Alternative Theory - Naval Stores - J.Steele - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Alternative Theory - Naval Stores - J.Steele

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2015
    367 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Sea level rise over the past 300 years
    Direct measurements of sea level using tide gauges began in Amsterdam in 1700. Additional tide gauges began recording data in Liverpool, England in 1768 and in Stockholm, Sweden in 1774. These gauges suggest that a steady acceleration of sea rise of 0.01 mm per year squared began in the late 1700s, resulting in a rise in sea level of 2.4" (6 cm, 0.6 mm/yr) during the 19th century and 7.5" (19 cm, 1.9 mm/yr) during the 20th century (Jevrejeva et al., 2008).

So about a 10" rise in sea level...hardly what Joy is speculating

Nov 2015
    1719 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadhse2 View Post
    You also said it could not be a salt works because of the slope of the bottom inside the cofferdam...yet that would have no effect on a salt works if it did slope...

Now "that flat bit of land inside the coffer dam"?

You can discount the salt works theory all day long, it is still the only one that has some known facts associated with it being so. Not speculation...
    As I have said... I find the salt theory completely implausible for many reasons. You are welcome to believe it...
    Live the moment...

Nov 2015
    1719 times
    Sea level rise over the past 300 years
    Direct measurements of sea level using tide gauges began in Amsterdam in 1700. Additional tide gauges began recording data in Liverpool, England in 1768 and in Stockholm, Sweden in 1774. These gauges suggest that a steady acceleration of sea rise of 0.01 mm per year squared began in the late 1700s, resulting in a rise in sea level of 2.4" (6 cm, 0.6 mm/yr) during the 19th century and 7.5" (19 cm, 1.9 mm/yr) during the 20th century (Jevrejeva et al., 2008).

So about a 10" rise in sea level...hardly what Joy is speculating
    Yep.. It seemed a hell of a big change. So what of her photo? Is there a reason that part of the world could change more then the average?

The thing I actually find most interesting is the soil liquidifcation theory to explain the water at 100ft. This to me has always been one of the big unexplained. Where did that water come from? This seems plausible but I do not know much about the process that causes this.
    Live the moment...

Nov 2015
    1719 times
    Sorry....nope..

The U shaped structure is pretty obvious to be a roof of some type, even to having some roofing planks and fascia board still in place...and they also show a overhang to direct water away from the side of the building, just as we do now.
    Really you think this is a roof? It does not look like a roof to me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	u-shape-close.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	548.6 KB 
ID:	1408893

So what do you think this was a roof of? Why was it buried under the ground?

So you also think some structure was built in the area that is meant to be the inside of the coffer dam?
    Last edited by gazzahk; Jan 30, 2017 at 07:48 PM.
    Live the moment...

ca
    Jan 2017
    Deus XP
    49 times
    Relic Hunting
    Robot I agree. Taking the pine trees to Oak Island would be foolish. Besides wasn't the island covered with oak? A tar kiln on Oak Island is just scratching for an answer.
    Robot likes this.

Nov 2015
    1719 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippin View Post
    Robot I agree. Taking the pine trees to Oak Island would be foolish. Besides wasn't the island covered with oak? A tar kiln on Oak Island is just scratching for an answer.
    Not covered in Oaks just a grove of Oak trees.. Mainly pines were on the island. But oaks were useful in naval stores too. She does not argue that only pine tar was being made there but a variety of naval stores ie ship masts etc..

My question re her theory is more if they were cutting down heaps of pines on the island where are all the pine stumps?

I can see setting up the processing on a small island near the main land. ie easier to get things on and off the ships, easier to keep control of the slaves, easier to keep the natives away and protect your operation, I would guess they would of also been bringing logs across from the mainland on barges if her theory is correct. It may also be the case that being an island there were subject to different laws/rules etc or simply that it was cheap to acquire.
    Pippin likes this.
    Live the moment...

us
    Mar 2014
    Garrett AT Pro
    1294 times
    All of this reinforces the fact that no flood tunnels have ever been found leading from smith's cove to the hoax pit area. The wooden pieces found near smith's cove were relics from the salt/tar kiln/fish drying/whatever operation was there.
    gazzahk and petetherocker like this.

Nov 2015
    1719 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    All of this reinforces the fact that no flood tunnels have ever been found leading from smith's cove to the hoax pit area. The wooden pieces found near smith's cove were relics from the salt/tar kiln/fish drying/whatever operation was there.
    Yep.. Definitely what I think. Some type of operation happened on OI at Smiths Cove BUT it definitely was not people burying the HOARDS OF THE KNIGHTS TEMPLER........
    petetherocker likes this.
    Live the moment...

ca
    Feb 2016
    Nova Scotia
    672 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippin View Post
    Well, it's a known fact that there was a sawmill on the island for a while. If people were willing to ship pine sawlogs to the island to be milled, I think that it would be safe to assume that people would have been willing to ship pine logs to the island to produce tar. Doesn't mean it DID happen, though. I just wouldn't discount the idea... I mean, the island isn't really that far off the mainland.

ca
    Feb 2016
    Nova Scotia
    672 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gazzahk View Post
    My question re her theory is more if they were cutting down heaps of pines on the island where are all the pine stumps?
    Pine rots quickly. Also, most of the island was cleared for agriculture, if I'm not mistaken.
    gazzahk likes this.

us
    Stretch

Jan 2017
    XP Déus & a Carrot!
    1097 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by gazzahk View Post
    Yep.. Definitely what I think. Some type of operation happened on OI at Smiths Cove BUT it definitely was not people burying the HOARDS OF THE KNIGHTS TEMPLER........
    I dont know what happened at Smiths Cove, hopefully we find out tonight.

But the burying of the Hoards of the Knights Templar was done in the Money Pit by the Freemasons... come on bud, ya gotta keep with us!
    Just playing with you. Couldn't resist.

Jan 2015
    Triad NC
    410 times
    Assuming the Finger Drains were made to produce salt, and granted I don't know how that process works with what we have seen being there in old photos but would it have not been easier to make salt by just boiling the water out which would kill any bacteria and then let what's left dry out.. Why go to the trouble of digging and building the drains and then covering them up and I also assume where ever the end of them is it's easily accessible to get the filtered water, to then still have to boil it down, or is that what is supposed to be happening in side the finger drains?? which you would then have to uncover to get to it and then recover for the next batch... I don't understand why anyone would go to all that trouble to filter sea water to make salt. Looks like a huge extra step in the process that isn't necessary.. Below is a simple process for making salt...
    gather salt water, pour it into a large pot through cheesecloth and/or a sieve to remove any sand or debris, and boil until 90% of the water has evaporated. Then pour the thick salt water (it should look like wet sand) into a shallow baking pan and leave uncovered for 3-5 days, stirring occasionally.

us
    Loki

Dec 2014
    Traverse City, Mi.
    1335 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by n2mini View Post
    Assuming the Finger Drains were made to produce salt, and granted I don't know how that process works with what we have seen being there in old photos but would it have not been easier to make salt by just boiling the water out which would kill any bacteria and then let what's left dry out.. Why go to the trouble of digging and building the drains and then covering them up and I also assume where ever the end of them is it's easily accessible to get the filtered water, to then still have to boil it down, or is that what is supposed to be happening in side the finger drains?? which you would then have to uncover to get to it and then recover for the next batch... I don't understand why anyone would go to all that trouble to filter sea water to make salt. Looks like a huge extra step in the process that isn't necessary.. Below is a simple process for making salt...
    gather salt water, pour it into a large pot through cheesecloth and/or a sieve to remove any sand or debris, and boil until 90% of the water has evaporated. Then pour the thick salt water (it should look like wet sand) into a shallow baking pan and leave uncovered for 3-5 days, stirring occasionally.
    While encamped for the winter near the Pacific Ocean Lewis and Clark could make between 3 and 4 quarts of salt a day using this process.

Cheers, Loki
    Last edited by lokiblossom; Feb 01, 2017 at 06:23 AM.

us
    Stretch

Jan 2017
    XP Déus & a Carrot!
    1097 times
    Metal Detecting
    Somewhere on this site was a really good doc about how the beach and box drains could be used for salt production.
    Salt was expensive back then and it made sense to make it here for the fisherman to salt the catches to make them last longer.
    Will see if I can find it, maybe one of you guys know where it is, or read it or even wrote it.

Salt or tar, I like salt idea better, does seem a better explanation for whats on the beach as opposed to "Flood Tunnels" for "Some Buried Treasure" right?

Jan 2015
    Triad NC
    410 times
    I understand they may have been used to make salt but why use them over just boiling the water out? As the Finger Drains sit or atleast what all the art shows them to be is enclosed box drains leading to 1 drain. Covered with coconut fibers to filter the water but if they have a top on them to enclose them the fibers only need to be where ever the water is supposed to enter them not all over the whole beach. They then still have to do something with the "filtered" water as it comes out the other end...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links