Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello All,

Like many on here I'm pretty skeptical about the whole Oak Island thing. As a kid in 70's I read the old Reader Digest story and remember it being pretty elaborate with the 10 foot planks and drainage tunnels. I should probably look online it would be interesting to reread now. Of course I thought it was pretty cool and wanted to think something was there.

I find it pretty hard to believe that anybody would take that much effort to bury something and then place clues on rocks scattered within a 25 mile? range. Maybe there was something there originally, but I think it has a been a money raising scheme for over 200 years. Besides what better place to put Shakespeare's original manuscripts then 150 below the surface in area that will probably flood on a far flung island instead of in a fortified castle in Europe?

Anyways that being said, I have a watched a majority of the shows over the past few years, not expecting much and I haven't been disappointed. I have always wondered where they got that 7 must day legend they say at the beginning, I don't recall it ever being discussed.

Pete

oredigger62

Jun 12, 2013
Austinville Va.
Detector(s) used
Fisher goldbug 2
Garrett infinium
garrett AT-MAX
Garrett sea hunter mark 2
Fisher gemini 3 ( two box )
Equinox 800
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I AM NOT AN EXPERT ! But i think a writer in the 1970's included it in an article and supposedly it was the first time they could find it in print. I MAY BE WRONG . I have mixed feelings about this whole subject. I feel that these " flood tunnels " are naturally occurring cracks in the earth's bedrock and extend out into the bay and just how deep is the water table. I also am not convinced that they even have a clue about what treasure they are chasing. I first read the article in Boys Life in the early 1970's and that article had no reference to 7 must die. Others must know alot more than me because " island of oaks " does not mean absolutely oak island Nova Scotia... there is even an oak island in the Carolinas. Just way too many other possible reasons for every aspect of the hunt. I think thee "hatch" they referred to was the bottom of an outhouse. With technology today if we can tunnel under lakes , rivers , and oceans ... they could tunnel under the whole island. just my opinion. Lou

OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the reply Lou. I just went and reread the Readers Digest article, I still enjoyed it. I possibly could have first read about Oak Island in Boy's Life way back then, by the time I read the Reader's Digest article it would have been the probably later 70's. I might have specifically went to the library to find it, I don't recall now.

I also got my first metal detector way back then, too bad I took about 35 years off before getting back into the hobby.

I also agree the flood tunnels are probably just the water table, how deep do think it would be on a small island.

Cheers

Pete

oredigger62

Jun 12, 2013
Austinville Va.
Detector(s) used
Fisher goldbug 2
Garrett infinium
garrett AT-MAX
Equinox 800
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Pete ,
not sure where the water table would be. I always assumed it would be at or near the surrounding water level. I got my first detector back then too , an old jetco. It couldn't find a coin at the bank but i sure did scan a lot of grass with it. Michigan has some very nice places to search. I am currently just west of Cleveland. This town is having it's bicentennial this year and i live on one of the original roads for the town and the original cemetary is in my back yard... so it is going to be a busy summer . I think i narrowed down a location for the stash from the Blinky - Morgan gang too. Their hideout was just 400 feet from my house. Michigan has many similar tales. Take Care. Lou

Bud Aurum

Jan 6, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the best info I have seen on the legend...
Seven must die!... or must they?

2/11/2016

Blockhouse Investigations-Nova Scotia

​ By now most people have heard about Oak Island being cursed and that seven men must die before the mysterious treasure reveals itself. In fact the aptly named reality television show, The Curse of Oak Island, makes full use of the legend. But is Oak Island really cursed? And, if so, whom?​
​ Blockhouse Investigations has sought to answer those questions and, not surprisingly, like most of the legends associated with Oak Island, nobody seems to know. The mention of a specific number makes it a rather specific legend so one would think that somewhere there is a specific reference that could lead us to its origins.​We do know that a couple of authors writing about Oak Island have attributed it to famed Nova Scotia folklorist, Dr. Helen Creighton, but we’ve found no reference to it in either her published works or her archival material. There are a number of local anecdotes that allude to the island being haunted and that a ghost guards the treasure, but nothing about a curse. Some people say it’s mentioned in her 1957 book, Bluenose Ghosts, and some say it comes from her earlier, Folklore of Lunenburg County, published in 1950. But there is no specific seven must die curse mentioned in either.
One thing that Creighton’s work can tell us though is that the legend contains two very common folklore motifs: the magical number 7, and a treasure requiring blood to be shed in order to recover it. The former is almost ubiquitous in treasure and ghost lore- the other number being 3. And the latter is also a common theme that’s normally based on belief that blood was shed when the treasure was first gotten or when it was buried so therefore, it must be shed to recover it. Although several newspaper accounts over the past two centuries have made use of allusions to the island being haunted and/or cursed in some way, we’ve yet to find specific mention of the seven must die motif or information on the origins of the curse.

More info at The Blockhouse Blog - The Oak Island Compendium

Your Bud Aurum

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PullTabPete - First off, cool name!

I believe it was just added in to make OI more mysterious. Who did it and when, I don't know.
The lure of "7 must Die!!!!" makes hairs stand up on the back of your neck. With 6 dead, you are on the verge of the island giving up it's treasure. Well, that's how I see it.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, it was probably written after the Restall's family accident to help lure more people into the story and or a writer just thru it into his story to make it sound more appealling to his/her editor and to the reading public...

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course 7 have already died (one of the folks behind the scenes of the productions company either last season or the season before). Guess what....nothing was found after that.

Another made up story just like the entire oak island hoax....

oredigger62

Jun 12, 2013
Austinville Va.
Detector(s) used
Fisher goldbug 2
Garrett infinium
garrett AT-MAX
Equinox 800
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course 7 have already died (one of the folks behind the scenes of the productions company either last season or the season before). Guess what....nothing was found after that.

Another made up story just like the entire oak island hoax....

Fred nolen would have been number seven.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beware of the Curse.......

******* Seven Must Die While Searching For The Treasure On Oak Island *******
:goldbar: :gold-bracelet: :2barsgold: :treasurechest: :3barsgold: :goldtrophy: :nono:

petetherocker

Jan 20, 2015
Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and

if memory serves, there is also something to the effect of the treasure will only be found once all the oak trees have been cut down/removed. I thought I read somewhere there is only 1 remaining.

If you believe that kind of stuff.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Could the "Curse of 7 must Die" be attributed to the 7 Freemason Conspirators?

From my earlier posts:

the-curse-of-oak-island-featured-show-image-AB.jpeg

Could these seven Freemason Conspirators...Washington Shirley; George Anson; George Keppel; Augustus Keppel; William Keppel; George Pocock; and Benjamin Franklin;...through their "Greed for Gold" brought on "The Curse of Oak Island that Seven Must Die Before the Treasure will be Released"?

This may be confirmed by an old Pirate's Folk Song sung amongs't the Seafarers of Nova Scotia.

It goes something like this:

Seven men on Oak Island be...

brought their gold with all it's greed.

Seven men on a dead man's chest...

six are gone with one to rest.

Then this Treasure will be free...

from its curse cast'd by the sea.

Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum...

shiver me timbers for what's to come.

petetherocker

Jan 20, 2015
Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wtf...

From my earlier posts:

This may be confirmed by an old Pirate's Folk Song sung amongs't the Seafarers of Nova Scotia.[/COLOR]

yada, yada, yada

Seven men on a dead man's chest...

six are gone with one to rest.

How can it be an OLD PIRATE"S FOLK song when most of the six died in 1965.

Cassews

Dec 29, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett/White
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing.... I started recording it and watching it at a later date as no treasure has been found. I guess better things to do than watch a series that has no ending in sight.
Did not know that a person on the production area died tho.. Knew about Fred Noland (as that profoundly affected Rick). But its an expensive show to put on and in many ways I do hope they find something to pay the investors all back.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
angry_greg_head_explode_big.gif
I will be pissssssssssssssssssssssssed if they decide not to renew the show right after we see an episode showing them pulling something out of the ground, the crew starts going nuts with excitement, people are crying - and then they don't renew!

OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PullTabPete - First off, cool name!

I believe it was just added in to make OI more mysterious. Who did it and when, I don't know.
The lure of "7 must Die!!!!" makes hairs stand up on the back of your neck. With 6 dead, you are on the verge of the island giving up it's treasure. Well, that's how I see it.

Thanks Stretch. I was big a Underdog fan way back when - Ah Sweet Polly Purebread!

I figure it's just a marketing gimmick, never really knew the basis or legend of the 7, thought it be fun to hear some opinions.

OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fred nolen would have been number seven.

My guess is he wouldn't count see he died of old age, I think you need to die in hole or drown to count. Just my opinion

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I'd imagine if there was anyway for the 7 must die to be true it would need to be people actually in the search not laying in bed somewhere.. Also if it could be proven that the old pirate song was written anytime before the Restall's deaths it would atleast add to the lure of it all... I too have heard of the Treasure won't be found till the last oak tree is gone. That is what I heard first back in early 70's. The 7 must die I heard much later and maybe not till the show...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread