lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
www.ccriindia.org/pdf/02Historyofcoirindustry.pdf

www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/research-documents/discoveries/coconut-fibre/

Of these reports the Richard C. Nieman "letter to Oak Island Investors" of October 6, 1993 is quite telling. But, the paper dated September 30, 1993 (two pages) takes into account the adjustment for dendro calibration, giving a final maximum's dating of the fibre from 1036-1298 or as on the report page approx. 1229 AD.

After reading the above reports its quite obvious that during the time period indicated by the C-14 dating the only source for Europeans to obtain coconut fibre (coir) would be through contact with Arabic countries of the Middle East (or Western Mediterranean) region sometime between 1036-1298 (a maximum range) or closer to 1229 AD.

Last edited:

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading the above reports its quite obvious that during the time period indicated by the C-14 dating the only source for Europeans to obtain coconut fibre (coir) would be through contact with Arabic countries of the Middle East (or Western Mediterranean) region sometime between 1036-1298 (a maximum range) or closer to 1229 AD.

Assuming that it is, in fact, coir, and that if it is coconut fibre, that it isn't a species native to the New World.

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are over 120 species of the genus cocos - the coconut is one of them. There are a number of species that are indigenous to the Caribbean.

OP
OP
L

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are over 120 species of the genus cocos - the coconut is one of them. There are a number of species that are indigenous to the Caribbean.

I thought we were talking about "coconut palms", because there were no coconut palms indigenous to the Caribbean, or anywhere in the Atlantic Basin and coconut fibre is a product of the coconut!
Cheers, Loki

Last edited:

Pippin

Jan 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Loki personally I have no doubt that it was coir. There are too many experts involved for it to be anything but. However there's always a question. If the coir was used by the Templars why did they bury it under the sand and not just destroy it. I think I read somewhere that the coir was found under the sand layered with eel grass. Correct me if I'm wrong. Seems like a lot of work for no purpose.

OP
OP
L

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Loki personally I have no doubt that it was coir. There are too many experts involved for it to be anything but. However there's always a question. If the coir was used by the Templars why did they bury it under the sand and not just destroy it. I think I read somewhere that the coir was found under the sand layered with eel grass. Correct me if I'm wrong. Seems like a lot of work for no purpose.

There are a lot of theories, even on this forum about the use of the coir and eel grass, maybe some of those have validity.

Cheers, Loki

OP
OP
L

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The point of this thread is, that of all the strange information, stories and alleged discoveries out of Oak Island so far, the only one documented, identified, and accurately dated is the "coconut fibre".

Cheers, Loki

Pippin

Jan 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Loki I'm not asking about other theories. I'm asking for yours. If this coir is connected to the presence of the Templars and if they were intent to hide in New Ross, why wouldn't they destroy it. If they left it for others to find and those others buried it for whatever reason the Templars weren't exactly doing a good job of hiding their presence. If it was they who buried it they had a reason do so. So it was buried either by the Templars or others. Personally I believe if it was other people then these people would have brought it to Oak Island and not the Templars.

OP
OP
L

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Loki I'm not asking about other theories. I'm asking for yours. If this coir is connected to the presence of the Templars and if they were intent to hide in New Ross, why wouldn't they destroy it. If they left it for others to find and those others buried it for whatever reason the Templars weren't exactly doing a good job of hiding their presence. If it was they who buried it they had a reason do so. So it was buried either by the Templars or others. Personally I believe if it was other people then these people would have brought it to Oak Island and not the Templars.

Sorry Pippin, I don't have a theory for that!

Cheers, Loki

OP
OP
L

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
www.ccriindia.org/pdf/02Historyofcoirindustry.pdf

Coconut fibre | Oak Island Treasure

Of these reports the Richard C. Nieman "letter to Oak Island Investors" of October 6, 1993 is quite telling. But, the paper dated September 30, 1993 (two pages) takes into account the adjustment for dendro calibration, giving a final maximum's dating of the fibre from 1036-1298 or as on the report page approx. 1229 AD.

Btw, the second of these links is the actual letters between Oak Island investors and Beta Analytic, the company that did the carbon dating of the coconut fibre.

Cheers, Loki

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe a pre-Colombian packing material? Kinda like the styrofoam peanuts of today..

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to what is said by the museum where some of the actual fibres on display they are from the Caribbean

coconut-fibres.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread