The TRUE story behind the Oak Island legend... (Finally revelaed)

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes more sense than treasure - but sea salt doesn't require drains, fibers and fancy stuff. Just shallow evaporating areas.

Sea water needs to be filtered before it goes to the pans. More so, if sourced from shallower water where concentration of pollutants would be greater. Seaweed and other organic material in the salt adversely affects the preservation and taste of the meat or fish.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sea water needs to be filtered before it goes to the pans. More so, if sourced from shallower water where concentration of pollutants would be greater. Seaweed and other organic material in the salt adversely affects the preservation and taste of the meat or fish.

Dig a shallow hole in the sand and use what seeps in if water is too funky to dip from ocean.
No mention of filtration in L@C journals. But bet there was quite an ash layer left as evidence. As should be found on the island if a works existed.https://www.nps.gov/lewi/planyourvisit/saltworks.htm

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
but isn't that what you and MANY others claim the coconut fibers were used for?

Not me. I never made any claim on the coconut fibers. Might have just washed up as flotsom. I don't trust the C-14 because of the dissolved ions in seawater and the samples were taken to the lab rather than collected by technicians (chain of evidence and contamination issues would not hold up in any scientific or legal situation).

And who says seas water has to be filtered? You don't think the stuff most countries mine or evaporate currently has ever been filtered, do you? Maybe a "modern" brand like Morton table salt has been. Maybe not. Salt kills most bad organisms. That's why it's handy.

Harvesting-Salt-Hon-Khoi-Vietnam.jpg

Sea_salt

Last edited:

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That has been my argument for those that thought it was for salt mining. Sorry, thought you were part of that group. I always said there were and are easier ways to mine salt there filtering it thru coconut fibers. Granted that doesn't mean it was there to allow water to run to the money pit either..

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope. I'm part of the nothing there now, nothing there before group.

The evidence points to no buried treasure.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope. I'm part of the nothing there now, nothing there before group.

The evidence points to no buried treasure.

I would not be too quick to say there is no buried treasure there? There may be, but they are not going about it in the right way. Everyone that comes to Oak Island makes the same mistake-----go to the moneypit. Why are they not dredging the beaches and the bays with real treasure boats like the ones Mel Fisher and others use in Florida. Why do they not systematically scan the entire Island, at least where they can get permission. The treasures that may be deep can stay there for eternity or they can find enough treasure on other parts of the Island to keep the television people and investors interested. To keep going to any empty hole is going to run dry soon especially with interested investors.

Also in Danville, Virginia, I watched the DECODED History Channel with HBB and John London. They told everyone there is no treasure or large amounts of gold within 18 miles of Danville. I was laughing my ass off. Right where they stood and said there was no gold, I had found gold coins and silver coins along with a bunch of coppers. And within 300 yards in two different directions were a total of $8.6 Million Dollars face value in gold coins and within 100 feet from where HBB made his famous statement are 162,000 Mexican Silver Dollars. But no treasure is not a good statement to make as we do not know what is under the ground without turning it up and looking.

Last edited:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig a shallow hole in the sand and use what seeps in if water is too funky to dip from ocean.
No mention of filtration in L@C journals. But bet there was quite an ash layer left as evidence. As should be found on the island if a works existed.https://www.nps.gov/lewi/planyourvisit/saltworks.htm

Any large ash layer would only exist if the salt was made by boiling sea water.
It would take a lot of shallow holes, a lot of iron pots, and a substantial labor force to supply enough sea water and wood for a boiling process which could supply enough salt to cure the season's catch.
I see all of this as being an ingenious low-maintenance, minimal labor "salt factory" that was powered by the tide, the sun and the wind, and manned,regulated and producing on a seasonal basis concurrent with that of the fishery of the times.

Layers of charcoal and clay putty were also found in the mid sections of the money pit.

I'm sure a few here will find this interesting.....

John LeConte, 1818-1891. How to Make Salt from Sea-Water.

It covers a lot of what I am talking about, including some of the reasons for filtration of the supply water.

Last edited:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I doubt they will find any substantial treasure on the island. Mainly because I believe the real treasure of Oak Island was sea salt,produced there for use of the early Basque and/or Portuguese fishing fleets which harvested the Georges and Grand Banks. That IMO, the "money pit" was designed and constructed as a tide-driven filtration system to provide seawater free of algae and seaweed to an evaporative salt bed, most likely where the swamp now is. As the tide would rise, unfiltered water would enter the filter "pit" through the tunnels from the shoreline, then be forced upward through the log grates,coconut fibre etc., with the heaviest and worst of the contaminants settling below the intake level. When the level of rising,and now filtered sea water, reached the upper levels of the pit, it could be then channeled down the slope to the salt pan itself. Two types of salt were desired for curing fish. White, dried on a flat bedrock pan, and grey....dried on a flat clay pan. It's all more interesting and complicated than my simplified explanation of course, but all that the searchers have found so far in the way of artifacts etc., seems to lean in this direction for me.

Lots of info here: Dennis King's article on the "Finger Drains"

We take salt for granted, but wars have been fought over it. Here's some old salt pans on the island of Gozo - some still in use.
P4020238.jpg

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
I would not be too quick to say there is no buried treasure there? There may be, but they are not going about it in the right way. Everyone that comes to Oak Island makes the same mistake-----go to the moneypit.

I suppose that they do that because the Money Pit is the only reason anyone is there looking for treasure in the first place. If we discard the Money Pit story, why search around Oak Island in the first place? Why not just pick an island at random?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any large ash layer would only exist if the salt was made by boiling sea water.
It would take a lot of shallow holes, a lot of iron pots, and a substantial labor force to supply enough sea water and wood for a boiling process which could supply enough salt to cure the season's catch.
I see all of this as being an ingenious low-maintenance, minimal labor "salt factory" that was powered by the tide, the sun and the wind, and manned,regulated and producing on a seasonal basis concurrent with that of the fishery of the times.

Layers of charcoal and clay putty were also found in the mid sections of the money pit.

I'm sure a few here will find this interesting.....

John LeConte, 1818-1891. How to Make Salt from Sea-Water.

It covers a lot of what I am talking about, including some of the reasons for filtration of the supply water.
A good example of what you're saying was in Newport Beach Ca. There was a salt mine in Upper Newport Bay (Back Bay) they produced a good amount of salt through the years. The only real maintenance was for someone to go out and open & close the gates when the tides rose & fell, and picking it up & loading it in trucks. All that's left today is the remains of the dike road across the bay. You can still make out the road on GE. As kids our big adventure was to ride our bikes across the dike to get 5 or 10# chunks to take to school so everyone could lick it. There's pictures & news stories out there on the web. Take a look, it'd be a really good example of what you're saying just a tad less engineered than the OI example.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose that they do that because the Money Pit is the only reason anyone is there looking for treasure in the first place. If we discard the Money Pit story, why search around Oak Island in the first place? Why not just pick an island at random?

That is because the money or gold treasure from the "money pit" was removed there is nothing there to find.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its likely in heaven as that was the last place it was recorded to be..... Revelations.
Ugg, I was a silent observer of this thread until you spelled a pet peeve of mine that I see so many people do....it’s the book of REVELATION people, not plural.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would not be too quick to say there is no buried treasure there.

Quick? I'm not "quick". Hundreds of folks have been looking unsuccessfully since 1795 (supposedly). Dozens of failed attempts and consortiums.

With that evidence I'm pretty confident in saying "bunkum".

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe the nothing that was found is the everything that was never there? That's easier to explain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions