Alternative Theory - Naval Stores - J.Steele

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have just finished reading Joy's book. I would start by saying it is a very easy and informative read. Well worth the $12 for anyone interested in the Oak Island Mystery (It is only 120 page long only takes a couple of hours to read).

She gives some great back ground, insights and context of the era (also some cool photos).

Before I discuss her theory some other interesting things raised in her book in relation to previous discussions in other threads.

1. Rick Lagina needs to do some research. Dunfiled description of the finger drain finds seems a near exact math to what is shown in this old film clip(around 8-11 mins in )

fd3.jpg fd4.jpg fd5.jpg fd6.jpg fd7.jpg

dunfeild-fd.jpg

They must of seen this clip because they use cuts of it when showing Dunfiled in there TV show. They must know there is pics of finger drains. He should not be lying to his audience or he should sack his researchers/editors.

2. Fred Nolans theory is the British buried the treasure and it comes from the sacking of Harvana in 1762

3. As for no pictures of the stone cross here is one given by Joy and an old map that shows the money pit (another thing the laginas said did not exist didn’t they even read her book?)

stone cross.jpg map.jpg

Joys Theory

Her theory is that OI was used to make a variety of naval store products by a private company selling to the British navy. The labour used on the island was mostly slaves. The island had at least 3 Pine Tar Kilns. 1) The money pit 2) the cave in pit 3) Smith cove coffer dam

A tar kiln looked something like this

tar kiln.jpg
The Kiln is buried under ground and drained into barrels. The drains are also under ground (This is needed to stop the Tar catching fire as it very flammable. Under ground it had no oxygen to catch fire. The idea of the pit can be shown on this image (the oak tree/pulley was used to help raise and lower stuff into the kiln).

tar pit image.jpg

Her evidence is based around the shape, charcoal remnants, left over ground impression, location, need for the products, British documents that support this was being done in Nova Scotia (Very interesting background on the company that she is saying controlled the island).

Smiths Cove

She argues that the structure coffer dam was not a dam and that at this age this area was not under water. She offer this phot as collaboration of the rise in sea levels since then.

evidene of sea rise.jpg

The drains were draining the pine tar from the kiln and that is why they are buried under the sand/ rocks etc. All the U shaped structure etc was support for the Kiln

u-shape.jpg u-shape-close.jpg

She claims that this box sled is actually a tar funnel

box sled.jpg tar funnel.jpg

She points out that this is a reason that all the timber found in the drains etc is in such good condition as it was heavily soaked with pine tar a preserver of wood from the process. She quotes several “experts’ who are supportive of her theory

She also claims other evidence found may be that of making ship masts (she claims these were soaked in the swamp to season) etc as the Naval stores enterprise made many thins (This is interesting as it may fit with the recent article on softening coconut fibres as well — as Joys explanation for the coconut fibres is pretty poor in my opinion ).

coconut-fibres.jpg

She claims the reports of fires and lights on the island were people seeing the tar kilns flame up and explode as they often did.

Flood tunnel

She gives a very good theory to explain the water at 100ft — soil liquefaction caused by volcanic action and vibration in damp clayey soil. Basically some soil turns liquids’ and flows out to sea leaving a natural tunnel in the remaining soil.

liquid-soil.jpg

Initial Problems with Theory in my view

1. Is there really evidence that the sea level rose by that much over 250 years?
2. Why by 1790s had everyone in the area forgotten that there was a significant enterprise making naval stores on OI that was there until the 1750’s
3. Why did people think the lights were strange if they new heaps of people were on the island making naval stores
4. Is soil liquefaction real
5. She does not really explain the coconut fibres
6. She claims the chapels vault was so deep because the volcanic action caused the shaft to collapse a significant depth into the cavity’s below (is this a viable explanation).

This is just a start I hope some others will now join in with some more detailed discussion of her theory/views

Last edited:

sasquash

Nov 2, 2016
North of Quebec
Detector(s) used
Computers
Primary Interest:
Other
I have just finished reading Joy's book. I would start by saying it is a very easy and informative read. Well worth the $12 for anyone interested in the Oak Island Mystery (It is only 120 page long only takes a couple of hours to read).

She gives some great back ground, insights and context of the era (also some cool photos).

Before I discuss her theory some other interesting things raised in her book in relation to previous discussions in other threads.

1. Rick Lagina needs to do some research. Dunfiled description of the finger drain finds seems a near exact math to what is shown in this old film clip(around 8-11 mins in )

View attachment 1407658 View attachment 1407659 View attachment 1407660 View attachment 1407661 View attachment 1407662

View attachment 1407674

They must of seen this clip because they use cuts of it when showing Dunfiled in there TV show. They must know there is pics of finger drains. He should not be lying to his audience or he should sack his researchers/editors.

2. Fred Nolans theory is the British buried the treasure and it comes from the sacking of Harvana in 1762

3. As for no pictures of the stone cross here is one given by Joy and an old map that shows the money pit (another thing the laginas said did not exist didn’t they even read her book?)

View attachment 1407663 View attachment 1407664

Joys Theory

Her theory is that OI was used to make a variety of naval store products by a private company selling to the British navy. The labour used on the island was mostly slaves. The island had at least 3 Pine Tar Kilns. 1) The money pit 2) the cave in pit 3) Smith cove coffer dam

A tar kiln looked something like this

View attachment 1407665
The Kiln is buried under ground and drained into barrels. The drains are also under ground (This is needed to stop the Tar catching fire as it very flammable. Under ground it had no oxygen to catch fire. The idea of the pit can be shown on this image (the oak tree/pulley was used to help raise and lower stuff into the kiln).

View attachment 1407666

Her evidence is based around the shape, charcoal remnants, left over ground impression, location, need for the products, British documents that support this was being done in Nova Scotia (Very interesting background on the company that she is saying controlled the island).

Smiths Cove

She argues that the structure coffer dam was not a dam and that at this age this area was not under water. She offer this phot as collaboration of the rise in sea levels since then.

View attachment 1407667

The drains were draining the pine tar from the kiln and that is why they are buried under the sand/ rocks etc. All the U shaped structure etc was support for the Kiln

View attachment 1407668 View attachment 1407669

She claims that this box sled is actually a tar funnel

View attachment 1407670 View attachment 1407671

She points out that this is a reason that all the timber found in the drains etc is in such good condition as it was heavily soaked with pine tar a preserver of wood from the process. She quotes several “experts’ who are supportive of her theory

She also claims other evidence found may be that of making ship masts (she claims these were soaked in the swamp to season) etc as the Naval stores enterprise made many thins (This is interesting as it may fit with the recent article on softening coconut fibres as well — as Joys explanation for the coconut fibres is pretty poor in my opinion ).

View attachment 1407672

She claims the reports of fires and lights on the island were people seeing the tar kilns flame up and explode as they often did.

Flood tunnel

She gives a very good theory to explain the water at 100ft — soil liquefaction caused by volcanic action and vibration in damp clayey soil. Basically some soil turns liquids’ and flows out to sea leaving a natural tunnel in the remaining soil.

View attachment 1407673

Initial Problems with Theory in my view

1. Is there really evidence that the sea level rose by that much over 250 years?
2. Why by 1790s had everyone in the area forgotten that there was a significant enterprise making naval stores on OI that was there until the 1750’s
3. Why did people think the lights were strange if they new heaps of people were on the island making naval stores
4. Is soil liquefaction real
5. She does not really explain the coconut fibres
6. She claims the chapels vault was so deep because the volcanic action caused the shaft to collapse a significant depth into the cavity’s below (is this a viable explanation).

This is just a start I hope some others will now join in with some more detailed discussion of her theory/views

This is the documentary In the search of the money pit with Leonard Nimoy

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No time right now, but I will point out one thing...again....

The box drains were found, by Dunfield, to slant towards shore and end at the well/sump...so any liquid in them would flow into the well/sump...Not slanted out from the "kiln" (well/sump) to empty into anything.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No time right now, but I will point out one thing...again....

The box drains were found, by Dunfield, to slant towards shore and end at the well/sump...so any liquid in them would flow into the well/sump...Not slanted out from the "kiln" (well/sump) to empty into anything.
yep that is what she is saying. The Tar kiln was setup against the wall of what is thought to be the coffer dam. The tar would flow back towards the inland.

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To a 24' deep well?

From the way she explains the kiln works...doesn't make sense to me that tar would flow the distance of the finger drains to a deep well, and then what part would her wood box play, as she says the tar is drained from the kiln into the box and then into barrels from the box...

Her illustration of what is supposed to be a pit kiln with tar in it, shows a guy dipping tar(?) into a barrel and then it flows into a box....the opposite of what she says

Her idea on the pit kiln is ok, but why would there be a 24' deep hole it is stored in? The subsurface part would cool off and become one big chunk..

Last edited:

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
gazzahk...Unless I am greatly mistaken...or hard of hearing...Season 3 Episode 7 stated very clearly right from Fred Nolan's mouth what his "Theory" was...and unless he had a death bed confession to Rick...it was not.."2. Fred Nolans theory is the British buried the treasure and it comes from the sacking of Harvana in 1762"

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gazzahk...Unless I am greatly mistaken...or hard of hearing...Season 3 Episode 7 stated very clearly right from Fred Nolan's mouth what his "Theory" was...and unless he had a death bed confession to Rick...it was not.."2. Fred Nolans theory is the British buried the treasure and it comes from the sacking of Harvana in 1762"
In Joy's book she says that this is what Fred told her.

One would have to assume Fred found evidence of British naval/military presence somewhere on the island in his search for treasure. Maybe his notion of where those British come from changed a bit over the years.. He may of had a few different theories...

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To a 24' deep well?

From the way she explains the kiln works...doesn't make sense to me that tar would flow the distance of the finger drains to a deep well, and then what part would her wood box play, as she says the tar is drained from the kiln into the box and then into barrels from the box...

Her illustration of what is supposed to be a pit kiln with tar in it, shows a guy dipping tar(?) into a barrel and then it flows into a box....the opposite of what she says

Her idea on the pit kiln is ok, but why would there be a 24' deep hole it is stored in? The subsurface part would cool off and become one big chunk..
Yep.. The whole tar kiln in smiths cove seems to have quite a lot of problems. To me the biggest question mark is the claim that the sea level was significant lower and this part was not under water. She offers that photo as evidence.

I also agree that those drains seem pretty long to have hot tar flowing through. One would think it would cool down much quicker then that.

The money pit and the cave in pit seem more realistic for her theory than a tar kiln in the cove.

edit: I can 'sorta' see the U shaped structure does seem to look like the remnants of something that was made to support some type of structure on top of it rather then part of a coffer dam or drain system (going the wrong way to part of the dam and is not a drain).

Last edited:

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
In Joy's book she says that this is what Fred told her.

One would have to assume Fred found evidence of British naval/military presence somewhere on the island in his search for treasure. Maybe his notion of where those British come from changed a bit over the years.. He may of had a few different theories...

watch - Project Free Tv

Maybe...But at 5:40 into Season 3 Episode 7 he says specifically what his theory is!

I would believe what Nolan said live on TV over Joy...Which leads me to believe what "Idiot" would spend money on a Tar Kiln on a 140 acre island with limited Pine Trees.

Amazon...Review
This is a lot of reading for a theory that has more holes in it than Oak Island!
This book is a huge stretch of reality. Concerning the triangle of stones she calls a "benchmark": I was a surveyor; a benchmark is a fixed elevation or horizontal location, it is not a direction. A surveyor does not need to leave a monument pointing north because the North Star serves that purpose. North is easy to locate! If a direction needed to be marked a surveyor would use a line of stones, or two points not a triangle. This is just one example of the inaccuracies and stretched information in this book. There are many others that are far worse. This book has zero credibility. The possibility of real treasure on Oak island is far easier to believe than the story put forth in this book. There is a lot of verbiage in this book that has no purpose other than to add pages. There pages and pages of detailed information that do nothing to support the books weak theory that the Money Pit was just a place to make pine tar, the caverns a place to store slaves, and Nolan's cross was created by a Church that sold slaves.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
watch - Project Free Tv

Maybe...But at 5:40 into Season 3 Episode 7 he says specifically what his theory is!
True.. but even on the tv show they gave a different explanation of Freds theory when they found the English coins on S.Balls land a couple of episodes back. It is possible that Fred believed the treasure was buried by the British and had a few different theories as to what treasure they buried there. It seems he also told the Laginas at least two different versions of what the British buried there.. The interesting point is that Fred must of found some type of evidence of British (military) presence to believe that it was them that buried treasure in the pit. The British presence is consistent with Joys naval stores theory (Please do not mistake what I am saying for believing her theory is correct) I do not really think what Joy said Fred said to her and what the show has said are that incossitent. ie Fred believed the treasure was buried by the British - who knows where it come from for them to bury..

Which leads me to believe what "Idiot" would spend money on a Tar Kiln on a 140 acre island with limited Pine Trees.
I do not think these tar kilns are that difficult to make. They are basically just a whole dug in the ground lined with rocks. Like any forestry operation they were probably dug , used until the area cleaned then abandoned and more dug in the next location.. Having said that this is pretty inconsistent with the argument that Smiths cove was a tar pit. Building that beach was a significant effort when they could of just dug another hole on the hill. She is really clutching at the whole tar kiln in smiths cove part of her theory. Further to this like every other theory re Smiths cove (with the exception of the fish drying theory and the Coir softening theory) her theory really only needs the coconut fibre, eel grass rocks to be over the drains and not the whole beach (I cannot for the life of me think why you would need the cocnut fibres and eel gras over the drains for her coal tar theory actually. If the idea was to just keep the drain airtight).

She does raise an interesting point though. The U-shaped structure clearly shown in the photos is not consistent with any of the theories re smiths cove (other then possibly the ship dry docking theory). It does look like foundations foe some type of structure/building. (Maybe it was a public toilet for the slaves with the drains sitting under each cubicle and draining into a large compost pit:laughing7:...).

She may have a point that some type of forestry, naval stores operation was being conducted here but just wrong on the smiths cove bit (not saying I think this but just speculating here)

-Amazon...Review
This is a lot of reading for a theory that has more holes in it than Oak Island!
This book is a huge stretch of reality. Concerning the triangle of stones she calls a "benchmark": I was a surveyor; a benchmark is a fixed elevation or horizontal location, it is not a direction. A surveyor does not need to leave a monument pointing north because the North Star serves that purpose. North is easy to locate! If a direction needed to be marked a surveyor would use a line of stones, or two points not a triangle. This is just one example of the inaccuracies and stretched information in this book. There are many others that are far worse. This book has zero credibility. The possibility of real treasure on Oak island is far easier to believe than the story put forth in this book. There is a lot of verbiage in this book that has no purpose other than to add pages. There pages and pages of detailed information that do nothing to support the books weak theory that the Money Pit was just a place to make pine tar, the caverns a place to store slaves, and Nolan's cross was created by a Church that sold slaves.
This review in my view is a bit harsh. The book is actually quite a good read even if you do not agree with her conclusions (which I do not). She does give some quite interesting background and does raise some pretty plausible speculations in parts of her theory. She also does try to stretch other facts to make them fit her theory.

The bit I find the most interesting is actually her explanation for the water at 100 feet. ie soil liquidification I would like to know how likely/real this actually is.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sasquash - Thanks for putting up the In Search Of episode. I dont remember if I ever saw it back then.
That was a cool show back in the day!

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading it...I agree...a lot of fluff to get to nothing...

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading it...I agree...a lot of fluff to get to nothing...
I was thinking...

Speculation:

Assuming Joy is somewhat right about the lower sea level... It may bee that the 'coffer dam' was just a bank to keep out very high tides and that no/little water was in that area inside at all. There may have been a structure/building there. If there was a significant forestry/fishing/something enterprise happening they may of had a dock the other side of the coffer dam to load/unload stuff. The drains may have been simply to drain away what was happening on the flat bit of land inside the coffer dam (maybe some seepage to I suppose).

It may be the artificial beach has nothing specific to do with the drains....

(all pure speculation)

It may be the U shaped structure is remnants of the base of a loading/unloading crane to help transfer stuff to and from ships.

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry....nope..

The U shaped structure is pretty obvious to be a roof of some type, even to having some roofing planks and fascia board still in place...and they also show a overhang to direct water away from the side of the building, just as we do now. Pics also show the other end of those 45 degree up right rafter pieces cut to the same slope as the fascia boards to accommodate a ridge board. I have those pics but will have to ask if I can release them to you, via PM. There are also notches cut into the top of the rafters to let one side of the overlapped roof planks sit flat to the one below that it overlaps, just like a shingle would, without having to taper the whole roof plank. There are also other pics of the same type of roof construction being used in that part of the world from the time period, on fishing stations. The roman numeral hash marks are also indicative of a roof being built first on the ground, and then put in place on top of the building piece by piece, a method still used today by log builders to do the work in the easiest way, at walking ground height instead of harder to handle roof height in the air...cutting notches, drilling for pegs, etc etc.....Even with stick building now, we cut rafters on the ground, not in the air on the building because it is unwieldy to do so...

So anyway...that part is done for me....it walks like a duck, it looks like a duck, it is a duck...

Last edited:

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You also said it could not be a salt works because of the slope of the bottom inside the cofferdam...yet that would have no effect on a salt works if it did slope...

Now "that flat bit of land inside the coffer dam"?

You can discount the salt works theory all day long, it is still the only one that has some known facts associated with it being so. Not speculation...

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sea level rise over the past 300 years
Direct measurements of sea level using tide gauges began in Amsterdam in 1700. Additional tide gauges began recording data in Liverpool, England in 1768 and in Stockholm, Sweden in 1774. These gauges suggest that a steady acceleration of sea rise of 0.01 mm per year squared began in the late 1700s, resulting in a rise in sea level of 2.4" (6 cm, 0.6 mm/yr) during the 19th century and 7.5" (19 cm, 1.9 mm/yr) during the 20th century (Jevrejeva et al., 2008).

So about a 10" rise in sea level...hardly what Joy is speculating

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You also said it could not be a salt works because of the slope of the bottom inside the cofferdam...yet that would have no effect on a salt works if it did slope...

Now "that flat bit of land inside the coffer dam"?

You can discount the salt works theory all day long, it is still the only one that has some known facts associated with it being so. Not speculation...
As I have said... I find the salt theory completely implausible for many reasons. You are welcome to believe it...

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sea level rise over the past 300 years
Direct measurements of sea level using tide gauges began in Amsterdam in 1700. Additional tide gauges began recording data in Liverpool, England in 1768 and in Stockholm, Sweden in 1774. These gauges suggest that a steady acceleration of sea rise of 0.01 mm per year squared began in the late 1700s, resulting in a rise in sea level of 2.4" (6 cm, 0.6 mm/yr) during the 19th century and 7.5" (19 cm, 1.9 mm/yr) during the 20th century (Jevrejeva et al., 2008).

So about a 10" rise in sea level...hardly what Joy is speculating
Yep.. It seemed a hell of a big change. So what of her photo? Is there a reason that part of the world could change more then the average?

The thing I actually find most interesting is the soil liquidifcation theory to explain the water at 100ft. This to me has always been one of the big unexplained. Where did that water come from? This seems plausible but I do not know much about the process that causes this.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry....nope..

The U shaped structure is pretty obvious to be a roof of some type, even to having some roofing planks and fascia board still in place...and they also show a overhang to direct water away from the side of the building, just as we do now.
Really you think this is a roof? It does not look like a roof to me.

u-shape-close.jpg

So what do you think this was a roof of? Why was it buried under the ground?

So you also think some structure was built in the area that is meant to be the inside of the coffer dam?

Last edited:

Pippin

Jan 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Robot I agree. Taking the pine trees to Oak Island would be foolish. Besides wasn't the island covered with oak? A tar kiln on Oak Island is just scratching for an answer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions