OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obviously, it is preposterous that the Lagina's went back to the building and happened to find the stone in the basement. Rumor has it that they acquired the stone from a private owner. For whatever reason, Prometheus didn't think this was exciting enough so staged "finding" the stone where it was last publicly seen. You can tell this because the guys on the show aren't actors and that was as unnatural a scene as could be.
That is terrible.. Treating the audience like fools. As you said if is not credible that the stone was just sitting on the floor in the basement under the old bookshop and NO ONE ELSE that had looked in the last 100 years had been able to see it.. BUT the Lagina gang just suddenly decide to go for one more look and **KAZAM** The Stone appears...

If the provenance of the stone cannot be trusted then what basis do they have for claiming it is the actual stone.

Up until now I did not think the Laginas were making things up.. But now we know they are.. If they are willing to PLANT EVIDENCE once then anything else they now find is less credible.. ie was the lead cross actually found in Smith Cove or just moved there because it would make better TV..

The show is now moving in the realm of make believe....

Shame on you Rick and Marty...

soul.jpg

Last edited:

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Is This As Fake...As Finding A 3 Dollar Spanish 1762 Bill...On Oak Island?

Rick and Marty had their Doubts...As being used...By The Producers of this Show!

Z-27.jpg

"In his book, The Curse of Oak Island: The Story of the World’s Longest Treasure Hunt, Sullivan reveals that both Rick and Marty Lagina both told him separately that they had originally feared that the Spanish Cobb coin may have been planted.

The pair were then said to have “intensely” questioned the show’s executive producer Kevin Burns along with other producers about their suspicions.
Only after that did they had become convinced that the find was legitimate. However, they did also tell producers if that if it ever did emerge that the coin had been planted then the show would come to a halt with immediate effect."

rabidus

Dec 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is terrible.. Treating the audience like fools. As you said if is not credible that the stone was just sitting on the floor in the basement under the old bookshop and NO ONE ELSE that had looked in the last 100 years had been able to see it.. BUT the Lagina gang just suddenly decide to go for one more look and **KAZAM** The Stone appears...

If the provenance of the stone cannot be trusted then what basis do they have for claiming it is the actual stone.

Up until now I did not think the Laginas were making things up.. But now we know they are.. If they are willing to PLANT EVIDENCE once then anything else they now find is less credible.. ie was the lead cross actually found in Smith Cove or just moved there because it would make better TV..

The show is now moving in the realm of make believe....

Shame on you Rick and Marty...

View attachment 1669341

Yeah, it's a fine line regarding entertainment and their "duty" to tell the truth. I think the producers really push the narrative but also think that the Lagina's do have some integrity and don't let them bend as far as the producer's would like. In this case, I think the producers wanted a jazzier story or for whatever reason, didn't want to tell the truth of how the stone was recovered. But the stone was recovered somehow and I think they have evidence it is the same stone from the book binder. So end result is the same, they have the stone. Just a weird portrayal of how it was obtained. Personally, I think the producers don't give the audience enough credit and people would actually enjoy the show more if things were explained reasonably instead of the shitty make belief stuff we get.

Caryl

Feb 2, 2008
They outright just said." In 1909, Oak Island treasure hunter Captain Henry Marshall, traveled to Halifax after hearing reports that the so called 90 ft stone was on display in the local bookstore. He was shocked, however, to find that the mysterious symbols that had been carved into it had been worn away, after years of it being used to beat (mumbled) leather, during the process of book binding. According to his account, the only characters he could identify on the surface of the stone, were the letters "L" and "N". The same two letters that appear on the stone Doug and the team brought back from Halifax."

NOT JM which is widely reported in many sources from Marshall's letters.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No. The world's oldest treasure hunt is for the "Holy Grail". (Specifically the chalice of Christ at the Last Supper).

And no, it's not on Oak Island. Or at least there is no credible reason to believe it is.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
No. The world's oldest treasure hunt is for the "Holy Grail". (Specifically the chalice of Christ at the Last Supper).

And no, it's not on Oak Island. Or at least there is no credible reason to believe it is.

Is there any credible reason to believe it is "Anywhere Else"?

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
They outright just said." In 1909, Oak Island treasure hunter Captain Henry Marshall, traveled to Halifax after hearing reports that the so called 90 ft stone was on display in the local bookstore. He was shocked, however, to find that the mysterious symbols that had been carved into it had been worn away, after years of it being used to beat (mumbled) leather, during the process of book binding. According to his account, the only characters he could identify on the surface of the stone, were the letters "L" and "N". The same two letters that appear on the stone Doug and the team brought back from Halifax."

=======
Do you have a link to a site which says Captain Henry Marshall says the initials are L N ?

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep.. That is just a lie.. There does not appear to be another report of the initials other than the ones shown in the source on the previous page (JM). There seems to be NO SOURCE at all of LN initials.

They are now just making things up and telling lies...

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha ha.. So to claim because we do not know where it is then this means that it is equally possible to be on OI as it is to be anywhere else..

This puts the odds at (If we consider square miles) 197 million to one that it is on OI... Not a bet I would take..

The total surface area of Earth is about 197 million square miles

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have reason to believe it is in my cellar under the clothes drier because the lint trap once had three dark globs IN THE SAME ALIGNMENT AS THE STARS IN ORION's BELT.

Prove it isn't.

Caryl

Feb 2, 2008
It was in a book I just finished, but can't remember the name. It was mentioned here a few weeks ago.

Then here.
https://www.oakislandcompendium.ca/...lost-90-foot-stone-part-2-in-a-special-series

IF there was a stone with a coded message on it, the initials on it would have come after the code was recorded and deciphered otherwise along with the coded symbols they would have mentioned any initials in the stone.

FYI, if anyone digs up my great grandmothers hearth in Pennsylvania, my initials and the crude picture of a dog are carved in a brick. :)

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I have reason to believe it is in my cellar under the clothes drier because the lint trap once had three dark globs IN THE SAME ALIGNMENT AS THE STARS IN ORION's BELT.

Prove it isn't.

Prove it is!

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The show exaggerates many things and entertains too many wild theories but I don't think the Lagina's allow the show to be completely fraudulent.

My take on the stone is this. The Oak Island Treasure Company had a stone in the book binder's window while they were trying to raise funds. The stone was described by Harry W. Marshall as "..some lad had put his initials "J.M." on one corner, but apart from this there was no evidence of any inscription either cut or printed on the stone.".

It is very possible that Marshall wrote this years later and thought he recalled the initials as J.M. but they were actually L.N. It wasn't an affidavit, just a letter. If the show just created this stone as a fake, they would have put J.M. on it as that is the only written description of the stone.

Obviously, it is preposterous that the Lagina's went back to the building and happened to find the stone in the basement. Rumor has it that they acquired the stone from a private owner. For whatever reason, Prometheus didn't think this was exciting enough so staged "finding" the stone where it was last publicly seen. You can tell this because the guys on the show aren't actors and that was as unnatural a scene as could be.

So I think it's reasonable to assume that the stone they "found" is in fact, the "90 foot stone" that was at A&H Creighton. However, that stone was likely not the "real" 90 ft. stone and instead, just something used to help raise funds. In all probability, there never actual was a stone found in the money pit.

Could the letters "JM" stand for James McGinnis?

Caryl

Feb 2, 2008
It was in a book I just finished, but can't remember the name. It was mentioned here a few weeks ago.

Then here.
https://www.oakislandcompendium.ca/...lost-90-foot-stone-part-2-in-a-special-series

=========

But Caryl, this link takes me to a site that says the initials were JM, I thought you said it was LN :icon_scratch:

No. They guys on OI said that Marshall said the initials were LN, just like the stone in front of them. When in actuality, all the stories of Marshall's letter state that he saw the initials JM on the stone.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Have You Ever Heard The Saying...He Who Laughs Last...Laughs Best!

Ha ha.. So to claim because we do not know where it is then this means that it is equally possible to be on OI as it is to be anywhere else..

This puts the odds at (If we consider square miles) 197 million to one that it is on OI... Not a bet I would take..

I Hope You Would Not Take That Bet!

Fool People.jpg

The Probability...That it is on 1 acre of the Earth... is 1 in 37 billion acres.

The Probability...That it is on Oak Island...is 140 in 37 billion acres.

My Probability...Is 140 percent greater than yours!

Caryl

Feb 2, 2008
=======
Do you have a link to a site which says Captain Henry Marshall says the initials are L N ?

The LN thing was a direct transcript quote from the narrator of tonight's OI episode.And I still remember seeing the nephew going through the old binding shop last season and them finding no stone, and reporting back to the war room as such.

sasquash

Nov 2, 2016
North of Quebec
Detector(s) used
Computers
Primary Interest:
Other

Then here.

IF there was a stone with a coded message on it, the initials on it would have come after the code was recorded and deciphered otherwise along with the coded symbols they would have mentioned any initials in the stone.

FYI, if anyone digs up my great grandmothers hearth in Pennsylvania, my initials and the crude picture of a dog are carved in a brick. :)

Oak Island Compendium has no credibility, they are part of the show now ...

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oak Island Compendium has no credibility, they are part of the show now ...
That's a big claim (regarding no credibility) I have found there research on OI very well documented.

Are you claiming it is fake?

The articles I have read on their site do not support the Lagina claims at all.

Much of this material on there site was published years ago.

sasquash

Nov 2, 2016
North of Quebec
Detector(s) used
Computers
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a big claim (regarding no credibility) I have found there research on OI very well documented.

Are you claiming it is fake?

The articles I have read on their site do not support the Lagina claims at all.

Much of this material on there site was published years ago.

Their past research are well documented and not support the actual show. But from now they are part of the circus (look how the false "stone" is moved by Doug with one finger). All future articles on their site will be ... supporting the show ?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread