Who gets the booty?

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Okay, while hanging out on the post chasing crows, I had a thought come to me. I've been following all the threads on this "Money Pit", and I don't seem to remember seeing a mention of this, well, if it actually happens.

Who gets to keep the aka "Treasure" if it's found?

Will it be like the folks who find treasure ships? They spend the money to do so, and when they do, everybody and their brother/sister/aunt/uncle, 2nd cousin twice removed, and governments all jump in and claim it's theirs.

Does/did it belong to the Pirates? Or whom they took it from? The Templars? Or whom they might have gotten it from? The Masons?
The Indians/Aztecs/Mayans who might have been enslaved to dig to produce gold/silver. The relatives of King Solomon, or one of the others? Vikings or the folks they slaughtered to gain the goodies? I guess the Leprechauns might even jump in there. And don't forget Sasquatch and the Aliens. Or the Archies.

I don't know, but to me, yeah the hunt is fun and exciting, but knowing beforehand that more than likely you aren't going to be able to keep it, seems a little odd for a reason to do it. Unless you have some really deep pockets, and a lot of time on your hands, you'll probably end up spending more of both just to break even. :BangHead:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Psst... It's a moot point. Because there is not any treasure on Oak Island!

sasquash

Nov 2, 2016
North of Quebec
Detector(s) used
Computers
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, while hanging out on the post chasing crows, I had a thought come to me. I've been following all the threads on this "Money Pit", and I don't seem to remember seeing a mention of this, well, if it actually happens.

Who gets to keep the aka "Treasure" if it's found?

Will it be like the folks who find treasure ships? They spend the money to do so, and when they do, everybody and their brother/sister/aunt/uncle, 2nd cousin twice removed, and governments all jump in and claim it's theirs.

Does/did it belong to the Pirates? Or whom they took it from? The Templars? Or whom they might have gotten it from? The Masons?
The Indians/Aztecs/Mayans who might have been enslaved to dig to produce gold/silver. The relatives of King Solomon, or one of the others? Vikings or the folks they slaughtered to gain the goodies? I guess the Leprechauns might even jump in there. And don't forget Sasquatch and the Aliens. Or the Archies.

I don't know, but to me, yeah the hunt is fun and exciting, but knowing beforehand that more than likely you aren't going to be able to keep it, seems a little odd for a reason to do it. Unless you have some really deep pockets, and a lot of time on your hands, you'll probably end up spending more of both just to break even. :BangHead:

If any treasure to be found I put a $$$ for the gov and a small $ for the hunter ...

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
It is not quite....Finders...Keepers...But All in all a Pretty Good Deal! 90% Laginas

[FONT=&quot]Lagina: It took us years to get what’s called the Treasure Rights. Canada had something called a Treasure Trove Act—which was a thorny mess. We only got that sorted out two years ago.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tester: The Canadian government actually got rid of the Treasure Trove Act, so we didn’t have any way of getting a license to excavate at first. The government replaced the Treasure Trove Act with what’s called the Oak Island Act. Only after that was enacted could we apply for licenses.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lagina: With the Treasure Trove Act, you could apply for licenses to dig anywhere. Now, the only place you can have the rights to treasure—to my knowledge, anyway—is on Oak Island, pursuant to the Oak Island Act.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It’s my understanding that you have to split the findings with Canada.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lagina: 90-10. We get 90. Except for artifacts. We don’t know what “artifact” means, because almost anything can be an artifact.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So unless you find freshly-minted Canadian dollars…[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lagina: I think it means that we could have gold bars, and maybe jewels. We’re not sure.[/FONT]

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lagina: 90-10. We get 90. Except for artifacts. We don’t know what “artifact” means, because almost anything can be an artifact...
That would be right spend a fortune and find some treasure just to have the government come along and say 'that is an artifact and it is ours'... I know from when I lived in Australia the government takes it all if you find something old and buried. The trick there is to say if you find something is 'that it has been in the family for generations" pre the laws that let the government take it. You read many articles re people finding stuff and have the gov't take it off them...

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Lagina: I think it means that we could have gold bars, and maybe jewels. We’re not sure.

Presumably gold nuggets would be fine. They're not artifacts, are they? Are trees and rocks artifacts?

It's a funny thing here: when you melt down gold artifacts and pour them into a bucket of rock salt, you can then rinse the salt off and the result looks a lot like a nugget. I'm not saying that that's what I'd do, but that's what I'd do.

Geezer Mike

Mar 8, 2014
Albany NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who gets the Booty ?

Presumably gold nuggets would be fine. They're not artifacts, are they? Are trees and rocks artifacts?

It's a funny thing here: when you melt down gold artifacts and pour them into a bucket of rock salt, you can then rinse the salt off and the result looks a lot like a nugget. I'm not saying that that's what I'd do, but that's what I'd do.

Probably the guy with the best looks and the most money ! :icon_thumright:

Mike Mercury

Dec 14, 2015
southwest Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably the guy with the best looks and the most money !
In that case, then he's convinced it's him......

ALIEN-GUY-HORN.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread