Oak Island: Was something even there.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
... more people are concerned with the verbage than the content......

Huh ? Verbiage IS content. People can only read and comment on what you're typing out. What you've typed is your "content" after all. If you meant to say something else or something different, then type out that different thing. Sorry, I lost ya bro.

.... to try to nail down the lore, however, after reading every single post on this thread alone, it seems people are more concerned about who is right and wrong, rather than have a discussion about the topic....

"who is right and who is wrong" ? I don't get it. Isn't the very process of "trying to nail down the lore", result in people showing something "right or wrong" by logical discussion ? Isn't that a "discussion" ? Or is a "discussion" only when persons are agreeing with your conclusions ?

As for "staying on topic": Seemed to me that it has/was. It's all about "Oak Island". Sure there's individual debate points WITHIN that broad category (eg.: how much salt can be fit into a 1 lb. container, blah blah blah).

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Well, the mods won't delete the thread because you didn't hear what you wanted to hear. They probably won't lock it either.

You got on a public forum and asked for peoples opinions.

You got them.

Your topic: "Was something even there" seems to have been the topic that was actually discussed, with peoples opinions on why and why not.

I'm sorry you didn't hear the specifics you were after.

What he said ^ ^

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd put the Lemuria/Atlantis hypothesis somewhere behind glacial sink hole but ahead of Templar vault. ;-)

I'm a little confused because I thought Lemuria was in the Pacific Ocean, but what the heck. When you're making it up you can pretend anything. Maybe it was a looooong cavern?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hello All, First time poster. I have to share an article I ran across some time ago.

welcome to T'net Bud. As for your link's theory, ... this is akin to attributing various features of earth's landscape (a funny shaped mountain, a lake inexplicably deeper than all the others around it, etc...) to UFO space aliens. Sorry, I'm not buying it.

It also assumes and predicates itself on the notion that something is, or ever was, there. I'm also not buying that either.

Bud Aurum

Jan 6, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to T'net Bud. As for your link's theory, ... this is akin to attributing various features of earth's landscape (a funny shaped mountain, a lake inexplicably deeper than all the others around it, etc...) to UFO space aliens. Sorry, I'm not buying it.

It also assumes and predicates itself on the notion that something is, or ever was, there. I'm also not buying that either.

Hello Tom,
As I said, it proposes a different perspective. I found other parts of the link a bit far fetched and is why I only included a piece.
It caused me to think Out-of-the-Box, that possibly in ancient times the cavern could have been dry and entered from somewhere outside. The
Pit could have been dug from the inside out which been much easier and for religious purposes or for a vent. The people of that time may have found
the area (cave system) sacred. As to why would you build a house on Everest, you could also ask why would you build a monolithic pyramid in the middle of the dessert?

Maybe the Pit was found centuries later and not need be dug but filled in?
The reason I enjoy this sight is the "unknown" and the different angles and approach that is needed to solve a mystery. Or debunk...

Your Bud Aurum

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
....As to why would you build a house on Everest, you could also ask why would you build a monolithic pyramid in the middle of the dessert? ....

My cursory knowledge of pyramids tells me that people (Pharaoh kings) were buried in them, as tombs. Presto , a "reason why". Contrast to a vacation house on Mt. Everest ? ... I don't think "stunning views" would compel anyone to do that. Eh ?

But assume for the moment that someone could come up with a *possible* explanation for the extreme of A) building the pyramids, or B) building a home on the top of Mt. Everest. All that does, it takes us right back to the notion that if ANYTHING possible reason, or ANY possible way to get around a seemingly physical possibility can be found, then .... ergo: "An Oak Island treasure must therefore be true".

That doesn't logically follow. I can come up with all the same talking points to try to claim that a "treasure vault exists under my house". And any expression of doubt by anyone as to the impossibility or lack-of-likeliness, I can use all the same talking points that it was done in secret by the people who fled the sinking of Atlantis. And if it's not there at 100 ft, it still doesn't mean the treasure isn't most certainly not under my house. It simply means it must be 200 ft. If it's not there when we get to 200 ft, that simply means it must be 300 ft., etc..

At some point when people begin to question the odds of the Atlantis people digging a pit that deep under my house, I merely refer them to the Pyramid argument, as proof that such a monumental project was possible.

You see ? At no point can you ever prove to me that the treasure isn't under my house. Or that leprechauns aren't real (they just hide so you don't see them , etc...).

Last edited:

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I learned two things...I am disgusted. Lesson learned....
That is pretty sad... You ask a question and a lot of people take the time to try to contribute to a discussion of the question you have raised.. and rather then saying thank you.. You tell those people they have disgusted you.. Maybe you should stay away from forums...

Back to the question and the discussion..

I would guess from my reading of the forum about 60% of posters here believe no treasure was ever buried on Oak Island. About 30% believe that there may have been a treasure but it was taken/removed sometime in the past and about 10% think there may still be some treasure there (My survey results are not based on any scientific method at all :tongue3:)....

sasquash

Nov 2, 2016
North of Quebec
Detector(s) used
Computers
Primary Interest:
Other
That is pretty sad... You ask a question and a lot of people take the time to try to contribute to a discussion of the question you have raised.. and rather then saying thank you.. You tell those people they have disgusted you.. Maybe you should stay away from forums...

Back to the question and the discussion..

I would guess from my reading of the forum about 60% of posters here believe no treasure was ever buried on Oak Island. About 30% believe that there may have been a treasure but it was taken/removed sometime in the past and about 10% think there may still be some treasure there (My survey results are not based on any scientific method at all :tongue3:)....

No tools in the forum to make survey ?

Lowman

Jan 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly I think Haute Island in the bay of Fundy is a much more likely hiding spot for Kidds treasure than Oak Island. Certainly when you consider his description of "Where the tides meet"...

Bud Aurum

Jan 6, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No tools in the forum to make survey ?

Hello Sasquash, Maybe someone could put up 3 or more replies in a row for each answer and each member could "like it" for their selection and we could count them...

Anyone no how I get my attached picture to show up like Sasquash's there?

Lowman

Jan 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Sasquash, Maybe someone could put up 3 or more replies in a row for each answer and each member could "like it" for their selection and we could count them...

Anyone no how I get my attached picture to show up like Sasquash's there?

My profile>settings>edit avatar>upload image

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe that if everyone on this thread who believed a Treasure is or has been on Oak Island gave me a like right now...It would be very few "Likes".

I think we need to set up a "Thread" called "Oak Island Unbelievers" for disgruntled members to chew over.

Bud Aurum

Jan 6, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My cursory knowledge of pyramids tells me that people (Pharaoh kings) were buried in them, as tombs. Presto , a "reason why". Contrast to a vacation house on Mt. Everest ? ... I don't think "stunning views" would compel anyone to do that. Eh ?

But assume for the moment that someone could come up with a *possible* explanation for the extreme of A) building the pyramids, or B) building a home on the top of Mt. Everest. All that does, it takes us right back to the notion that if ANYTHING possible reason, or ANY possible way to get around a seemingly physical possibility can be found, then .... ergo: "An Oak Island treasure must therefore be true".

That doesn't logically follow. I can come up with all the same talking points to try to claim that a "treasure vault exists under my house". And any expression of doubt by anyone as to the impossibility or lack-of-likeliness, I can use all the same talking points that it was done in secret by the people who fled the sinking of Atlantis. And if it's not there at 100 ft, it still doesn't mean the treasure isn't most certainly not under my house. It simply means it must be 200 ft. If it's not there when we get to 200 ft, that simply means it must be 300 ft., etc..

At some point when people begin to question the odds of the Atlantis people digging a pit that deep under my house, I merely refer them to the Pyramid argument, as proof that such a monumental project was possible.

You see ? At no point can you ever prove to me that the treasure isn't under my house. Or that leprechauns aren't real (they just hide so you don't see them , etc...).

Hey Tom Buddy, Only point I was trying to make is a vacation home on Everest could be for a cult Believing they had to be as close to the Sun God "Surya" for at least 2 weeks of the year for enlightenment. Who Ever Knows? and as for your analogy of Leprechauns under your house, I don't believe your story would ever catch wind coming from only one person and one angle, Surely each angle. each person is a multiple possibility.

My belief to this point is;
There has been small bits of treasure found throughout the island over the decades and only simply because the island is more remote and assessable on this part of the coast. There might still be a "Big Score" left for someone either hear or New Ross and a bit more of history to recover.

Your Bud Aurum

Lowman

Jan 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that if everyone on this thread who believed a Treasure is or has been on Oak Island gave me a like right now...It would be very few "Likes".

I think we need to set up a "Thread" called "Oak Island Unbelievers" for disgruntled members to chew over.

Why be disgruntled? These saps have millions invested. They need the show to stay afloat. So what we hang out on the couch eating pistachios and drinking beer whilst yet another slew of hopeless romatinics flush their life savings down the toilet and possibly kill themselves (OK that's a tad dramatic it has been a while on that one.)
Then we are gonna complain because they can't find anything at the most used and abused site in the history of mankind that is not a Kardashian bedroom!?!!?
Really?

Lol...Sorry I just felt like a good rant they are jerking our chains...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... a vacation home on Everest could be for a cult Believing they had to be as close to the Sun God "Surya" for at least 2 weeks of the year for enlightenment...

Bud Aurum, good response point :) You've just given a "reason" why someone *might* want to build a home on the top of Mt. Everest. Afterall, sincere people quite zealous about their religious beliefs have been known to hold high regard for certain geographic locations, rivers, mountains, cities, etc.... And this answer not only answers the "why would someone ?..." for location angle, but also addresses the question of "why expend all the insane trouble?" aspect too. Ie.: religious zeal has historically pushed people to amazing physical feats. Eg.: Pharoahs can't simply be put in a 6 ft. deep grave like a common man. NNnneeoooh, they must be put in a pyramid for "religious reasons". Hmmm..., ok.

But the only way this explanation fits Oak Islands A) unique location, and B) insane physical feats, is that we'd therefore have to assume it's some religious reason. If it were *secular* treasures involved, then presto, we can all agree that persons would be more inclined to simply hiding it from surface view and ... presto, it's hidden.

Ok, I'll bite, what's the religious reason ? Because most of the "lore" of Oak Island is simply pirate sort of lore (ie.: secular, not religious). Anyhow, good comeback reasonings !

.... My belief to this point is;
There has been small bits of treasure found throughout the island over the decades ....

I don't think that's an accepted premise. There's been CLAIMS of "small bits of treasure", but ... no ... this is not a given premise. For example, it's humorous in reading the evolution of the story, that ... at one earlier drill attempt, that supposedly "bits of metal" were on the drill bore bit. Then fast forward years or decades later, when that earlier "metal bits" was referenced, well now it's "gold chain link(s)" that came up in the bit. Hmmm, smelling a telephone game at play ? So any reference you can give to "small bits of treasure", I'll bet can have alternate explanations, and become suspect with scrutiny.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I learned two things:

First: I have to be very careful how to word my posts as it it seems more people are concerned with the verbage than the content.

Second: It was wrong of me to expect people to stay on topic. I Had a whole series of posts as well as articles and such as to try to nail down the lore, however, after reading every single post on this thread alone, it seems people are more concerned about who is right and wrong, rather than have a discussion about the topic.

I am disgusted. Lesson learned.

This thread is dead and I am throwing in the towel. Mods please delete or lock this thread thank you.

Must have never heard about opening that proverbial "can of worms" LOL

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... as for your analogy of Leprechauns under your house, I don't believe your story would ever catch wind coming from only one person and one angle, ....

You're pretty good. Ie.: a single person who says they saw leprechauns, or a UFO at 12 noon yesterday, is ignored and dismissed. But if 1000 ALL said "I saw a Leprechaun under Bud's bed" or 1000 people ALL said "I saw a UFO at 12 noon yesterday at such & such site". Then you can no longer write them off as Kooks, right ? Is that the angle of your stance here ?

Ok, then my comeback is that you're failing to take into account "treasure fever" psychology here. It's almost of a religious fervor nature. Like how hundreds of people *sincerely* believed in Jim Jones religious cult, ... to the point of suicide. Right ? Yet no one would suggest that simply because 909 people believed in something, therefore "makes it right" . We would all agree that they were duped, mis-led, wrong, etc... Eh ? In other words, there are often-time explanations for #'s of people.

In this case, Even the most hardcore believers are going to point back to the origin of a person, or perhaps two, who "saw such & such". Everyone else afterwards was going on what they heard from them, or read thereafter, etc.... Hence FAR from being a case of "1000 people who saw a UFO over a certain park yesterday at 12 noon", this is strictly a single person (or two or whatever). The "1000 sources" (links, books, articles, believers, dig attempts, etc....) you may allude to now (so-as to differentiate from Tom's leprechaun analogy) are NOT the original sources, witnesses

Hence sorry, this #'s explanation does not hold water.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
"The Tide Turns"...more and more...Could Oak Island hide Capt'n Kidd's Treasure?

Honestly I think Haute Island in the bay of Fundy is a much more likely hiding spot for Kidds treasure than Oak Island. Certainly when you consider his description of "Where the tides meet"...

Tide - Affairs of Men.jpg

"Where the tides meet" would be an excellent description for "Oak Island"!

Oak Island is located where the North Stream from the Labrador Current meets up with the Southern Gulf Stream, then into the North Atlantic Current.

Currents.jpg

For an Oak Island Pirate...It would be a Quick Hop on the Tube Express, back to...Jolly Ole England!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread