Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rabidus

Dec 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those interested in reading the original documents from the oldest reports of Oak Island Money Pit this is an excellent collection..

https://www.oakislandcompendium.ca/...ak_island_docs_compiled_by_les_m_may_2014.pdf

It is nice to see how stuff was actually reported back at the time and not just what people have said hundreds of years later...

Enjoy...

I've read just about everything on there. It is a great collection. I find it certainly puts context around many of the tropes we've heard over the years.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still believe Petter Amundsen's work on Shakespeare proves that a treasure was placed on Oak Island. Whether they are looking in the right area, I don't know. Or whether the treasure is still there or has it been removed. It would have been nice to see what kind of symbols was on those three oak trees surrounding the "money Pit" when first found. I have heard of other treasures buried by pirates that were placed in or surrounded by trees. I also believe the treasure part of the treasure was removed after 1620 and at one time was in Jamestown and later Williamsburg, Virginia after the Bacon Rebellion.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peter Amundsen has certainly written a lot of fictional stories. If any were true he would have already found a treasure and be retired on a remote island.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe what you will.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
adding a couple docs

The Oak Island Company
[Also known as The Halifax Company]

captain J.W. Welling account of their dig
The Voice, 1912-03-15 (Page 6)
https://digitalcollections.lib.umanitoba.ca/islandora/object/uofm:2755789

3 more persons beside Ball living on island

Census Returns, Assessment and
Poll Tax Records, 1791-1795
https://novascotia.ca/archives/census/returnsTax.asp?ID=236
https://archives.novascotia.ca/

the marriage of a Samuel Ball

last:ball given: s
https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/
marriage
Ball, Samuel Johnson, Sarah Halifax County 1797
death
Ball, Samuel Liverpool, Queens County 1869

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
adding a couple docs

The Oak Island Company
[Also known as The Halifax Company]

captain J.W. Welling account of their dig
The Voice, 1912-03-15 (Page 6)
https://digitalcollections.lib.umanitoba.ca/islandora/object/uofm:2755789

3 more persons beside Ball living on island

Census Returns, Assessment and
Poll Tax Records, 1791-1795
https://novascotia.ca/archives/census/returnsTax.asp?ID=236
https://archives.novascotia.ca/

the marriage of a Samuel Ball

last:ball given: s
https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/
marriage
Ball, Samuel Johnson, Sarah Halifax County 1797
death
Ball, Samuel Liverpool, Queens County 1869

As always CW0909 your research and links are second to none. Thank you.

dmg2016

Feb 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Below are a few more mid to late 19th century documents related to Oak Island:

Rambles among the Blue-Noses
Andrew Learmont Spedon, 1863
- A brief history of Oak Island

History of the County of Lunenburg
Mather B DesBrisay, 1870

The Maritime provinces: a handbook for travellers
Moses Foster Sweetser, 1875

The Phantom Ship
Miscellaneous poems
James C. Millar, 1885
- A short poem mentioning Oak Island

The Schoolmaster or The Hecke Thaler
The Old Judge: Or, Life in a Colony
Thomas Chandler Haliburton, 1849
- This is a fictitious sketch written by a Nova Scotian author. The sketch was adapted from Haliburton's 1833 sketch, "The Schoolmaster's Experience in Newgate", that appeared in Fraser's Magazine. Although the work is fiction, I think the last half of the sketch draws upon the story of Oak Island (This part of the story was not included in Haliburton's 1833 sketch); however, I should note that I could not find any evidence to corroborate my claim.

DMG

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That film reminds me that when they found what they believed were the flood tunnels they looked to be made out of wood..

SSR

Sep 24, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are no documents for any searches that are alleged to have occurred before 1848 on OI. Many people link to historical details and persons that are mentioned in later accounts as a way to weasel their way into involving earlier events that are not properly linked to the story in fact. The entire 1804 account is without evidence. Many have tried to produce tangible proofs. All have failed. At this time the story begins in and around 1848 with men selling shares in a treasure hunt. We can, if we want, examine what exists in print at this time that could have served as inspiration for the earlier accounts. There is some of that, but it resides in a work of fiction.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but you know there were "things" going on, on the island well before that date. Just because no one has found a printed story about it doesn't mean it didn't happen.. The story could have actually been over by then if someone really did find a treasure as their descendants claim..

SSR

Sep 24, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Below are a few more mid to late 19th century documents related to Oak Island:

Rambles among the Blue-Noses
Andrew Learmont Spedon, 1863

History of the County of Lunenburg
Mather B DesBrisay, 1870

The Maritime provinces: a handbook for travellers
Moses Foster Sweetser, 1875

The Phantom Ship
Miscellaneous poems
James C. Millar, 1885
- A short poem mentioning Oak Island

The Schoolmaster or The Hecke Thaler
The Old Judge: Or, Life in a Colony
Thomas Chandler Haliburton, 1849
- This is a fictitious sketch written by a Nova Scotian author. The sketch was adapted from Haliburton's 1833 sketch, "The Schoolmaster's Experience in Newgate", that appeared in Fraser's Magazine. Although the work is fiction, I think the last half of the sketch draws upon the story of Oak Island (This part of the story was not included in Haliburton's 1833 sketch); however, I should note that I could not find any evidence to corroborate my claim.

DMG
Haliburton's work is actually the best source we have for inspiration of the OI stories that are as fictitious as his. His account mentions details that we only start to be given later in the legends of OI. The published accounts predate the known searcher history and the dates we end up being given for OI events reflect dates of importance in Haliburton's life. His own origin story starts in 1795. The story we get mimics that. His chapter 2 relates to events 40 years earlier. That detail is made to compute in the OI legends. Haliburton built his allegory on the Enohian myth and the Pilgrim's Progress. These two things bleed into the OI stories later. If Haliburton was only chronicling OI searches he would not have understood the fine details of what was to come out later as interpretations. His symbolic allegory is the framework on which the OI stories are built starting around 1849. It is with the recollections of Vaughn that we start to be given details that we can see inspiration from Haliburton. There are none of these details given prior to Haliburton. The Francis Bacon theories also come out of Haliburton. His cousin, Jessy Burton, had a daughter who later formed the Francis Bacon society. She also was a very well read author of Bacon as Shakespeare under the pen name Mary Constance Fearon Pott. Haliburton lived with the family in the years prior to the publishing of The Old Judge. If you study the work there are details in it to point to Bacon and it is no surprise to me that those who were looking in this work for clues fell on them and incorporated them. Exactly at the height of Pott's fame we start to get the shifting of the OI story to a vault of Tudor documents. Before her that was not on the radar. If all this is true then Haliburton knew the whole solution to start off. He didn't. What ends up happening is that his work looks very prescient as the stories start to take on the flavour of his book, and then men actually start dying in shafts in Chester Bay. All OI buffs need to get acquainted with The Old Judge. In my opinion it has never been given its proper due and it has been erroneously seen as based in concealed truths.

Last edited:

HIO

Greenie
Oct 27, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anybody have any information on the 1885/1886 manuscript written by Reverend W. J. Rakey about the life of James Pattillo? It is supposed to state that the original discovery of the money pit occurred sometime between 1784 and 1794, when Alexander Pattillo owned property on the island. I have not been able to locate a copy of this account. I believe it use to be on the late Paul Wroclawski’s website, oakislandtheories.com. I have tried reaching out to the Cape Ann Museum, but it is not in their collection.

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those interested in reading the original documents from the oldest reports of Oak Island Money Pit this is an excellent collection..

https://www.oakislandcompendium.ca/...ak_island_docs_compiled_by_les_m_may_2014.pdf

It is nice to see how stuff was actually reported back at the time and not just what people have said hundreds of years later...

Enjoy...

Hola Amigo

I have some earlier documents predating 1795 pertaining to Oak island before anyone even thought of buried treasure being there?

1st The original document of the poll tax for Chester county. With a list of farmers living on the island.

Poll tax records 1791.JPG

2nd The original 1784 survey of 1000 acres Oak Island being granted to Col Edmund Fanning of the Kings American regiment.

col  Edmund Fanning 1784.jpg

And even an illustration of him.

edmund_fanning.jpg

I hope this puts some things into perspective?

Kanacki

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I still believe Petter Amundsen's work on Shakespeare proves that a treasure was placed on Oak Island...
I also believe the treasure part of the treasure was removed after 1620 and at one time was in Jamestown and later Williamsburg, Virginia after the Bacon Rebellion.
Is there any actual factual evidence that these beliefs are based?

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Until a "treasure" is found, there will be no "proof". Its very existence is only conjecture. What little evidence that has been found does NOT give any indication of "treasure", only of human occupancy and some activity - but no activity that reasonably or rationally suggests buried treasure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread