Season 5

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree 100%, which is why I've been avoiding that word. Coir can apparently mean a couple of different things. I've seen it used when describing the fibers in a coconut's husk, the same fibers with some processing, and the finished goods made from those fibers. We sling it around a bit too freely here and, I suspect, the people digging holes on Oak Island have as well. I can understand why. "Coir" is fast to type, fast to say, and a bit mysterious. "Coconut fiber" is more cumbersome and a bit boring. However, I think that it's a more appropriate term - regardless of how the fibers at Oak Island were or were not processed, how they were used, or where they came from, "coconut fibers" is always accurate.

According to Wikipedia at least, "coir" means the same thing as "coconut fiber." If I'm understanding it correctly, it does not imply anything more than that...it's just the hairy part of the coconut. However, others have used the term in the case of Oak Island to imply more than that, and I believe that some confusion has resulted from that.

One other option that we know of. I haven't delved too deeply into this, but I was rather surprised when I discovered that coconuts were in the New World before Columbus was. I don't remember that being discussed on this forum since I've been here, but perhaps I missed it. Why did we just start talking about this recently? And more to the point, what other obvious things have we all missed until now? What less-than-obvious things have we overlooked?

You are correct and I did misuse the term "coir" in a sentence. Manufactured coir, would IMHO describe 'coir' that had been manufactured into something usable such as rope, mats, or packing.

I am rather surprised you think coconuts were in the "New World" before Columbus because they were first introduced into the Atlantic Basin by the Portuguese in 1499.
Cheers, Loki

Last edited:

Throbhammmer

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best part of this episode was Marty mentioning not finding anything and how that might affect his brother. I think the show is going to start sprinkling in more and more comments like this in order to let themselves off the hook a little more gently.

Also, wtf is the point of the younger Blankenship?

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best part of this episode was Marty mentioning not finding anything and how that might affect his brother. I think the show is going to start sprinkling in more and more comments like this in order to let themselves off the hook a little more gently.

Also, wtf is the point of the younger Blankenship?

In past seasons he was a comedy relief, but this season he hasn't said much.

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see that Triton Alliance recorded they had gone to 235 feet deep.

This Triton document excerpt sounds just like today's drill operation: http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/merged-1.pdf

During recent months, operations at Oak Island have been concentrated on drilling over forty holes. Several of these have reached depths of over 200'.

The drilling has been done by Becker Drilling Co of Calgary and has resulted in some additional information and more particularly about the horizon between 178' and 212' that was not previously known and has also confirmed some previous opinions regarding upper horizons.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They have two "Oak Island Researchers"one on their team he wears glasses and the other you see once in awhile.
Last night they go and find that "Official Document" about the honest man swearing he drill through Gold.
After 4 years of research or more ...just finding that now ...neither one of those guys ever heard of it ???.
I Call nonsense ???
WTF

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LORDY, dork boy found a "rawt oyen spoick"-----no flaking, no crud, just clean bare metal with some red at the end YUP, SURE, OK that MUST be from the 1600's :laughing1::icon_biggrin::tard::tard:

I dig 'em every year, all nasty & gross--- amazed he didn't find any "coyens" with his "professional treasure hunter" talent :laughing9:

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were found at 190 to 195 feet down.Further down than any previous "recorded" searchers have been
That is just not true and shows they are lying. There are multiple recoding's of searchers drilling these depths

The Blockhouse Blog - The Oak Island Compendium

In 1969 Tobias and Blankenship engaged Warnock Hersey to drill a series of holes. Their report (Warnock Hersey, 1969) indicates that Hole W9 encountered wood chips and highly plastic clay from a depth of 192 to 197.51 feet. From 197.5 to 198 feet, clay and a 2 inch thick layer of “red, silty brick-like material” was recovered. Also from 200 to 206 feet, a possible cavity was reported and the drilling return water from this zone was a different color and had a very stagnant odor.

Warnock Hersey Hole W8 (put down at the same location as Becker Hole B24) experienced significant lateral drift to the north based on an accurate down-hole survey in 2015. There was little resistance to drilling from 168 to 200.5 feet and limited sample recovery indicated the presence of loose silty sand. Blankenship (1969) reported that the hole encountered clay from about 178 feet to 204 feet

oak-island.jpg

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As of the the week before Thanksgiving they were still digging. Nothing you can say will make me believe that Marty is still pouring money into the ground in late November for hoax. They had enough film in the can for a season five well before November and yet they are still binging in heavy equipment. I am not saying they will find treasure but they have found the vault. It could be empty but thy have found something significant to the Oak Island story.
I do not think it is Marty's money that is being spent these days.....

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Triton document excerpt sounds just like today's drill operation: http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/merged-1.pdf

During recent months, operations at Oak Island have been concentrated on drilling over forty holes. Several of these have reached depths of over 200'.
And given that the document tells us that the drilling was being supervised by Dan Blankenship there is NO WAY the Laginas are not aware of it..

Any of the rubbish from higher up could of fallen down any of these shafts...

Montclaire

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is just not true and shows they are lying. There are multiple recoding's of searchers drilling these depths

I believe the point was that searcher tunnels did not go that deep, not that it wasn't drilled to 200' in the past. I want to say that was the initial comment, which may have been edited for effect by the 500th time they repeated the same thing during the episode.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Still Number One!...The Curse of Oak Island

[h=1]Tuesday cable ratings: ‘Curse of Oak Island’ and ‘WWE Smackdown’ hold steady[/h]The History Channel’s “Curse of Oak Island” landed on top with a 0.8 rating in adults 18-49, the same as what it had scored last week.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tuesday-cable-ratings-december-5-2017/

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a Little...Tea Pot...Short and Stout!

I am amazed that Laird Niven would stick his neck out and quickly identify these small pieces as late 18th Century Pottery.

Oak Island - h-8-pottery.jpg

"Looking through the spoils from H-8, Terry Matheson suddenly uncovered a tiny fragment of pottery…and then another one. As narrator Robert Clotworthy would say: “Pottery?! At 190ft?!”

Later in the War Room, archaeologist Laird Niven identified it as hand-painted pearlware likely from the county of Staffordshire in England, and which was imitating Chinese porcelain.
He dated it from the 1780s to the 1800s – so potentially just before the discovery of Money Pit.
But it was found deeper underground than any searchers have ever dug shafts before…so how on earth did it get there?"

This Pottery could easily be Staffordshire Stoneware - Salt Glazed!

"In the UK during the 17th century and 18th century high quality salt-glazed stoneware was produced in Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, London and Staffordshire. Salt glazed pottery was also popular in North America from the early 17th century until the early 19th century."

Teapot 1739-1755 Staffordshire  White stoneware - salt glaze.jpg

1739 - 1755

Last edited:

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=1]Tuesday cable ratings: ‘Curse of Oak Island’ and ‘WWE Smackdown’ hold steady[/h]The History Channel’s “Curse of Oak Island” landed on top with a 0.8 rating in adults 18-49, the same as what it had scored last week.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tuesday-cable-ratings-december-5-2017/

I'm just glad they haven't brought back that one lady who enthusiastically stated that the metal bracket they found was from a treasure chest instead of it obviously being used as a brace for an old searcher shaft.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just can't seem to stay awake...pretty exciting show! Maybe I can come here and see how it ends....if it ever does!:dontknow:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
an hour of:
rick, marty and the team
could it be that--------
let's go to the war room
have they finally uncovered______
let's go to the war room-----
rick, marty and the team
the drill hit--------------------- A ROCK-------------
let's go to the war room------
the Laginas have been----------------------
Minelab should pull clown boy---can't tell what's iron & what's NOT IRON
let's go to the war room, where rick, marty and the team_________________

an hour of a goofus narrator talking--- CAUSE THAT'S ALL THEY HAVE :BangHead: :dontknow::tongue3: :laughing9::laughing9::laughing9: :laughing1: :laughing1: :sad11::sad11::sad11: :icon_biggrin::sad5::laughing3: :tard::tard:

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
an hour of:
rick, marty and the team
could it be that--------
let's go to the war room
have they finally uncovered______
let's go to the war room-----
rick, marty and the team
the drill hit--------------------- A ROCK-------------
let's go to the war room------
the Laginas have been----------------------
Minelab should pull clown boy---can't tell what's iron & what's NOT IRON
let's go to the war room, where rick, marty and the team_________________

an hour of a goofus narrator talking--- CAUSE THAT'S ALL THEY HAVE :BangHead: :dontknow::tongue3: :laughing9::laughing9::laughing9: :laughing1: :laughing1: :sad11::sad11::sad11: :icon_biggrin::sad5::laughing3: :tard::tard:

Don't forget the regular head jerks and puzzled looks on people's faces when a piece of wood is taken out of a bag. The narrator will then say, "A piece of wood.............from an Elm tree..............on Oak Island?!"

Don't even get me started on the iron spikes. "An iron spike..............recovered from a ship..............and of all places, found on an island surrounded by water? How could this be?!"

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[FONT=&]I am amazed that Laird Niven would stick his neck out and quickly identify these small pieces as late 18th Century Pottery.

View attachment 1523941

"Looking through the spoils from H-8, Terry Matheson suddenly uncovered a tiny fragment of pottery…and then another one. As narrator Robert Clotworthy would say: “Pottery?! At 190ft?!”[/FONT]

[FONT=&]Later in the War Room, archaeologist Laird Niven identified it as hand-painted pearlware likely from the county of Staffordshire in England, and which was imitating Chinese porcelain.[/FONT]
[FONT=&]He dated it from the 1780s to the 1800s – so potentially just before the discovery of Money Pit.[/FONT]
[FONT=&]But it was found deeper underground than any searchers have ever dug shafts before…so how on earth did it get there?"

This Pottery could easily be Staffordshire Stoneware - Salt Glazed!

"In the UK during the 17th century and 18th century high quality salt-glazed stoneware was produced in Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, London and Staffordshire. Salt glazed pottery was also popular in North America from the early 17th century until the early 19th century."

View attachment 1523942

1739 - 1755

[/FONT]

As it is common knowledge that humans have visited as well as lived on this island for hundreds of years, the discovery of pottery or bones means “meh” in regards to mysterious treasures. As previously stated, with the mass amount of excavations performed at the island along with previous drill holes going to 200’ plus, anything found deep fell into the holes during the previous excavations/drilling.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread