Why would buried treasure be abandoned ?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back to the OP topic, as to why a treasure would be abandoned.. If it was something like the Holy Grail maybe there was never a plan to retrieve it. They just didn't want it to be taken or destroyed.
The sensible and "easy thing to do would be drop it in the ocean in a deep trench. This would ensure it would never be found. If you wanted it to never been recovered why the oak platform every 10 feet and the other supposed pieces of evidence. People only dug deeper because of these reported finds.

It really is extremely difficult to even come up with even a logically plausible reason for burying something 20 stories deep. It is so difficult to understand why anyone ever thought something was buried there...

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back to the OP topic, as to why a treasure would be abandoned.. If it was something like the Holy Grail maybe there was never a plan to retrieve it. They just didn't want it to be taken or destroyed.
Just thinking of a couple of flaws with this as a theoretically plausible reason. 1. Why go all the way to Canada. Burying something 170+ foot down anywhere would mean it was never going to be discovered. 2. There must of been a significant amount of people involved there was always going to be a chance one would talk (unless they murdered them all after filling in the hole) But they still would of needed their boat crew. Thus people would of known something was buried there and could of talked. 3. This island is very close to the mainland and this major operation could of been seen by people on the mainland there are many more isolated island in Mahone bay as shown on this map. Oak Island is one of the closest to the mainland

Map_highlighting_Mahone_Bay,_Nova_Scotia.png

It would be a very poor choice if wanting to be unnoticed...

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
So . . . instead of dropping it off in the middle of the Atlantic in 25,000 feet of water they buried it?

That's what I would have done with it, if I were trying to get rid of it. If I eventually wanted to recover it (and I was on my way to the New World), I'd bury it in Iceland - way safer, just as isolated, and the locals wouldn't try to kill me the moment that I arrived.

Is this our next money maker? Gold Road Ice Loggers in Iceland? If this happens, I want a cut.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Northern Cross was positioned over Oak Island is the reason for the treasure to be buried there.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Northern Cross was positioned over Oak Island is the reason for the treasure to be buried there.
From that general location the stars would be equally positioned over all those islands. They are not very far apart.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd bury it in Iceland - way safer, just as isolated, and the locals wouldn't try to kill me the moment that I arrived.
They might of just tried to feed you their fish delicacy
Hákarl

Hákarl is fermented shark meat and is a Icelandic delicacy. It is so delicate, in fact, that many people in Iceland never get around the trying it. One reason may be because it tastes like ammonia and causes humans to gag when they put it in their mouth.,,,,What do the pros say? Andrew Zimmern said it tastes better than it smells, Anthony Bourdain said it was the worst thing he has ever had, and Gordon Ramsay couldn't even keep it down.
source: http://openjourney.com/article/18-stinky-foods-around-the-world-41.html

Then you would of killed yourself to avoid having to eat it...:laughing7:....

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
or maybe there was a plan for it to be dug up a generation later thinking it would be safe to do so, and there could be record of it in some places archives which is why they do and or have someone doing research on the people who might have buried it...

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that I’ve done research equivalent to n2mini, franklin, robot, etc., I’ve determined that the actual templar treasure was not on oak island. It was placed in a vault on top of Mount Saint Helens. I would provide factual proof but due to geological events some years back, everyone will have to take my word for it...

C6070807-122D-4844-AC38-6D59D6872CED.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
or maybe there was a plan for it to be dug up a generation later thinking it would be safe to do so, and there could be record of it in some places archives which is why they do and or have someone doing research on the people who might have buried it...
Ok that is somewhat plausible.. But where was it recorded? It is now hundreds of years later and no record of a treasure being buried on OI has been mentioned... It also still does not offer a theoretical viable explanation of why a group would do that. It also does not explain how they could of realistically believed that of the large group of people who must of been used to bury the treasure on and Island all could be trusted not to come back to get it...

It does not answer: why so deep? Why oak island? and Why leave clues as to treasure being buried there?

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that I’ve done research equivalent to n2mini, franklin, robot, etc., I’ve determined that the actual templar treasure was not on oak island. It was placed in a vault on top of Mount Saint Helens. I would provide factual proof but due to geological events some years back, everyone will have to take my word for it...

View attachment 1563747

Based on my decoding of the beales/bacon/shakespheare and many other codes, I originally thought the location was "Smokey Mountains", but after comparing several cryptic vowel placements in shakespheare's code and cross referencing to areas of the beale's code, I finally surmised that the original decode was wrong. It wasn't "Smokey Mountains". but actually, "Smoked Mountain".

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't kept up with all the particulars of the Freemasons, Templers and all the others they may have been to the island as I don't care who left what. I just care and think that something was there at some point.. That being said it seems like there was a group fleeing their city/country and trying to get religious items out, and there were others some think who where trying to hide their money/jewels to retrieve later, and still others possibly setting them selves up for later to leave their King or whoever from England/Europe areas.
Plus one of those groups supposedly have history of burying things deep and or 10 sections down...
They may have picked Oak Island because it would not be the most obvious place to hide it on after bypassing all the other islands. I doubt there were many people that lived on the mainland within eye sight of the island at that time...plus most may not have the means to even get out there to look at what is happening and probably didn't want to not know who it might be for fear of death..
They are doing the research in hopes of finding any mention of them leaving notes, maps etc of what they left. Even if there is notes somewhere who knows where it might be found. That is why they are doing the research. Just because it's there doesn't mean they will find it.. ( may not be anything to find of course )
They would most likely want the items to be found at a later date either by themselves or their next generation. A typical crew member on any of the ships would never be able to find their way back to oak island as they would not have been a part of the navigation of getting there, so regardless if they knew what was there they'd never be able to come back and find it from England or where ever..

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on my decoding of the beales/bacon/shakespheare and many other codes, I originally thought the location was "Smokey Mountains", but after comparing several cryptic vowel placements in shakespheare's code and cross referencing to areas of the beale's code, I finally surmised that the original decode was wrong. It wasn't "Smokey Mountains". but actually, "Smoked Mountain".

Based on another cypher decode I accomplished recently, I found yet another vault filled with gold bullion (not sure if it is templar, blackbeard, freemason, etc.) and went inside and took a photo. Due to the potential for government interference, I'm leaving it there for now...

Gold Treasure.jpg

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
n2mini it is more theoretical plausible then most of the theory's presented by the Laginas. Still i struggle with the basic premise that someone would go to so much effort to hide a significant treasure and then abandon the treasure on the hope that someone may find it an dig it up in the future...

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
n2mini it is more theoretical plausible then most of the theory's presented by the Laginas. Still i struggle with the basic premise that someone would go to so much effort to hide a significant treasure and then abandon the treasure on the hope that someone may find it an dig it up in the future...

I agree which is why I think it had already been found either at 10-20 feet or else where on the island. Side shaft up for easier retrieval. and or possibly in the swamp area... I'm not sure I believe in the Money Pit Stone or not other then we keep hearing stories of people who claimed to have seen it... Sure doesn't mean it was from the treasure hiders but I think there was a stone of some sort..

TDogger

Jan 22, 2016
Mesa, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arizona has dozens of stories where a cash box was stolen from a stagecoach or train. A posse pursued and killed the robbers, but the loot was never found.

I agree which is why I think it had already been found either at 10-20 feet or else where on the island. Side shaft up for easier retrieval. and or possibly in the swamp area... I'm not sure I believe in the Money Pit Stone or not other then we keep hearing stories of people who claimed to have seen it... Sure doesn't mean it was from the treasure hiders but I think there was a stone of some sort..

In one episode, two elderly galls claimed their ancestors found three treasure chests and each of the three kept one. They also presented a small golden cross that was allegedly part of the treasure. It is possible that the Oak Island team is chasing a treasure that's already been found. There are lots of reasons to NOT report a treare find.

I also think it's very implausible that there is a room with a concrete ceiling 100 feet down. It's probably a rock slab. The water trap was too elaborate to have been created hundreds of years ago. A 10 or 20-foot pit near a landmark would have sufficed.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a reason for the 100 ft. shaft which happened to be every 10 ft in 10 sections, why do you think Washington, D.C. was laid out 10 miles by 10 miles.

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a reason for the 100 ft. shaft which happened to be every 10 ft in 10 sections, why do you think Washington, D.C. was laid out 10 miles by 10 miles.

Premise hinges on the assumption that there was, in fact, a 100' shaft dug on Oak Island. No evidence of this original 'depositors shaft' has been demonstrated.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
WHY? Could be, maybe it was decreed in a secret code written 400 years ago embedded in the works of Shakespeare which deciphered by L'Enfant?
The layout of Washington D C shows Freemason L'Enfant's fondness for connect the dots game.
Within the 10 X 10 square one can connect dots to discover stars, a moon, and owl, and several other designs.
L'Enfant later designed the house (which was never completed) of Robert Morris Jr, signer of the DOI, and embedded in the blueprints was a map to what is alluded to be the Beale treasure.
While shopping at a yard sale, a friend of Lynchburg's mayor at that time, Robert Morriss, bought the set of L'Enfant's Morris blueprints and presented them to Lynchburg Mayor Morris as a gift.

Last edited:

Mike Mercury

Dec 14, 2015
southwest Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would buried treasure be abandoned... why would someone bury treasure and then not come back an get it

It took a team to bury it, it would take a similar group of men (albeit smaller in number) to retrieve it.

If one was in prison, or without a ship anymore, or ill/on-deaths bed… it’s too late then to try to assemble a team to go back and get it.

The reason why Daniel McGinnis got curious was due to noticing the suspicious activity on Oak Island. The information about the treasure had apparently leaked out – that it had been abandoned – and anyone/everyone with a ship was looking for where it may have been buried. When McGinnis saw those lanterns… those searchers may already of been to numerous shores & islands looking for the treasure. So, the treasure may not have been placed on Oak Island specifically… but McGinnis saw them searching on OI and assumed something had to be there; not realizing that OI was one of many places being scoured for the loot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread