The "U" shaped structure

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was theorized that there were two sets of flood tunnels. in the 1800s, concentrated dye was poured into the money pit and the dye appeared on both sides of the island.
i agree with this statement. It has been theorized

"#7 We also traced out a flooding tunnel from the "Money Pit". This tunnel was followed 1155' away to the opposite side of the island. We later put in dye in the "Pit" and pumped in thousands of gallons of water, and went skin diving in order to find out where it was leading to. It showed up at this location 1155' away about 3 to 4 hours later."
https://www.oakislandcompendium.ca/blockhouse-blog/archives/02-2016

1941 Edward Hamilton had done some dye tests in the Money Pit which resulted in dye emerging off South Shore.
Oak Island Gallery

red dye.jpg

source: Oak Island and Its Lost Treasure: Third Edition
By Graham Harris, Les MacPhie

However this premise of those theorizing this is simply absurd... The dye test came out over 1000 feet away from the money pit area. It would mean the "depositers" would of had to dig over 1000 feet of tunnel to connect their flood tunel when they had the ocean only 100-150 foot away... Who would do this? It makes zero sense.

As in the case of Occam's razor (is a principle from philosophy. Suppose there exist two explanations for an occurrence. In this case the one that requires the least speculation is usually better). it is much more plausible that the natural underground cavities that they have discovered full of sea water are connected to the Southern shore of Oak Island and this is why the dye emerged there.

NONE of those who "speculated" the existence of these 1000+ foot man made tunnels have found any evidence of their existence...

It seems that they were just "clutching at straws" to explain something they were not expecting that fitted in with their belief that treasure was buried there.

However.. as I said before it is simply absurd that any treasure depositer would build such a tunnel system....

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

will7782

Dec 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
about the "U"....

I will speculate, which requires some assumptions. I am hoping to not debate the assumptions. that is what happens all too often.

it is well known that sea levels change due to many factors. erosion being the simplest. so, I think that the structure could have been built on dry land or in very shallow water, at low tide.

does not appear to be a wall as the only features are the 45* notches. I fall back to the thought of it being some type of hoist. makes no sense that it was to load or unload cargo. not on that useless island. and then there is the "path".

so how is this for a thought. IF (notice I am stressing "if") there was something you wanted buried, build a hoist out in a shallow bay, use it as many speculate the oak tree was used. dig straight down there. the path would be used to cart away the dug up material and then to refill the hole when your task is complete. possibly a 2 or 3 foot coffer dam that could make it possible to start a bit below sea level. making it feasible to only require dismanteling the hoist part of the structure, eliminating the low coffer damn, and voila, the sea water hides any evidence of the work.

have at it......

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why not build the hoist on the ship and leave no evidence at all? Come too think of it - the ship already had a mast and yards. Instant hoist. Fishing boats lift heavy nets, warships lift cannon, etc.

Ever watched anyone replace a 300 lb diesel auxiliary engine in a 30 ft sailboat using the mast and boom?

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i agree with this statement. It has been theorized

https://www.oakislandcompendium.ca/blockhouse-blog/archives/02-2016

Oak Island Gallery

View attachment 1678730

source: Oak Island and Its Lost Treasure: Third Edition
By Graham Harris, Les MacPhie

However this premise of those theorizing this is simply absurd... The dye test came out over 1000 feet away from the money pit area. It would mean the "depositers" would of had to dig over 1000 feet of tunnel to connect their flood tunel when they had the ocean only 100-150 foot away... Who would do this? It makes zero sense.

As in the case of Occam's razor (is a principle from philosophy. Suppose there exist two explanations for an occurrence. In this case the one that requires the least speculation is usually better). it is much more plausible that the natural underground cavities that they have discovered full of sea water are connected to the Southern shore of Oak Island and this is why the dye emerged there.

NONE of those who "speculated" the existence of these 1000+ foot man made tunnels have found any evidence of their existence...

It seems that they were just "clutching at straws" to explain something they were not expecting that fitted in with their belief that treasure was buried there.

However.. as I said before it is simply absurd that any treasure depositer would build such a tunnel system....

It’s been proven beyond a shadow of doubt that man made flood tunnels have never existed on the island and that the island contains many naturally occurring underground water passages.

It has also been proven that:
a) No “money pit ever existed (the only thing the brothers have found is trash from previous diggers)
b) No flood tunnels ever existed
c) No 90 foot stone was ever discovered.
d) All of the bacon/shakespheare/amundson theories and story’s are just fiction to generate book income
e) The “curse of oak island” show is a scripted fictional reality show.
f) The island has been used for hundreds of years and everything found/to be found are common items associated with human habitation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

will7782

Dec 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not build the hoist on the ship and leave no evidence at all? Come too think of it - the ship already had a mast and yards. Instant hoist. Fishing boats lift heavy nets, warships lift cannon, etc.

Ever watched anyone replace a 300 lb diesel auxiliary engine in a 30 ft sailboat using the mast and boom?

we are talking about a very shallow bay. perhaps even dry at low tide. ever consider how much water depth a 30' sloop needs even with its keel raised? that's why.

OP
OP
W

will7782

Dec 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s been proven beyond a shadow of doubt that man made flood tunnels have never existed on the island and that the island contains many naturally occurring underground water passages.

a) No “money pit ever existed (the only thing the brothers have found is trash from previous diggers)
d) All of the bacon/shakespheare/amundson theories and story’s are just fiction to generate book income
f) The island has been used for hundreds of years and everything found/to be found are common items associated with human habitation.

a) the purpose of this thread is in the title. no mention of treasure there.
b) not holding something in your hand is not proof that it does not exist. have you been to Egypt ? do pyramids REALLY exist ?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What if the two million pounds in gold has already been recovered?

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
virtually nothing has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt either way on the island. Not sure why singlestack keeps saying that. There is no way to prove or disprove the stone at this point. Most people do believe that the Money Pit Area was there. The question has always been did it ever have treasure in it. Maybe it never did, maybe it's already been found. No way to prove it either way unless someone some how finds it now...

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed

It is "plausible" the story told by the old ladies (descendants) that a small amount of treasure was found by the first 3 guys. Personally I find this story credible as to me it explains the rest. Ie These guys become rich and the rumor of treasure got out... Everyone else has just gone back looking for more digging deeper in an empty hole...

It may also the case that Sam Ball found "treasure" on OI but there is nothing to suggest this came from the pit. It is also possible his wealth had nothing to with the island.
Yes.. This has been proven.. The Laginas coffer dam prove this...
A stone was discovered (probably) however the "readable code" that was translated never come from the original stone. The code was a hoax to raise money.. The original stone had no readable code on it. Even the stone size that was claimed by the people trying to raise money that claimed the translated code was a different size. So a stone with some "markings and scathes" was probably found but it was most likely natural and the finders did not believe it had a code on it.
Yes.. I agree.. These theories have ZERO evidence to support them.. They are based on unsupported assertion and reading things into natural phenomena..
I do not think it started out as this but is has definitely moved that way.. The planting of the stone in the basement has totally shot the Laginas credibility as to what they say they are finding and where.. I find Laird believable and credible..
Agree... But there is a mystery.. Something happened on OI pre the treasure search... I find J.Steeles theory of a Naval Stores operation the most credible I have heard..

I am hoping the Laginas excavation of Smith Cove and the Swamp will finally find evidence to answer what industry took place on OI.. However it was not burying a amazing treasure at below 200+ foot... Everyone would of drowned as it is NOT POSSIBLE to dig a 200 foot hole in the "money pit" area and not drown..

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
we are talking about a very shallow bay. perhaps even dry at low tide. ever consider how much water depth a 30' sloop needs even with its keel raised? that's why.

That's why I think the "U Structure" is part of a crib dock. Docks are very common along shorelines.

And lets talk about that. A ship's gig (like a whaleboat) was typically 28 ft long or so, six feet wide and had a draft of less than a foot (deeper with load).

Thats why they anchored the ships out and used the gigs to come ashore.

28 ft Beetle Whaleboat.
9638101116_332cd305b6.jpg

Last edited:

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800

Oh. Good. Since you so firmly believe this, it doesn't make sense for you to stick around on this thread does it?

OP
OP
W

will7782

Dec 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
people. please stop with treasure talk in this thread. there are several others where you can scream all you want about it. i want this to be an adult conversation about what we can put our hands on. primarily the structure.

now it is speculated that a whale boat would be easier than a fixed hoist to dig a hole in the bay. i doubt it i would think it would be far too unstable. if you put a #300 weight off the side of that boat, it'd likely capsize. hell, you have to displace cargo and people in those things. whale boat = bad idea

Last edited:

Chasinmendo

Feb 9, 2019
Mendocino Coast of California
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While the carbon dating technique may not work if the logs are cored there is a database of tree rings and they can be identified to date ranges based on climate data.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's dendrochronology.

And a good idea if they had any interest in actually running the site like a historical/scientific expedition instead of a Reality TV circus.

More likely they would get a psychic to lay hands on it and communicate with the lumberjack that cut the log.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While the carbon dating technique may not work if the logs are cored there is a database of tree rings and they can be identified to date ranges based on climate data.

https://www.oakislandcompendium.ca/blockhouse-blog/u-shaped-structure-dendrochronology-update

This date range from growth rings and budworm infestations which happen every 40 years

So the lab is quite sure that one of these three periods is correct and that means our sample probably dates to either 1695, 1747 or 1858.

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this thing intrigues me. would love to hear serious opinions of its purpose.
I guess we shall find out if there is more beneath the walkway, but till then, what was it for?

I'm glad you started this thread, I have enjoyed watching the show this year and hope they find some answers before the show ends.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To add to the conversation... This was discovered by Dan back when he first exposed the U shaped structure

box%20sled.jpg

bjcvieira

Sep 25, 2015
LIsbon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I don't know what was the purpose of the structure but i can say by the aspect of the wood it has maximum 150/200 years, i have seen wood in similar conditions (in ocean water) from ships and even structures like the ones that are in Portugal from 1755 used to rebuild lisbon after an earthquake. That wood is in prety good state with no black color , not really old for sure... Can be a military ship dock ?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does" below" mean closer to the water, further south, or underneath? And if underneath, that would indicate it or some portion of it was destroyed.

Soooo. Perhaps the sled was used to haul the rocks used to make a crib/dock art the shoreline. (For boats, not treasure offloading). No sense making structures to secretly hide something.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed

It is "plausible" the story told by the old ladies (descendants) that a small amount of treasure was found by the first 3 guys. Personally I find this story credible as to me it explains the rest. Ie These guys become rich and the rumor of treasure got out... Everyone else has just gone back looking for more digging deeper in an empty hole...

It may also the case that Sam Ball found "treasure" on OI but there is nothing to suggest this came from the pit. It is also possible his wealth had nothing to with the island.
Yes.. This has been proven.. The Laginas coffer dam prove this...
A stone was discovered (probably) however the "readable code" that was translated never come from the original stone. The code was a hoax to raise money.. The original stone had no readable code on it. Even the stone size that was claimed by the people trying to raise money that claimed the translated code was a different size. So a stone with some "markings and scathes" was probably found but it was most likely natural and the finders did not believe it had a code on it.
Yes.. I agree.. These theories have ZERO evidence to support them.. They are based on unsupported assertion and reading things into natural phenomena..
I do not think it started out as this but is has definitely moved that way.. The planting of the stone in the basement has totally shot the Laginas credibility as to what they say they are finding and where.. I find Laird believable and credible..
Agree... But there is a mystery.. Something happened on OI pre the treasure search... I find J.Steeles theory of a Naval Stores operation the most credible I have heard..

I am hoping the Laginas excavation of Smith Cove and the Swamp will finally find evidence to answer what industry took place on OI.. However it was not burying a amazing treasure at below 200+ foot... Everyone would of drowned as it is NOT POSSIBLE to dig a 200 foot hole in the "money pit" area and not drown..

No stone was ever discovered at 90 feet. Neither were oak platforms at every 10 feet. All parts of the hoax story.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread