vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
I agree Stretch. Right now - I find the commentator telling me what I just watched more irritating then the slowness of the show! :)

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
I agree Stretch. Right now - I find the commentator telling me what I just watched more irritating then the slowness of the show! :)

"Hey Marty this is Rick, those bones that came out of H-8 are human". [Commentator] "Human bones found in hole H-8? Will the team now tell Jack about their findings, and will Jack be excited about this key information?"

Next Scene:

"Hey Jack, this is Marty. The bone you found in hole H-8 is human". [Jack] "Oh wow Marty, that's great. I'm really excited about this news!"

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Hey Marty this is Rick, those bones that came out of H-8 are human". [Commentator] "Human bones found in hole H-8? Will the team now tell Jack about their findings, and will Jack be excited about this key information?"

Next Scene:

"Hey Jack, this is Marty. The bone you found in hole H-8 is human". [Jack] "Oh wow Marty, that's great. I'm really excited about this news!"
explode_big_head.gif

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next week's preview implies that the leather will be a book binding. When combined with the paper fragments, you have to wonder how much of any possible book will be left after all that drilling. How do they excavate the area if over-drilling with a large hole? A hammer grab would do quite a bit of damage.

The Templars connection raises the idea of it being a bible, but the 1600s would be long after Gutenberg already expanded the reach of the bible, and the font is different from the letter already found on the paper.

Hope Rick makes a full recovery - it can be a long process.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the searchers brought a book down with him into the search tunnels to read under a lantern while having his lunch. I used to do that all the time when inspecting the inside of concrete box girder type bridges instead of wasting half an hour to exit for lunch. Perhaps it was the same guy drinking tea down there.

Last edited:

Quisp

Feb 14, 2011
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Teknetics Omega 8500, Garrett GTA-1000, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought having human bones from possibly two different people come out of an 8 inch hole, 150+ feet down is unusual. That along with the readings during the induction test at the same depth. It does not mean there is treasure there but it makes you wonder what's down there.

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought having human bones from possibly two different people come out of an 8 inch hole, 150+ feet down is unusual. That along with the readings during the induction test at the same depth. It does not mean there is treasure there but it makes you wonder what's down there.

It's definitely interesting. The only issue I have is that those bones could've easily come from bodies buried 6 feet deep, but fallen further down into the ground after the various treasure hunters turned the money pit area into Swiss cheese.

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's definitely interesting. The only issue I have is that those bones could've easily come from bodies buried 6 feet deep, but fallen further down into the ground after the various treasure hunters turned the money pit area into Swiss cheese.

Agreed, but I'd think that the first searchers would have seen some of the rest of the bones of more than 1 body near the surface. But the Swiss Cheese theories could also support both graves dropping in from a collapsed embankment.

It does raise the possibility of a 'construction accident' in which part of the original crew met their fate in a collapse and couldn't be retrieved.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
For a bunch of "treasure Hunters" you guys sure are exuding a lot of negative Vibes

When did I ever claim to be a treasure hunter? If I were a treasure hunter, I would not be discussing Oak Island.

Now that you mention it, I've recovered more treasure than every Money Pit operation to date. On a small city play field. In one afternoon. I guess that makes me more of a treasure hunter than everyone that's taken a crack at Oak Island so far, but I don't think of myself as one.

gr88bd

Dec 11, 2017
Grove City, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, Divining Rods, brass pendulum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The possible shoe leather piece, the "book binding" scrap and the bones can be carbon dated . Further analysis of the book binding and any parchment fragments may shed light on the area of origin from the glue residue used in the binding process.
The DNA of the bone fragments may be to degraded to analyze, which would be unfortunate . Having a date range of the bones and a place of origin for those people would speak volumes about the operation.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is true that it is the only hole they have drilled that has shown anything so if they are going to dig somewhere it may as well be here... Its more likely than anywhere else... Still that does not say much. If there was treasure there a few more small holes would find it. They are only going to dig the big hole because the TV show. They cannot believe there is treasure there on the basis of what they have found.

Marty just wants to draw a line through the whole thing.

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is true that it is the only hole they have drilled that has shown anything so if they are going to dig somewhere it may as well be here... Its more likely than anywhere else... Still that does not say much. If there was treasure there a few more small holes would find it. They are only going to dig the big hole because the TV show. They cannot believe there is treasure there on the basis of what they have found.

Marty just wants to draw a line through the whole thing.

Great point. If they're getting a metal detection anomaly from the surrounding soil, then just drill another 5 holes around H-8 and see if you strike gold. I'm also sure if metal was detected using the instruments down the shaft, they could figure out which side of the hole it came from.

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, but I'd think that the first searchers would have seen some of the rest of the bones of more than 1 body near the surface. But the Swiss Cheese theories could also support both graves dropping in from a collapsed embankment.

It does raise the possibility of a 'construction accident' in which part of the original crew met their fate in a collapse and couldn't be retrieved.

Good points, but I just don't believe the original searchers were looking that hard for anything other than gold. Perhaps the bones were of early settlers (early 1700's) and had mostly decomposed by the time the first searchers came. For instance, I doubt if the Restalls or Dunfield sifted through every piece of wood-like material to determine its age or composition. Their focus was to find the treasure.

Montclaire

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For whatever reason most of the artifacts are concentrated in H8. It could be that they have actually found the vault. It could also be that spoils from previous digs followed a shaft or a natural void and collected in one area. It is a little odd that they are not finding smaller concentrations across the search grid though, you would expect to see a few hits elsewhere if there was a cache higher up that was disturbed.

I try not to be too critical because I am sure there are many discussions and decisions that are not shown on TV, but I would have sifted through every bit of the massive Dunfield spoil piles that were shown a few episodes ago before I did ANY drilling.

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For whatever reason most of the artifacts are concentrated in H8. It could be that they have actually found the vault. It could also be that spoils from previous digs followed a shaft or a natural void and collected in one area. It is a little odd that they are not finding smaller concentrations across the search grid though, you would expect to see a few hits elsewhere if there was a cache higher up that was disturbed.

I try not to be too critical because I am sure there are many discussions and decisions that are not shown on TV, but I would have sifted through every bit of the massive Dunfield spoil piles that were shown a few episodes ago before I did ANY drilling.

I'm also wondering if only visual inspection is performed of material that comes out of the various drill shafts, unless something of significance is found like the shards of pottery in H-8. For instance, is it possible that other pieces of bone (looking like wood) did exist in other spoils, but Jack didn't go through it with fine toothed comb like H-8? Perhaps he did, but it was edited out since nothing was found.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We'll guessing as to how good or bad they go thru each holes spoils. I'd like to think they are looking at them all or why drill them... Sure as you start to find anything out of the normal you start looking more closely at what comes out of that hole...

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We'll guessing as to how good or bad they go thru each holes spoils. I'd like to think they are looking at them all or why drill them... Sure as you start to find anything out of the normal you start looking more closely at what comes out of that hole...

Of course with the myriad of natural underground water caves on the island, things could have washed into the caves after being dumped at sea. It’s important to note that zero evidence of vaults has ever been presented. Only voids attributed to underground water passageways have been located...

Montclaire

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like they are bagging the spoils and labeling the hole and the depth. If something interesting turns up, either a void or something else, they focus on bags that were collected in/around that depth. Seems like a better method than last year's dozer scoop.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With Over 3 Million Viewers
Most Love It...Others here...Well Not So!
Well having watched it for so long it would be pretty silly to stop watching just when they claim they have found the "actual" pit. having said that the last episode was so boring. All that stuff with Rick being sick made pretty poor TV. I had to laugh when the bald dude pulled that little piece of rubbish out of his trough and the other dude goes "It looks like plastic".. I did not know the Knights Templar had plastic :tongue3:

They really need to speed up the dig and stop just wasting time.....

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course with the myriad of natural underground water caves on the island, things could have washed into the caves after being dumped at sea. It’s important to note that zero evidence of vaults has ever been presented. Only voids attributed to underground water passageways have been located...
And if not natural cavities...Other earlier searches tunnels. Remember when in season one they were "sure" they had located Chapels vault. But when they dug down they found it was just a previous searchers tunnel. It is easy to believe that Chapel had the same experience ie what he thought was a "vault" was just and earlier searches abandoned tunnel.

But the point is the same. There has been no evidence of treasure EVER been found below about 10 ft (The unproven story of the sisters). Out of the numerous efforts over hundreds of years not a single gold coin has been shown to have been pulled out of the ground...

It is truly fascinating as to why people think treasure is actually there......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread