OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From my research, the drains were mostly removed. How ever, there could be some parts still remaining as the did use explosives to blast through the drains.
I agree the drains did exist but what I meant is that the Laginas must now not think that what they found (The triangle of rocks) is a part of the drains or they would of said something more on the last episode. But they never mentioned that rock formation again so must of decided it was not part of the box drains.

From my reading of other research Dunfeild found the drains and never said they were Triangle shaped. I really wish they would follow up on things even when they find their initial assumptions are not correct.

They accounts of the French drains were there in the beginning. So they are real IMO.
Sorry I am not sure what you mean by this? I was referring to what Rick found behind the L shaped structure a couple of episodes ago. ie the small rocks all stacked together and speculated that they did not look natural and appeared like a French Drain. These have not been mentioned again...

The Chapel vault was a wooden box but it was surrounded by concrete. The drill operators that determined that were very experienced. Can they push it into the mud? Quite possibly.
Again I am unsure of what you mean here. The drill operators never speculated that the "chest" could of been pushed of to the side that was only the Laginas. I do not see how a wood (and possibly) concrete box (This was never proven that it was concrete just speculated in that it "looked like" concrete by Chappel) could of been pushed of into solid ground. It would need to displace what was already there.. That could only happen if what was displaced had somewhere to go.. I also would point back to the early season either one or two where they initially believed they had found Chappels vault from there first attempt at digging a hole and the core sample they brought up They speculated that what was around the wood "looked like concrete" only to find later (when they actually dug one of there big holes) that what they had found was a much more recent search tunnel and there was no more mention of finding anything that looked like concrete....

Also Chappel only ever brought up a core sample so there is no way to know that the "box was surrounded" in concrete even if the core sample had some "concrete" in it.

To me the most plausible explanation of "Chappels Vault" is he simply found a previous searchers shaft (as the Laginas did later and initially assumed they had found the vault)

On a side point re concrete

After the Roman Empire collapsed, use of concrete became rare until the technology was redeveloped in the mid-18th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete

Therefore it is interesting as to who (and why) would of used this to cover a box at the speculated time that the treasure was meant to be buried...

Last edited:

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Does anyone recall that when they did the first dye test, sometime in the late 60’s, dye showed up in the swamp.
There is probably a drain there.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not rememeber reading about the swamp

To test their theory, members of the Oak Island Treasure Company decided to pour colored dye into the Money Pit. The crew reasoned that by tracing the path of the pigment, they could determine the locations of the various flood channels and ultimately obstruct them once and for all. When the team set their plan into motion, they were astonished to find the dye streaming out from the shoreline at distant points around the island's perimeter.

https://www.oakislandmoneypit.com/

1898 ..◦Over three months, tests are made of the water in the shafts. Water is pumped into shaft 18, resulting in muddy water showing up at three widely separated places near low tide of the south shore, but no muddy water at Smith's Cove. Similar results when pumping water or red dye into the Money Pit.

Chronology of the Oak Island Treasure Hunt (1861-1908)

The dye tests appear to support natural caves/cavities under the money pit area linked to the ocean. This has always been the most plausible explanation of the flooding of everyone's digging once they get below 100-120 foot. No one has been able to get any deeper without coming across sea water...

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kinda disappointed with this weeks episode.
Best part was Vanessa from ROC is back!!

Boys found more odd wooden structured buried at the cove. Knee walls to stop water I understand but the log road at the end was a Hmmmm moment. U shapped object, L shapped object, this is like Wheel of Fortune, Vanna, can we get a B over there? Def some strange stuff but it has to be searchers work.

Good old Gary, he found a Templar bracelet with a design on it. He was about to say the Templar that dropped his cross tried to pick it up and then his bracelet fell off..... Ummmm NO! Don't think so.

New theory this week... The Vikings did it! LOL. Funny stuff.
Trying to say the marks on the rock that guy found were Rune scripting? Come on, no way! When they went to the museum to compare the scripts on another rock, the other rock clearly has inscriptions on it. The new Lag rock does NOT have any inscriptions on it. Those are blast/quarry marks but if they wanna say they are Rune script we can run with that. LOL!

So at Gal 8 or H8 they are gonna pull up the can 100' or so and go through the spoils that fall back in the hole hopping the concrete covered vault that moved when the can pushed it out of the way, buried 150'+ under ground, last time. This is just crazy! When you watch the cartoons of the caisson moving the "vault" underground it just makes me laugh. Its like something off the Roadrunner show. No way this could ever happen unless 100' to 200' under OI is just Jello!

Next week they will pull up some more wood and be inches away from the Arc!

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is an old sketch by Dunfeild of what he "found" and thought re Smith Cove and the flood tunnels

View attachment 1676160

Also just read this interesting article

https://www.oakislandcompendium.ca/...-cave-in-pit-original-works-or-searchers-work

It "suggests" the Cave in Pit may of been made by searchers trying to stop the "flood Tunnels"

I forgot about this.... I followed the link and someone on the blog had one of the best posts ever.

Not from me, from some guy named Scott:

Basically, I believe the Templar did whisk away "The Ark" and other treasure from beneath the Temple Mound/Mount. (They) had to tunnel their way into the chamber to do that, which would've required, at least, dozens of loyal followers they could trust implicitly... and whom were guaranteed safe passage during their getaway. Their ocean voyage led to oak island, where they had, aling with the French, engineered and prepared the south cove hideout and money pit vault.
I suspect word got out to various pirates who then, aware of the Templar lore and presence, began to scheme and plan a way to raid the island treasure.
However, the cover wasn't a normal safe harbor shelter as it appeared, it was a very elaborate trap. The Templars knew where they stood, and they were very cunning. Knowing that pirates were raiding ships and looting treasure across the seas, and that eventually they'd need a safe place to store it, they devised the cover to lure ships in, at which point the Templar, perhaps hundreds in numbers and hiding in the tunnels, would then drain the cove, seize the ship, its treasure.. and either put the unfortunate scoundrels to work digging more tunnels, or to death.
Oak Island was an important and ingenius plan to recover looted treasure for various countries, recapture their vessels, and bring justice to those responsible.... all very nobel causes.

** A Templar Venus Fly Trap so to say?? :occasion14:

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How do you drain a cove on the ocean? It would have to be pumped out, not "drained".

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How do you drain a cove on the ocean? It would have to be pumped out, not "drained".

Come on Charlie.... easy peasy!

drain.jpg

Plus I didn't type that, just read it but liked the idea of the Templars luring in Pirates to steal their stolen treasure!!

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At low tide it was out of the water. The dam is sealed at low tide... The drains were just to drain the seepage... Or so the theory goes...

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on Charlie.... easy peasy!

View attachment 1676597

Plus I didn't type that, just read it but liked the idea of the Templars luring in Pirates to steal their stolen treasure!!

FINALY... The ice holes explained... 4 PLUGS..

iceholes.jpg

My friend you will need to change your handle from "Stretch Da Truth" to something like "Show Da Truth"

laughing11.gif

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So at Gal 8 or H8 they are gonna pull up the can 100' or so and go through the spoils that fall back in the hole hopping the concrete covered vault that moved when the can pushed it out of the way, buried 150'+ under ground, last time. This is just crazy! When you watch the cartoons of the caisson moving the "vault" underground it just makes me laugh. Its like something off the Roadrunner show. No way this could ever happen unless 100' to 200' under OI is just Jello!

I'd say it's just as likely that the can was pushed sideways (not sure exactly how though, possibly right at the edge). As we've seen, there is "jello mud" in the bottom of water caverns, but of course any large heavy object would be on the bottom and not likely to be pushed away.

will7782

Dec 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if an object is harder than surrounding material, it will push it around. push on an ice cube in water.... quick sand, etc

I think it is more likely that a piece would break off first, though

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Going And Going...Even The Energizer Bunny...Has Nothing On...The Curse Of Oak Island

Energizer Bunny.jpg

Tuesday January 26th, 2019...cable ratings: ‘Curse of Oak Island’ remains on top

ShowNetTimeTotal viewers (000s)18-49 rating
CURSE OF OAK ISLANDHISTORY9:00 PM3,5550.8
WWE SMACKDOWN: WWE SMACKDOWNUSA8:00 PM2,1370.7
NBA BASKETBALL: 76ERS/LAKERSTNT10:39 PM1,5560.7

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if an object is harder than surrounding material, it will push it around. push on an ice cube in water.... quick sand, etc

I think it is more likely that a piece would break off first, though
An ice cube will not displace water if there is no where for the water to go... You cannot compress water.. Even if it was jello (It seems like at best it is muddy clay at that depth) it cannot be compressed. The only way a big box could be moved is if there was a cavity to push it into. There is no indication that this was the case...

On top of this the caisson has big teeth and is rotating it would just rip through a wooden box... The idea that the box was surrounded in concrete has no logical reason to be the case. The was one small core sample that come up with ROTTEN wood and something that "looked like" concrete. Concrete was not even in use when the speculated chest was buried. Concrete was not used until the tech was rediscovered in the mid 18th Centenary.. So unless it was the romans....

It also must be remembered that we do not even know where Chapel was drilling. As has been shown even modern small drill core samples deviate by large amounts. Chapel was drilling in the 1890s so he was already just guessing as to where he thought the original money pit was. By the time his drill hit what he speculated was a "box" the drill hole could of been metres of to the side... It is most likely he simply drilled his core sample from a previous searchers tunnel (Chapel in further drilling was never able to locate the "vault" again).

On a side point it should be noted that the discovery of 'Chapels vault' which was meant to happen in 1897 was not even reported until 1931 (https://www.oakislandmoneypit.com/ )… Therefore there is also much doubt about what (if anything) Chapel actually found...

Last edited:

will7782

Dec 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your premise is off. try this. bake a rock in the middle of a cake. poke rock with a pencil. the rock is going to move. a contrived example, I admit, but it proves the point that something could get shifted by a drill. if you bother to read what I wrote, you'll notice that I said that I believe it more likely that a chunk would get shorn off it hit this way.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your premise is off. try this. bake a rock in the middle of a cake. poke rock with a pencil. the rock is going to move. a contrived example, I admit, but it proves the point that something could get shifted by a drill. if you bother to read what I wrote, you'll notice that I said that I believe it more likely that a chunk would get shorn off it hit this way.
I did read what you wrote.. The "vault/chest/box" was "allegedly" 7 foot high!.. There is NO WAY you can push a 7 foot high square concrete box into solid ground or clay without displacing what ever it is being pushed into. This is not cake... Cake is not solid it can be compressed.. Solid ground/clay/mud cannot be compressed.. You try it.... It must have somewhere to go in order to move out of the way of something large being pushed into it...

The land they are digging in is tightly compressed glacial till.. This is very dense earth..

John Wonnacott, who outlined the reasons why he felt that the glacial till that makes up the east end of Oak Island resists natural water flow through the soil and is unlikely to have natural voids within the tightly compressed till

https://www.oakislandcompendium.ca/blockhouse-blog/10x-and-glacial-till-and-dan-henskee

Further highlighted by the problems they were having when diffing 10x

"By the 155' depth, we were using a 'pavement breaker' to break up the 'marl', which was too tough to be broken up by the 'clay cutter'."

- Dan Henskee, December 9th 2008

They did not speculate that they had broken a section of the box off as they did not find any evidence in the tailings... I agreed with you in the sense that the drill would of smashed the box to pieces if it came into contact with it.... However the Laginas speculated they had pushed a 7 foot squarish concrete box of into the solid earth...This is what I have said is not possible...

Last edited:

will7782

Dec 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my rock in a cake example works fine. please think it out with an open mind. think how quicksand works.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
exactly. Once the object is in the "muck" it can be pushed around within the area and the muck just stays filled in around it. The ice cube can be pushed around in the glass and the water just filling in behind it as it moves around... The high level doesn't change...

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Try Bobbing For Apples!

Bobbing For Apples.jpg

Bobbing for Apples is a game much harder than it appears.

If the Vault is air tight (as I would presume) then it would float in a water filled cavity.

Any drill or poke would push it off to one side.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let me understand this . . .

Now we are to believe someone constructed a waterproof vault (for lack of a better term) and submerged it in a much larger flooded chamber 150 feet below ground and it is able to bob around in there freely?

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Let me understand this . . .

Now we are to believe someone constructed a waterproof vault (for lack of a better term) and submerged it in a much larger flooded chamber 150 feet below ground and it is able to bob around in there freely?

Precisely!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread