OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all the evidence the team have been able to compile thus far points to it being AT LEAST 600 years old, if not older
My understanding of testing lead (limited as it is) all you can establish is the date the lead was first smelted not the age it was melted last. So the most they could establish is that the lead was first made 600 years ago.. Not the cross was made. If someone melted a 600 year old musket ball and made the cross 20 years ago they would not be able to establish.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Describing the cross as “extraordinary”, he said: “I think the cross that we found, which was extraordinary and we’re still doing testing on it — we can’t seem to find any evidence of a cross of that shape or construction that is any more recent than the 1300s or earlier....
If the dating they are doing is based on this line of reasoning.. Then that is not testing it is just unsupported assertion/speculation. As far as I have seen they have not even established that it is a cross and not just a cross shaped piece of lead that fell of something else... A more plausible reason of why they cannot find other crosses like that is because none we ever made..

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Get The Lead...Out!

If the dating they are doing is based on this line of reasoning.. Then that is not testing it is just unsupported assertion/speculation. As far as I have seen they have not even established that it is a cross and not just a cross shaped piece of lead that fell of something else... A more plausible reason of why they cannot find other crosses like that is because none we ever made..

Following this Thread...http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/575165-i-just-knew-someone-would-do.html

Someone appears to have found a similar cross on the beach of Lake Ontario...Canada.

Cross - Lead.JPG

Could there have been a "Mass Production" of this Cross?

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo

While the size appears to be about the same and the asymmetric arms are intriguing, the two crosses are different enough to make me think that they weren't made by the same person, or at least not from the same mold. Namely:

The Oak Island cross's arms are lined up well with each other. The Niagara cross is not, and appears to be of lower overall quality.

The Oak Island cross's hole appears to have been punched with something having a square cross section. The Niagara cross's hole seems to have been punched with something round. It is even possible that the hole is as-cast, but I would expect the edges to be more rounded if that was the case.

In both cases, the craftsmanship is pretty much garbage. They both look like things made by children. That's the most curious thing about these for me. I'd expect someone going through the trouble of making a symbol representing the creator of their universe and the savior of mankind to spend another minute or two at least making the thing roughly symmetrical.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
My understanding of testing lead (limited as it is) all you can establish is the date the lead was first smelted not the age it was melted last. So the most they could establish is that the lead was first made 600 years ago.. Not the cross was made. If someone melted a 600 year old musket ball and made the cross 20 years ago they would not be able to establish.

I'm not sure that lead can be reliably dated at all, but I'm only familiar with radiometric dating. Is there another way to date it besides forensic evidence?

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ark of the covenant is buried there i tell ya.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
The other way I read they can date lead artifacts is voltammetry analysis

https://cen.acs.org/articles/89/web/2011/06/Lead-Artifacts-Reveal-Age.html

They claim it is accurate to 150 years..

They're peddling horse apples. Dating an object based on corrosion is accurate for one item, in one exact place, at one exact time. It cannot be extrapolated to other artifacts.

Not trying to be an ass, but I'm a detectorist. Assuming that two items of the same or similar metals will corrode the same way in anything other than an extremely controlled artificial environment strikes me as folly. I may be talking out my rear end here, but this approach seems logically flawed.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're peddling horse apples. Dating an object based on corrosion is accurate for one item, in one exact place, at one exact time. It cannot be extrapolated to other artifacts.

Not trying to be an ass, but I'm a detectorist. Assuming that two items of the same or similar metals will corrode the same way in anything other than an extremely controlled artificial environment strikes me as folly. I may be talking out my rear end here, but this approach seems logically flawed.

You may be right. It is not a subject I have any first hand knowledge of..

If you google it (voltammetry analysis for dating lead) there are lots of reputable sources

For example

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.469.8045&rep=rep1&type=pdf
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21604737
Measurement of corrosion content of archaeological lead artifacts by their Meissner response in the superconducting state; a new dating method - IOPscience

Still I do not know anything about dating stuff so am only basing this on what comes up when you search for how to date lead objects.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found a similar cross on the beach of Lake Ontario...Canada.

Ha ha... They will find they where made and worn by some Canadian Christian group at some point of modern history...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread