Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We're not even sure what treasure it may have been that was or was not lost and possibly later recovered anyway, or not.

So far, for evidence, we have some old wood in back-filled former treasure-hunter dig holes and a bunch of washed-up plant fiber.

Obviously it is the Amber Room buried by the Nazis.

But, granted, treasure myths and legends would be scarce if proof was required. Like any good religion - faith is required.

Last edited:

Smithbrown

May 22, 2006
Oh, for heaven's sake- I'm British- the mile is in yards, 1760 of them! And I was talking about today's mile, rather than mile of Times Past. And definitely not nautical.

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So the coir could be proof that Arabians were on Oak Island? ;-)

The coir is not proof of anything, did I say it was? I am sure the Arabians were well qualified, after all they had taught the Templars navigation techniques. But are there any stories of Arabian vessels leaving port for parts unknown in the early 14th century?

Cheers, Loki

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Loki, I listed many of the buildings on the Strand way way back http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/oak-island/443332-charing-cross-connection-3.html - far more than two.

But I do wonder if an English mile is different from an US one.

Yes you did, but the question was when were they built. I went through several old maps and never found anything definite. I have a quote that says when the Charing Cross was built there was nothing but open fields around it. I have been away for the subject for some time now, but am keeping an open mind on the buildings thing.

I think you know the answer to you question!

Cheers, Loki

Smithbrown

May 22, 2006
Fair enough Loki. There are no contemporary maps of London in 1300. You need to do basic research. You do not know how to. I trust my judgement. But not yours. End of story. And you wonder why a publisher won't take your book?

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fair enough Loki. There are no contemporary maps of London in 1300. You need to do basic research. You do not know how to. I trust my judgement. But not yours. End of story. And you wonder why a publisher won't take your book?

Are we talking about research or judgement?

Actually I have published several books all related to history. I have not presented this particular book to a publisher, but am now a publisher myself so I don't think it will be a problem.

As for maps of London c. 1300 you are correct there are none, at least that I can find, but there are earlier and later maps which I have researched.

For awhile I thought you were up to discussion, but now I understand your true nature, have a nice day!
I still find it hard to believe that you can't see somebody walking at a mile.

Cheers, Loki

Last edited:

Pippin

Jan 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Are we talking about research or judgement?

Actually I have published several books all related to history. I have not presented this particular book to a publisher, but am now a publisher myself so I don't think it will be a problem.

As for maps of London c. 1300 you are correct there are none, at least that I can find, but there are earlier and later maps which I have researched.

For awhile I thought you were up to discussion, but now I understand your true nature, have a nice day!
I still find it hard to believe that you can't see somebody walking at a mile.

Cheers, Loki

FWIW Loki I agree with you. I can easily someone a mile away.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
The coir is not proof of anything, did I say it was? I am sure the Arabians were well qualified, after all they had taught the Templars navigation techniques. But are there any stories of Arabian vessels leaving port for parts unknown in the early 14th century?

Cheers, Loki

Hi Loki. What are the navigation techniques the Arabs taught the Templars? Thanks.

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although, I still have not found a source that tells how early Charing Cross Nova Scotia received that name.

It didn't. Simple as that. There is not one map or contemporary reference to the New Ross area being called "Charing Cross". It is fantasy. Another fictional story you're spinning.

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It didn't. Simple as that. There is not one map or contemporary reference to the New Ross area being called "Charing Cross". It is fantasy. Another fictional story you're spinning.

Not fantasy, Caroline Leopold of New Ross wrote in her book of New Ross History that it was first called "Charing Cross".

I have a photo of a World War One gun emplacement on a large concrete pad at New Ross that has the word "Charing Cross" on it,

and I also have a later photo of a memorial for the gun emplacement at New Ross, that calls it Charing Cross.

Also in her own book, Joan Hope says the locals used to call the area "Charing Cross".

What motive is behind Raparee continuing to call this actual fact a fiction is questionable at best.

Cheers, Loki

Last edited:

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
So the coir could be proof that Arabians were on Oak Island? ;-)
Or the Norse. Or any other group that would have potentially had access to coir.

I suppose that the next question would be whether any of these people were known to have gone to Canada during the period of time in question.

But there I go with my "simple is better" philosophy again.

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Or the Norse. Or any other group that would have potentially had access to coir.

I suppose that the next question would be whether any of these people were known to have gone to Canada during the period of time in question.

But there I go with my "simple is better" philosophy again.

Although the Norse did venture into the Mediterranean, they were not there in the correct time period. Certainly the possibility of them being the culprit is there, but "simpler is better" and the Templars were there in the correct time period, did leave the Eastern Med. in the correct time period, did leave France in the correct time period and had the motives, i.e., escape and hide secrets!

Cheers, Loki

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not fantasy, Caroline Leopold of New Ross wrote in her book of New Ross History that it was first called "Charing Cross".

... and provided nothing to substantiate her claim.

I have a photo of a World War One gun emplacement on a large concrete pad at New Ross that has the word "Charing Cross" on it, and I also have a later photo of a memorial for the gun emplacement at New Ross, that calls it Charing Cross.

Named for Charing Cross in England, maybe? Or seeing that it is a WWI gun, maybe it had some connection with the WWI Charing Cross bunker in Belgium? There is as much evidence for these options as for yours.

Also in her own book, Joan Hope says the locals used to call the area "Charing Cross".

Also in her own book, Joan Hope reports seeing leprechauns and ghosts.

What motive is behind Raparee continuing to call this actual fact a fiction is questionable at best.

My Brother Templars and I are concerned that you are getting too close to our Grand Treasure, and I have been assigned to derail your progress by pointing out your shoddy research on an online treasure hunting forum. Obviously.

I challenge you for what's probably the third time... find me one period map that has the New Ross area marked as Charing cross.

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
... and provided nothing to substantiate her claim.

Named for Charing Cross in England, maybe? Or seeing that it is a WWI gun, maybe it had some connection with the WWI Charing Cross bunker in Belgium? There is as much evidence for these options as for yours.

Also in her own book, Joan Hope reports seeing leprechauns and ghosts.

My Brother Templars and I are concerned that you are getting too close to our Grand Treasure, and I have been assigned to derail your progress by pointing out your shoddy research on an online treasure hunting forum. Obviously.

I challenge you for what's probably the third time... find me one period map that has the New Ross area marked as Charing cross.

I don't know if there is a map or not, but not all settlements ended up on maps with their original name, if you knew anything about history you would know that. The things I mentioned are true, the gun was at Charing Cross (New Ross) and the plaque that said Charing Cross as well. Why would a historian, a respected member of the community, who was asked to write a history lie about it? And why are you so set against this simple truth? You can challenge all you want, I will answer in the same way, but the only reason I answer is for anyone who is truly interested in the whole story, certainly not you!. The village was first called Charing Cross, before it was New Ross.

Caroline Leopold history of New Ross in the county of Lunenburg, published for the committee in charge 150th anniversary of New Ross, 1966 writes "Charing Cross, the central section of New Ross, received its name in the early days of the settlement of Sherbrooke. The name is usually shortened to 'The Cross'."

Cheers, Loki

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread