Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Metal detecting and scanning beach yeilds a (cleaned?) Crossbow arrow shaft

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2013
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro Tesoro Cibola Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
    2731 times
    Metal Detecting

Metal detecting and scanning beach yeilds a (cleaned?) Crossbow arrow shaft

I'm a bored treasure hunter, watching this reality show, for how many seasons...?
    And most of what has been found, has been near surface, located with a metal detector.
    ...like that crossbow bolt - it looked clean enough to shoot once again...!
    Looking forward to that cofferdam project in completion. Then, the slow excavation of that U-shaped
    structure...
    Stick With It - It's not *IF* you'll find the good stuff , but WHEN!

Nov 2015
    817 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by eyemustdigtreasure View Post
    That is exactly what I was thinking. It looked in pretty good condition to be a piece of iron sitting in the ground for "100s" of years. Every piece of old junk they find must be spun into treasure hiders leaving it behind. That could of been part of a kids toy from 30 years ago....
    Last edited by gazzahk; Nov 28, 2018 at 10:21 PM.
    jeff of pa likes this.
    Live the moment...

Charter Member
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    9995 times
    Metal Detecting
    Is there a picture of the crossbow bolt/quarrel? Was any of the wood shaft still present?

It should be very easy to date and narrow down to region from the head and style.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Nov 2015
    817 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie P. (NY) View Post
    Is there a picture of the crossbow bolt/quarrel? Was any of the wood shaft still present?

It should be very easy to date and narrow down to region from the head and style.
    saved from screen capture

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crossbow bolt.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	1655980
    franklin likes this.
    Live the moment...

us
    Aug 2016
    Westminster, MD
    Garrett Ace 250
    742 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by gazzahk View Post
    saved from screen capture

Name:	crossbow bolt.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	1655980
    That looks more like a long blow-dart. Maybe the Hovitos from Raiders of the Lost Ark paid Oak Island a visit.

Charter Member

Jun 2015
    24129 times
    Happiness
    The preview for next week's show has the lab test run and saying it is "Roman". Didn't they get busted a few seasons ago claiming to have found a Roman knife or sword off the shore of Oak Island only to have it tested and faked ? Please do not quote me, I am just trying to remember something from quite a while back.
    jeff of pa, franklin, Kace and 1 others like this.

Dec 2003
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro
    27980 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by eyemustdigtreasure View Post
    I'm a bored treasure hunter, watching this reality show, for how many seasons...?
    And most of what has been found, has been near surface, located with a metal detector.
    Yep & Then he has the Gull to say it's So old, it belongs to Knights Templars.

Like the railroad Spike Before it.

Apparently nothing on this Island comes from the last few Treasure Hunters, Visitors or Residents,
    and Only Knights Templars Left things there

Sorry , That's how they Finally convinced me they will Never Be even Partially Honest.

add to that, Does anyone Really Think the Masonic, Archie & Government Powers that Be,
    Would allow anyone other then themselves even Bend over to Touch
    a Piece of Metal on the Island, If Related to Knights Templars ?

I Don't.

I think it would go the way of Yellowstone National Park Etc. Here in the U.S.
    land Confiscated.
    Maybe even No Access at all, Being it's Not even U.S. Territory.

It's all about the Mighty Advertising $$$$
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Nov 29, 2018 at 05:54 AM.
    T.C. likes this.

Feb 2013
    Longview, Texas
    1607 times
    SSsssssspaaaaaak = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    jeff of pa likes this.
    “The enemy never sees the backs of my Texans!" - General Robert E. Lee

"While I could never repose confidence in a Yankee, I have never been deceived by an Indian" - Daniel Boone

Charter Member
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    9995 times
    Metal Detecting
    Was the whole bolt metal? That would be Chinese and of light draw weight if that's all there was to it. Put that on the end of a 300 lb pull crossbow and it would collapse on release.

European crossbow quarrels were finger diameter dowels with a heavy metal tip. The "bodkin" small tipped ones to pierce mail looked like the two on the left:

On a wood shaft because to be stable in flight the front has to weigh more than the rear. Fletching optional.

The image you show above looks like a flax puller for redoing boat caulk and shaft packing. Was it iron? Damn good shape for 600 year old iron on a saltwater-surrounded island.

Presuming Medieval French . . .
    Last edited by Charlie P. (NY); Nov 29, 2018 at 10:54 AM.
    alan m, dts52 and sonofdust like this.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

us
    Jan 2017
    Pennsylvania
    102 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon1 View Post
    The preview for next week's show has the lab test run and saying it is "Roman". Didn't they get busted a few seasons ago claiming to have found a Roman knife or sword off the shore of Oak Island only to have it tested and faked ? Please do not quote me, I am just trying to remember something from quite a while back.
    Yes, It came from Roman's Machine Shop

Your Bud Aurum
    alan m and dts52 like this.

us
    Jan 2016
    NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
    Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
    3438 times
    I gave up on that show midway through season 3. The story that started it all doesn't even sound like a good reason to dig the first 10 foot deep hole... And where is all the stuff they supposedly found?

It's not so much a "Docuseries" as it is a "Got You Series"
    Last edited by Icewing; Nov 29, 2018 at 12:22 PM.
    franklin and jeff of pa like this.
    “During the gold rush its a good time to be in the pick and shovel business.” Mark Twain

us
    Feb 2010
    878 times
    I too thought the crossbow bolt was in really good shape for it's supposed age and location found. I did land survey work for 12 years and thought the "bolt" could also be a chaining pin from years ago. The ones we used were about that size dia., about a foot long with a ring circle at the top and pointed at the bottom. No ring and the point is different but same idea.
    I am not buying the boat spike they found before the bolt as being that old. As a surveyor we used boat spikes as survey points, so they could be more or less permanent as opposed to a wooden hub with a tack being temporary. They are about 3/4" square, 16" long with a stamped head that looks like a squared rivet. Put a punch mark in the top and you have a survey point when driven into the ground. We bought them new in the 70's/80's. They were iron and held up well for the 10 yrs. or so I used them but doubt they would make 1,000 yrs. Good luck.
    franklin, jeff of pa and Raparee like this.

Nov 2015
    817 times
    Quote Originally Posted by uglymailman View Post
    I too thought the crossbow bolt was in really good shape for it's supposed age and location found. I did land survey work for 12 years and thought the "bolt" could also be a chaining pin from years ago.
    They have know idea weather it is a crossbow bolt... It does not look like any crossbow bolt that I have seen when looking on the internet (or others have found on the internet). The other metal spikes/hooks which Gary claims were from the 1700s were encrusted with rust. The "bolt" which they are speculating is ffrom back in the day when crossbows were used would be well before that and almost zero noticeable rust.

Just do a google image search on crossbow bolts and all the arrow heads look much different from that tiny "arrow" shaped head on that iron/steel spike.

I agree with you. That is most likely a piece of something else...
    Live the moment...

Nov 2015
    817 times
    The looney they had that claimed the "ancient" roman sword (Which was shown to be a modern fake) also claimed this was a Roman crossbow bolt

Name:  5696328.png
Views: 969
Size:  58.0 KB

This one was found to be a logging Pole point....

https://www.oakislandcompendium.ca/b...-get-the-point

If you take a look at this link it also look a lot like that the hook they found was also similar to the one on the logging pole.

Name:	hook.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	1656133
    Last edited by gazzahk; Nov 29, 2018 at 07:51 PM.
    jeff of pa and uglymailman like this.
    Live the moment...

Charter Member
    ca
    Mar 2014
    680 times
    Oak Island Treasure

When You Have The Opportunity To Visit A Pirate's Home...You Won't Find Tea Cups!

What would you expect to find on the property of a well know...Pirate!

Boarding Tools!

Pirate Boarding Pikes

Name:	Naval Boarding Pikes.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	1656150

Pirate Boarding Hooks

Name:	Naval Boarding Hooks.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	28.5 KB