OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can I ask what answers you got from this season?
To me this is the main problem I now have with the show. They are not seeking answers just trying to prove their preconceived idea... Like you I am very interested in the Oak Island story and the 200+ year search for treasure...

The only question they have "proved beyond reasonable doubt" is that there is no treasure buried in the "money Pit" area. They have now dug over 10 x 60 inch holes. That is a 600 inches or a 50 square foot hole in the ground. On top of this they drilled over 60 small holes. All these holes (and ones dug by others before) have not found a single piece of treasure. If there was a treasure there evidence of it would of been found.

The proof that some of the structures were built 20-30 years before the first reported finding of the money pit would mean that there would of been people at the time living in the area that new what these were built for. The guys that found the pit originally were not the first residents in the area. There was a well established community in that area of Nova Scotia at the time the pit was found. OI had been divided up into sperate lots before the pit was found (1760s). The boys were not the first ever people to find OI. Surveyors etc had been there at least contemporarily when these structures were built. Once built they may of been in use for years.

It is probable/possible that the artificial beach at Smith Cove was built at the same time. The beach was not discovered until around 1850. By then the local knowledge of what it had been used for were most probably lost (ie this is now 80+ years after the structures were built).

The Laginas have made ZERO effort to look at why these structures were built.. They bring on any looney with a whacko theory but will not talk to local historians like J.Steele that has a logical and reasonable non treasure theory to explain Smith Cove.

The Laginas are not seeking to answer questions... They now simply are milking their cash cow....

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
You Are Saying... What Francis Bacon...Has Always Stated!

Thanks for your reply, not bashing you but offering up my thoughts on your items.

there is no latrine - I think only Dan was thinking of a latrine hundreds of feet underground.. not worth looking into. Ancient turds? Really? Waste of time...

wood cribbing from original excavations still exist - 40+ documented searches are on the books... gonna be TONS of wood underground in the MP area.

seismic readings were investigated - looks to be a waste of time and money as it didn't really show anything... they spouted out this is a void, this could be cavern, this could be a vault but it was nothing more than sand.

actual parchment was found in the pit - paper, bones, pottery and just about anything found in the MP area doesn't prove much of anything except that people were in the MP area. With 40+ search endeavors over 200+ years I would expect to find TONS of items like these.

large stone boulders appeared to be placed and not natural - Could be something could also mean nothing. Lots of people on the island over the years.... markers, graves, worship stones, Nolan moving them to help his cause... many possibilities.

90 foot stone may have been found - That was such a fake you really cant believe it.... can you? They moved it with a finger, was not close to the correct size and there were no marking on it except the two in the corner. I will not buy into it being the stone.

the well was nothing great - Surprise, surprise... I didn't think anything would be there.. maybe they were hoping for a bone? **The island to throw them a bone**

there is much to still find on the surface of OI - Yes, for sure! Hundreds of years of people living there... should be ton of stuff to find. Will take forever with Gary doing it all by himself.

The OI team is trying everything they can
- This I will give them kudos on... they are trying some neat things... the season started with some exciting tech... the loonies and crackpot theories are a bit out there but they gotta fill air time I guess.

the swamp is being crossed off the list
- Is it? Can it be? Without dredging down like they are doing in Smiths Cove, you really can't cross it off... Plus Rick will never cross anything off the list.

And then there is the Smith's cove stuff - This started out to be really cool but then I started digging into it and found references to a bunch of the "new" finds all the way back to 1930-40 range. I posted in a thread somewhere so they are not as neat or a big deal as they are making them out to be in my mind.

Once again, not dissing you but offering up my thoughts. I am not a hater of the island, the show or the bros... I like discussing this stuff and I am a so so, 50/50 believer of something being buried on the island.

I do not need someone to prove this or disprove that.... those post are getting old and hampering the discussions we use to have on here.

His Burial On Oak Island...Is A Testament...To this fact...Much Ado About Nothing!

Much Ado About Nothing.png

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now we have proof the structures at Smith Cove were not treasure searchers we can discuss what they were there for.

smithscove.jpg

I thought the BEST fit answer/theory I have seen is J.Steele's naval store theory

Her theory has Smiths Cove having a coffer dam and being dry. So maybe the U shapped structure was part of their Coffer dam. Her theory is that it was a structure/building within the cove that was part of the naval stores operation. Maybe something to help load and unload ships.

However the dating of these structures is way to recent to support her theory of this operation happening around 1720

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a hard time thinking of the u shaped structure and the addition to it towards the left ( which looks like it was added to lengthen the U shape "thing" ) as being a coffer dam. While it does fit the shape that would have been used and the beach area would have looked much different 200 years ago along with high tide height, how did it just so happen for the only part left of it is 1 log high for both structures. What are the odds of the tide tearing it down all but 1 log.. Maybe that was the only part that at the time was at ground level who knows....maybe someone tore it down as they left the island.. If the slip-way didn't get washed away how did virtually all of the coffer dam wash away...

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Thanks for your reply, not bashing you but offering up my thoughts on your items.

there is no latrine - I think only Dan was thinking of a latrine hundreds of feet underground.. not worth looking into. Ancient turds? Really? Waste of time...

wood cribbing from original excavations still exist - 40+ documented searches are on the books... gonna be TONS of wood underground in the MP area.

seismic readings were investigated - looks to be a waste of time and money as it didn't really show anything... they spouted out this is a void, this could be cavern, this could be a vault but it was nothing more than sand.

actual parchment was found in the pit - paper, bones, pottery and just about anything found in the MP area doesn't prove much of anything except that people were in the MP area. With 40+ search endeavors over 200+ years I would expect to find TONS of items like these.

large stone boulders appeared to be placed and not natural - Could be something could also mean nothing. Lots of people on the island over the years.... markers, graves, worship stones, Nolan moving them to help his cause... many possibilities.

90 foot stone may have been found - That was such a fake you really cant believe it.... can you? They moved it with a finger, was not close to the correct size and there were no marking on it except the two in the corner. I will not buy into it being the stone.

the well was nothing great - Surprise, surprise... I didn't think anything would be there.. maybe they were hoping for a bone? **The island to throw them a bone**

there is much to still find on the surface of OI - Yes, for sure! Hundreds of years of people living there... should be ton of stuff to find. Will take forever with Gary doing it all by himself.

- This I will give them kudos on... they are trying some neat things... the season started with some exciting tech... the loonies and crackpot theories are a bit out there but they gotta fill air time I guess.

- Is it? Can it be? Without dredging down like they are doing in Smiths Cove, you really can't cross it off... Plus Rick will never cross anything off the list.

And then there is the Smith's cove stuff - This started out to be really cool but then I started digging into it and found references to a bunch of the "new" finds all the way back to 1930-40 range. I posted in a thread somewhere so they are not as neat or a big deal as they are making them out to be in my mind.

Once again, not dissing you but offering up my thoughts. I am not a hater of the island, the show or the bros... I like discussing this stuff and I am a so so, 50/50 believer of something being buried on the island.

I do not need someone to prove this or disprove that.... those post are getting old and hampering the discussions we use to have on here.

These were MY questions answered. Not the collective. You take what you want from the show.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ahhhhh, nice to see some discussion going on not the prove this, disprove that.

I think the best theory for the cove presented was by gazzahk... the J.Steele's naval store theory.
I looked into it and it was pretty good. Maybe the recent log dating does not line up but how factual it the log dating?
Wasn't there something about 3 different times possible because of worms or bugs? I will have to go look for these.

Robot - are you saying I am proving Bacon was buried on the island? Not sure how I did that. Pretty cool! :occasion14:
I know you think Nolan's cross helps support this, so what did you think of the last guy using the rocks to point to spots at/near the MP?

b3y0nd3r - Just trying to get some discussion going... you don't have to participate... you said you found answers, I was curious, thought we could discuss... oh well.

n2mini - In its current form, it can be tough to see any of that being a coffer dam especially when they have this huge 30' wall currently being used. They also show all the old ones built Dan and Dunfield as being big piles of dirt. Gotta let the imagination run wild!! **Not that I believe it was a depositor coffer dam**

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think the best theory for the cove presented was by gazzahk... the J.Steele's naval store theory.
I looked into it and it was pretty good. Maybe the recent log dating does not line up but how factual it the log dating?
Wasn't there something about 3 different times possible because of worms or bugs? I will have to go look for these.
The earlier dating gave 3 possible dates and one of those is consistent with this dating. Given that this dating was done by comparing to a known tree it is probably more accurate. The gap between the logs on the U shaped structure looks to me like something was jammed in between the gap so I would speculate a wall. It is obviously a foundation for something. So I would guess
1. Wall
2. Base of pier
3. Base of a crane

I struggle to come up with anything else. But have seen others speculate it is the remnants of a building.

They did not date the plank wall in front so it is hard to know if that is pre searcher or just an attempt to block speculated flood tunnel system.

I think they are engaging in “wishful thinking” regarding what they are claiming to be part of the box drain. They found a single triangle of stones. This could have just been a coincidence of how the stones were pushed back after a previous search effort. They really have no reason to believe this is part of the box drain.

I agree with n2mini that the L shaped structure looks like an addition to the U shaped structure.

It is quite irritating they never mentioned the concrete wall again other then laird saying it was modern. Still would of like to know what its purpose was. One of the biggest criticisms I have of the show is their total unwillingness to even discuss anything that is not treasure related.

The slipway to me pretty much proves that some type of industry was operating on Oak Island in the 18th Century.

If the artificial beach at Smiths Cove was contemporary with the U shapped structure and the slipway then there is nothing left to support the idea that some major operation happened on OI pre early/mid 1700s

That brings us back to the coconut fibre dating’s……

n2mini - In its current form, it can be tough to see any of that being a coffer dam especially when they have this huge 30' wall currently being used. They also show all the old ones built Dan and Dunfield as being big piles of dirt. Gotta let the imagination run wild!! **Not that I believe it was a depositor coffer dam**
n2mini what are your speculations on the structures?

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to say what the U Shaped Structure might have been with only the base part of them both left. Not sure how close in dates they and the slipway are but if it didn't wash away it's hard to figure how much of the U Shaped Structure did. Coffer dam is the easiest to grasp but it's not very wide even with the addition, ( compared to what's it up now. Granted they had to go over board with it to make sure it worked ) but like I said the beach area would have looked much different 200 years ago so it could have easily been a coffer dam. I've been trying to think of what else could be, and wonder if there would be any reason to actually use them as a water trap to hold water for some reason..Boat dock/trap per say. I don't think they were part of a typical 4 or more sided building. I'd think more of it would be left.. Of course some of it is missing regardless of what it was, and no way to tell how tall it might have been...

cachenut

Jan 31, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say what looks like a cofferdam is probably a coffer dam. It doesn't resemble any dock I've seen. It doesn't look like a ferry dock to me. Nor a wharf. Docks are usually in protected coves (lol) but they have close protection on the sides to tie up a ship to. And it is in exacctly the right place if the drain tunnels existed in the past.

Since the top timbers are misssing I expect they were scavanged for building some houses or else some searcher tunnels. Cutting boards is a lot of work. I would expect logs since it was just a temporary buttress against incoming water. Or the original depositors may have torn them out to protect their secret.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a believer for the most part but even I have a hard time believing there is a flood tunnel from smiths cove to the money pit. Not that it couldn't be done but that's 300-400' or so and at the MP would have been 90' deep or so... ( maybe, maybe not ) On the other hand if someone did tunnel thru there once they got it dug and it filled with water how long would it have stay there. Guessing it wouldn't have evaporated below ground. So if they did build the coffer dam to use while they dug a tunnel, tore it down to let it fill with water and then cover/bury the entrance and tear down the coffer dam and leave...and here we are 100's of years later..

Last edited:

rowanns

Jan 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now we have proof the structures at Smith Cove were not treasure searchers we can discuss what they were there for.

View attachment 1704469

I thought the BEST fit answer/theory I have seen is J.Steele's naval store theory

Her theory has Smiths Cove having a coffer dam and being dry. So maybe the U shapped structure was part of their Coffer dam. Her theory is that it was a structure/building within the cove that was part of the naval stores operation. Maybe something to help load and unload ships.

However the dating of these structures is way to recent to support her theory of this operation happening around 1720

It would be interesting to get into those old maps at the NS Archives. If we are dealing with a navel presence, there should be some reference I would think. Not a visible route mind you, but there ordinarily would be words of some sort on a map. Just a thought.....

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Reaching For The Stars!

Robot - are you saying I am proving Bacon was buried on the island? Not sure how I did that. Pretty cool! :occasion14:
I know you think Nolan's cross helps support this, so what did you think of the last guy using the rocks to point to spots at/near the MP?

Stretch Da Truth - Yes, you are proving Francis Bacon's Tomb with interest generated from every one of your Posts!

I think Chris Donah is "Reaching for the Stars"!

https://www.theeternalcircle.net/the-great-serpent-mound-new-archaeoastronomy/

I believe he and some of the last Presenters using Star Maps do not have enough cross triangulation to pin point anything located on Oak Island.

When the Laginas are ready I will pin point exactly what is by the Swamp and up at the top of the island...Stay Tuned!

Interesting preview for next weeks Episode.

I believe they are going to try and relate the Treasure with supporting America's War for Independence...another wrong Presumption.

America was "Starving Poor" during this War...It was not until 1783 after the British left that the Treasure was transferred to America were it started its new prosperity.

Last edited:

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and here we are 100's of years later..

100 years from now, someone is going to uncover a steel coffer dam as well.

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100 years from now, someone is going to uncover a steel coffer dam as well.

This right here! Everything they have found is either the remnants of past searches or remnants of the past inhabitants. I honestly have never seen one solid piece of evidence that indicated any buried treasure. They tell a lot of stories about LOST evidence that previous searchers had supposedly found and then lost, but that's it!

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The "Past" Is Quickly Coming To The Present!

This right here! Everything they have found is either the remnants of past searches or remnants of the past inhabitants. I honestly have never seen one solid piece of evidence that indicated any buried treasure. They tell a lot of stories about LOST evidence that previous searchers had supposedly found and then lost, but that's it!

The Past...Will Soon Become The Present!

hardy164.jpg

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stretch Da Truth - Yes, you are proving Francis Bacon's Tomb with interest generated from every one of your Posts!

I think Chris Donah is "Reaching for the Stars"!

https://www.theeternalcircle.net/the-great-serpent-mound-new-archaeoastronomy/

I believe he and some of the last Presenters using Star Maps do not have enough cross triangulation to pin point anything located on Oak Island.

When the Laginas are ready I will pin point exactly what is by the Swamp and up at the top of the island...Stay Tuned!

Interesting preview for next weeks Episode.

I believe they are going to try and relate the Treasure with supporting America's War for Independence...another wrong Presumption.

America was "Starving Poor" during this War...It was not until 1783 after the British left that the Treasure was transferred to America were it started its new prosperity.

I would love to see you show the bro whats what and where it is but I don't think they want to find anything of value. They would first, have to give it up to the Gov and second, their cash cow show would be over. Lose lose for them. Win win for us!

I think some of these guys just make up the start map theories. See what constellations line up with the surrounding island, drink some Jack and make up a tall tale.... sounds about right as some are way out there.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used

Not really as this could have been the deciding factor on whether the MP was real or not.

I thought everything original was cleaned out by Dunfield. This proves he hasn't removed as much as claimed.

It eliminated some possibilities. Anytime you can do that, you are actually a head.

Doesn't prove much? How can you be sure? Have you examined these finds? Carbon dated them? Got expert opinions on them? Didn't think so. It is this "arm chair expert opinion" that really shows ignorance. We don't know what it means until the evidence is properly examined.

I agree. Needs more examination.

I have some inside info on this. I don't know what to make. If my info was true then this is indeed the 90 foot stone as SOLD to the brothers.

Another thing to cross off the list.

What you don't realize is, that place has been pounded.

Agreed.

The swamp needs further examination. I am confident what they will NOT find will cease their investigation of it.

The beach has been blasted and dug. Box drains were removed so they wont find them there however, if they were to trace back to the MP area, there may be a residual of it between the cove and the MP, but around 30 feet of so.

I understand and If I seemed harsh above, it is because no one as of right now can prove or disprove an theory.

You wanted a discussion, see above.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So back to the cove.
How many excavations do we currently know of?
Restall, Dunfield and Blankenship? Gilbert Heddon as well?

Curious as I am sure I read that Dunfield was using dynamite to try and stop the "flood tunnels". How many others used dynamite? The pics of Dunfield and Blankenships excavations were pretty huge, after these how could one ever hope to find evidence of the box drains or flood tunnels? I think the stuff they are finding is remnants of the back fill... I am talking about the rocks not the wooden structures.

Next post, the wooden structures...

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
So back to the cove.
How many excavations do we currently know of?
Restall, Dunfield and Blankenship? Gilbert Heddon as well?

Curious as I am sure I read that Dunfield was using dynamite to try and stop the "flood tunnels". How many others used dynamite? The pics of Dunfield and Blankenships excavations were pretty huge, after these how could one ever hope to find evidence of the box drains or flood tunnels? I think the stuff they are finding is remnants of the back fill... I am talking about the rocks not the wooden structures.

Next post, the wooden structures...

They won't IN the cove, but toward the MP the will(I think). As for the dynamite, that was in the 1850's I think.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread