Persistent Claims of a Hoax

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you! Credibility over dollars....

We had “piles” of research on various “documented” treasures, everything from valuable Spanish possessions to scientific data regarding the seemingly random occurrence of the largest known gold nugget discoveries, which actually turned out to be not so random. It was with all of this that we were going to set out in pursuit of them, both from a continuing research aspect as well actual hunts in what that research determined was the best location, strategy, method, etc. As we proceeded we were going to offer all of that research and history along the way. “Keeping it is real and as factual as possible.”
The show was going to be tentatively called, “Treasures Across America” or something of that nature, we still hadn't firmly settled on anything certain with three or four such titles still being considered.

Some of that “documented” research and history was absolutely amazing and we had decided that even if we had to produce it ourselves under the Youtube platform then that is what we were going to do if that was the only way to keep it real and factual. I'd still entertain doing it today though after the widow maker my role would be smaller as my legs just can't hold up and my chest just can't handle the pressure of the altitudes now. But I would still love to do it. What a “true reality based” grand adventure that would have been. Of course, the odds of actually finding any of it is quite small so would it have latched on with any measure of staying power? Hard to say but only one way to find out. :dontknow:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you toss Peter Amundsen into the discussion then "anything becomes possible." He is very creative. But when people want to believe in such conclusions then they are going to create ways to continue believing "despite the contrary evidences." So not even any real point to trying to present or debate those contrary evidences with them. "There are many perfectly reasonable explanations for that hole at Oak Island. Why have these people never entertained them with equal consideration?" Because they want to believe in something fantastical.

I agree with Petter Amundsen no matter what you say or do. His research is passed on everything that encrypted messages that were written by scholars in the early 17 century. I have never seen any facts you have posted on anything. I do not believe you can agree with anyone. So we will agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One fact remains the shaft was there and constructed by the best of engineers of their time. Who did all this work in a desolate location, the New World was just being settled. We then have to look to the people that were in charge of the colonization and there we will find the answers. Surely Indians or pirates did not do this construction? Who layed out five stones, weighing 8 to 10 tons each, in a perfect Cross formation and has just lately been proven to be a "Tree of Life" by Peter Amundsen and the latest technology gps of our time.

No evidence of a deep shaft with oak platforms has ever been presented. In another thread someone mentioned that a previous outhouse hole may have been found...

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is just like all of that huge KGC treasure that is buried everywhere, all from credible source materials as well, I suspect. "If people want to believe in the fantastical then they will find and create ways to believe." BUT, that still don't make it real. So yes, certainly agree to disagree on what constitutes a fact.

gr88bd

Dec 11, 2017
Grove City, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, Divining Rods, brass pendulum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who layed out five stones, weighing 8 to 10 tons each, in a perfect Cross formation and has just lately been proven to be a "Tree of Life" by Peter Amundsen and the latest technology gps of our time.

Im betting it was Nolan that laid them out and drug them to their locations .... He started surveying there in 1961 for other searchers ... only after he had acquired land on the island was the cross "discovered" in 1981 ..... 4 of the 5 stones are on his property . What a coincidence .....

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For all of you who keep asking for proof that there was timbers every 10', that the original 3 did find something, Samuel Ball did find something, etc etc. You know before you even type that in there is no way for anyone to prove that.. Even if someone have a layer of those logs you'd then say prove they are the ones, again knowing there is no way to prove it.. How do the families now 100's of years later prove their keen found treasure. Do you think it hasn't been spent long ago.. The better question is why didn't Fred Nolan keep the 3 chests he claims he found in the swamp...

gr88bd

Dec 11, 2017
Grove City, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, Divining Rods, brass pendulum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For all of you who keep asking for proof that there was timbers every 10', that the original 3 did find something, Samuel Ball did find something, etc etc. You know before you even type that in there is no way for anyone to prove that.. Even if someone have a layer of those logs you'd then say prove they are the ones, again knowing there is no way to prove it.. How do the families now 100's of years later prove their keen found treasure. Do you think it hasn't been spent long ago.. The better question is why didn't Fred Nolan keep the 3 chests he claims he found in the swamp...

Look , This Samuel Ball Guy lived on the island at a time when it was sparsely inhabited , even if he found a minor chest of coinage, gems, what ever ... there was really no one else on the island to stop him from poking around all over the island ... after all he bought a few more lots and a small neighboring island ... He must have had some really kick ass cabbage and I bet he used the finger drains to draw the seawater in to make salt for his sauerkraut brand. If he found it ... cheers to him. My mind is not 100% made up on Mr. Nolan's credibility .. he did use some slick points of law to take possession of a few lots on the island , he handed over the survey drawings, but not his notebooks to interpret the drawings with, he skewed survey boundry lines to include artifacts he thought was important, built the first OI museum in the middle of the only road access to spite Blankenship and Dunfield , took several of the carved stones off the island and cemented them into the floor of the museum , made claims about finding ship parts in the swamp when it wasnt a swamp at the time , found wood survey stakes that dissapeared, claimed to have found 3 empty chests, also dissapeared ....Other than that , he was an all around swell guy .

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im betting it was Nolan that laid them out and drug them to their locations .... He started surveying there in 1961 for other searchers ... only after he had acquired land on the island was the cross "discovered" in 1981 ..... 4 of the 5 stones are on his property . What a coincidence .....

I'll bet you did not know that Fred Nolan found gold coins under one of those stones. He did not know about the alignment of the stones other than they had formed a "cross" Petter worked out the measurements and found two of the other five stones, exactly on the spot where he had calculated them to be.

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are strange things done under an Acadian sun

by the Pirates who bury their gold...

Oak Island’s shores have their own secret lores

that would make your blood run cold...

The Island’s lights have shown such sights,

but the strangest there ever will be...

Is when treasures abound, are the treasures found

proving anything's possible... you see!

View attachment 1558649

Robert Service is spinning in his grave.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll bet you did not know that Fred Nolan found gold coins under one of those stones. He did not know about the alignment of the stones other than they had formed a "cross" Petter worked out the measurements and found two of the other five stones, exactly on the spot where he had calculated them to be.

You mean, he "allegedly" found gold coins under one of those stones. But I'm sure that is well documented by credible source.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
You mean, he "allegedly" found gold coins under one of those stones. But I'm sure that is well documented by credible source.

He did find and record, along with other items...Parts making up a Wrought Iron Stove buried underneath one of these massive boulders!

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He did find and record, along with other items...Parts making up a Wrought Iron Stove buried underneath one of these massive boulders!

Uuuhhh...Ok, he found scrap left around after hundreds of years.......but where is the proof that he found anything significant?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good, and the dates on those gold coins were, what? What was their make? And a wrought iron stove, or parts of, establishes what, exactly? Look, ok, there is a huge roman/templar/whatever treasure somewhere on Oak Island. If that's what you want to believe, you will. The show is counting on it.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One fact remains the shaft was there and constructed by the best of engineers of their time. Who did all this work in a desolate location, the New World was just being settled. We then have to look to the people that were in charge of the colonization and there we will find the answers. Surely Indians or pirates did not do this construction? Who layed out five stones, weighing 8 to 10 tons each, in a perfect Cross formation and has just lately been proven to be a "Tree of Life" by Peter Amundsen and the latest technology gps of our time.
In Joy Steels book. She believes the Stones were moved by The Jesuits. Her theory believes this group were in charge of the naval Stores operation and the whole operation was done using slaves. Thus all the work on Smith Cove, Nolan Cross etc was carried out with slave labor... (I do not know why you feel anything on OI was conducted by the "Best Engineers of the time)...

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The better question is why didn't Fred Nolan keep the 3 chests he claims he found in the swamp...
That is interesting in that I have read that before but it has never been mentioned by the Laginas. When they talked to his son the "most amazing" thing he had that Fred had found was just an old key. When what Fred has found in the Swamp has been discyysed on the show no chests have been mentioned. Just the Surveyor shafts and the part of an old ships mast. So I do wonder the source of the claim of three chests. I would of thought the Laginas would of mentioned them if this claim was true. Does anyone know the original source of this "rumor"...

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Samuel Ball did find something, etc etc....
Even if Sam Ball did find treasure there is no way of knowing whether that came from anywhere near the pit... Even if true that he became wealthy it is only one possible explanation that he found treasure on OI.. there are other possible explanations ie he may of been a pirate/criminal himself or he of found treasure elsewhere. There is NOTHING to support his wealth has anything to do with the pit...

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Petter Amundsen no matter what you say or do. His research is passed on everything that encrypted messages that were written by scholars in the early 17 century...
Petter Amundsen's research has been pass on by the legitimate academic community of Shakespearean scholars as a fabrication of history and there are no credible conformations that has collaborated his thesis.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look , This Samuel Ball Guy lived on the island at a time when it was sparsely inhabited , even if he found a minor chest of coinage, gems, what ever ... there was really no one else on the island to stop him from poking around all over the island ... after all he bought a few more lots and a small neighboring island ... He must have had some really kick ass cabbage and I bet he used the finger drains to draw the seawater in to make salt for his sauerkraut brand. If he found it ... cheers to him. My mind is not 100% made up on Mr. Nolan's credibility .. he did use some slick points of law to take possession of a few lots on the island , he handed over the survey drawings, but not his notebooks to interpret the drawings with, he skewed survey boundry lines to include artifacts he thought was important, built the first OI museum in the middle of the only road access to spite Blankenship and Dunfield , took several of the carved stones off the island and cemented them into the floor of the museum , made claims about finding ship parts in the swamp when it wasnt a swamp at the time , found wood survey stakes that dissapeared, claimed to have found 3 empty chests, also dissapeared ....Other than that , he was an all around swell guy .

That's just it. Samuel ball had most of the island to himself and free time to do whatever he wanted to on the island. Assuming he did find a treasure no one knows where he found it. It could have been near the money pit on the offset tunnel some believe there was to easily retrieve the treasure. I can't prove he did but no one can prove he didn't.
If he and or the original 3 found the treasure I could understand them ditching the chests so no one sees them with them and knows they found something. Fred Nolan claims he found 3 chests in the swamp so that goes along with the Mcginnis family claiming that the original 3 found 3 chests... Granted I find it hard to believe that there was 3 people searching and that they found 3 chests but it adds up with that story...

and surely most of ya'll can believe that Samuel Ball didn't become wealthy from farming just cabbage, it makes sense that he did find some sort of treasure.. and who knows where it came from might have been the money pit, cave in pit, smiths cove or anywhere but he apparently found something.. Which in turn makes this whole thing real. NOT A HOAX....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread