Persistent Claims of a Hoax

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Could be there are two treasures, one buried and found long ago. The second the money made off the show and future showings. They do show the earlier seasons still. A book I wrote tells of a cache of $994 buried since 1904, up on a bluff. Folks ask me if I will go look for it? I tell them I collect it a bit at a time with each copy that sells.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The second the money made off the show and future showings..
This it appears is the game plan now.... I do not believe ANYONE involved with making the show still believes that there is treasure buried in the pit. It is now all about spinning out the search for as many TV episodes as they can and sell advertising....

Sad really... Still the Laginas have answered the mystery. There is NO TREASURE buried at 170+ft in the money pit area. There can be no doubt of this after the pattern drilling this season (If there was doubt before)....

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't forget coming out smelling like a rose on the perpetuals

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all Schrödinger's cat

Not really. In Schrodinger's scenario, they know for a fact that there is a cat. We do not know for a fact that there is treasure on OI. Actually, everything is pointing to there not being anything of value there.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This it appears is the game plan now.... I do not believe ANYONE involved with making the show still believes that there is treasure buried in the pit. It is now all about spinning out the search for as many TV episodes as they can and sell advertising....

Sad really... Still the Laginas have answered the mystery. There is NO TREASURE buried at 170+ft in the money pit area. There can be no doubt of this after the pattern drilling this season (If there was doubt before)....

Actually the only thing they have proven is that "they" didn't find anything.... also, according to what the TV show presents

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll tell a true treasure story that illustrates why I said that.

In recording our excavation locations in daily field notes and activity log sheet there was a time when if nothing was found the excavation was recorded as "Empty Hole".
It came to someone's attention that technically that isn't appropriate. It was decided that Nothing Found, "NF" was more appropriate.

Why is such a small detail important? Empty Hole would mean the hole is empty, nothing is there, it has been excavated and detected, place an white dot on the spot to let others know that this is a searched hole that is empty. Don't waste your time covering covered ground.

Nothing found means, that the hole was excavated and detected and nothing was found. Variables that could apply is that it could be as we say in aviation, "operator error". The skill level of the person searching the hole, conditions such as no visibility and so forth. Nothing found does not mean the hole is empty.

One of the best treasure salvors had excavated an area a few decades ago. "Nothing was found" and the hole was not an "empty hole".

In 2010 Bonnie Shubert and her mom Jo excavated the exact same hole. They found a 5.5-inch-tall solid gold bird statue with a $885,000 appraised value.

and that is why no holes are empty holes only holes with nothing found!

Gold Pelican.jpg

Vero Beach mother, daughter team find solid gold bird statue from 1715 treasure fleet off Fort Pierc

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know if Gary's claim that old silver jewelry was often 70 to 80% copper is true... This seems pretty dubious to me but given I know nothing about Jewelry (other than my wife likes it when I buy it for her) I am interested if this is true or just another made up thing to make the old brooch they found seem more valuable.

To me if something is 80% copper and 20% silver I would describe it as set in copper that had been silver plated myself... But as I said I am no expert....

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Brittania Silver" is an alloy of 92.5% silver and 7.5% copper.

"Shibuichi" was an alloy of 25% silver and 75% copper but was unknown outside Japan until the 18th century.

It is also almost black. Not "silvery" at all.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Brittania Silver" is an alloy of 92.5% silver and 7.5% copper.

"Shibuichi" was an alloy of 25% silver and 75% copper but was unknown outside Japan until the 18th century.

It is also almost black. Not "silvery" at all.
Then Gary is making it up? He seems to do that a fair bit. His estimate of the piece leads history/age is also unsupported.

They put him forward as an expert based on that he has experience metal detecting. ... His claims in regard to Jewelry seem pretty dubious at best...

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
This thread is long running like the seasons, anyone got a new theory?

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is long running like the seasons, anyone got a new theory?
A new theory? The thread title is "Persistent Claims of a Hoax" so what do you mean by a "New Theory"

it would seem the choices are a)It is a hoax, or b) is it not a hoax, or c) some parts of it are a hoax and other parts are real... What new theory can be offered?.....

gr88bd

Dec 11, 2017
Grove City, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, Divining Rods, brass pendulum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then Gary is making it up? He seems to do that a fair bit. His estimate of the piece leads history/age is also unsupported.

They put him forward as an expert based on that he has experience metal detecting. ... His claims in regard to Jewelry seem pretty dubious at best...

Britannia silver is sterling silver , the other stuff is classified as costume jewelry . I don't know if Gary is a paid shill for the program or what.. but some of his claims are pretty outrageous when he makes them on the spot, (1400 cross, railroad er... I mean Spanish ship spike , an inge, bobby dazzler etc. ) He may just be saying what they want him to say for a paycheck. Lets face it , before this show, Gary was a MD enthusiast just like the rest of us. I had never heard of him but he had a reputation as being a treasure finder . He is fortunate to live on the treasure coast of Florida where stuff washes up on the beach with every storm and or high tide . BUT his books on reading the beach and water are pretty darn spot on for accuracy as to where to find coinage, rings and other artifacts.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes and no regarding "Sterling". That is 92.5% silver and 7.5% other metals. Copper sometimes, but zinc or germanium is also a n allow called "Sterling". Britanna Silver is 92.5% silver & 7.5% copper. No other metals.

The discussion was on the copper alloys.

Regarding Gary: I'd be a little more inclined to believe him if he was a little less of a cheerleader for his own finds and the significance of them. Also if he turned a bit more of the targets he is ignoring (which may have been dug in earlier takes and left/reburied). He's definitely boosting his finds to the audience. Always too sure that it is valuable. Never "might be" or "could be".

Last edited:

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
A new theory? The thread title is "Persistent Claims of a Hoax" so what do you mean by a "New Theory"

it would seem the choices are a)It is a hoax, or b) is it not a hoax, or c) some parts of it are a hoax and other parts are real... What new theory can be offered?.....

Lol now it's silver compositions, the red herring has struck.....

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
Not a hoax.

From the start searches were using a copy of a Spanish origin treasure map. They are still using it today. The stories and reports all refer to it up until the 1960s when it was removed from the official story version. You can easily read the reports today.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the start searches were using a copy of a Spanish origin treasure map. They are still using it today. The stories and reports all refer to it up until the 1960s when it was removed from the official story version. You can easily read the reports today.
huh... Early reports DO NOT ever report people using a Spanish treasure map.. The earliest searchers were looking for pirate treasure (captain Kidd) http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/oak-island/598796-early-documents-oak-island.html I have no idea what source you are using for this claim... I have never seen any written reports of anyone using a Spanish treasure map....

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
Dig a bit deeper and not just what is handed out for the TV show.

Here's a copy of the (spanish origin) map published in 1934. The image shows how it was oriented (to north), scaled and physically laid out on the island from the start to determine where to dig. It's why Dan Blankenship used to say the treasure was of spanish origin. Green circle is the money pit.
danmap.png
It is talked about in all the original reports. Just ask Doug. They, like the map, are easy to find.

DC1.png

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread