The Two Idiots at it Again!

Zom

Dec 8, 2019
USA
Detector(s) used
1975 White Discriminator. Sorry, my metal detector days are over.
Primary Interest:
Other
My feeling is I HATE the History Channel "reality" shows. They are about 15 minutes of content stretched into 40. The leading questions asked by the narrator fall between laughable and nauseating. I tire of the people on the show with their idiotic theories.

That being said... I've been intrigued by Oak Island since the 60s... and if someone is willing to spend millions to get to the bottom of what might be there... I'll hold my nose and watch and that was before I knew someone who started working for Prometheus. Sorry, s/he is very closed lipped about the show and won't divulge anything about future shows.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Game has changed allot .
Every time they Come up empty :coffee2:

Pit, Change, Swamp, Change, Beach, Change, Home site, Change, Italy, Change, Pit, Change In Town, Change, In their Shed, Change, Swamp, Change, Pit, Change,
Visit from old Lady, Change, Beach, Change etc. Etc.

Change... swamp again.

OP
OP
G

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn’t anyone care about the poor island? It’s gonna be Swiss cheese when the buffoon’s show gets cancelled someday.Where are all the Canadian environmental bunnyhuggers ?

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn’t anyone care about the poor island? It’s gonna be Swiss cheese when the buffoon’s show gets cancelled someday.Where are all the Canadian environmental bunnyhuggers ?
Given that they are only digging up stuff that has been dug up multiple times before I do not imagine their is much in the way of environmental concerns really. They are effectively just digging up an old landfill site....

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don’t know why they can’t just have a “normal” person doing things like Treasure Hunting or Metal Detecting on those shows. It always seems like they try to have people with obnoxious personalities. How about a show where someone does metal detecting, no antics, just lots of good information and history and skill.

LouMiller

Dec 27, 2019
Austinville Va.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 Vanquish 540 Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t know why they can’t just have a “normal” person doing things like Treasure Hunting or Metal Detecting on those shows. It always seems like they try to have people with obnoxious personalities. How about a show where someone does metal detecting, no antics, just lots of good information and history and skill.

I agree. The sad part of it is that there are people who think Drayton " deserves" his own show. All he wants to find is coins and jewelry , how many times do you see him pass over " just iron ". You can't piece together history if you don't collect the pieces !

I feel the show has become nothing more than a commercial for Marty's construction business as well as Billy's.

Now that being said , i do believe that treasure still hides in one of the islands of Mahone bay... just not this one. If you were a captain of a ship who was damaged , would you pass by several large islands like Big Tancook or Masons island just to get to the one the farthest away from the inlet ? If you were going to hide treasure would you pick an island right on the shore of the mainland instead of one more remote ? This is the Lagina's tenth year digging holes on the island , at what point do they decide that enough is enough ? Seems like they did with the hoax they tried with the " curse of great lakes gold " or whatever it was called.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They had to stop on Oak Island. A storm blew them upon Oak Island. Had it not been for the other ships they would have been marooned for a very long time.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. The sad part of it is that there are people who think Drayton " deserves" his own show. All he wants to find is coins and jewelry , how many times do you see him pass over " just iron ". You can't piece together history if you don't collect the pieces !

I feel the show has become nothing more than a commercial for Marty's construction business as well as Billy's.

Now that being said , i do believe that treasure still hides in one of the islands of Mahone bay... just not this one. If you were a captain of a ship who was damaged , would you pass by several large islands like Big Tancook or Masons island just to get to the one the farthest away from the inlet ? If you were going to hide treasure would you pick an island right on the shore of the mainland instead of one more remote ? This is the Lagina's tenth year digging holes on the island , at what point do they decide that enough is enough ? Seems like they did with the hoax they tried with the " curse of great lakes gold " or whatever it was called.

Your way of thinking might just be why someone would go by the other islands to bury something.

SSR

Sep 24, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My feeling is I HATE the History Channel "reality" shows. They are about 15 minutes of content stretched into 40. The leading questions asked by the narrator fall between laughable and nauseating. I tire of the people on the show with their idiotic theories.

That being said... I've been intrigued by Oak Island since the 60s... and if someone is willing to spend millions to get to the bottom of what might be there... I'll hold my nose and watch and that was before I knew someone who started working for Prometheus. Sorry, s/he is very closed lipped about the show and won't divulge anything about future shows.

Have you discredited the notion that spending these millions in recent times could have been a folly? Spending millions on things is not proof of the validity of any ideas about what this mystery represents. This story never started with huge sums thrown at it. It started with nothing, followed by failure, followed 40 years of nothing, followed by a period when shares are sold to fund excavations that may have been backed with fake/embellished stories. Theories abounded in Victorian times that OI was a scam. I believe there was even litigation to that effect or threats of it. It should not surprise anyone that millions can be spent chasing the literal equivalents of symbols in allegories. Millions have been spent looking for all sorts of similar things, and it all constitutes folly.

We do happen to know what mythology the OI story is built upon, so why can we not concede that this is likely an allegory and that the search for tangible equivalents to story details is futile? You can spend a billion dollars looking for Glooscap's pillow in NS, and then you might reinterpret the old myth as something other than a factual account.

Last edited:

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
2 buffoons and dynamite ? ooh sounds like recipe for disaster. i'm a little disconnected i never saw the show. but i'd certainly be interested in seeing that segment.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you discredited the notion that spending these millions in recent times could have been a folly? Spending millions on things is not proof of the validity of any ideas about what this mystery represents. This story never started with huge sums thrown at it. It started with nothing, followed by failure, followed 40 years of nothing, followed by a period when shares are sold to fund excavations that may have been backed with fake/embellished stories. Theories abounded in Victorian times that OI was a scam. I believe there was even litigation to that effect or threats of it. It should not surprise anyone that millions can be spent chasing the literal equivalents of symbols in allegories. Million have been spent looking for all sorts of similar things, and it all constitutes folly.

We do happen to know what mythology the OI story is build upon, so why can we not concede that this is likely an allegory and that the search for tangible equivalents to story details is futile? You can spend a billion dollars looking for Glooscap's pillow in NS, and then you might reinterpret the old myth as something other than a factual account.

These guys are only one set of guys who are / have spent millions on this legend / island...

Including a president. heh

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought you meant Pelosi and Schumer..or Schiff and Nadler...or Schiff and Pelosi...or Schumer and Nadler....oh the endless combinations

Zom

Dec 8, 2019
USA
Detector(s) used
1975 White Discriminator. Sorry, my metal detector days are over.
Primary Interest:
Other

SSR

Sep 24, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The point is that it feeds on itself if the previous guy somehow legitimizes it for the next guy by spending a lot, doesn't it? FDR wasn't president when he got sucked into it. He was just an impressionable young man. NS Freemasons had been regularly going to the US to promote the mystery with their brethren since at least the 1890s. This got on the radar of Freemasons because the enduring mythology attached to the early stories is Biblical/masonic. In the esoteric revival period of the 19th century there were many people to take aim at with stories of this type. It resonated loud and clear. I don't see any of the great mass interest in this story as proof of anything but the power of networking. Once a story goes viral it can reach pretty impressive heights. That's still true today.

SnowDigger

Jan 10, 2019
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Nokta FORS CoRe
Nokta Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally, I think the worst part of the show is the announcer: "Sand? On the beach of Oak Island? Could this be proof that the Knights Templar tracked it on their shoes after retrieving the Holy Grail from the middle east?"

I know this is old, but that is hilarious! Thanks for making me chuckle :)

OP
OP
G

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee wiz I stopped watching the idiots show when I started this thread. Surely by now they must have discovered all kinds of treasure.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee wiz I stopped watching the idiots show when I started this thread. Surely by now they must have discovered all kinds of treasure.
They are making millions from the search. Does that count?

Lets face it they are the first searchers to have got rich from their Oak island Treasure search.

OP
OP
G

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are making millions from the search. Does that count?

Lets face it they are the first searchers to have got rich from their Oak island Treasure search.

No I’am waiting with baited breath for real treasure; you know like the kids found in the movie “ The Goonies”. One Eyed Willy’s treasure, a Knights Templar mummy ; heck i’ll even take a movie of a real Bigfoot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread