The "U" shaped structure

will7782

Dec 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this thing intrigues me. would love to hear serious opinions of its purpose.

as I have said, it appears to be the base of what could be a hoist. there was some type of wood walk way or ramp exposed this week. I am not clear where this feature lies in relation to the structure, but if it is in the middle, it would support the thought that it might be to load or unload something...tar, chests, rocks...that matters not. i've been thinking, if this were part of a fishing or tar processing operation, then surely there would be many examples of a very similar structure as well as well blueprints that were shared. there was clearly a plan as the parts were labeled for assembly with the roman numerals.

I guess we shall find out if there is more beneath the walkway, but till then, what was it for?

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this thing intrigues me. would love to hear serious opinions of its purpose.

as I have said, it appears to be the base of what could be a hoist. there was some type of wood walk way or ramp exposed this week. I am not clear where this feature lies in relation to the structure, but if it is in the middle, it would support the thought that it might be to load or unload something...tar, chests, rocks...that matters not. i've been thinking, if this were part of a fishing or tar processing operation, then surely there would be many examples of a very similar structure as well as well blueprints that were shared. there was clearly a plan as the parts were labeled for assembly with the roman numerals.

I guess we shall find out if there is more beneath the walkway, but till then, what was it for?
I think that it was interesting that Laird (The one most likely to tell the truth as his reputation is on line and he is the official archeologist required under Canadian law) view is that all the wooden structures found so far (with possible exception of oldest pier they just found under the newer pier) are all made by searchers. They all seem to be around the area where the box drains were found and seem shaped to try to block the "flood tunnels'..

What was built in the early attempts to recover the 'treasure' from the pit is not very well documented. The original find was in 1795 the first written reports were not until the 1860s and by then there had been numerous attempts to dig the pit..

J.Steele in her book put forward the theory that there was a Naval stores operation on Oak Island sometime pre the pit being discovered. Here theory has the coffer dam being used to keep Smiths Cove empty of water and the box drains to drain of the seepage. She thinks some of thos estructures in Smith Cove could of been part of the operation so it is possible if her theory is right they may of been the base of a crane or something.

Because of the immersion in salt Water carbon dating of the timber is not accurate (Do not understand the science)

This research https://www.oakislandcompendium.ca/blockhouse-blog/u-shaped-structure-dendrochronology-update based on "infestations of spruce budworms," that happen about every 40 years has the timber form the U shapped structure as either from

1659 to 1695 (meaning the tree sprouted in 1659 and was cut down in 1695), or 1711 to 1747, or 1822 to 1858

I am hoping some discarded tools show up as that should give some indication of when these were built...

cachenut

Jan 31, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The u shaped logs resemble the buttress for a bridge. Or a landing for a ferry. Sort of a dirt ramp encased in logs. A place to land goods without going through the mud and muck. A boat ramp for instance. No I don't think someone tried to build a bridge or a ferry dock but the shape of the structure at its base is similar to those. It might be needed for carts and horses. The other walkway or road resembles primitive foot bridges I have seen in the woods. Two trees laid horizontal over a stream with flat boards on top to walk on. Could be a foot path or a road for carts and horses. I expect they used horses in the excavation.

I think it took a lot of people at least a year to make those holes. I am surprised they have not found signs of living on the shore in the form of homes and privies and trash pits that should date the builders. What they need to do is have a organized dig with relic hunters to find the shelters and trash pits and privy diggers to find the privies.

Joe.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The whole area they have "coffer dammed" in is pretty interesting no matter if you believe Depositor or Searcher or Naval or something else. A lot of wood buried under the beach only accessible by constructing a dam and digging 3' - 10' down.... some deeper?

Once they unearth the new log road they found it would be neat to have a diagram of the U, L, road and knee walls all on one pic for discussion and speculation. Will make it easier for the imagination to run wild as there are so many possibilities here.... add in french drains, box drains, triangle drains and old Iron Templar artifacts. This will be fun!

Last edited:

sasquash

Nov 2, 2016
North of Quebec
Detector(s) used
Computers
Primary Interest:
Other
Templars naval repair operation ? No way, but vikings ...

0C370D86-0A1B-4F57-843D-F53319CE8BC4.gif

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would someone notch logs to fit together under the water? Crib docks . . . in Canada.

It's curious notching for old days - it looks modern: 2 saw cut sides, with flat notch to accept square timbers. Really old cuts would just be mating ax notches in round timbers, like the above link.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diagram of the U, L, road and knee walls all on one pic for discussion and speculation.

here is a picture that shows the pier and the U shaped structure and L shaped structure (I think can see straight wall at bottom)

smiths cove.png

(Not sure if this picture is from Laginas excavations or earlier ones)

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

will7782

Dec 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
an aspect that seems odd to me is if this were a "typical" dock, why no signs of its purpose? and why are there not similar structures all over the place? or are there and I am just not aware of it?

if there were aany type of fishing/lumber operation going on, surely there would be remnants of it. trash and processing debris. parts of buildings

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if there were aany type of fishing/lumber operation going on, surely there would be remnants of it. trash and processing debris. parts of buildings
Most of the timber they would of used would of been pine. That rots pretty quick... Their have been people living on OI for the last couple of hundred years farming etc as well as the treasure hunters so the evidence could of been destroyed..

But yes... you would of though some old tools etc would of been found...

OP
OP
W

will7782

Dec 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is that lack of finding evidence of "normal" usage that leads people to speculate, yes?

if this were a typical dock, I would think that they would be relatively common discoveries. that records of the business would pop up. somebody would have ponied up the cash for whatever enterprise it was. even fur traders of the day kept meager records that exist today.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These are all images of Oak Island. Where ar the old structures? Dug, dozed, scraped away to be searched under. At least 12 groups have excavated the island looking for treasure. It's like wondering where the candles were on a birthday cake AFTER the dozen eight-year olds at the party had been served.

And the "U" shaped structure is on the left of the image below (about even with the white vehicle) where Dunfield had built the retaining wall out into the bay in the 1960's.

oak-island-treasure-co-uk-1.jpg

compilation11-com-1.jpg

seeking-treasure-painting.jpg

ancient-origins-net.jpg

Last edited:

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smiths cove l shapped.png smiths cove.png

I think the circled area is the L shaped structure

OP
OP
W

will7782

Dec 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if there were an enterprise on OI, it certainly would have dominated that small island, yes? the cove area could be where the business activity occurred, but where did the rest of life happen? the rest of the island has remained pretty much as found, I believe.

are there any good photos of the area as it is now?

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if there were an enterprise on OI, it certainly would have dominated that small island, yes? the cove area could be where the business activity occurred, but where did the rest of life happen? the rest of the island has remained pretty much as found, I believe.

are there any good photos of the area as it is now?
It is "speculated" that the swamp may have been an attempt to make a freshwater dam to service the operation.

I am interested to see if the Laginas can find evidence that the swamp is man made..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread