based on the percentages of other metals in the brass/bronze alloy that made up the sword. You're right, though. You could go out and dig up a gold nugget. You can't, though, go out and dig up a bronze or brass nugget. Bronze and brass are alloys, and do not occur in nature. The conclusion was that the technology required to make the alloy used to cast the sword was not available until relatively recently. That didn't stop Hutton from trying to claim that it was a genuine Roman artifact. He made a fool of himself trying to discredit the lab that did the testing.

Take a look at Andy White's blog Category: Swordgate - Andy White Anthropology It goes deeper into the hoax, and describes the 20 or so other 'authentic Roman' swords that have turned up.

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Philyaw/Pulitzer badly wants his own TV show.

CueCat Inventor Serves Up Craziest Video You'll See All Day - D Magazine

He's bordering stolen valor by calling himself "commander" and wearing a beret with his "Monkey Division" style treasure emblem.

He tried to distance himself from the sword now it is discredited - but read this article from the Chronicle Herald from a year ago.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1333135-oak-island’s-roman-sword-saga-unsheathed

I'd like to know his archaeological accreditation and where he earned his degree.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=lWRjenOgklE
Hear it straight from the horses mouth. He released this only days ago.
If you can dis prove anything with credible and checkable information then i ask you to please share it to the group for us all to see. And not just some second hand link to another page.
Lets see your accredited research.
Lets see your degree.
An archeological degree isnt worth the paper is printed on these days.
So we are ment to believe this that we walked across the world. But we were not able to sail it prior to the 1600s
829deeaf3291522c42033e92d5535919.jpg

Last edited:

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If you can dis prove anything with credible and checkable information then i ask you to please share it to the group for us all to see. And not just some second hand link to another page.
Lets see your degree.
So we are ment to believe this that we walked across the world. But we were not able to sail it prior to the 1600s

https://youtu.be/lWRjenOgklE

Last edited:

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets see your degree.

I'm not sure I understand what point you're trying to make.

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'm not sure I understand what point you're trying to make.
Watch the video it goes for 1.5hrs.
You want to fight over the headlines that portray this guy. Why not listen to it straight from the man him self. Call it like it is. Rather then hate bash on him. He will clearly come out and say. Its not my sword. I did not find or bring it to the island. I did not call it roman.
All you have to do is pay attention

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Whoose Roman sword is it?
Theres no short answer. Best thing would be to watch the utube video i shared a few posts ago.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lets see your degree.

Said the man who spelled "archaeological" incorrectly.

LOL! Hit pretty close to the fat 'ol jowl bones, didn't I? "Horses mouth", you say? Wrong end, I say. The stupid "Monkey Division" symbol again. "Commander"? Please.

I have a degree (three) in my chosen profession. I don't profess to be an archaeologist. I just drop in here to voice displeasure that the History Channel is anything but. Should be called the "Huckster Channel".

But, even so, the only thing left on Oak Island are broken dreams and holes. I'll revise my hypothesis when something is found. There is no research to produce; because there is nothing to research. Just the pawing of a dozen failed attempts.

Now, the Norse settlements at L'Anse Aux Meadows and Point Rosee - THOSE I would like to see documentaries on. By accredited professionals, please.

Last edited:

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Charlie P I have to completely agree with you. There are so many exciting REAL sites and discoveries. It is a crying shame that good money is spent promoting crap science / history.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Theres no short answer. Best thing would be to watch the utube video i shared a few posts ago.

Why? Do you get a tenth of a nickel for every view?

Sallah

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know where the translations that the show presents have come from, but I think there may be some inaccuracies. Here are my thoughts.

I think that the body of water that has been interpreted as "La ange" or "The angel" should have been read as "La anse" or "The cove". Notice how other examples of the letter "S" that are hand written on the original map have a horizontal line through them (almost all of them, anyway). That strike through may lead one to mistake this particular "S" for a "G". Just my opinion, of course, but "cove" does seem to make more sense here.

Also, I would translate "La voute en bas de terre" as simply "underground vault". "La voute"="the vault"; "en bas"="below"; "de terre"="the ground". It appears as "Earth vaulted bay" on the show. Although I guess the gist is more or less the same.

And while I haven't figured out an alternate translation, I don't see how they came up with the phrase "December triangle". "Triangle" definitely. But "December" would be "Decembre" in French. That last word doesn't look like "Decembre" to me. It could possibly be the abbreviation "Dec." but there is no ".", there are no other abbreviations on the map, and what about the two subsequent letters after the "C"? Actually, the third letter of that final word looks more like an "L" than a "C" to me, when you compare it to other examples on the map. And the final letter of the word looks strongly like another those strike-through "S". So possibly "Le Triangle De les"? Translating as "The triangle of" (with a word missing). (But then why is the D capitalized here where it isn't capitalized anywhere else?) And I also think that the second letter of that word possibly be an "A" rather than an "E". (and also the fourth letter of that word). So, I don't know quite what to make of that word, but I don't agree with "December".

Maybe it is the "Triangle d'ales" and there is a pint of Bass buried there.:dontknow:

Just my rambling thoughts.

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Why? Do you get a tenth of a nickel for every view?
Ok full version. Which can be verified and has been.
In 1940 2 men illeagly fishing using a dragnet. Dragged up the sword. Not really a sword more a dagger letter opener. Because what they where doing carried huge fines and jail time. They kept the find to them selves. The man then passed and it went to his wife. She then passed and it went to their daughter. The daughter then passed and it then went on to her partner. The partner took it to rick. Marty and craig.
Who then took it in.
Marty rick and craig then produced the it to JHP before the filming of season 2

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Said the man who spelled "archaeological" incorrectly.

LOL! Hit pretty close to the fat 'ol jowl bones, didn't I? "Horses mouth", you say? Wrong end, I say. The stupid "Monkey Division" symbol again. "Commander"? Please.

I have a degree (three) in my chosen profession. I don't profess to be an archaeologist. I just drop in here to voice displeasure that the History Channel is anything but. Should be called the "Huckster Channel".

But, even so, the only thing left on Oak Island are broken dreams and holes. I'll revise my hypothesis when something is found. There is no research to produce; because there is nothing to research. Just the pawing of a dozen failed attempts.

Now, the Norse settlements at L'Anse Aux Meadows and Point Rosee - THOSE I would like to see documentaries on. By accredited professionals, please.
Oh ****. Freaking sue me for forgetting an A. I best quit my day job.
But i do agree. There isnt anything in that place

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know where the translations that the show presents have come from, but I think there may be some inaccuracies. Here are my thoughts.

Just my rambling thoughts.
Hello Sallah thanks for taking the time to share that. Welcome to the forum and the discussion....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread