Season 5

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bummer of a show last night. The "Families of OI" was a better hour of wasted time.
Rehash and more rehash without eggs or toast. They are def running out of stuff to show us and the ability to drag this on forever.

They make out the U shaped object to be new yet they have some real nice pics of it. Why go out and start digging that up at the end of the season? Oh yea... a way to drag us into Season 6. Dan thinks it was built by the original depositors. Ummm, maybe something tied to a dock or something? Def not a flood tunnel system.

The 500 year old Ruby? Lost Crown Jewel? Capt whatever his name was? Keep speculating everything as it didn't fit in with the Templars. No... to tie them in for this episode they drive 50 miles north to the family of someone who ran Dunfields crane and he had a really old piece of wood. Gotta be from the money pit! First thing Rick does is smell it. I was ROFLMAO! These guys LOVE to smell wood! That wood turned out to be what? 1600 - 1700 like everything else they find. Gotta be Templar!

Next week I am gonna paint a wall while the shows on and split my time between the finale and watching paint dry. Should make a poll on what would be a better watch. I'm thinking the paint will win hands down.

Oh yea, i forgot about Mike the diver. Couldn't stay on the bottom to test the metal plate blocking the treasure that has been 150' down for 4 1/2 seasons. somehow all the holes they drilled has created an air pocket that has floated the "Chappel Vault" up to 70'. Should be easy to get out the can opener, rip that top off and pull out the Arc, Chalice, gold coins, crown jewels, Shakespeare works and Mr Bacon himself. They can fit that in after the rehash and re-rehash, right?

Last edited:

TN13

Feb 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tonight's episode was interesting. It is a pity it has taken them 16 episodes to decide to dig up the U shaped structure. It is a real shame they have just put it off to justify another season. I would love if they could answer whatr exactly was its purpose and who put it there... Still I'd place a pretty hefty wager is was not treasure hiders building a flood tunnel system... I am disspointed they did not do that this season rather then all the wasted boring stuff they have shown us.

I read someone's theory online (a long and thorough paper) that concluded there was most likely a salt production facility there back when salt was still a commodity (~1700's?)
This is enlightening and a bit of a wet blanket for any dreamers still watching:http://www.criticalenquiry.org/oakisland/Dennis_King_Mar_2010.shtml

This is an excerpt from another salt production theory:

Aside from possible shipping use, there is another interesting and plausible suggestion for man-made structures in Smith’s Cove. The production of salt from sea water.
Salt was important back before the invention of refrigerated shipping for preservation of perishable cargo, especially fish (King 2010). The first recorded owners of Oak Island were Gifford and Smith, two New York fishing agents in 1753 (King 2010). As salt was both an expensive and important part of the fishing industry, its perfectly acceptable that Gifford and Smith were also manufacturing their own salt. More support of this is in the shape and location of the five finger troughs that are found in Smith Cove (King 2010). There is also evidence of boiling pits used in the manufacture of salt and this whole process easily explains the presence of the artificial beach created by the cofferdam (King 2010).

Last edited:

TN13

Feb 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yea, i forgot about Mike the diver. Couldn't stay on the bottom to test the metal plate blocking the treasure that has been 150' down for 4 1/2 seasons. somehow all the holes they drilled has created an air pocket that has floated the "Chappel Vault" up to 70'. Should be easy to get out the can opener, rip that top off and pull out the Arc, Chalice, gold coins, crown jewels, Shakespeare works and Mr Bacon himself. They can fit that in after the rehash and re-rehash, right?

I'm still holding out hope that the 500 year old knight from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is down there. "You chose...poorly".

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here’s an article from 2003 where Dan Blankenship states that he found the treasure but could not get a license to dig it up...why didn’t he just show the laginas where the spot was?

Treasure Hunted Says He's Solved The Oak Island Puzzle

I read that a couple years ago... best parts below:

"He's never recovered a dime's worth of treasure, but the robust 80-year-old said that with the new information he's gathered, the riches could be brought to the surface within seven months."

"If Mr. Blankenship is granted a licence, he said that he could use a rotary drill to confirm the presence of the tunnels and within seven months could recover the treasure."

So Rick and Marty have tons of $$$ and I would guess the License yet we have squat, boopka, nada to show...

gr88bd

Dec 11, 2017
Grove City, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, Divining Rods, brass pendulum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tonight's episode was interesting. It is a pity it has taken them 16 episodes to decide to dig up the U shaped structure. It is a real shame they have just put it off to justify another season. I would love if they could answer whatr exactly was its purpose and who put it there... Still I'd place a pretty hefty wager is was not treasure hiders building a flood tunnel system... I am disspointed they did not do that this season rather then all the wasted boring stuff they have shown us.

That pic of Dunfeilds hole should show them how steel got that deep. I really do not know what they think the diver will tell them..

I cannot believe they find an old piece of jewelry and suddenly the Mary Antonnete story is dug up... Even if it is a valuable ruby it still could of been dropped by anyone. It was not set in Gold or other precious metals... Hardly much in the way of treasure.. If that is their big seasons find then I am very disappointed...

They get everything else tested but their piece of lead has been left in Gary's pocket.... It is pretty terrible they have spent weeks of episodes playing it up.. and now they do not even mention it. They get the timber of to the UNI straight away...

The preview of next week did not look that promising. I am glad it is the last one.. I am pretty sick of this whole season. They just have done nothing....
Ive said it before, the ruby is from Ricky Restalls toy gun set ... you can tell its a paste reproduction from the number of facets it does not have , and its in very cheap pot metal .
The U shaped structure is a wharf simply because the water between the island and the mainland isn't deep enough to allow a ship of any size to sail into it.
I won't speculate what it was used for, because that part of it doesnt interest me at all

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These ten 9x7mm lab rubies are faceted in a rectangular cut-corner radiant cut. The color is a nice ruby red. Excellent perfection. The average weight is 3.00 ct. Priced at $29/ct. Price shown at right is per gemstone. $87.00

We have nine "pigeon's blood" red 9mm lab-created trillion rubies available. Excellent clarity. The average weight is 2.94 ct., priced at $29/ct. The price shown is per stone. $85.26

Cut-corner radiant cut with a Portuguese brilliant flower cut pavilion in a 8-mm square/octagonal shape. We have 10 lab-created rubies available at this size. They are deep red (pigeon's blood) color and very clean. The average weight is 3.07 ct, priced at $29/ct. The price shown is per gem. $89.03

https://geolite.com/ruby.htm

Not that I don't trust them.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During the final meeting in the war room last night, it was obvious a couple of the team were doing all that they could to keep from bursting out laughing...

TN13

Feb 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Bobby's gun was plastic, wouldn't the ornamentation on the holster belt be plastic also, not any kind of metal? I know plastic was not used in toys until the 50's? but since the gun was plastic...

TN13

Feb 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During the final meeting in the war room last night, it was obvious a couple of the team were doing all that they could to keep from bursting out laughing...

There was also the clip from next week's episode that shows a bunch of items laid out on the table, one of them says "there IS treasure on oak island". But wasn't that all the crap and non-valuable junk they dug up on previous episodes?

The ONLY reason I'm tuning in next week is to see what Marty was referring to in the season 5 trailer with his "Not only did we find the money pit, the money pit is real" quote. Probaby more bait and switch but what's one more hour of wasted time?

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ONLY reason I'm tuning in next week is to see what Marty was referring to in the season 5 trailer with his "Not only did we find the money pit, the money pit is real" quote. Probaby more bait and switch but what's one more hour of wasted time?

I'm still waiting to see what all doors were opened that were referred to in this week's teaser episode.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Bobby's gun was plastic, wouldn't the ornamentation on the holster belt be plastic also, not any kind of metal? I know plastic was not used in toys until the 50's? but since the gun was plastic...

No....in the good ole days, toy guns were made of metal along with accessories.....In the 50's and 60's, injection molding low cost metal alloys was cheaper than plastic.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was also the clip from next week's episode that shows a bunch of items laid out on the table, one of them says "there IS treasure on oak island". But wasn't that all the crap and non-valuable junk they dug up on previous episodes?

Holding my breath in anticipation........................

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Maybe it was one of the 100,000 other "Bobby's", or "Bill's", or "Brian's" who played on the island? That island has been a tourist stop for decades. Don't fall into the "Civil War Mindset" and think that because a region had a Civil War Battle that EVERY object on or in the ground was dropped there then.

pit-2.jpg

Oak-Island-Pit.jpg

gr88bd

Dec 11, 2017
Grove City, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, Divining Rods, brass pendulum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gun was metal , picked up by the mine lab 30-30 by Gary

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read someone's theory online (a long and thorough paper) that concluded there was most likely a salt production facility there back when salt was still a commodity (~1700's?)
This is enlightening and a bit of a wet blanket for any dreamers still watching:Dennis King's article on the "Finger Drains"

This is an excerpt from another salt production theory:

I may be wrong but doubt that anyone extracting salt from ocean water would use both the boiling down method and the coconut filter method at the same time and at the same location... Boiling down method I would think would be much easier and cleaner then having to filter the water thru the coconut fibers and then separate the salt from them..

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please lets not go on about the ridiculous salt theory again. That has been debunked so many times.... (Here is a recent post I made on this subject http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/o...ven-documented-information-3.html#post5708124)

The point is that something was done at Smiths Cove. The Laginas know this. They have known this from season one. There are multiple photos of the dug up Smiths Cove

scaerial-1024x747.jpg

longlogs.jpg

source: Smith?s Cove ? a closer look at Oak Island?s artificial beach | Oak Island Treasure

Why have they left an investigation for the very end of this season... There is NOTHING about this piece of old structure that supports treasure at OI. I do wish they had given some discussion to what it may have been used for. J.Steele in her book speculates it was part of a naval Stores opersation on the Island..

Still what about there lead cross? That was the reason given for digging the Cove in the first place. They did not mention it again. They have not tested it...

None of the wood they have tested fits with their Knights Templar speculation. It does fit with J.Steele naval stores theory (Not saying I agree with her but do think her basic argument is theoretical consistent with the evidence).

Really the only evidence at all of something actually taking place pre treasure seekers is Smith Cove (and possibly the stakes found in the swamp by Fred)..

BUT none of that supports treasure still being buried on OI.

I am interested in what Smiths Cove was used for. I am disappointed they have never invited J.Steele on the show to share her theory (She is a local historian with vast experience of the island). But they will bring in any Looney that has a treasure story no matter if they do not even know where OI actually is...

One epsidoe left... They have shown nothing in the first 16 to support any of their treasure stories....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread