Roman Numerals on timbers.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, maybe them Romans made it from NY to Texas. They are called "marriage marks".

15-Timber-Frame-Barn-Original-Marriage-Marks-Roman-Numerals-Texas-Ranch-Architect-Steve-Chambers.jpg

Marriage-Mark-in-a-latge-barn-home.jpg

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I seem to remember that we had this same discussion here a couple seasons ago when they found some other timber with a Roman numeral on it.

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Roman sword making Roman numerals?

Could it be?
Could it be?
Could it be?

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were only trying to find what Dan found years ago and the Roman numbers lets them know it is the same structure. That is the only big deal about the Roman Numbers. They aren't making a big deal out of them. Now to try to figure out what it was for. Granted the guy thinking it was an original coffer dam is crazy. Who builds a dam 1 log high. 12'' or so at most....

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did anyone else notice that the roman numerals look totally different? Like in how and who carved them?
The X and the III were very deep and done very nice... with care and love and meant to last.
The VII that Rick found looked like Ricky Restall carved it in with his Sheriff badge... haphazardly and not to last.

Last edited:

Caryl

Feb 2, 2008
I don't put a lot of stock in that. Different craftsmen, different builders, have different ways of doing things even if it was done at the same time, it may have been a different team.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also using a different type blade etc. Might have even been someones kid helping dad on his end of the log and dad let the boy carve lines in it etc... didn't need to be perfect just good enough to reassemble it by... Even we Americans use Roman Numerals when taking a log cabin/barn down to be able to reassemble. Have you ever tried to carve an 8 into a log with any kind of blade

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
also using a different type blade etc. Might have even been someones kid helping dad on his end of the log and dad let the boy carve lines in it etc... didn't need to be perfect just good enough to reassemble it by... Even we Americans use Roman Numerals when taking a log cabin/barn down to be able to reassemble. Have you ever tried to carve an 8 into a log with any kind of blade

I have been a Carpenter for 25 years so wood working comes easy to me. I can make just about anything. There was just such a HUGE difference between the way they were carved it begged to be questioned.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you on they are much different but unless they can prove that some how one log is much older then the other one it doesn't really matter. ( which would mean someone added to the structure years later for some reason ) No reason for them to "fake" the carvings since they found them...

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome one gr88bd!

n2mini, Were talking about OI, you know, Templar cross, Roman sword... nothing ever has been faked... recent fake 90' stone... cough, cough. :occasion14:
Didn't say they were fake but the carvings make me think of different people at different times doing this. Just a thought. :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread