Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: The "U" shaped structure

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    11219 times
    Metal Detecting
    These are all images of Oak Island. Where ar the old structures? Dug, dozed, scraped away to be searched under. At least 12 groups have excavated the island looking for treasure. It's like wondering where the candles were on a birthday cake AFTER the dozen eight-year olds at the party had been served.

And the "U" shaped structure is on the left of the image below (about even with the white vehicle) where Dunfield had built the retaining wall out into the bay in the 1960's.

Last edited by Charlie P. (NY); Feb 02, 2019 at 03:43 PM.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Nov 2015
    1091 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smiths cove l shapped.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	1677007Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smiths cove.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	1677008

I think the circled area is the L shaped structure
    franklin and Stretch Da Truth like this.
    Live the moment...

Feb 2013
    Longview, Texas
    1854 times
    Looks lime a swastika to me
    “The enemy never sees the backs of my Texans!" - General Robert E. Lee

"While I could never repose confidence in a Yankee, I have never been deceived by an Indian" - Daniel Boone

Dec 2018
    61 times
    if there were an enterprise on OI, it certainly would have dominated that small island, yes? the cove area could be where the business activity occurred, but where did the rest of life happen? the rest of the island has remained pretty much as found, I believe.

are there any good photos of the area as it is now?
    b3y0nd3r likes this.

Nov 2015
    1091 times
    Quote Originally Posted by will7782 View Post
    if there were an enterprise on OI, it certainly would have dominated that small island, yes? the cove area could be where the business activity occurred, but where did the rest of life happen? the rest of the island has remained pretty much as found, I believe.

are there any good photos of the area as it is now?
    It is "speculated" that the swamp may have been an attempt to make a freshwater dam to service the operation.

I am interested to see if the Laginas can find evidence that the swamp is man made..
    Live the moment...

ca
    Feb 2016
    Nova Scotia
    567 times
    The U-shaped structure was excavated and dated some years ago. C-14 testing resulted in a date of 1860 +/- 30 years. Samples were also sent to a dendrochronologist who came back with a range of dates, one of which was the late 1800's. The wood used was red spruce. All this info is available at the Oak Island Compendium.
    franklin, Robot, burlbark and 1 others like this.
    "The Templar theory is an example of what happens when someone gets an idea and then attempts to find evidence to prove it, rather than evaluating the evidence and then forming a theory to explain it."

--Dave Rishar.

Charter Member
    ca
    Mar 2014
    939 times
    Oak Island Treasure
    Quote Originally Posted by Raparee View Post
    The U-shaped structure was excavated and dated some years ago. C-14 testing resulted in a date of 1860 +/- 30 years. Samples were also sent to a dendrochronologist who came back with a range of dates, one of which was the late 1800's. The wood used was red spruce. All this info is available at the Oak Island Compendium.
    But, Why was it built?
    The search for "Truth" and "Justice" is my "Prime Directive."

ca
    Feb 2016
    Nova Scotia
    567 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Robot View Post
    But, Why was it built?
    i don't know. First figure out what it is, then figure out why it was built.
    "The Templar theory is an example of what happens when someone gets an idea and then attempts to find evidence to prove it, rather than evaluating the evidence and then forming a theory to explain it."

--Dave Rishar.

Dec 2018
    61 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Raparee View Post
    i don't know. First figure out what it is, then figure out why it was built.

that is the point of this thread. what the hell was it for?
    Robot and b3y0nd3r like this.

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    11219 times
    Metal Detecting
    See post #8 - possibly a crib dock (like similar structures built in Canada). Time and tide rotted away the parts that weren't buried in the muck.

https://www.woodyboater.com/blog/2013/02/08/sticks-stones-a-traditional-les-cheneaux-crib-dock-replacement-project/

Last edited by Charlie P. (NY); Feb 05, 2019 at 12:18 PM.
    alan m, MikeN and patiodadio like this.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

us
    Stretch

Jan 2017
    XP Déus & a Carrot!
    1073 times
    Metal Detecting
    Nice Pics guys! Thanks!
    Charlie's is an old pic from Dunfield's and his attempt. Tough to see details, would like to compare to a pic of Dan's dig.

Gazzahk's looks to be newer like maybe Lag boys attempt with newer gear but I couldn't clearly see the dam wall. Maybe my orientation. Will look for a color one or maybe take a pic off tonight's show depending on what they show.

Dec 2018
    61 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie P. (NY) View Post
    See post #8 - possibly a crib dock (like similar structures built in Canada). Time and tide rotted away the parts that weren't buried in the muck.

https://www.woodyboater.com/blog/2013/02/08/sticks-stones-a-traditional-les-cheneaux-crib-dock-replacement-project/

the problem that I have with the dock idea is the notches that are cut on a 45* angle, and there does not appear to have been anything other than the notches on the top side. see what I mean?

your dock pic has everything horizontal, not angled up. makes me wonder why.

us
    Apr 2011
    2 times
    Did anyone notice the long (modern-day) cable protruding from the dirt (about 4 feet down), after Billy scooped away some earth. Good old Rick and another fella (can't recall) were down in the ditch with shovels. The cable was definitely modern, and the exposed part might have been about 20 feet (looped). What is THAT doing there?
    sasquash likes this.
    Cerca Trova

us
    Apr 2011
    2 times
    And there was absolutely no reaction form Rick and crew. The cable then poofed after an edit . . . never to be seen again.
    sasquash likes this.
    Cerca Trova

Mar 2014
    Garrett AT Pro
    653 times
    The smiths cove area has been dug up so many times. As Charlie P. (NY) pointed out in a thread somewhere, there are posted signs leading to the common wharf structure that the brothers are “re-discovering”. After folks stop watching the show, in another 20-30 years someone else will “discover the mysterious u shaped structure” and start another show after the current show is forgotten.

They are so desperate that they made up their own “cryptic stone” after figuring out it was public knowledge that a “90 foot stone” was a fake created by a company looking to continue to milk investors.

Yep.....the island has never had anything deposited in it except for stuff put down outhouse holes or common items that folks dropped out of the pockets. No bacon/shakespheare/amundson fictional beal code items, etc.

The average guy with a $600 metal detector finds more items in a 4 hour session than these guys have found in years after fleecing advertisers of millions.....
    alan m and G.A.P.metal like this.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links